Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

January transfer window rumors and gossip

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

Don't see the problem myself. All the talk is related to transfers and Spurs. I'd agree with you if the talk was about Argos or summat random like that.

I think a lot of the talk is frustration at the fact we're continually being linked with players and continually missing out on them. People are only blowing off steam. Have a heart!

There's a separate thread for giving out about Levy/ENIC

This thread is for transfer gossip.

Seems pretty straightforward to me.

If this thread is now for giving out about Levy/ENIC, could it at least be renamed?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

To be fair to dublinspur I think he's getting a lot of flak from people. This time is a bit unjust. I didn't really see anything wrong with the discussion, it was relevant to us signing players and probably more of a discussion than some random rumour.

Our community here is quite small so I guess we don't want to be alienating ourselves. Will be taking him off ignore for now. Will see how long that lasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

I hope to God Levy's isn't leaving the signings of Berinhino/Hernandez/Austin to the last minute just to save a few million.

We might save 1-2 million by signing them in dead line week/day but having one of those players for the next 3-4 games could mean a couple of additional points on the board come next May.

...which could be all the difference between finishing 5th/6th instead of 7th/8th

I hope to God Levy's isn't leaving the signings of Berinhino/Hernandez/Austin to the last minute just to save a few million.

We might save 1-2 million by signing them in dead line week/day but having one of those players for the next 3-4 games could mean a couple of additional points on the board come next May.

...which could be all the difference between finishing 5th/6th instead of 7th/8th

4th/5th instead of 6th/7th? Maybe? Optimism?...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Patww79 wrote: »
    How far down gets the Europa? 8th could be a good strategy after all.

Good strategy alright, if you want to lose any of the 'top' players we have at the club.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Ormus wrote: »

If this thread is now for giving out about Levy/ENIC, could it at least be renamed?

I suppose at times we tend to go off track. But in fairness it's all linked. The thread is for transfer rumours and gossip and I suppose our general opinion on transfer activity. When it turns in to the Levy show, it should move to the other thread.

To date this summer, the business we have done to get rid of fellas has been quite good, the only guys left that MUST go are adebayor and lennon. To think we could go another season with Adebayor on the books is sickening, but I suppose ultimately there's only so much we can do, we need someone to want him and for him to stop acting the pri*k.

We strengthened well at the back, but to think we haven't improved at all in midfield or up top is shocking. Yes we have Ali and Pritchard, but compare what we have done to the teams around us and it's so dissapointing.

We talk about having top 4 aspirations, but if I'm honest I don't think we have a hope of top 4. Once again we are playing for 5th/6th.

Harry Kane is the only striker we have (unless Soldado has a massive change in fortunes) and we still have the same midfield we had last season. We'll spend the next 2 weeks trying to bring fellas in, dragging on and on while we try save a few bob. Why not just pay the 12 odd million for charlie austin? He's guaranteed to get goals in the Premier league and would be a good partner or replacement at times for Kane.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

We only have 1 top player, Lloris. Kane might develop in to one especially if he has another season like last season, but at the minute Lloris is our only stand out top player for me.

• Advertisement

Ha ha. I was thinking the same thing after I posted it. Even Levy is sick of the EL perhaps

Yes because its the EL I'm talking about.. And not going BACKWARDS by several positions after 6-7 years of consistency.

Come on, seriously.

Backwards to move forwards. 10-12 less games, 5 or 6 less midweek trips. That would be worth at least 10 more league points considering how badly Spurs play after one of those.
    At least the extra games are worth it in the Champions League, but there is absolutely no point in the Europa if you're not winning it. And Spurs aren't winning it.

On the transfers; I'd have Hernandez over Berahino in a second. Though I see Torino are in for him too.

Better chance of winning it than finishing 4th in the next few seasons. If you think us finishing 8th is going to mean we'll do a Liverpool and leapfrog into the top 4 in one season you're having a laugh.

The top players at our club are you know, the best players in our squad. Not necessarily comparable to the likes of Ronaldo or Messi but the best of a bad bunch. Losing Kane, Vertonghen, Lloris, Eriksen and Chadli (yes he is one of the best players at our club, shameful enough) if we finish 8th would be a disaster for us.

Lloris, Vertonghen and Eriksen will almost definitely go with Kane probably to follow suit if he has a decent season again.

Getting back to the Liverpool scenario, we're building a new stadium and thus cannot simply throw money at the problem in one summer and then just bounce right into the middle of a title race because we're playing a few less games.

Entertaining the thought of finishing 8th after all our years of consistency is just idiotic.

Living on the opposite timezone I'll tell you I'm the first to say I hate the EL as it pushes most of our games to a Sunday night for me. So I end up missing a lot of live games. It sucks but I'll suck it up if it means we keep pushing the top 4 teams in the league every season on a much smaller budget.

irishmover wrote: »

Brilliantly written article. The one about where N'Jie would play is interesting too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

I guess it's just the time of the year that this thread is prominent. People have their own reasons for believing why transfer gossip isn't being turned in to truth and that, in some cases, relates to ENIC.

Nest month onwards this thread will be dead and everything will be going through the ENIC/DL thread - unless we're doing well! :D

Hatch99 wrote: »
    We talk about having top 4 aspirations, but if I'm honest I don't think we have a hope of top 4. Once again we are playing for 5th/6th.

I've almost settled for 5th/6th this season as I can see Poch is trying to blood the youth this season, it almost makes the viewing experience more enjoyable. I'll have full 4th aspirations next season!

Hatch99 wrote: »
    Why not just pay the 12 odd million for charlie austin? He's guaranteed to get goals in the Premier league and would be a good partner or replacement at times for Kane.

Can't agree more. 18 PL goals in a terrible QPR team last season, plus can play up front on his own. I don't know how he hasn't been signed by anyone yet. Maybe he sees Spurs as the team that rejected him and doesn't want to come back?

Brilliantly written article. The one about where N'Jie would play is interesting too.

Should follow it. A good blog.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

just to lighten the mood - anyone remember Rivaldo's letter to Hoddle ?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/t/tottenham_hotspur/2164372.stm

• Registered Users Posts: 4,628 ✭✭✭golfball37

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/t/tottenham_hotspur/2164372.stm

I notice a familiar name in trouble further down.

• Advertisement

Lighten the mood? That's just annoyed me even more. Why? Because the comments hoodle made about Levy's efforts to almost sign Rivaldo sound just like AVB's comments when we almost signed Moutinho 2 or 3 summers ago and Pochs comments last summer when we didn't sign Schneiderlin.

I'm totally lost here. How does Rivaldo going to Milan lighten the mood? What did Poch say about us missing out on Schneiderlin? What's any of this got to do with current transfer gossip?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

it thought the whole thing was very amusing - we were never going to sign him

what was the point is telling the fans that he sent us a letter thanking us for our interest ?

Hilarious

I was pissed off at the time - but can look back and laugh at it now

it thought the whole thing was very amusing - we were never going to sign him

what was the point is telling the fans that he sent us a letter thanking us for our interest ?

Hilarious

Presumably because the press asked Hoddle about it and Hoddle likes to talk nonsense.

Have you never read a newspaper? They're full of stories like this. Seriously buy a copy of the Star or something, you'll be laughing for weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

• Registered Users Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

http://www.101greatgoals.com/blog/roberto-soldado-spotted-at-gatwick-tells-tottenham-fans-hes-going-to-villarreal-tweets/?

Roberto Soldado spotted at Gatwick; Tells Spurs fans he’s going to Villarreal

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    Roberto Soldado spotted at Gatwick; Tells Spurs fans he’s going to Villarreal

That's a pity. You can't lack his effort.

I hope he goes on and does well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

That's a pity. You can't lack his effort.

I hope he goes on and does well.

He'd a fantastic goal scoring ratio before joining Tottenham, looked a home banker. He's only 30, Villarreal should get a few years service.

Fingers crossed Ade goes, Villa or West Ham?

Supposedly Fazio could be leaving, even on loan possibly.

I'd love another striker on top of Ndjie and a DM.

Deadline day will be a hive of activity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

Just goes to show when it comes to transfer activity do not believe a word Poch or the club says, only last week he was still in his plans :D

• Advertisement

I think he has to say that kind of thing in order to get a better deal when selling him. If he publicly said he didn't want him then Villarreal would be in a stronger bargaining position? That's my guess anyway!

Advertisement