Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

January transfer window rumors and gossip

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

Berahino is a younger palyer, he scored more goals last year and is a different type of player than Austin. He's worth 20million in todays market, just sign him and get on with it, so we can get ourselves a decent experienced cen midfielder

He is younger, he scored two more goals in 7 more games, and 4 less in the same number of Premiership games. 4 of his goals came in an FA Cup match against a League 2 side iirc.

Austin seems to have a better attitude and would probably be better suited to the lone striker role. Then again who knows, maybe Berahino has more potential. Would be cool if we signed both.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

I'd prefer if we got Austin tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭DyldeBrill

I would like Austin more so. Think his overall attitude is better.

The talks of Rabiot have somewhat simmered down but I really like the look of this lad. Only problem is his moany arsed mother of an agent.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,736 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Austin all the way. But maybe the attractions to Berahino is that he is a fairly different type of player to Kane therefore offers a different option.

But Austin is better value, less risky, already settled in London, In his prime etc.

Austin all the way. But maybe the attractions to Berahino is that he is a fairly different type of player to Kane therefore offers a different option.

But Austin is better value, less risky, already settled in London, In his prime etc.

Yeah Berahino could play as one of the 3 behind Kane. Then again Kane could play behind Austin if necessary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

Austin would only be a back up to kane if he arrived, whereas we need someone who can start as well as Kane. Berahino is the better option for me IIRC hes plaed alongside Kane for england u21.
    sooner rather than later to be honest as there are other areas that also need sorting out

• Registered Users Posts: 6,917 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

There may have been injury concerns regarding Austin, I can't think of any other reason why he hasn't been snapped up.

He's a bargain, not too dissimilar to Kane. Considering our recent track record of buying halfwits, you'd think we'd be all over this.

Gonna be a long and painful season.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Does he have a criminal record or something? Might be a reason he's not being snapped up?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,736 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Austin would only be a back up to kane if he arrived, whereas we need someone who can start as well as Kane. Berahino is the better option for me IIRC hes plaed alongside Kane for england u21.
    sooner rather than later to be honest as there are other areas that also need sorting out

I don't have any facts to hand but I don't think their record when playing alongside each other is anything to wrote home about. (Just something I picked up on facebook, may not be accurate)

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭richardjjd

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,181 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

We're stuck with him till next year lads. No way anyone would waste their money on him. At least we won't see him playing for us again.

As for our lack of buying anyone, i said it weeks ago that i was worried, and it looks like i was right. Absolute farce that we still haven't signed a backup striker. I genuinely don't understand what the board are thinking. Without a solid midfielder and striker, we are utterly screwed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

What goes against Austin is the fact he is too slow, would rather play instead of Kane rather than alongside him and has trouble passing Medicals due to a knee problem. Berahino has pace which we lack.

mushykeogh wrote: »
    What goes against Austin is the fact he is too slow, would rather play instead of Kane rather than alongside him and has trouble passing Medicals due to a knee problem. Berahino has pace which we lack.

He's had shoulder problems, knee is fine.

Failed a medical in 2013 due to a knee problem. Was due to sign for Hull I think.

mushykeogh wrote: »
    Failed a medical in 2013 due to a knee problem. Was due to sign for Hull I think.

His knee has held up since that failed medical, it's his shoulder that keeps popping out.

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    His knee has held up since that failed medical, it's his shoulder that keeps popping out.

Yes but his knee will still show up on a medical! QPR took a gamble. Can't imagine Levy paying money for a player that is a potential injury risk. Shoulder surgery could be 12 weeks out, repairing a partial ligament tear in a knee is 6 months. Only Harry could swing a deal like that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Long Time Lurker

Adebayor to Villa still on (from a well informed Villa mate)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

It is funny because it is true.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

That's very good :D

• Advertisement

Sugarlumps wrote: »

between 2011-2013 spurs won just 1 of 7 games in Aug

in 2 of those 3 seasons spurs missed out on cl by just a point

why won't he get the deals done before a ball is kicked ?

That's an amazing and utterly depressing statistic.

Interesting that you left out last season..

Ormus wrote: »
    Interesting that you left out last season..

I think what DS is saying is that there is a strong possibility that had Spurs done their business early and had a settled squad at some point before the end of August, they may have turned that 1 point deficit into a 3 point surplus and ended up in the CL instead of Arsenal in 2 of those 3 seasons. Remember that the squad back then had Modric, VDV, Bale, etc., arguably the strongest squad of the modern Spurs era and one that should really have been in the CL more often. I realise it's all if's and obviously that wasn't the only reason for not getting 4th but when things are so tight, missing out on points in August just to potentially save a few quid on transfer fees (that the club would have easily made back in the CL) is unforgivable.

It's different now. Spurs do not have a top-4 squad, so the aim can't be 4th spot and any money saved by Levy chancing his arm at the end of the transfer window is worth it as a place or 2 lower in the league really means very little in terms of the money the club will earn over the course of the season. If he gets lucky the team gets a new player for less than expected, if he doesn't it's not a problem as he'll have saved that money and realistically Spurs will still probably finish in the top 7 - 8.

Having said all this, I fundamentally disagree with the transfer window being open for weeks after the season starts. It should close on the 1st of August, regardless of when a season starts in Spain/Germany/UK. They could perhaps allow an additional week or two in the event of a major summer tournament but outside that, close the bloody thing on the 1st of August and let the teams focus on football with the players they have.

I understand the point he's trying to make, but he's doctoring the stats to fit the narrative, as usual.

He left out last season because we started with two wins and still finished 5th.

I understand the point he's trying to make, but he's doctoring the stats to fit the narrative, as usual.

He left out last season because we started with two wins and still finished 5th.

What narrative ? That Levy is doing an awful job on football matters ?
    Of course he is - everyone bar those totally deluded can see this now.

last season those 2 opening wins were followed by an embarrassing hammering at home from Liverpool in Aug.

By far the the worst though was 2011/2012 - We had no points after 2 games, then we got Adebayor (on loan) and Scott Parker on 31 Aug and finished 1 point off 4th.

We missed on on a CL place due to a penny pinching chairman, if you see nothing wrong with his approach then I'm afraid your're a lost cause pal.

What narrative ? That Levy is doing an awful job on football matters ?
    Of course he is - everyone bar those totally deluded can see this now.

last season those 2 opening wins were followed by an embarrassing hammering at home from Liverpool in Aug.

By far the the worst though was 2011/2012 - We had no points after 2 games, then we got Adebayor (on loan) and Scott Parker on 31 Aug and finished 1 point off 4th.

We missed on on a CL place due to a penny pinching chairman, if you see nothing wrong with his approach then I'm afraid your're a lost cause pal.

Yep, you doctor the stats to improve your point. Instead of saying we won 3 out of 10 in August in the last 4 seasons, you left out last year and said 1 out of 7 between 2011 and 2013.

Last summer we made no major signings at all and won our first two games. Which proves absolutely nothing, except that it makes your moaning a little less relevant.

Yep, you doctor the stats to improve your point. Instead of saying we won 3 out of 10 in August in the last 4 seasons, you left out last year and said 1 out of 7 between 2011 and 2013.

Last summer we made no major signings at all and won our first two games. Which proves absolutely nothing, except that it makes your moaning a little less relevant.

the chairman has given us plenty of cause to moan

out of curiosity, why do you think he leaves it so late to do his business ?

also what is your actual view when it comes to his performance on football matters ?

• Advertisement

the chairman has given us plenty of cause to moan

out of curiosity, why do you think he leaves it so late to do his business ?

also what is your actual view when it comes to his performance on football matters ?

There's a brilliant article about Spurs' transfer constraints here: http://tottenhamhotspur.blogspot.com...greed.html?m=1

It is bloody annoying, I'll give you that, but it's simply not as cut and dried as you want it to be.

Levy isn't in charge of football matters, he's in charge of the running of the club.

As for the club's performance on football matters, I think they've tried spending money and that didn't work, and now they're trying to conserve money and build a young squad for the future, while also building a new stadium.

The waste of the Bale money is where it all went wrong. Until then we were making steady progress. If that money had been spent well, we would've gotten top 4. If even one of Soldado, Lamela or Paulinho had been worth what we paid for them, we would've had a chance.

Advertisement