Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

January transfer window rumors and gossip

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

Ormus wrote: »
    There's a brilliant article about Spurs' transfer constraints here: http://tottenhamhotspur.blogspot.com...greed.html?m=1

It is bloody annoying, I'll give you that, but it's simply not as cut and dried as you want it to be.

Levy isn't in charge of football matters, he's in charge of the running of the club.

As for the club's performance on football matters, I think they've tried spending money and that didn't work, and now they're trying to conserve money and build a young squad for the future, while also building a new stadium.

The waste of the Bale money is where it all went wrong. Until then we were making steady progress. If that money had been spent well, we would've gotten top 4. If even one of Soldado, Lamela or Paulinho had been worth what we paid for them, we would've had a chance.

fair enough

my view is that all roads lead to Levy at the end of the day- he has the final say on:
    • Our football structure - DOF/Head Coach or Traditional Manager set up
    • Who the actual DOF, Head Coach or manager should be
    • Transfer Budgets
    • The buying & selling of players (assets)

In the past he has used DOFs, Head Coaches and Managers to distance himself from the mess he created but when you look at it objectively he is the only common denominator in all of this.

Thankfully the fans are finally seeing through his charade - there were plenty of empty seats last Saturday - this is really bad for our 1st home game, especially given that its a Saturday 3pm K.O. - I guess more and more folk have had enough.

I don't think sacking another patsy head coach is going to cut it with the fans this time around. Another new head coach cannot work miracles when he has little or no say on the players he has to work with.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

fair enough

my view is that all roads lead to Levy at the end of the day- he has the final say on:
    • Our football structure - DOF/Head Coach or Traditional Manager set up
    • Who the actual DOF, Head Coach or manager should be
    • Transfer Budgets
    • The buying & selling of players (assets)

In the past he has used DOFs, Head Coaches and Managers to distance himself from the mess he created but when you look at it objectively he is the only common denominator in all of this.

Thankfully the fans are finally seeing through his charade - there were plenty of empty seats last Saturday - this is really bad for our 1st home game, especially given that its a Saturday 3pm K.O. - I guess more and more folk have had enough.

I don't think sacking another patsy head coach is going to cut it with the fans this time around. Another new head coach cannot work miracles when he has little or no say on the players he has to work with.

I don't think he's distanced himself from anything, he's always a presence at the Lane as far as I remember. It's not for a chairman to be giving soundbites to the press, he's not supposed to be a football expert.

The attendance on Saturday was 36,004, about 200 short of capacity. Our average last season was 35,728. Do you not think you're exaggerating a bit? Be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭oppiuy

Chelsea signing Pedro for 21 million and we are looking at this guy for a similar price..My god. I have never been as disinterested with a spurs season in all my life

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

oppiuy wrote: »
    Chelsea signing Pedro for 21 million and we are looking at this guy for a similar price..My god. I have never been as disinterested with a spurs season in all my life

Wages would have been a huge problem for us with Pedro you'd have to imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

There's a brilliant article about Spurs' transfer constraints here:

Levy isn't in charge of football matters, he's in charge of the running of the club.

business you mean

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Patww79 wrote: »
    Have you the full link to that? The one posted doesn't work and I can't see anything about it on their main page (leads with a Juve/Lamela/Llorente story).

Sorry just noticed that, IrishMover posted it in this thread a few days ago, not sure why it doesn't work now and can't find it on the blog.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

Wanyama being mentioned in the rags today.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Like the look of him but admittedly I've only seen him play a handful of times

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I doubt we'll get anyone of note at this stage. And I refuse to listen to anything the rags are talking about, as they know linking us with big names will bring in readers due to how desperate we are. Spurs linked with *spin the wheel* for *spin the wheel* :rolleyes:

While i won't go so far as to say it's been a terrible window (as to be fair, we seriously improved our defence), it's not far off it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Devo from Dublin

Every Second day im leaning towards different signings...

Today id love us to get Wanyama and Berahino.

Tomorrow it'll probably be Llorenthe and Bender..

We'll end up with Tchzicove and MacMurphy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Every Second day im leaning towards different signings...

Today id love us to get Wanyama and Berahino.

Tomorrow it'll probably be Llorenthe and Bender..

We'll end up with Tchzicove and MacMurphy!!

MacMurphy love it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,297 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

Hatch99 wrote: »
    MacMurphy love it

:P

At least he can Play The Game

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

Kiith wrote: »
    While i won't go so far as to say it's been a terrible window (as to be fair, we seriously improved our defence), it's not far off it.

Ah now, its a long way off being a terrible window! I was told the other night that Levy has signed 200 players since he became chairman!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

mushykeogh wrote:
    Ah now, its a long way off being a terrible window! I was told the other night that Levy has signed 200 players since he became chairman!

200 in 13 or 14 years ?
    Sounds about right when this summer's recruits are next seasons dead wood.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

200 in 13 or 14 years ?
    Sounds about right when this summer's recruits are next seasons dead wood.

Every year the faces change but the sleepwalk into another trophyless upper mid table finish never changes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

SKY are lining us with Wanyama, finally someone to get excited about

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭oppiuy

SKY are lining us with Wanyama, finally someone to get excited about

Is that sarcastic.....Gone are the days of the kilnsmanns linekers and Gazzas and now its Wanyama, Trippier and Wimmer

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Trippier was a good signing, and for all we know Wimmer is a great signing. Until we see them play, we can't really judge them.

As for Wanyama, I don't know enough about him to say it's good or bad, but we need another solid DM with Capoue and...what his name? gone. Dier is definitely not the answer for our DM problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

ITK's suggesting we're in early talks with RM about Illarramendi.

The article below is suggesting he'd be available in the £16m bracket, probably what we'd have to pay for Wanyama.

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/599610/Real-Madrid-offers-Liverpool-Arsenal-prepare-bids-Illarramendi

The fact that Wanyama played in the Europa Cup last night suggests he's not near a move to us. Anyway, I'd way prefer Illarramendi.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

Not necessarily, a rag like that will just pick two names from the top 6 and link them.

As it says, Arsenal already have Coquilan and Arteta.

While Liverpool have Lucas, Milner and Henderson.

It's realistically only us who are desperate for a DM.

Who knows...maybe he's desperate to play alongside Ben Davies! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭09_09_09

Long time lurker and today I decided to share my feelings, because I'm very frustrated with our dealings so far. I have just noticed we have agreed £5 million fee with West Brom for Fazio. That is £3 millon loss plus wages in a year. I don't understand why we are buying deadwood every year and keep selling them at loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

09_09_09 wrote: »
    Long time lurker and today I decided to share my feelings, because I'm very frustrated with our dealings so far. I have just noticed we have agreed £5 million fee with West Brom for Fazio. That is £3 millon loss plus wages in a year. I don't understand why we are buying deadwood every year and keep selling them at loss.

We need a decent squad to rotate on all fronts.

You should take a look at Ferguson's deadwood record. He's bought some awful ****e over the years at united.

Also welcome to the forum! Definitely don't make it a one time visit :) stay, Dublin spur has cake.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Not necessarily, a rag like that will just pick two names from the top 6 and link them.

As it says, Arsenal already have Coquilan and Arteta.

While Liverpool have Lucas, Milner and Henderson.

It's realistically only us who are desperate for a DM.

Lucas may be on the way out. I wouldn't be surprised if Liverpool got him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

09_09_09 wrote: »

The signings of Fazio and Stambouli were a complete joke, they were second choice to what the manager wanted and what a surprise they did not last a year.

Spurs don't play in the Champions League and don't pay Champions League wages. For this reason, Spurs generally can't sign proven Champions League standard players. So the alternative is to buy players who are definitely of lower quality and are reliable, or players who are of lower quality now but have potential to develop into top quality players. This is a risky strategy, a case of trial and error. You win some, you lose some. For every Modric or Berbatov, there are likely to be several Chiriches and Lamelas. The players who don't work out become deadwood and can be hard to shift because they may not get the same wages elsewhere. The club is generally good at minimising its losses on these players, but it's not easy. We took massive losses on Soldado and Paulinho for example, but we needed them off the wage bill before we could look to replace them.

We took massive losses on Soldado and Paulinho for example, but we needed them off the wage bill before we could look to replace them.

And to be fair, how many of us were super excited when we signed paulhino, Soldado, lamela etc? Most of us here thought we were buying good quality players!

• Advertisement

mushykeogh wrote: »
    And to be fair, how many of us were super excited when we signed paulhino, Soldado, lamela etc? Most of us here thought we were buying good quality players!

Yeah Soldado especially, I thought he was almost guaranteed to be a success, a proven scorer in La Liga over a good number of seasons.

Advertisement