Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

January transfer window rumors and gossip

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Charliebull

good signing i hope

lets hope for a centre mid to relieve Dier (who is nowhere near good enough for the position) and an out and out number 9 to support Kane

I can see us panicking and buying Austin at the last minute with Sky cameras and commentator having an orgasm outside the ground wondering if paperwork will be lodged in time

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

good signing i hope

lets hope for a centre mid to relieve Dier (who is nowhere near good enough for the position) and an out and out number 9 to support Kane

I can see us panicking and buying Austin at the last minute with Sky cameras and commentator having an orgasm outside the ground wondering if paperwork will be lodged in time

Not so sure he's going to disappear from midfield soon.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/15122/9967942/eric-dier-in-midfield-why-tottenham-can-reap-the-long-term-benefits

• Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Mr. Guappa wrote:
    Yes.. amazing how spending a decent wedge on some lad I'd never heard of until this week can quadruple my positivity!

I know. If we signed some unknown south Korean lad 3 or 4 seasons ago we would have been spitting feathers .. "we need to sign a proven epl striker etc etc" but we are so desperate for something at the moment that Levy has us eating out of his hands for this.

I know. If we signed some unknown south Korean lad 3 or 4 seasons ago we would have been spitting feathers .. "we need to sign a proven epl striker etc etc" but we are so desperate for something at the moment that Levy has us eating out of his hands for this.

I was wondering how long it was going to take for someone to have another moan at levy.

This is starting to go out of fashion now lads. Getting a bit old.... We all know that there's things wrong with the club its been talked to death.. Can we just drop the ****ing moaning for a few days and enjoy a new signing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

Levy out! For signing players or not signing players, the choice is yours!

• Advertisement

irishmover wrote:
    I was wondering how long it was going to take for someone to have another moan at levy.

Well you know you can always rely on me for that.
    irishmover wrote:
    This is starting to go out of fashion now lads. Getting a bit old.... We all know that there's things wrong with the club its been talked to death.. Can we just drop the ****ing moaning for a few days and enjoy a new signing.

My point was that until recently, us fans where calling for levy to sign up some proven epl performers rather then taking risks on another Vlad, Lamela, Paulinho , Soldado etc
    ... but things have come full circle and at this stage beggers cannot be choosers and we'll be happy with anyone at this stage.

mushykeogh wrote:
    Levy out! For signing players or not signing players, the choice is yours!

C'mon. He's signed one player that he should have signed 6 weeks ago and you want to congratulate him for that.

Everyone on here has been ranting about the need for new players for the last 2 weeks surely ye can't be content with this one signing.

Well you know you can always rely on me for that.

My point was that until recently, us fans where calling for levy to sign up some proven epl performers rather then taking risks on another Vlad, Lamela, Paulinho , Soldado etc
    ... but things have come full circle and at this stage beggers cannot be choosers and we'll be happy with anyone at this stage.

C'mon. He's signed one player that he should have signed 6 weeks ago and you want to congratulate him for that.

Everyone on here has been ranting about the need for new players for the last 2 weeks surely ye can't be content with this one signing.

Oh well, there's a second ignore. Can't be ****ed with the sheer scale of depression from some people.

Wimmer, Alderwiereld, Trippier, Nidge and now Son and I'm sure at least one more. Of course I'd like them earlier but who knows. At least we signed players!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

He's scored goals in the Bundesliga, World Cup and Champions League. You might not have seen much of him, but he's very well known.

Ormus wrote: »
    He's scored goals in the Bundesliga, World Cup and Champions League. You might not have seen much of him, but he's very well known.

Yeh but he doesn't have PL experience. Levy out...

Am I doing it right?

• Advertisement

irishmover wrote: »
    Yeh but he doesn't have PL experience. Levy out...

Am I doing it right?

Spot on

Also, it's all just a devious plot by Levy to get us eating out of his hand.

And it's all just a devious plot by the club to increase our fanbase in Asia, and the club will insist on never playing him just to stick it to the fans as usual.

Spot on

Also, it's all just a devious plot by Levy to get us eating out of his hand.

And it's all just a devious plot by the club to increase our fanbase in Asia, and the club will insist on never playing him just to stick it to the fans as usual.

Yeh all jokes aside. We had a nice debate about this not too long ago. There are problems in the club. We all know there is. There's no denying that, there's also no denying that the club has moved up exponentially in stature since these guys came in.

The debate just goes round in circles nobodies a winner just a bunch of depressed football fans.

We signed a new player, a player that again on paper looks impressive. People just can't embrace it, it has to aid some twisted agenda no matter what.

Almost makes you wonder what's the point in supporting the club at all? When apparently no matter what happens someone comes along and attempts to ruin it, to downgrade it to something that's a bit pointless. Nobody can just sit back and be happy. Always has to be some business reason why we sign someone or do anything.

These people need to just sit back and think for a second as to why they follow football, nevermind Spurs but football in general.

**** me what would these people be like if we actually won a trophy? Not good enough? Just a money generating scheme from Levy? Building the new stadium? New training ground? Sure isn't that all just a money making scheme.. Who gives a ****. Our players have a new training ground and we'll have a new state of the art stadium to go and support our team.

What is the point in being so bitter.

Oh well, there's a second ignore. Can't be ****ed with the sheer scale of depression from some people.

Ah c'mon now - lets not be childish. I'm sure your better then that.

Listen, everyone reads things differently on forums like this, its easy for two different people to read the same post and come to two completely different conclusions, thats the nature of the beast.

- I'm not trying to bring negativity to the forum - did you not see my post after the signing new broke this morning that said "anyone else doing a happy dance right now" ... I'm delighted we have signed someone , I'm just not going to start kissing DL's ass for it. Thats like leaving your car into a garage for a service and thanking the mechanic when he fixes it 3 weeks later instead of in the reasonable amount of time that it should have taken in the first place. Of course, you'd be happy to have your car back but would you be happy with the service from the mechanic. would you go back and use them again?

I suggest you go back and read your own posts in this and the other games threads from the last week or two - because you probably more than anyone (incl more) where posting about the lack of transfer activity and the need for signings and how it shouldn't have been left until the last minute. Surely you haven't flip-flopped on your opinion on this already?

Ah c'mon now - lets not be childish. I'm sure your better then that.

Listen, everyone reads things differently on forums like this, its easy for two different people to read the same post and come to two completely different conclusions, thats the nature of the beast.

- I'm not trying to bring negativity to the forum - did you not see my post after the signing new broke this morning that said "anyone else doing a happy dance right now" ... I'm delighted we have signed someone , I'm just not going to start kissing DL's ass for it. Thats like leaving your car into a garage for a service and thanking the mechanic when he fixes it 3 weeks later instead of in the reasonable amount of time that it should have taken in the first place. Of course, you'd be happy to have your car back but would you be happy with the service from the mechanic. would you go back and use them again?

I suggest you go back and read your own posts in this and the other games threads from the last week or two - because you probably more than anyone (incl more) where posting about the lack of transfer activity and the need for signings and how it shouldn't have been left until the last minute. Surely you haven't flip-flopped on your opinion on this already?

Ugh made a mistake in taking you off ignore. I posted about the lack of transfer activity, be cause there was a lack of transfer activity. I mentioned to Ormus how I was agreeing with most people that we needed some new signings and that putting it to the end of the window doesn't really help our season. That's 100% right. It doesn't help anyone's season. That has no comparison to signing a player today. I vented my frustration in general at the lack of signings. That was what? 1? 2? Weeks ago now. I got over it.

We signed a player today. Finally another forward, I'm delighted. Its a shame it couldn't come any sooner but these things sometimes dont happen how everyone wants them to. I'm not gonna sit here and use it as another reason to vent about the owners like what you've done. You and a few others have not shut up for months now about it.

Dublin Spur being the exception in talking depressive rubbish for years now.

Everyone is entitled to a moan every now and then but Jesus Christ man, we just signed a player and you go and make a post about how levy ****ed up for not signing a player with PL experience....... All this after having a number of bids for Berahino rejected and us signing a player from the bundesliga...

Come on you can't seriously think that I'm the problem here? Ya's are a bunch of depressing eejits who need a bit of a reality check.

A levy free zone for a few days would be fantastic but I know that won't happen. I honestly think some kf you actually only support the club just so you can moan about something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭DyldeBrill

What? Please explain how we let our best players go too easy.

Also explain how firstly that's the only difference with us and the big teams and secondly why you think they don't sell and or aren't in the position where they have to sell? Take a good hard look at Chelsea, Man City and Man United before coming back with an answer.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=96783234

I never said it was the only reason but it is certainly one of the contributing factors. What do you want me to take a good long look at exactly?The fact that Chelsea have groups of players there 5 years or longer, that feature regularly says quite a lot. Man Utd are the same...Arsenal are the same. We haven't had a household name since Leders, and our current longest player is a swiveling drunk.

We seem to have more problems ridding of the unwanted than actually focusing on creating a good environment for our better players to stay. We Sell big and we buy bad.

There are some exceptions, especially in Bales situation, I'm not throwing every player we've ever sold into the same category but can you honestly say that we've done enough in the past to hold onto our main assets?

@Ormus Thats fair enough but I think we could have done more to attract the likes of Carrick, Modric and Berba to stay. Players leave because we simply don't make champions league football. How were we ever going to make it the way we sold and bought in recent years. Funds certainly isn't the issue, as the money is there. We haven't done enough to surround our top players with top signings and keeping them for the long haul. Just a matter of opinion at the end of the day.

on another note I'm delighted to see the signing of Son. we've been linked to him since 2013 so its about time we've got our mits on him. Great player with blistering pace. Exactly the kind of player we needed, lets hop he's a success!

Yeh all jokes aside. We had a nice debate about this not too long ago. There are problems in the club. We all know there is. There's no denying that, there's also no denying that the club has moved up exponentially in stature since these guys came in.

The debate just goes round in circles nobodies a winner just a bunch of depressed football fans.

We signed a new player, a player that again on paper looks impressive. People just can't embrace it, it has to aid some twisted agenda no matter what.

Almost makes you wonder what's the point in supporting the club at all? When apparently no matter what happens someone comes along and attempts to ruin it, to downgrade it to something that's a bit pointless. Nobody can just sit back and be happy. Always has to be some business reason why we sign someone or do anything.

These people need to just sit back and think for a second as to why they follow football, nevermind Spurs but football in general.

**** me what would these people be like if we actually won a trophy? Not good enough? Just a money generating scheme from Levy? Building the new stadium? New training ground? Sure isn't that all just a money making scheme.. Who gives a ****. Our players have a new training ground and we'll have a new state of the art stadium to go and support our team.

What is the point in being so bitter.

Listen...people can be happy with signings and whatnot but you can't blame people for being angry at Levy and Co. I mentioned the training ground as a great bit of business but it certainly doesn't make Levy in the clear. This is the beauty about opinion...everyone as one and you seem to get bothered when someone as a different one to your. I think people would be delighted if we won a trophy....but what trophies have we won? What is there to be happy about? You can't blame people for being somewhat depressed as you put it for the lack of trophies we've got.

It goes a lot deeper than you've just described. The stadium still has its complications. Would you not rather someone running a club for pure football reasons rather than financial reasons?

I don't think we've moved up in stature either. We used to win trophies, under Levy's reign we haven't. Not much of a success story there in footballing terms is there?

I try to remain as positive as I can and I'll always give credit where credits due but I don't think Levy's our man to lead us forward. We can be happy about new signings all we want but in the end they have to do the business something I really hope happens.

Sorry for the clogging of the thread, only seeing these one after another.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

lads anyone on here who honestly believes that levy/lewis/enic etc... actually give a shiet about the football side of things is delusional. They see it as a business that will make them profit. If some yank based investment company came along and bought us out for the sole reason of having the NFL franchise and wanted to fold up the football side of things enic would happily sell up for the right money (hypothetically of course and im not saying it will happen). Sometimes we all need to realize that the owners of the football club dont care about the football. As a supporter since 81 I realized this along time ago but over the years we have had some entertaining football played and thats what got me hooked on THFC. Since levy et al. has come in those entertaining performances have been fewer and fewer... such a shame, but im not going to pretend that they have any other agenda other than getting the biggest return on the investment that they put in when the sell up, and at the moment by having the net profit they have they are taking the piss more than ever.
    COYS

Any transfer gossip?��

irishmover wrote:
    Everyone is entitled to a moan every now and then but Jesus Christ man, we just signed a player and you go and make a post about how levy ****ed up for not signing a player with PL experience....... All this after having a number of bids for Berahino rejected and us signing a player from the bundesliga...

I think you misinterpreted my post or perhaps I should have articulated it better .

What I was trying to say was that a couple of season ago (due to a number of high profile foreign flops) we (some but not all supporters) were calling for a change in policy that meant signing players with epl experience were possible... less risk, proven record, yada yada..

... but now I'm saying that we (the same fans who were calling for this) have conceded on this hope such is our need to sign some new players - fowards in particular. That's all. I know we aren't in a position to sign proven epl players anymore. I accept this. I wasn't trying to say we should only be signing proven epl players now, in this window. That's unrealistic. I'm just saying we have no choice but to take a punt on these bundesliga guys now.

And yes, I do moan on here quiet a bit. But that's not going to change so if you can't deal with that then perhaps it's best for all that you pop me back on your ignore list.

• Advertisement

Looks like I'm not the only one who has a moan eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

c95fad4b.jpg

DyldeBrill wrote: »
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=96783234

I never said it was the only reason but it is certainly one of the contributing factors. What do you want me to take a good long look at exactly?The fact that Chelsea have groups of players there 5 years or longer, that feature regularly says quite a lot. Man Utd are the same...Arsenal are the same. We haven't had a household name since Leders, and our current longest player is a swiveling drunk.

We seem to have more problems ridding of the unwanted than actually focusing on creating a good environment for our better players to stay. We Sell big and we buy bad.

There are some exceptions, especially in Bales situation, I'm not throwing every player we've ever sold into the same category but can you honestly say that we've done enough in the past to hold onto our main assets?

@Ormus Thats fair enough but I think we could have done more to attract the likes of Carrick, Modric and Berba to stay. Players leave because we simply don't make champions league football. How were we ever going to make it the way we sold and bought in recent years. Funds certainly isn't the issue, as the money is there. We haven't done enough to surround our top players with top signings and keeping them for the long haul. Just a matter of opinion at the end of the day.

Arsenal have always made champions league and their best players have always left: Henry, Vieira, Fabregas, Nasri, Adebayor (ha), Sagna, RVP, Anelka.

There's always gonna be somewhere where the grass (as in the money) is greener.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭mullaj00

One got. Another CB, DM, AM and ST to go!!:)

I think you misinterpreted my post or perhaps I should have articulated it better .

What I was trying to say was that a couple of season ago (due to a number of high profile foreign flops) we (some but not all supporters) were calling for a change in policy that meant signing players with epl experience were possible... less risk, proven record, yada yada..

... but now I'm saying that we (the same fans who were calling for this) have conceded on this hope such is our need to sign some new players - fowards in particular. That's all. I know we aren't in a position to sign proven epl players anymore. I accept this. I wasn't trying to say we should only be signing proven epl players now, in this window. That's unrealistic. I'm just saying we have no choice but to take a punt on these bundesliga guys now.

And yes, I do moan on here quiet a bit. But that's not going to change so if you can't deal with that then perhaps it's best for all that you pop me back on your ignore list.

A couple of seasons ago we signed a load of players from abroad and they flopped. So the press narrative was that we should have bought premier league experience. Then Southampton went and signed a load of foreigners and they excelled and that story died down, cos everyone realised that the quality of the player is a lot more important than their nationality.

@sugarlumps

Too right it's gay. It's all Levy's fault. He should only sign proven gay players in a cynical attempt to capitalise on the lucrative (and extremely stylish) gay football fan market.

Anyone else doing a happy dance right now?

I'll have a little boogie when we finally get rid of the juju fella! :P

mullaj00 wrote: »

We're fine for centre backs: Verts, Alder, Wimmer, Dier

We're fine for attacking mids: Eriksen, Clinton, Son, Chadli, Pritchard, Alli, Dembele, Townsend, Carroll

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Hammar

mullaj00 wrote: »

I think we're about covered there no?
    N'jie,Kane, Son,as a front trio,i wouldnt be suprised if we are done with forwards.
    Midfielders definitely needed though.

• Advertisement

We're fine for centre backs: Verts, Alder, Wimmer, Dier

We're fine for attacking mids: Eriksen, Clinton, Son, Chadli, Pritchard, Alli, Dembele, Townsend, Carroll

Verts = Needs to be dropped. Bad attitude and lazy
    Alderweireld = Quality
    Wimmer = Still to get a run out
    Dier = Being played DM. Needs to be an out and out CB.
    We still need a strong CB

Eriksen = Needs to be involved for 90 minutes, not in patches
    Clinton/Son/Chadli/Townsend = All attack from the flanks
    Alli = Quality (still young and unproven)
    Pritchard = Still to get a proper run out
    Dembele = Good, but needs to get into the box, not stopping and holding off players
    Carroll = Too light
    We still need a strong box to box AM

Advertisement