Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

January transfer window rumors and gossip

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Patww79 wrote: »
    It's closed so benefit of the doubt from me for now, nothing can be done. The last time a load was spent in a window it wasn't exactly a roaring success anyway. The magnificent waste of money 7.

article-2420146-1BCCF40E000005DC-646_634x332.jpg

Jesus that photo would make you not know whether to laugh or cry.

Why does our club not spend money was the first thing.. Why does our club buy rubbish was the second... Now we're back to why does our club not spend money.

And people on here wonder why others get bored of the vicious we hate levy circle.

In the end its a load of bollix in the end. People search for stuff to be angry about.

Sign Berahino sure what use would that be? When he's found out to be a mercenary or just bad people will be back on the bandwagon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

Martin567 wrote: »
    What an ironic username you've got.

The part in bold is particularly contemptible. I would struggle to find anything positive to say about people with your type of attitude. Absolutely pathetic.

what is pathetic about my attitude?
    is it the attitude of despair that we have someone running our football club solely as a business that can accumulate the most profit prior to be sold to the highest bidder?

or is it the despair that we currently are facing the next 4 months with one striker in a squad who had barely played a game for us a year ago and is currently struggling with the weight of expectation, tiredness and a lack of confidence that is affecting his goal scoring?

or is it my attitude towards our transfer policy of not providing managers with the players they want and instead spending less money on poor alternatives, consequentially leading to the manager being the scapegoat for a profit motivated transfer policy... which also increases the net profit for the owners?

maybe its the fact that anytime we have a world class player they leave the club despite our chairman saying they wont be sold... (carrick/berbs/modric/bale etc...)

or maybe its the fact that even the often pro-enic supporters trust have issued a statement calling for a "credible explanation from THFC’s Board to address the genuine concerns of supporters, many of whom have backed the current Board consistently... "

I could go on and on, but then again my attitude is absolutely pathetic to the likes of posters like yourself who continue to wave the enic flag and have a wait and see attitude... instead of recognizing the pups that we are being taken for by the cretins that hold the power at the club we love. But if you are content to do this by all means, continue to do so, but please remember that some of us actually enjoy football and like to win cups and be entertained, and we release that this is happening less often today despite our 'value' being sky high.

Profit to the determent of football is what is pathetic
    ENIC AND LEVY OUT

COYS

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭09_09_09

The following period of upcoming games are going to tell us a lot about where we are heading this season:

September 20th: Crystal Palace (H)
    September 23rd: Arsenal (H)
    September 26th: Manchester City (H)
    October 1st: Monaco (A)
    October 4th: Swansea (A)
    October 17th: Liverpool (H)
    October 22nd: Anderlecht (A)

For a young squad with 3 points from 4 games, a manager with a high pressing football philosophy, with expectations of a top 6 finish and some cup success, and several players left to integrate (not to mention a key player having a knee injury and only one out and out striker), that is a brutal set of fixtures. The snowball effect from a few bad results here could be catastrophic for Pochettino. I'm not even going to discuss the Sunderland or Qarabag games, because anything less than three points in those fixtures will be met with howls of discontent that I don't even want to imagine.

At the end of the day, I believe the harshest lesson that many will learn this season is that you can no longer be austere in the transfer market and maintain your hold on a top 6 place. Some of us having been arguing that for some time, but I think it'll become much more clear by this spring that the television deal has brought a modicum of parity to a large portion of the league.

I fear for the worst, but blindly hoping Clinton & Son will take this league like Ayew & Payet not like Soldado & Lamela....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

How anyone can still make excuses for the actions of our chairman is beyond me.

The saddest of which is using examples of other clubs failings as a weird acceptance of Levy's.

Open your fcuking eyes, hes been taking the piss for years, getting richer and getting away with it due to fans blind & misplaced loyalty. The fcuking parasite.

09_09_09 wrote: »
    At the end of the day, I believe the harshest lesson that many will learn this season is that you can no longer be austere in the transfer market and maintain your hold on a top 6 place

Are you only talking about Spurs or in general? Because if that's in general you've made a pretty bold statement..

Remember, Arsenal were also linked with a lot of players. In particular Benzema but ended up signing no outfielders.
    Arsenal
    Incoming:
    Petr Cech (undisclosed)
    Outgoing:
    Ryo Miyaichi (St Pauli) Undisclosed
    Semi Ajayi (Cardiff City) Undisclosed
    Abou Diaby Released
    Ainsley Maitland-Niles (Ipswich Town) Loan
    Lukas Podolski (Galatasaray) Undisclosed
    Carl Jenkinson [Arsenal – West Ham] Loan
    Yaya Sanogo [Arsenal – Ajax] Loan
    Wojciech Szczesny [Arsenal – Roma] Loan
    Abou Diaby [Arsenal – Marseille] Free
    Serge Gnabry [Arsenal – West Brom] Loan
    Josh Vickers [Arsenal – Swansea] Free

Tottenham
    Incoming:
    Kieran Trippier (undisc.)
    Kevin Wimmer (undisc.)
    Toby Alderweireld [Atletico Madrid – Tottenham] Undisclosed
    Clinton N’Jie [Lyon – Tottenham] Undisclosed
    Son Heung-min [Bayer Leverkusen – Tottenham] £22m
    Outgoing
    Brad Friedel (retired)
    Lewis Holtby (undisc.)
    Paulinho (£9.9million)
    Etienne Capoue [Tottenham – Watford] Undisclosed
    Younes Kaboul [Tottenham – Sunderland] Undisclosed
    Benjamin Stambouli [Tottenham – Paris St-Germain] £6m
    Roberto Soldado [Tottenham – Villarreal] £7m (reported)

In reality we let go of not many more players that we would argue should be in the first team than Arsenal have done. So the question is, have we strengthened compared to Arsenal? If you're talking in general then it would appear we have.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

Patww79 wrote: »
    Speaking of Trippier and Wimmer? Were they Levy signings that the manager doesn't rate? If fit surely they deserve a start over Walker and Vertonghen.

You realise we're 3 games into the season and have lost only one game, away to United?

It hasn't been great so far, but neither has it been a disaster. Vertonghen was good against Everton.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

Ormus wrote: »
    You realise we're 3 games into the season and have lost only one game, away to United?

It hasn't been great so far, but neither has it been a disaster. Vertonghen was good against Everton.

i dont think the issue is strictly to do with the actual results so far. If we are honest we deserved a point at OT against a utd team that were brutal, and we should have beaten everton if poor Harry wasn't running around on his own without a rest since last november with his confidence shattered.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Charliebull

i totally agree with you there, the mass hysteria on here is going a bit overboard, ok we did not sign a striker, we all know we need one, pooch identified one, we bid 4 times, WBA chairman throw a wobbler and now has a disgruntled player to deal with, what more can we do, panic and buy some waste of space for the sake of it

we spent 40 million on 2 forward players, we spent on our defence, we got rid of most of the dung we had

but lets all protest, get rid of ENIC and with a bit of luck we will get Mike Ashley or David Gold

the only laughing stock is other fans reading this and going away laughing at the way us spurs fans are overreacting to a fcuking transfer window

but lets all protest, get rid of ENIC and with a bit of luck we will get Mike Ashley or David Gold

the only laughing stock is other fans reading this and going away laughing at the way us spurs fans are overreacting to a fcuking transfer window

new owners could be worse than ENIC, that's totally possible.
    but they could be better too

the one thing we do know is that with this mob we can totally forget about winning trophies & signing star players.

there is no hope with ENIC, and hope is key to all supporters. Instead with ENIC we are on a long term sleepwalk into the 6th or 7th every year with no net spend and maybe the odd cup final defeat every 5 years. Best players sold to rivals whilst smaller clubs buy better players than we have.

The most annoying thing about ENIC is they are doing great for themselves but our club isn't. ENIC are using the club we love to increase their wealth.

I wouldn't mind if they really tried to provide us with a top quality team and failed doing their best. But the reality is they don't even try, that's why we have a surplus net spend and that's why we see embarrassing pissing about year after year on the last day of the transfer window. Proper clubs secure their targets and pay the going rate during pre-season.

Also how many clubs/chairman has Levy pissed off over the years, Clubs hate doing business with us because of this clown. WBA is just the latest on a long list. Levy has turned us into one of the most hated club for transfer dealings in Europe.

I wonder how many more managers he will get away with sacking before all fans see that the real problem all along is at the top and not the guy in the dugout. I reckon we're very close to a fan revolt. It can't come soon enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭09_09_09

irishmover wrote: »
    Are you only talking about Spurs or in general? Because if that's in general you've made a pretty bold statement..

Remember, Arsenal were also linked with a lot of players. In particular Benzema but ended up signing no outfielders.

In reality we let go of not many more players that we would argue should be in the first team than Arsenal have done. So the question is, have we strengthened compared to Arsenal? If you're talking in general then it would appear we have.

I'm note sure why you are comparing us to Arsenal. They were looking for a top quality player to improve their first XI, and we were looking for at least a striker (& midfielder) to give helping hand to Kane. Our needs are different at the moment. They are trying to have a go at the title and we are trying to break into top 4. They already have a numbers of good quality players to finish in top 4.

We can see levy & co. tried his best to sign Berhanio, but why put your all eggs in one basket. I refused to believe that there were no other options for forwards to play in cups and Europa league. This is why I and the others are disappointed. In the end, I am glad that we did not sign Berhanio. He has acted like an idiot (lack of respect) towards his own club. He would have done same to us in a year or two if he becomes successful. Now we just need to pray Kane finds his shooting boot after the international break and stay injury free for rest of the season.

Again if we guys have the same opinion(s) about everything then this place will be boring :D. In the mean time positivenote is becoming negativenote ;).

I am not worried about league position now. I just want to see pacey forwards rip the **** out of full backs for the remainder of the season.

Always, The Future Is Bright; The Future Is Lillywhite

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

How anyone can still make excuses for the actions of our chairman is beyond me.

The saddest of which is using examples of other clubs failings as a weird acceptance of Levy's.

Open your fcuking eyes, hes been taking the piss for years, getting richer and getting away with it due to fans blind & misplaced loyalty. The fcuking parasite.

Don't even bother mate, there is a divide in here which is sample size of the divide amongst our support in general. I also do not care what other clubs do as this is about Tottenham Hotspur and not any other club. The proof of the pudding will be when Levy fails to even nearly fill his new stadium, you can't have a top class stadium and a mediocre team and expect to sell all the tickets.

KingdomYid wrote: »
    Don't even bother mate, there is a divide in here which is sample size of the divide amongst our support in general. I also do not care what other clubs do as this is about Tottenham Hotspur and not any other club. The proof of the pudding will be when Levy fails to even nearly fill his new stadium, you can't have a top class stadium and a mediocre team and expect to sell all the tickets.

I know, I just can't believe how some folk are so acceptant of his actions, some are even supportive of them.

The mismanagement of the club must be particularity painful for the likes of yourself who travel over on a regular basis, and spend a lot of money doing so. I can't bring myself to do it anymore but fair play to you and others that continue to do it.

09_09_09 wrote: »
    I'm note sure why you are comparing us to Arsenal. They were looking for a top quality player to improve their first XI, and we were looking for at least a striker (& midfielder) to give helping hand to Kane. Our needs are different at the moment. They are trying to have a go at the title and we are trying to break into top 4. They already have a numbers of good quality players to finish in top 4.

We can see levy & co. tried his best to sign Berhanio, but why put your all eggs in one basket. I refused to believe that there were no other options for forwards to play in cups and Europa league. This is why I and the others are disappointed. In the end, I am glad that we did not sign Berhanio. He has acted like an idiot (lack of respect) towards his own club. He would have done same to us in a year or two if he becomes successful. Now we just need to pray Kane finds his shooting boot after the international break and stay injury free for rest of the season.

Again if we guys have the same opinion(s) about everything then this place will be boring :D. In the mean time positivenote is becoming negativenote ;).

I am not worried about league position now. I just want to see pacey forwards rip the **** out of full backs for the remainder of the season.

Always, The Future Is Bright; The Future Is Lillywhite

This is not aimed directly at you. I just used your post as an example of whst cherry picking can do. I fully expected you to come bsck and say we can't compare ourselves to Arsenal..

Isn't it just funny how when people say we should be in the top 4 now and that we're not, its all Levy's fault his head should be hung etc etc.. Having seen people say we should be aiming to sign the big players and spend the money and its all Levy's fault we dont..

Then.. Any sign of a comment that suggests that things arent so ****ing terrible when we take a look at the clubs we're apparently supposed to be aspiring to match/finish ahead of, it becomes a game of nah we're not in the same league as them anyway.. Sure we're chasing different targets.

So when it suits the attack against the owners we'll sit and compare the clubs. When it doesn't suit we'll tell everyone they're being silly for comparing us with those clubs.

irishmover wrote: »
    This is not aimed directly at you. I just used your post as an example of whst cherry picking can do. I fully expected you to come bsck and say we can't compare ourselves to Arsenal..

Isn't it just funny how when people say we should be in the top 4 now and that we're not, its all Levy's fault his head should be hung etc etc.. Having seen people say we should be aiming to sign the big players and spend the money and its all Levy's fault we dont..

Then.. Any sign of a comment that suggests that things arent so ****ing terrible when we take a look at the clubs we're apparently supposed to be aspiring to match/finish ahead of, it becomes a game of nah we're not in the same league as them anyway.. Sure we're chasing different targets.

So when it suits the attack against the owners we'll sit and compare the clubs. When it doesn't suit we'll tell everyone they're being silly for comparing us with those clubs.

Yeah it's similar to the point you made yesterday. Everyone used to moan about Levy not spending money. Then he got Baldini to spend all the Bale money and everyone moaned about Levy wasting money. Now we're back to moaning about Levy not spending money.

I think some people have stressful lives and they use football as a way of venting that stress. That's what "supporting" Spurs means to lot of people. If it wasn't Levy it would be the next guy.

Yeah it's similar to the point you made yesterday. Everyone used to moan about Levy not spending money. Then he got Baldini to spend all the Bale money and everyone moaned about Levy wasting money. Now we're back to moaning about Levy not spending money.

I think some people have stressful lives and they use football as a way of venting that stress. That's what "supporting" Spurs means to lot of people. If it wasn't Levy it would be the next guy.

in fairness Ormus, Spurs had another net surplus in the summer Bale was sold. Don't forget that Dempsey, Suiggardson, Huddlestone and a few others were sold that summer.

I think the failure of the "magnificent 7" and the wasting of pretty much all of the Bale money has resulted in Levy never again going down that road. You can expect low key signings to be the order of the day from now on.

So in summary, when he spends big he generally fcuks it up and when he low balls clubs in deadline day he generally fcukes it up.

a very sad state of affairs

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Devo from Dublin

I was really hoping we'd buy Berahino......But we didnt.

But as previously mentioned....we got rid of a fair few statues and brought in a couple of strong reliable defenders..

A few young lads who you always feel proud of when they do well, Pritchard and Alli in particular will get their chance.

And we also spent £12M on the Anthony Martial equivalent in Clinton N'jie for 1/3 the price Utd paid!

2nd string strikers for FRENCH teams.

PLus Son could be a revelation.... just relax...we havent played 2 up top since Berba and Keaneo....

Crouch and VDV were up top for 2 years...4-4-1-1.

I cant wait for the Sunderland game...

COYS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

One striker is a serious balls up (Son and Nidge are not Strikers). Making 3 bids on the last day of the window is a balls up. Offering 5mill up front is a balls up and would piss off any chairman!

I don't think we have done badly in the window overall, but just one senior striker? Lets hope Dier can continue to grow in his midfield role (don't think he is mobile enough really).

Hope Son and Nidge just attack with speed and chip in with the goals.

Kane? I honestly think he will be Exhausted by January if his recovery is not managed properly. (Haven't seen anything that would make me believe this will happen).

Other than that, Up the Spurs!

in fairness Ormus, Spurs had another net surplus in the summer Bale was sold. Don't forget that Dempsey, Suiggardson, Huddlestone and a few others were sold that summer.

I think the failure of the "magnificent 7" and the wasting of pretty much all of the Bale money has resulted in Levy never again going down that road. You can expect low key signings to be the order of the day from now on.

So in summary, when he spends big he generally fcuks it up and when he low balls clubs in deadline day he generally fcukes it up.

a very sad state of affairs

You and your net surplus. This isn't Football Manager or whatever it's called. And there are other expenses in a club other than transfers in and out. Pesky things such as wages and new stadiums. But let's not get bogged down in financial realities, it's much more therapeutic to just have a hate figure with horns and a pitchfork.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

PLus Son could be a revelation.... just relax...we havent played 2 up top since Berba and Keaneo....

Crouch and VDV were up top for 2 years...4-4-1-1.

I cant wait for the Sunderland game...

COYS.

Yes he could be a revelation, hope he is. Yes we do not play two up top, but answer me this what happens if Kane gets crocked next week? When we had Keane and Berba we also had Defoe and Bent and when we played VDV and Crouch we had Defoe and Pav in reserve.

• Advertisement

You and your net surplus. This isn't Football Manager or whatever it's called. And there are other expenses in a club other than transfers in and out. Pesky things such as wages and new stadiums. But let's not get bogged down in financial realities, it's much more therapeutic to just have a hate figure with horns and a pitchfork.

maybe we could hire Peter Risdale to give levy some advice on how to purchase players,

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Devo from Dublin

Maybe Dier can play up front :rolleyes:

I know what you mean..... But Kane has scored only once in his last 15 Prem games..... we have started the season well, as in most clear cut chances....and most missed.... Give the other boys a chance, instead of slating the club befoe we've even seen the new lads....( not you personally) in general..

a surplus net spend = a minus investment

your man is failing us big time but your blinkers are firmly attached

Maybe Dier can play up front :rolleyes:

I know what you mean..... But Kane has scored only once in his last 15 Prem games..... we have started the season well, as in most clear cut chances....and most missed.... Give the other boys a chance, instead of slating the club befoe we've even seen the new lads....( not you personally) in general..

agree there, lets see what happens before we mass revolt

i see that idiot jamie redknapp is mouthing off again, he really dislikes levy and spurs,
    why sky have him as a pundit is beyond belief,

maybe we could hire Peter Risdale to give levy some advice on how to purchase players,

with all due respect this is the most anal of all the opinions

a surplus net spend = a minus investment

your man is failing us big time but your blinkers are firmly attached

You really don't understand do you? You think transfers are the only expense a club has.

You really don't understand do you? You think transfers are the only expense a club has.

of course not, but the net spend (- or +) is a pretty clear indicator of any club's ambition in the transfer market

for ours to be running at a surplus (5 years running) whilst only having one striker at the club is a pretty damning indictment of the Chairman performance

you can bury your head in the sand all you like but facts are facts

Levy loves people like you

with all due respect this is the most anal of all the opinions

:D:D

thats a new one one me, i like it

Risdale fired money at everything that moved and it failed spectacularly

Levy generally gets the players he wants and gets the best deal for the club in the process, there is nothing wrong with that, ok in all walks of life some things dont work out but firing money away just to get a deal done is stupid, thats my point,

maybe the manager actually told him if you dont get berahino then we will suffice and hence he cancelled lamela transfer,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

Who will we sign in the January window? :D

• Advertisement

:D:D

thats a new one one me, i like it

Risdale fired money at everything that moved and it failed spectacularly

Levy generally gets the players he wants and gets the best deal for the club in the process, there is nothing wrong with that, ok in all walks of life some things dont work out but firing money away just to get a deal done is stupid, thats my point,

maybe the manager actually told him if you dont get berahino then we will suffice and hence he cancelled lamela transfer,

nobody that I know of ever wanted ENIC to overspend and put the future of our club in doubt. Although in fairness they would have to blow around 4 billion to do that.

All anyone has ever wanted is for ENIC to put the success of the football team first and foremost and do their absolute best to deliver a successful football team. The evidence over the past 15 years tells us they don't do this. Their aim is to make money for ENIC, everything else is secondary.

By the way, do you really think if we spent an extra 2 or 3 million to secure the likes of Moutinho or Berehino we would end up "doing a Leeds" ?

Advertisement