Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

January transfer window rumors and gossip

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

Lads the divide is clear here and i know where I lie among said divide. in my opinion enic/levy/lewis etc... are involved in THFC for one reason and that is to get an increase on their investment when the sell up. anyone thinking that they are there for any other reason is being foolish and somewhat ignorant. They have failed to invest on pitch side of things (as evidenced through the money they have got in through the sale of players is alot more than the money they have put in) and it has become clear that the do not care if we never win another trophy or are as dull as dish water to watch because as long as we are in the premiership we will get TV money. This TV money has now belittled the potential profits of being in the champions league so why should they bother to try and risk putting money in on players to get us there?
    The short-mid term plan is for them to invest as little as possible in the football side of things for the next 2-3 years and then when the new stadium needs filling sign some 'big name' signings to get bums on seats and sell up to the highest bidder when there is a full stadium and buzz about the place again.
    The NFL franchise deal is the potential golden egg as this opens up the possibilities to billionaire american investors. It is all about the profit for enic and nothing to do with the football, but then again they are an investment company so what do we expect?
    The unfortunate thing is that some on here are happy with them doing what they are doing to the club and for me that is a bigger issue, but rather they would bitch and moan about pathetic attitudes, being negative, etc etc...

enic and levy out

COYS

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

Apart from the odd superfan chairman (Jack Walker, Dave Whelan, are there any/many of these left?) and the odd billionaire who wants an expensive toy (Abramovich etc), all chairmen are running their clubs as a business, to make money. It's not because they're evil, it's because THAT IS THEIR JOB.

The best way to make the most money out of a football club is by making that club successful and by spending within its means.

I kinda thought this was all common knowledge, but apparently not on this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Charliebull

nobody that I know of ever wanted ENIC to overspend and put the future of our club in doubt. Although in fairness they would have to blow around 4 billion to do that.

All anyone has ever wanted is for ENIC to put the success of the football team first and foremost and do their absolute best to deliver a successful football team. The evidence over the past 15 years tells us they don't do this. Their aim is to make money for ENIC, everything else is secondary.

By the way, do you really think if we spent an extra 2 or 3 million to secure the likes of Moutinho or Berehino we would end up "doing a Leeds" ?

i thought we lost mouthino due to third party ownership

who said we were 2-3 million apart on berehino, they never confirmed what they wanted, 25 million was mentioned, apparently we offered 5million up front and add ons from there, thats 20million from this years budget rather than spread over 5 years

id love a sugar daddy chairman like city or chelsea, we dont have one so give me a better alternative than what we have and ill join your protest until then we play the hand we are dealt

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

ah no sure its all grand... why bother protest, sure lets all just wait and see what happens..

even the supporters trust are complaining about the running of the club FFS.

ah, its a waste of time with some on here. At least I can be honest enough with myself that i care enough to be upset that we are being taken for mugs by an investment company that doesn't invest in the football side of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Left Back on the Bench

id love a sugar daddy chairman like city or chelsea, we dont have one so give me a better alternative than what we have and ill join your protest until then we play the hand we are dealt

It's sugar daddies that are ruining the game in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭mullaj00

This TV money has now belittled the potential profits of being in the champions league so why should they bother to try and risk putting money in on players to get us there?
    The short-mid term plan is for them to invest as little as possible in the football side of things for the next 2-3 years and then when the new stadium needs filling sign some 'big name' signings to get bums on seats and sell up to the highest bidder when there is a full stadium and buzz about the place again.
    The NFL franchise deal is the potential golden egg as this opens up the possibilities to billionaire american investors. It is all about the profit for enic and nothing to do with the football, but then again they are an investment company so what do we expect?

Absolutely spot on!
    When you have a corner shop, you don't put the Crown Jewels in the window.
    But when you have Harrods you want big labels on show!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

It's sugar daddies that are ruining the game in my opinion.

Hear hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

the funny thing is, we actually have a billionaire owner
    shame how he uses us to make money rather than make a great team

If he showed a bit more ambition on the player front we would have a real chance of CL qualification and the increased revenue and commercial deals that come with it. There's a fair chance he would re-coup his investment with interest.

Unfortunately he either doesn't think its worth the risk or he's just is happy with the way things are ticking over.
    Either way it's not gonna happen.

I'll tell you where I am for a football perspective:

I remember going a decade ago and genuinely believing we could score at any time. This year I'm amazed we've scored at all.

But the overall point is that we are not a team on the up, which I think is crucial in order for you to feel excitement. A decade ago we were recovering from horrific seasons and going places. The only question was where were we going to stop? And now we have, we're just ambling through. A couple of decent performances last season surrounded by dull inane rubbish mostly.

The progress we made up to 2011ish has all been wasted and we're back to being irrelevant. That is down to the owners and how they chose to run the club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

the funny thing is, we actually have a billionaire owner
    shame how he uses us to make money rather than make a great team

If he showed a bit more ambition on the player front we would have a real chance of CL qualification and the increased revenue and commercial deals that come with it. There's a fair chance he would re-coup his investment with interest.

Unfortunately he either doesn't think its worth the risk or he's just is happy with the way things are ticking over.
    Either way it's not gonna happen.

I'll tell you where I am for a football perspective:

I remember going a decade ago and genuinely believing we could score at any time. This year I'm amazed we've scored at all.

But the overall point is that we are not a team on the up, which I think is crucial in order for you to feel excitement. A decade ago we were recovering from horrific seasons and going places. The only question was where were we going to stop? And now we have, we're just ambling through. A couple of decent performances last season surrounded by dull inane rubbish mostly.

The progress we made up to 2011ish has all been wasted and we're back to being irrelevant. That is down to the owners and how they chose to run the club.

FFS, how many threads do I have to unfollow to avoid this broken record

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

jaysus!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Wept

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭leonards

Uncontrollably

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

Just as I posted in the predictions thread.

Chadli's has come on well over the last couple of seasons, with a good load of goals from midfield last year.

Son has come in and replaced Lamela, so N'Jie will struggle to get a place - and must be seen as backup for Kane.

I'm glad we sorted out the defence in this window.

Dier has done well in DM for a centre back, but he's not a DM long term. But at least we have options in there with him, Bentaleb and Alderweirld at a stretch.

Bring on Sunderland!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

FFS, how many threads do I have to unfollow to avoid this broken record

nobody makes you read my posts - this is a Spurs forum - this is a Spurs subject

actually it's the most important Spurs subject there is

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭gar

Glad we didn't get Berahino.
    The money was crazy. He's worth half that.
    Also there is baggage.
    He's throwing a strop now. What would happen if he was not getting picked regularly for us?

People here give out when we spend money and when we don't.
    I think we had a good window. Clinton and son should be good. And maybe we do a Spain on it to give kane a break. Things will be different with the stadium.

There are some here that will only be happy if we emptied the coffers just for the sake of it. And then give out when doesn't work out.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭09_09_09

Time to get behind the team guys. Leave the blame game until January now;). Hopefully, upwards and onwards..COYS!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Official statement from Levy and Poch. Sounds fine on paper, but no second striker is still a stupid situation to be in.
    Spurs Site wrote:
    “This season," underlined Mauricio, “we start with a combination of our own players who have come through the ranks and players that bring skills and experience from other leagues. Most importantly, it’s a squad of players with heart - it’s a squad I’m proud to field.”

http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/news/window-wrap-summer-2015-020915/

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Also, Son scored a hat trick for Korea last night. It was against Laos, but still :)

Eric Dier signs a new deal at the club, up to 2020. Still see him as a central defender but here hoping he develops in his midfield holding role.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Excellent news, easily one of my favourite Spurs players.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Bye.

Great to see him gone but I hope we didn't give the bastard what he wanted re paying up the contract in full.

Great to see him gone but I hope we didn't give the bastard what he wanted re paying up the contract in full.

I don't care at this stage, it's only 5m

Pocket change really :P jaysus

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭09_09_09

09_09_09 wrote: »
    I'm really surprised they have listed Ade, as a striker without any squad number. levy is just taking the piss at the moment.

Sat, 26 Sep Tottenham vs Man City 12:45 p.m

If we lose this game with cricket score then I think there will be too much booing for Levy & co.

This guy is an advanced idiot :D. He knows feck all.:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

mushykeogh wrote: »

Shame. He was doing such a good job.

Advertisement