Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

January transfer window rumors and gossip

Options

Comments

I can understand where he's coming from. He's been utterly ineffective out on the left so why play him there?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

Hatch99 wrote: »
    Fine article. But where's the ambition to grab the opportunity we have now....

I think one of the main points of the article is that spending money isn't always the solution.

United have spent 250m and are no better than when they started. Liverpool wasted the Suarez money. Spurs wasted some of the Bale money.

I'd hate to see Spurs go on a wild spending spree this month. Back up to Kane is all we need.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Left Back on the Bench

I agree its not about spending loads of cash and i personally think money has the game ruined but why can't we buy someone to play with Kane?

Poch isn't playing Eriksen 10 cos i don't think he thinks he's athletic enough. Kane has all those traits, big, strong, physical, decent with the ball.

Buy an out and out goalscorer and everyone fights for the other positions. Just don't ask me to name the out and out goalscorer😀

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

Ormus wrote: »
    I think one of the main points of the article is that spending money isn't always the solution.

United have spent 250m and are no better than when they started. Liverpool wasted the Suarez money. Spurs wasted some of the Bale money.

I'd hate to see Spurs go on a wild spending spree this month. Back up to Kane is all we need.

I agree that no 'wild spending spree' is required and I don't think anyone is asking for that, and it would never happen anyway.

All supporters want is just the right player(s) we need to take us forward and give us the best chance of winning something and/or getting into the Champions League.

This is another great opportunity, a bit like a crossroads. ENIC blew recent similar opportunities. I'm referring to 2010 when we qualified for the CL and Jan 2012 when we found ourselves in 2nd place in the league.

On both occasions they massively under invested - in the first instance only invested 8mil on VDV & in the 2nd case the semi-retired freebie pair of Saha & Nelson came.

Lets hope they've learned from their past mistakes/decisions.

I agree its not about spending loads of cash and i personally think money has the game ruined but why can't we buy someone to play with Kane?

Poch isn't playing Eriksen 10 cos i don't think he thinks he's athletic enough. Kane has all those traits, big, strong, physical, decent with the ball.

Buy an out and out goalscorer and everyone fights for the other positions. Just don't ask me to name the out and out goalscorer😀

Yeah I guess that's an option, but I really like Alli, think he's done great at 10 this season and wouldn't like to stunt his progress by dropping him.

Changing the system to 4-4-2 to play someone up top with Kane wouldn't be wise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I did mention Long a couple of pages back as a more cost effective buy then Berahino. I'd be delighted with him to be honest. From an Irish pot of view it wouldn't be ideal as he would definitely get less game time with us.

Be interesting to see who he mucks in with between us and Liverpool as to be fair we're about the same level now.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Left Back on the Bench

Ormus wrote:
    Changing the system to 4-4-2 to play someone up top with Kane wouldn't be wise.

Not saying play 4-4-2, I'm saying play Kane as 10, you'd probably get away with alli on the left coming in.

Not saying play 4-4-2, I'm saying play Kane as 10, you'd probably get away with alli on the left coming in.

Possibly. Not a bad idea in fairness

ziedth wrote: »
    I did mention Long a couple of pages back as a more cost effective buy then Berahino. I'd be delighted with him to be honest. From an Irish pot of view it wouldn't be ideal as he would definitely get less game time with us.

Be interesting to see who he mucks in with between us and Liverpool as to be fair we're about the same level now.

Southampton won't sell Long mid season except for stupid money

Yeah but he's 28 which means it's never gonna happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Sunderland chasing Ayew that we mentioned before ... Newcastle hoping to sign Andy Townsend

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭09_09_09

Hatch99 wrote: »
    Sunderland chasing Ayew that we mentioned before ... Newcastle hoping to sign Andy Townsend

Sunderland are chasing Andre Ayew from Swansea. I don't think they will sell it though.

09_09_09 wrote: »
    Sunderland are chasing Andre Ayew from Swansea. I don't think they will sell it though.

I'd be amazed if they sold him mid season, especially to a relegation rival. It's a strange rumour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

For me the Kane replacement is a bit of a catch 22.

Its clear we need another option on the bench. But be also need someone who can score 10 from now til the end of the season and whose going to be happy sitting on the bench for most of the games.

Then theres the question of want kind of striker should be bought. A like for like replacement of kane or someone who offers a different style. I am happy to back Poch watever he does but there is absolutely no point on going for someone such as Negredo or Llorente, who would change our style of play, if it is going to compromise wat has made us so good, ie, pressing from the front.

If we were united, arsenal or even liverpool good quality forwards would be happy to join regardless if they were starting every week or not.

The reality is that were looking for a proven goalscorer who will be happy on the bench and get only a handful of starts.........Adebayor anyone???

• Registered Users Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

According to our colleagues at France Football, Tottenham Hotspur have submitted an €8m offer including bonuses for Toulouse striker Wissam Ben Yedder.

The offer has been turned down because Toulouse President Sadran is seeking at least €10m for the player. But there is more. Sadran also wants to negotiate a deal whereby Ben Yedder returns to Toulouse on loan until the end of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

Charlie Austin to Southampton looks nearly done, 4m

Charlie Austin to Southampton looks nearly done, 4m

If he stays fit that seems like a snip. Presumably Long and Pelle are ahead of him in the queue though, he might've even got more games at Spurs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    According to our colleagues at France Football, Tottenham Hotspur have submitted an €8m offer including bonuses for Toulouse striker Wissam Ben Yedder.

The offer has been turned down because Toulouse President Sadran is seeking at least €10m for the player. But there is more. Sadran also wants to negotiate a deal whereby Ben Yedder returns to Toulouse on loan until the end of the season.

Never heard of him, but from Wiki he's 25, 5 '7, not much better than a goal every 3 games average for Toulouse, and a portion of those games were in Ligue 2.

Basically he's tiny and not prolific. And why we'd buy a 25 year old to loan him back for the rest of the season is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Never heard of him, but from Wiki he's 25, 5 '7, not much better than a goal every 3 games average for Toulouse, and a portion of those games were in Ligue 2.

Basically he's tiny and not prolific. And why we'd buy a 25 year old to loan him back for the rest of the season is beyond me.

Probably just fodder, interesting to see if Berahino starts for WB today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Didn't start, says it all maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

ziedth wrote: »
    Didn't start, says it all maybe?

He's been out of favour all season though really.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Devo from Dublin

why o why...31st January....everyone starts bidding....madness...
    i know its because , they want a last minute price...instead of negotiating for a big price ,

I still think we'll get Berahino..would love him tbh.

and Long.

11:22
    COULTHIRST JOINS POSH

Shaquille Coulthirst has left Tottenham to join Peterborough on a permanent deal.

The forward has signed a three-and-a-half year contract at the League One side.

11:22
    COULTHIRST JOINS POSH

Shaquille Coulthirst has left Tottenham to join Peterborough on a permanent deal.

The forward has signed a three-and-a-half year contract at the League One side.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

That's a shame. Thought he had a future at the club. Clearly not.

It's starting to look like we won't sign anyone. Poch keeps saying he's happy with his squad. I think that's a mistake, our forwards will burn out by March.

Then again maybe he knows better than me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

It's starting to look like we won't sign anyone. Poch keeps saying he's happy with his squad. I think that's a mistake, our forwards will burn out by March.

Kane needs back-up. He has played a lot of football this year for Spurs, England and England's u 21s I think. He'l be ****ed by March/April imo.

TBH we don't need back up, we need competition for Kane.

There is no point of signing back up if he cannot score goals (please do not remind me of Soldado:() .

We have a chance or best shot in a while to secure top 4 or above and I am afraid if we don't sign anything noteworthy in this window then the top 4 will be impossible because we will run out of steam in February (last season symptoms):o

• Advertisement

09_09_09 wrote: »
    TBH we don't need back up, we need competition for Kane.

There is no point of signing back up if he cannot score goals (please do not remind me of Soldado:() .

We have a chance or best shot in a while to secure top 4 or above and I am afraid if we don't sign anything noteworthy in this window then the top 4 will be impossible because we will run out of steam in February (last season symptoms):o

Competition is great, as long as it doesn't upset the balance and harmony of the squad. At the moment none of our back up players seem to be throwing the toys out of the pram. Long may that continue.

We're not capable of attracting a player of Kane's stature anyway.

Soldado was one of the highest profile signings we ever made.

Its amazing how most of our fans always want us to spend money, but whenever we do its a disaster. Look at the players we broke our transfer record for. Lamela, Paulinho, Bent, Rebrov. Not forgetting Soldado and Bentley.

Advertisement