Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

January transfer window rumors and gossip

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Anyone know how many, and who has signed for PL clubs during the January transfer window and made significant impact in that season for the club?

I think some on here might be surprised by the answer. Last I checked it was very, very few. Take a note of Torres, Mata and Andy Carroll.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

irishmover wrote: »
    Anyone know how many, and who has signed for PL clubs during the January transfer window and made significant impact in that season for the club?

I think some on here might be surprised by the answer. Last I checked it was very, very few. Take a note of Torres, Mata and Andy Carroll.

Liverpool have had some massive failures but also some massive successes (Suarez, Sturridge, Coutinho)

Papiss Cisse was amazing for a few months for Newcastle.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Everyone needs to calm down.

The Daniel Levy transfer window doesn't open until January 30th.

Ormus wrote: »
    Liverpool have had some massive failures but also some massive successes (Suarez, Sturridge, Coutinho)

Papiss Cisse was amazing for a few months for Newcastle.

As I said, very few! I would take a papiss cisse impact for 4 months though. But the chances of unearthing a player capable of making an impact like that historically is slim to none.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

Was there any word on vertonghen yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/637901/Newcastle-transfer-news-Andros-Townsend-fee-agreed

Apparently 10.5m agreed for Townsend.

A sign of the youth policy working again. He was never going to make it if we wanted to be playing Champions League football year in year out, but there's a rake of mid-table teams who would love him in their team and will pay for it!

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/637901/Newcastle-transfer-news-Andros-Townsend-fee-agreed

Apparently 10.5m agreed for Townsend.

A sign of the youth policy working again. He was never going to make it if we wanted to be playing Champions League football year in year out, but there's a rake of mid-table teams who would love him in their team and will pay for it!

Hope it's true, do we trust the Express? Unusual for Levy to back down.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Hope it's true, do we trust the Express? Unusual for Levy to back down.

From the Guardian....

But with Mauricio Pochettino keen to free up space in his squad, the Tottenham manager has personally intervened to request that the club accepts a lower bid – understood to be somewhere in the middle of the two clubs’ valuations.

Levy is believed to have sanctioned the move in principle and now Townsend will discuss personal terms with Newcastle but is expected to sign for the club in the next 48 hours.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

I feel like that bit of information is something that would be shared between the two men, and isn't something the papers should be able to know :/

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I very much doubt it's true. Poch certainly wouldn't release info like that, and i don't see any reason Townsend (or his agent) would. Probably the usual padding from the papers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

Was there any word on vertonghen yet?

Damaged knee ligaments, doesn't say extent of damage. If only strained, should be back in 3 weeks at a guess, 2 at a push.

Damn. Hope Wimmer can help keep our defense as solid as it's been. Dier might have to be moved back there otherwise, which would weaken us in midfield.

https://twitter.com/SpursOfficial/status/691916175475904514

This is all it takes lads. If Verts is out for up to 6 weeks it could damage our position.

Let's hope he's back for the City game but it sounds reasonably serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

Townsend fee agreed with Newcastle. 12 mill.

mushykeogh wrote: »
    Townsend fee agreed with Newcastle. 12 mill.

Great bit of business.

Great money for someone who has no place in the team.

He'll definitely score against us though...

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭09_09_09

Hopefully, we will try to sign at least one attacker to fill the gap but, there is no smoke at the moment.

Tidy fee for Townsend. He'll be transformed under McClaren. Impressed me when he went on loan to QPR.

Never really clicked at Tottenham, but good luck to him nevertheless.

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    Tidy fee for Townsend. He'll be transformed under McClaren. Impressed me when he went on loan to QPR.

Never really clicked at Tottenham, but good luck to him nevertheless.

Yeah as bad as he's been for us, he could do well with another club and a run of games. He was very good for QPR and initially very good when he came back to Spurs.

I say good luck to him too, I know he had a falling out with one of the staff, but that was just frustration at not playing. He always seemed to put in the effort, just didn't seem to have the football brain to go with it.

Anyone think we should panic buy a centre half to cover Vertonghen?

Lotta pressure on Wimmer now. Or maybe move Dier back. He'd be a loss from our midfield though, such a steady presence.

We shoulda taken Caulker on loan.

• Advertisement

Lotta pressure on Wimmer now.

He'll do a fine job alongside Alderweireld.

Kiith wrote: »
    He'll definitely score against us though...

He might not score, but he will definitely have a load of shots attempting to score! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Spurs have sold Townsend for what they paid for Alli, Dier and Trippier

Spurs have sold Townsend for what they paid for Alli, Dier and Trippier

Also less than half what we paid for Soldado.

Sorry to be negative.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Sorry to be negative.

Don't think the actual soldado fee was ever revealed

Closer to a few million less than Soldado. We didn't pay £26m for him...

Don't think the actual soldado fee was ever revealed

Ok. Do Spurs ever reveal fees? Maybe they do, I haven't noticed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Sorry to be negative.

To be fair Soldado was a brilliant signing* even for £30m. Remember that he had scored 100 goals in just over 200 appearances in La Liga. I'd say you could count on your fingers hoe many players have done that who we could afford.

*It obviously just didn't work out for him

ziedth wrote: »
    To be fair Soldado was a brilliant signing* even for £30m. Remember that he had scored 100 goals in just over 200 appearances in La Liga. I'd say you could count on your fingers hoe many players have done that who we could afford.

*It obviously just didn't work out for him

I agree, was thrilled when we got him, thought he was almost sure to hit the ground running. I think if he'd gotten any decent service in his first few months, he wouldn't have lost confidence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

No I wouldn't panic buy a centre half, although if Jan is out for the season you'd have to consider it.

Wimmer will be fine hopefully.

Sign Berahino and I'd be happy

Advertisement