Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

January transfer window rumors and gossip

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭prodsc

I still think there will be a bit of biz, whether its with Fulham or WBA I don't know. Pritchard loaned to WBA is a bit of a surprise after all the stories about Peace not wanting to have anything to do with Levy!

A total surprise might be good but unlikely!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

No signings then. People were outraged after the summer window shut and look what happened.

I guess what I'm saying is everyone has free reign to be outraged now too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

irishmover wrote: »
    No signings then. People were outraged after the summer window shut and look what happened.

I guess what I'm saying is everyone has free reign to be outraged now too.

Not much point getting outraged really as was not expecting much to happen, am disappointed though.

Patww79 wrote: »
    Nailed on for a Kane injury now.

Though I still trust Poch and glad there's no Berahino. No signings are better than the wrong ones.

Had no interest in Berahino either. Glad we didn't sign him. £25m was a stupid amount of money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Exactly I'd rather have £25m in the summer and sign someone who can make a real impact then have overpaid at least £15m for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Just reading that Newcastle offered 21m up front for him but Jeremy Peace would rather he sit in the bench and run his contract down. He's not worth that, delighted Levy didn't bite.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

A great chance to get top 4 or better and we're stuck with just one striker for the run in,very disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

tippspur wrote: »
    A great chance to get top 4 or better and we're stuck with just one striker for the run in,very disappointed.

Agree. Great opportunity to actually challenge for the title and we stand still, and prefer to Offload by shipping out Townsend fazio Pritchard...and then let the Serbian go who was apparently a good prospect??

Just hope it doesn't come back to bite us..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

Hatch99 wrote: »
    Agree. Great opportunity to actually challenge for the title and we stand still, and prefer to Offload by shipping out Townsend fazio Pritchard...and then let the Serbian go who was apparently a good prospect??

Just hope it doesn't come back to bite us..

It's not a case of standing still, it's Poch deciding that he'd prefer to work with what he's got rather than make signings for the sake of it.

I agree that it seems odd, a back up striker would surely have given us a better chance of success, but I admire Poch for sticking to his guns.

A lot of our 'fans' will use it as a stick to beat him with if we don't win the title.

Or just blame the boogeyman Levy as is time honoured tradition.

• Advertisement

Ormus wrote: »
    It's not a case of standing still, it's Poch deciding that he'd prefer to work with what he's got rather than make signings for the sake of it.

I agree that it seems odd, a back up striker would surely have given us a better chance of success, but I admire Poch for sticking to his guns.

A lot of our 'fans' will use it as a stick to beat him with if we don't win the title.

Or just blame the boogeyman Levy as is time honoured tradition.

Disagree completely, fans don't realistically think we'll win the league I don't think, however if we get pipped to 4th for example, people will once again look at it as a great opportunity missed.

Opinions opinions is what it's all about

Hatch99 wrote: »
    Disagree completely, fans don't realistically think we'll win the league I don't think, however if we get pipped to 4th for example, people will once again look at it as a great opportunity missed.

Opinions opinions is what it's all about

They don't expect us to win the title now, but if we miss out by a few points there will be those who say Berahino would've made the difference.

Ormus wrote: »
    They don't expect us to win the title now, but if we miss out by a few points there will be those who say Berahino would've made the difference.

And maybe they would be right, but nobody will ever know because we didn't sign anyone despite being in such a good position going in to Feb.

Listen, I wouldn't be as worried if we only had the league to play for like Leicester do, but the FA cup is wide open now , especially with city or Chelsea going out , and we want to challenge in Europe too, so adding a striker would have been great. But as I said , we'll just never know...

Anyway, fingers crossed we finish 3rd and it's all forgotten about

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Insp. Harry Callahan

Disappointed we didn't go/get Berahino as I think he is definitely a class player and a 20 goal a season striker. Would have been perfect to bring on to partner or if resting Kane.
    25 million for a chap his age with his ability is not over priced IMO

Time will tell I guess....

I dont understand why we didn't compete with
    Newcastle for Doumbia. Fair enough he hasn't been brilliant since leaving Moscow but for a loan deal he could have been useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭bradolf pittler

Not too disappointed with us not signing anyone in January.It just shows the days of panic buys are well and truly over under Poch.None of our rivals really strengthened in this window so its as you were in the race for top 4/the title.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Devo from Dublin

NO TRANSFERS LAST NIGHT FELT LIKE A DEFEAT SOMEHOW...

Anyway, a nice win tonight and it'll all be forgotten.
    Chadli could be our surprise for 2016....

Berahino was my hope but, its gone now.

I honestly think all this talk of 1 striker is stupid too.

We have enough cover in the attacking third of the pitch.

Realistically,Kane has 11 league goals i think.....

So he might get another 9 which would be classed as a good season.

If Kane were to get injured, im sure Chadli, Son and Clinton could rustle up 10 goals between now and the end of the season...

on top of the cups...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

I see Sandro is back in the EPL. Loan deal to westbrom

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Struggling to match everyone else's faith in Chadli. He's a tidy finisher no doubt but there's a lot more to playing up front then that. Kane is pivotal role how we set up and play and I think we'd be very easy to play against with Son/Chadli leading the line. I really hope it doesn't come to that.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

I wouldn't have much faith in him at this stage, I know what he's capable of and thought he was underachieving but it seems that he's simply unable to play at a consistently high standard, he's consistently flaky, but there's always that chance that something clicks for the guy and he goes on a tremendous run.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

we'll know in May if Levy's decision not to invest again pays off

lets hope it does

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

lets hope it does

Is there a position on your spursometre that determines pay off?
    What is it at this moment in time? FA Cup? Perm title? Europa title? 2nd, 3rd or forth?

lets hope it does

You reckon it was all Levy? He refused to get in players Poch wanted?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

lets hope it does

Who says it was Levys decision

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭eoinola

Given that the squad is very settled and close knit it would be very difficult to bring a player in in January that the manager could be 100% confident wouldn't unsettle things.

Chadli is back and getting stronger and has goals in him, Son there too.

The key to success this year, at this stage of the season, is keeping the team bond - togetherness as strong as possible. Not signing a player adds to that, it gives the players confidence that the manager is happy with his squad and doesn't need anyone. I'm so glad we didn't have a ridiculous window which serves only to distract the players before a huge game tonight and the weekend. We have a focused group of players who are very confident right now - embrace that and we will have success this season and lots to look forward to next season and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭eoinola

Given that the squad is very settled and close knit it would be very difficult to bring a player in in January that the manager could be 100% confident wouldn't unsettle things.

Chadli is back and getting stronger and has goals in him, Son there too.

The key to success this year, at this stage of the season, is keeping the team bond - togetherness as strong as possible. Not signing a player adds to that, it gives the players confidence that the manager is happy with his squad and doesn't need anyone. I'm so glad we didn't have a ridiculous window which serves only to distract the players before a huge game tonight and the weekend. We have a focused group of players who are very confident right now - embrace that and we will have success this season and lots to look forward to next season and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

Who says it was Levys decision

all roads lead to him

he gets the final say on everything we do in the transfer market

• Advertisement

all roads lead to him

he gets the final say on everything we do in the transfer market

Yeah he shoulda bought a few players, even if Poch didn't want them.

Advertisement