Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

January transfer window rumors and gossip

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

Ormus wrote: »
    Yeah he shoulda bought a few players, even if Poch didn't want them.

well he bought a load of players that AVB didn't want before firing him 6 months after he secured our highest point tally in the PL era.

if we buy its because he fancies it

if we don't buy its because he doesn't fancy it

he's the king of the castle

hopefully Kane stays fit and we qualify for the CL or better. But it is a big gamble given that we are in 3 competitions and only have one recognized striker at the club.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

well he bought a load of players that AVB didn't want before firing him 6 months after he secured our highest point tally in the PL era.

if we buy its because he fancies it

if we don't buy its because he doesn't fancy it

he's the king of the castle

hopefully Kane stays fit and we qualify for the CL or better. But it is a big gamble given that we are in 3 competitions and only have one recognized striker at the club.

Ok so you are saying he should've bought players even though Poch expressly said he didn't want to buy players.

What could go wrong.

the key point here before we get side tracked is whether Tottenham Hotspur's decision not to strengthen their squad in January will come back to haunt us. It's a major gamble what ever way you look at it.

I hope we'll be okay but we're only a couple of key injuries (e.g. Kane or Toby) away from a crisis, furthermore whilst we are competing on 3 fronts the chances of these injuries occurring are pretty high.

I have really enjoyed the season so far but wouldn't it be a massive shame if it petered out into nothing due to our lack of investment in January. It smells very like Jan 2012 all over again to me.

Obviously I hope we have a strong finish to the season but anyone who isn't worried about severe risk we face is sadly deluded.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Martin567

I have really enjoyed the season so far but wouldn't it be a massive shame if it petered out into nothing due to our lack of investment in January. It smells very like Jan 2012 all over again to me.

Obviously I hope we have a strong finish to the season but anyone who isn't worried about severe risk we face is sadly deluded.

In fairness, you're rewriting history in a big way here. I agree that the signings of Nelson and Saha weren't very inspiring in 2012 but that wasn't why that season fell apart.

That was all about Harry batting his eyelashes at the FA while Spurs won 1 game out of 9. There wasn't any big injury crisis to cause the collapse. It was all to do with a manager completely taking his eye off the ball.

Martin567 wrote: »
    In fairness, you're rewriting history in a big way here. I agree that the signings of Nelson and Saha weren't very inspiring in 2012 but that wasn't why that season fell apart.

That was all about Harry batting his eyelashes at the FA while Spurs won 1 game out of 9. There wasn't any big injury crisis to cause the collapse. It was all to do with a manager completely taking his eye off the ball.

I think if we had have bought better than we did in Jan 2012 we would have done better than we did in the run in. I guess we'll never know, we can only speculate of course and I'd like to think Levy learned a lesson from this.

Harry absolutely takes some of the blame, no doubt but our players still have their own professional and personal pride to play well and give 100% but what I saw was that they became knackered in the final 1/3rd of the season because the squad was wafer thin and everyone had to play every week.

Still a stinker to miss out on CL due to Chelsea winning the cup but we really should have finished 2nd or 3rd if we had managed to keep the momentum going after January. Some decent quality buys in Jan 2012 may have got us over the line, I fear the same could happen again this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Just come off the back of a 3-0 win literally hours ago. With moving up to third spot along with having a +25 goal difference. Currently the best in the league (when was the last time we could say that in February?).

Yet, some people still want to prepare themselves for blame towards the Chairman because we haven't signed a bloody striker in the January transfer window. Just listen to yourselves..

Some fans have to surely only follow the club to be miserable and try drag as many into that misery as they can grab. Thankfully I've used the ignore option just a shame quoting them still makes the post visible. Might be time to request that this is fixed.

irishmover wrote: »
    Just come off the back of a 3-0 win literally hours ago. With moving up to third spot along with having a +25 goal difference. Currently the best in the league (when was the last time we could say that in February?).

Yet, some people still want to prepare themselves for blame towards the Chairman because we haven't signed a bloody striker in the January transfer window. Just listen to yourselves..

Some fans have to surely only follow the club to be miserable and try drag as many into that misery as they can grab. Thankfully I've used the ignore option just a shame quoting them still makes the post visible. Might be time to request that this is fixed.

Ignore it then - it's simple - you obviously have nothing to contribute

Everyone's entitled to their opinion, but anyone who can't enjoy the run we're on this season without looking for someone to blame in the future, has gotta ask themself if they really enjoy following this club.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

Everybody is entitled to their opinion. Even if it's an opinion we disagree with.

jobeenfitz wrote: »
    Everybody is entitled to their opinion. Even if it's an opinion we disagree with.

Certainly are. However it's difficult to accept depression from people with arguments cropping up in the midst of a great season. It's nonsensical.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Patww79 wrote: »
    There's a happy medium between the depression and the blind 'no criticism allowed ever' fanboyism.

What?

We're third. +25 goal difference. No current sign of form dwindling and people still want to complain about whatever they feel like.

Fanboyism my absolute bollox. **** me.

That's why I said happy medium. There's very little to complain about on the pitch at the moment but people are allowed to have genuine concerns about cover in the squad as a club challenging for top 4 should never have a season ruined because their one and only striker gets injured.
    People are allowed to have concerns without a gasket getting blown over it.

Yeh that's fair enough. I see your point. What got me though was the fact these people were just waiting for a slip up to hammer the club and the owners.

That's not supporting a club in my opinion. I can't understand the desire to not focus on how well the side is doing presently and just putting everything else aside but instead focus on how they might slip up and how much rage they'll fling towards the club.

Ormus wrote: »
    Everyone's entitled to their opinion, but anyone who can't enjoy the run we're on this season without looking for someone to blame in the future, has gotta ask themself if they really enjoy following this club.

I'm loving the season so far - it's been great

But this thread is about the January Transfer Window

You can be happy about the results /performances whilst being disappointed about investment - they are separate subjects.

Certainly are. However it's difficult to accept depression from people with arguments cropping up in the midst of a great season. It's nonsensical.

who's depressed ?

again I'll point you to the fact that this is a thread about the Jan Transfer window - in which our lack of activity was disappointing and could come back to haunt us come May.

Should we not have any reservations what so ever because the team is playing well ? I'm not so naive myself.

Yeh that's fair enough. I see your point. What got me though was the fact these people were just waiting for a slip up to hammer the club and the owners.

That's not supporting a club in my opinion. I can't understand the desire to not focus on how well the side is doing presently and just putting everything else aside but instead focus on how they might slip up and how much rage they'll fling towards the club.

With all due respect Irishmover that is complete and utter boll0x

There are no supporters waiting for a slip up so they can hammer the owners
    However if we throw away another great opportunity why should the owners be immune to criticism?

I am worried about the impact a couple of injuries could have to key players, if you don't share this concern you're not seeing the whole picture. Where's the "rage" in that ?

thank you - someone gets it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

January transfer window is always poor. Don't see what the fuss is, we weren't linked with anyone. We have a great squad and there obviously wasn't anyone out there at good value that the manager wanted. Arsenal signed one player, man city, Chelsea signed none also?

I'm loving the season so far - it's been great

But this thread is about the January Transfer Window

You can be happy about the results /performances whilst being disappointed about investment - they are separate subjects.

Fair enough.

Good to hear you're enjoying the season at least.

I think it shows lack of ambition not getting cover for Kane, not just in case he gets injured, but to change it around, two up top in games not going our way. Kane could be rested more, especially in cup games. I'm not saying it is easy to get a decent striker.

Nobody wants Kane to get injured to prove a point. If we were in with a chance of the league and maybe a cup come end of April n Kane does get injured, I'd be angry n heartbroken.

I think it shows lack of ambition not getting cover for Kane, not just in case he gets injured, but to change it around, two up top in games not going our way. Kane could be rested more, especially in cup games. I'm not saying it is easy to get a decent striker.

Nobody wants Kane to get injured to prove a point. If we were in with a chance of the league and maybe a cup come end of April n Kane does get injured, I'd be angry n heartbroken.

Yeah I agree, but I think Poch would just prefer to play Chadli or Son up front than the likes of Charlie Austin.

There were no top class strikers available this January, and if there were, they wouldn't have come to Spurs to sit on the bench.

Dembele would have been a low risk stop gap with potential to be a future regular, but Fulham wouldn't play ball.

Who would you have bought as back up striker?

mushykeogh wrote: »
    January transfer window is always poor. Don't see what the fuss is, we weren't linked with anyone. We have a great squad and there obviously wasn't anyone out there at good value that the manager wanted. Arsenal signed one player, man city, Chelsea signed none also?

why write it off

it's the only mid-season opportunity clubs get to strengthen

Liverpool signed Suarez in a January window for example

Deals definately can be done

mushykeogh wrote: »
    Who would you have bought as back up striker?

I'm sure Spurs scouting staff would be more informed on available strikers than us. I'm guessing they get well paid and had months to ponder that very question. it could have been done if the will an finances were made available.

I'm sure Spurs scouting staff would be more informed on available strikers than us. I'm guessing they get well paid and had months to ponder that very question. it could have been done if the will an finances were made available.

Then maybe after all that scouting there was no one worth investing in?!.

• Advertisement

Advertisement