Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

January transfer window rumors and gossip

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Liverpool signed Suarez in a January window for example

Deals definately can be done

You're not stupid so must be well aware that Suarez was an exception to the rule, given that all January transfers are well catalogued the hardest part of listing the flops is, well, writing that very long list out.

Maybe your point is that once in a blue moon you get a gem of a player?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

You're not stupid so must be well aware that Suarez was an exception to the rule, given that all January transfers are well catalogued the hardest part of listing the flops is, well, writing that very long list out.

Maybe your point is that once in a blue moon you get a gem of a player?

but the Suarez deal is an example of good business that can be done, there are a good few others as well. Here's a few off the top of my head:
    • Defoe to Spurs (twice)
    • Evra & Vidic to Man Utd
    • Sturridge & Macharano to Liverpool
    • Matic & Cahill to Chelsea

I think that if the planning and background work (identifying targets, the targets interest moving and their clubs willingness to sell etc..) is done correctly and in advance of January getting these deals done shouldn't be too hard in principle.

This January was a great opportunity to kick on - I hope the club's gamble to not invest pays off come May - That's really the only point I was making.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

I don't want to get dragged into this as for once I'm not fussed that we didnt strengthen the squad.

I don't know if that's because I had no expectations after been regularly let down in the past or because I'm so content with the current squad and we are already exceeding expectation. Probably a bit of both.

I'd rather we spent nothing than waste another 20M

But I do sympathise with those who feel aggieved.

If I can use the analogy of a lottery win.

This season is like we have been given 5 out of 6 numbers for the winning lottery roll over jackpot. But we are missing that elusive 6th number.

It's frustrating because that 6th number is feasible. It's do able. The winning number combination is finite. And if we had it it's a life changer. It would literally change the history of the club.

But instead of playing all the combination of that final number we are just going to play some of them and hope it works out.

Sure 5 numbers in the lotto still nets us a nice chunk of cash, it's not life changing but sure we didn't expect to win anything when we bought the ticket last August so what are we complaining about?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭prodsc

Sure 5 numbers in the lotto still nets us a nice chunk of cash, it's not life changing but sure we didn't expect to win anything when we bought the ticket last August so what are we complaining about?

A lot of people dream of winning the lotto! Maybe we should have bought a few more tickets. If your not in you can't win!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

I just find it amazing that people still think spending money = strengthening the squad, despite the fact that we've tried it before and it's gone horribly wrong.

And not just us either, Liverpool have squandered about 100m after Suarez left, United have spent 250m and are no better off than when Moyes was there.

Buying players for the sake of it has been proven over and over to be an expensive, inexact and often counter productive way to strengthen. Poch keeps saying he'll buy only if the right players are available. We're gonna have to start realising that's not just an excuse to not buy. It's what he actually believes is the best policy to take the club forward.

People were ready to hang Levy in the summer for his gross negligence in not strengthening. We've had our best season in years so far. Maybe it's time to move out of the Redknapp mindset.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

I hope the club's decision not to invest in the squad doesn't cause our season to fall apart

We have lots of games in 3 competitions and if anything happens to Kane or Toby we will seriously struggle to keep the momentum

I obviously hope that we have a great finish but I would be more confident if we have brought in at least one centre forward in Jan. Long for example would have been a decent option in my view.

There's nothing extreme or wrong with this position - it's just an opinion based on other seasons when we found ourselves in a similar position in Jan and threw it away.

That's all

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Devo from Dublin

Money?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Money?

Can't seem to view it but might just be my phone playing games.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭leonards

Money?

Open a betting thread for good Spurs bets? I've won a small amount copying your last few bet posts...

New deal for young Josh Onomah.

• Advertisement

irishmover wrote: »
    New deal for young Josh Onomah.

Yeah I like the look of this kid, hope we can find some gametime for him between now and the end of the season.

Hopefully he'll develop further physically over the summer and could be a real option next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

leonards wrote: »
    Open a betting thread for good Spurs bets? I've won a small amount copying your last few bet posts...

+1 as a rule I don't bet on us given our unpredictability but your on a good run

• Registered Users Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Tottenham are in advanced talks to sign Marseille's Belgium international striker Michy Batshuayi, 22, who has scored 21 goals in 46 games for the French club. (L'Equipe, via Metro)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    Tottenham are in advanced talks to sign Marseille's Belgium international striker Michy Batshuayi, 22, who has scored 21 goals in 46 games for the French club. (L'Equipe, via Metro)

That's more like it, I prefer is to take a gamble on the likes of this than throw 25m on that stroppy fcuker Berahino

• Registered Users Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

That's more like it, I prefer is to take a gamble on the likes of this than throw 25m on that stroppy fcuker Berahino

He's Damiao's ghost. Business done early doors, I'd welcome that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

And another Belgium to add to the ranks.

This lad is pure quality in the French league. I think with the Belgian contingency we've already got he'll bed in quick.

Hopefully this results in signing him.

I was dreading the thought of Berahino.

irishmover wrote: »
    This lad is pure quality in the French league. I think with the Belgian contingency we've already got he'll bed in quick.

Hopefully this results in signing him.

I was dreading the thought of Berahino.

I've never seen him play a full game, but I like that he has the second most goals (12) and the third most assists (7).

I see Pulis has warned Berahino he has to lose weight. He's clearly not a good pro. Ability alone is never enough at the highest level.

Ormus wrote: »
    I've never seen him play a full game, but I like that he has the second most goals (12) and the third most assists (7).

I see Pulis has warned Berahino he has to lose weight. He's clearly not a good pro. Ability alone is never enough at the highest level.

Seems like the sort of player who doesn't suit Poch at all. Similar to the type of player he's pushed out of the club. Not signed.

• Advertisement

I think Berahino is basically acting up (and gaining weight) because the club wouldn't let him be transferred. I seem to remember Odemwingie also having troubles with them.

I think Berahino is basically acting up (and gaining weight) because the club wouldn't let him be transferred. I seem to remember Odemwingie also having troubles with them.

If he is he's an idiot. His lack of professionalism is turning clubs off. When he's eventually out of contract he'll end up at Newcastle or Palace instead of Spurs or Chelsea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Ormus wrote: »
    If he is he's an idiot. His lack of professionalism is turning clubs off. When he's eventually out of contract he'll end up at Newcastle or Palace instead of Spurs or Chelsea.

Exactly why we don't want him

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

Or hell head off to china........

I cant see a Premier League club willing to take a risk on him for the kind of money that is being quoted

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

Or hell head off to china........

I cant see a Premier League club willing to take a risk on him for the kind of money that is being quoted

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

Can't say I know much about Youri Tielemans, anyone seen him play?

http://www.teamtalk.com/news/spurs-in-talks-to-sign-highly-rated-anderlecht-star-report

Can't say I know much about Youri Tielemans, anyone seen him play?

http://www.teamtalk.com/news/spurs-in-talks-to-sign-highly-rated-anderlecht-star-report

He's got a very bright future. I mentioned that we should go for him quite a while ago.

Yeah he was good against us in the Europa I seem to remember.

I'd imagine he's been scouted by all of Europe's top clubs. We should definitely make an enquiry, but we may already be out of the running.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

He's one of the first players i but in Fifa and Football Manager, so he must be brilliant :P

• Advertisement

Kiith wrote: »
    He's one of the first players i but in Fifa and Football Manager, so he must be brilliant :P

I'm not sure where the article was but apparently the FM player data is generally very accurate. A number of managers actually use it these days.

Nice and easy find

http://m.bbc.com/sport/football/28738388

Advertisement