Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

January transfer window rumors and gossip

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭golfball37

I thought Jan was disinterested these past few seasons and I would have moved him on.
    Since Toby's arrival however he has returned to the great player he was 3 years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Long Time Lurker

So Kane, his agent and Mourinho had a chat apparently :-(

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Hahaha, ok, we're starting bullshit season a little early this year.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Devo from Dublin

Seeing that we have no match for ages.....

who would we sign?

Surely if we sign someone, its not a squad player....

We also dont want to buy 3 £30m players...

We are Building... so 1 big player to go straight into the team every season...

anad the others would be squad players, getting about 25 starts a season....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

With CL football almost guaranteed, most players will be happy to stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

For the first time in 10 years I dont think im worried about losing any of our top players.

Would United, Chelsea or City, seeing as at least 2 of them wont have champions league next year, actually a better proposition then spurs next year?

We've a new stadium on the way too, a young talented team and a very good manager. We'll never have a better chance to keep our star performers.

• Advertisement

Need to increase our wage structure, Kane deserves 130-150k. We complain about him looking tired, he sits out one game and comes back and bangs in 2 goals in 15 mins. We'd never replace him if he left, tie him down

Hahaha, ok, we're starting bullshit season a little early this year.

It happened alright.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

As above, the wage structure will need to be changed if we want to keep our players. If we finish 1st or 2nd, we will get somewhere between £130-£150 million in prize money, and that'd be better spent wrapping up the bigger names. I would like a world class midfielder though, and maybe a more prolific winger/forward.
    It happened alright.

Is there any actual reports of this, or is it just the usual tabloid nonsense?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

The worst thing we could do is drastically change the wage structure on the back of a few good months. Are people really serious?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,307 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

No need to buy anybody, we have an excellent young Team that can mature together for the future of the club.

On the run in.................click below

Can Spurs win the league?

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

Kiith wrote: »
    As above, the wage structure will need to be changed if we want to keep our players. If we finish 1st or 2nd, we will get somewhere between £130-£150 million in prize money, and that'd be better spent wrapping up the bigger names. I would like a world class midfielder though, and maybe a more prolific winger/forward.

Is there any actual reports of this, or is it just the usual tabloid nonsense?

I'm just not a liberty to say. Don't worry, I'm not trying to make a name for myself with "The Big Story" Just to say that I have it on good authority that it happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

Ha, he was obviously advising him on playing in the Europa League.

Would Kane want to give up the Champions League football he's worked hard for?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Ormus wrote: »
    The worst thing we could do is drastically change the wage structure on the back of a few good months. Are people really serious?

It's not on the back of a few months, it's on the back of a fantastic season, and in the hopes of us competing there for a while to come. If we don't, we will lose players and any hope of keeping that position.

With the added revenue from the league, we absolutely should increase our wages cap. Doesn't need to drastic, but needs to happen.

Drastically maybe not but i would much rather the difference in prize money between 5th/6th, where we thought we would be, and 2nd/3rd invested not in new players but in keeping Kane and Lloris at the club for the next 5 years minimum.

The reality, as you well know, is that without adding a further wage bracket for real stars then our best players will always want to move on.

If thats the case then how do you convince Poch to hang around either?

Kiith wrote: »
    It's not on the back of a few months, it's on the back of a fantastic season, and in the hopes of us competing there for a while to come. If we don't, we will lose players and any hope of keeping that position.

With the added revenue from the league, we absolutely should increase our wages cap. Doesn't need to drastic, but needs to happen.

We lost Bale and Modric, squandered all the money, and now we might win the title.

Have we not learned by now that money isn't the answer? Will we never learn?

• Advertisement

We lost Bale and Modric, squandered all the money, and now we might win the title.

Have we not learned by now that money isn't the answer? Will we never learn?

Big difference between blowing it on a lot of players who were thought to have been the answer and the players we know to be the reason we are performing so well

MrKingsley wrote: »
    Big difference between blowing it on a lot of players who were thought to have been the answer and the players we know to be the reason we are performing so well

Yep, but changing the wage structure doesn't work like that. You're not just spending money on those who have earned it, you're changing the amount of money it takes to run the club, and you're increasing the wage any new signings will demand, regardless of whether they're proven or not.

Patww79 wrote: »
    He would for £££££££, and who could blame him really. Short career, maximise it.

Absolutely and who could blame him. The days of the LeTissier or Shearer are over. No matter how high we fly we'll never be a united or the like, well not for a long long time. And there's no shame in that either.

Its an exclusive club. Plus its not like we're some kinda feeder club for rich pickings. No we're a launch pad to super stardom. If we sell you we're selling you just as you're about to enter your prime for a fee never to be achieved again in your career. Next time you move its for considerably less or retirement. Can't blame Harry for out growing us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Martin567

I could. I actually don't understand this bit at all.

Imagine you're 22 and on a 5 year contract worth (say) £80k per week. That's £20m over the next 5 years. I think that's more money than anyone could ever need to spend. I simply can't understand how someone earning £80k per week would be tempted by £130k or £150k per week. What could you realistically want to do with £130k per week that you couldn't already do with £80k per week? Others will obviously disagree but I don't understand it at all and I would hope that any level headed person who has really thought about it would agree.

I can understand someone wanting to move for sporting reasons (in which case Kane to Man Utd would currently make no sense at all!) but I just can't get my head around someone with a £20m contract being tempted by even more money if they're happy with their current club.

Everything I've seen from Harry Kane to date would indicate to me that he's a very level headed guy and committed to Spurs for the long haul.

Yep, but changing the wage structure doesn't work like that. You're not just spending money on those who have earned it, you're changing the amount of money it takes to run the club, and you're increasing the wage any new signings will demand, regardless of whether they're proven or not.

New signings can demand all they want but Levy is going to offer them what hes thinks they are worth and nothing more.

Im not saying that we could/should offer 150k or anything like that but offering what we currently are may not be able to keep the players there indefinitely.

Maybe, but I don't believe everyone thinks like that. If money is tight, that's one thing. But if I was in a job I was really happy in and earning a very good salary, I would happily turn down significantly greater money to move to a job where I might not be so happy.

You might say it's easy for me to say that, etc, etc, but I know it to be true. Not everyone is the same.

It's up to Spurs to continue on their current path and create an environment where players would need to think long and hard before looking for a move to a "bigger" club.

Players are sluts, all of them. Make no mistake money is all that matters in their circles

• Advertisement

Players are sluts, all of them. Make no mistake money is all that matters in their circles

Most, perhaps. Not all.

Advertisement