Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

January transfer window rumors and gossip

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

I agree with both the above posts. If Real or Barca want a player enough, no club in the world except maybe Bayern can stop them.

We can't come close to matching the wages or prestige of those clubs, but I do think there's a good chance we'll keep our best players this summer, with the high we're on at the moment and the healthy looking future of the club.

People here talking about us signing a top class striker to compete with Kane are delusional though. For starters, even with Champions League football to offer, Spurs will still struggle to attract top class players, as we don't pay top wages. Money talks.

I'd be happy if we got Dembele from Fulham.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Apparently interested in Matt Ritchie who incidentally scored Scotland's only goal last night.

irishmover wrote: »
    Apparently interested in Matt Ritchie who incidentally scored Scotland's only goal last night.

Yeah I'm in two minds on this. Don't really see him as someone who can take us up a level, but he's a really nice player. I think he'd fit in well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Devo from Dublin

Am i the only one who doesnt believe ANY of these rumours????

especially at this time of year....

Now, i do remember we signed Modric BEFORE the Euros....

Wouldnt mind another sneaky signing like that.

Out of the blue!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

Ormus wrote: »
    I agree with both the above posts. If Real or Barca want a player enough, no club in the world except maybe Bayern can stop them.

We can't come close to matching the wages or prestige of those clubs, but I do think there's a good chance we'll keep our best players this summer, with the high we're on at the moment and the healthy looking future of the club.

People here talking about us signing a top class striker to compete with Kane are delusional though. For starters, even with Champions League football to offer, Spurs will still struggle to attract top class players, as we don't pay top wages. Money talks.

I'd be happy if we got Dembele from Fulham.

Exactly that but not only for the champions league and wages. Which 'top' striker would be happy moving to spurs to sit on the bench and start 6 cup games a year, in the hope that Kane injures himself?

We need a back up striker and thats it

So it's gonna from absolute outrage that we didn't sign any striker in the summer (please refer to September 2nd) to we only need a backup striker?

Personally think we need competition in every spot. Kane is fantastic but he needs quality competition to improve him.

Dont get the september 2nd reference but Im not sure that any spurs fan was particularly happy with us starting the season with only one striker. If Kane wasnt able to reproduce last seasons form then we couldve been in a really sticky spot.

But Poch has made sure that hes improved again (without any direct competition for his place)

The last thing I want if for us to go out and spend 30 million on some billy big dick whose going to come in and distrupt things.

Give Poch an 18 year old to mould into his style of a player and that will do for me

MrKingsley wrote: »
    Dont get the september 2nd reference but Im not sure that any spurs fan was particularly happy with us starting the season with only one striker. If Kane wasnt able to reproduce last seasons form then we couldve been in a really sticky spot.

But Poch has made sure that hes improved again (without any direct competition for his place)

The last thing I want if for us to go out and spend 30 million on some billy big dick whose going to come in and distrupt things.

Give Poch an 18 year old to mould into his style of a player and that will do for me

Levy was the worst chairman in the world. Poch didn't have a clue what he was doing. The team was screwed was all banded on here. (I too was dragged down to that feeling after a while aswell). Most people were crying out for us to sign another striker back then and now people only want a back up benchwarmer.

I never said we should spend £30m on a player. I said we need quality competition for him not backup. Whether it's Shayon Harrison or Aubemayang or Dembele (the Fulham one) I don't care as long as they provide competition and perform when needed.

We've got a very good shot of CL football. We need to be improving the squad in the summer not signing fringe players. They need to be players willing to fall into the Poch regime like our current crop has. We'll fail miserably if we sign some fringe players and rely on this same side again next season.

Levy was the worst chairman in the world. Poch didn't have a clue what he was doing. The team was screwed was all banded on here. (I too was dragged down to that feeling after a while aswell). Most people were crying out for us to sign another striker back then and now people only want a back up benchwarmer.

I never said we should spend £30m on a player. I said we need quality competition for him not backup. Whether it's Shayon Harrison or Aubemayang or Dembele (the Fulham one) I don't care as long as they provide competition and perform when needed.

We've got a very good shot of CL football. We need to be improving the squad in the summer not signing fringe players. They need to be players willing to fall into the Poch regime like our current crop has. We'll fail miserably if we sign some fringe players and rely on this same side again next season.

That is the only thing I care about.

Show me the spurs fan that thought Kane would be even better this season in August.......september even, and Ill show you a liar.

Back then we all thought we needed another stiker. As it turns out we just need someone able to fill in when Kane is injured/rested.

What proven goalscorer is going to be happy starting less than 10 games a year?

• Advertisement

MrKingsley wrote: »
    That is the only thing I care about.

Show me the spurs fan that thought Kane would be even better this season in August.......september even, and Ill show you a liar.

Back then we all thought we needed another stiker. As it turns out we just need someone able to fill in when Kane is injured/rested.

What proven goalscorer is going to be happy starting less than 10 games a year?

I'd put it at more than 10 games, but it's a valid question.

What proven Champions League goalscorer in their right mind is going to be happy to start less than 20 games a year, and who in their right minds thinks Levy can or will afford to pay such a striker 100k a week to be back up?

Genuine competition in every position is a nice thought, but it just ain't realistic. The only way we might do it is if we buy someone to play attacking midfield, but they're able to fill in at number 9 better than Chadli or Son have managed this season. Someone along the lines of Cristiano Ronaldo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Kimsang

We can always dream, we did sign Vdv once upon a time. But I agree it's a near impossible task to sign quality competition, its costly and can cause unrest (when the coach must decide who plays big games), easier with developing youngsters, or proven quality on their last legs. Poch does like to hammer home the point of cohesion within the squad.

Imagine Ibrahimovic at the lane. 34/35 years old. signs on a free, however hefty sign on bonus. agrees to 10-15 games a year with heavy performance addons. </dream>

Seriously though, if we can keep hold of Kane I'm not all that bothered about signing someone else for that position. Son/Chadli can improve and have shown an affinity for that position. Also N'jie has been injured.
    Not to mention academy player Shayon Harrison's path to the first team would be blocked.

If we keep hold of Kane, especially if he has a good euros, i'll be delighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

They need to be players willing to fall into the Poch regime like our current crop has.

I trust that this will be the first question Poch asks. He won't sign anyone he has the tiniest doubt about.

Levy and Poch have similar interests in players. Levy wants young players who's price is going to rise and Poch wants young hungry players...... and, ultimately their price rises.

I'd be very surprised if we spend £30m on an 'experienced' Champions League goalscorer, that wasn't the reason Paul Mitchell was hired.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

Yes its a tricky one alright - I think we need at least one more quality striker for 3 main reasons:

1) Competition for Kane
    2) Cover for Kane
    3) Option to mix it up and play 2 up top at times

I think there are plenty of decent CFs who would consider moving to Spurs (even if it meant a seat on the bench initially) a step up from where they are.

I think someone along the lines of Long, Pelle, Mitrovic or one of the Watford boys would be good options and quite realistic. I'm sure Poch has a target or two in this area.

To be honest I can't really get my head around anything other than Liverpool away at the minute - I'll leave the transfer talk alone now until the summer.

Could a mod change the name of this to General Transfer thread or something?

Anyway.

Mauricio Pochettino wants Arsenal captain Mikel Arteta to make the short journey across north London to join his Tottenham Hotspur staff with the Gunners now at the back of the queue of clubs willing to give the Spaniard his first coaching role. (Daily Telegraph)

If Pochettino sees a use for him in the coaching staff I personally don't care where he came from.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Daily Mirror report Tottenham Hotspur are in negotiations with Wolfsburg to sign winger Andre Schurrle?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,297 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    Daily Mirror report Tottenham Hotspur are in negotiations with Wolfsburg to sign winger Andre Schurrle?

Who would we have to drop of the present team to fit him in.

All our playing well in th system Pooch ahs them at the moment.

Would our system need to change to include him?

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Registered Users Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Just adding depth to the squad I guess.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'd see him more as backup for Kane. Definitely a good squad player.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

I think he'd be a welcome addition to the bench. I wouldn't believe any rumours at the moment though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Signing players before the euros? Doubt it.

Signing players before the euros? Doubt it.

Modric.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Modric.

well aware of buying a very young modric, one player does not an argument make

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭golfball37

Its not as though Modric was an unknown before the Euros, he destroyed England at Wembley that previous October watched on by the wally in the brolly

I'd be very surprised if Poch is after Schurrle, he's always been a bit low on work rate, think that's why Chelsea sold him. He is a good goalscorer though. Bit like Chadli.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

I know it is just paper talk but I did suggest Schurrle earlier in the thread as being the kind of all action, good technical player who would fit right into the current Spurs set up.

Who would he replace is not the relevant question. Clearly we would all love to have Dembele and Dier sitting behind Ericsson, Alli and Lamela with Kane up front every week and in every competition but it isn't going to happen. Between injuries and rotation and tactical switches whereby he is providing a more attacking threat, he could replace any of the six. Bar Kane who is irreplaceable, I think he would be offering something different in an attacking sense but at the expense of defensive solidity. As such I think he would be taking on the position of first sub. He is definitely a step up on Son and Chadli.

To be honest I think finding a right full who can deliver a decent cross and isn't prone to the odd brain fart is a bigger priority. What chance we can pick over the carcass of Everton for Seamus Coleman? I know he is older than our ideal targets but at 27 he is perfect for the next few years when, hopefully, we can retain our best players. By the look of it there could be a lot of movement at Everton at the end of the season. It doesn't look a happy place at the moment.

well aware of buying a very young modric, one player does not an argument make

I'm not having an argument? I said one word.

Modric was signed before a major tournament and look how good that turned out. Sometimes it works out sometimes it doesnt. It's really hardly any different to signing a player after a tournament so I don't see why it doesn't happen more often.

Everyone's always talking about signing players early in windows. When it's mentioned a signing might happen early people are like 'don't be silly'. Fair enough. Just don't complain if we're signing players in August.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Devo from Dublin

The secret to Man Utds success was to ALWAYS buy at least 1 player to improve the TEAM....others were squad players.

*not really a secret....:P

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭DaDerv

Man Utds success was based on the fact that they were capable of spending money without investment from a specific billionaire! They constantly broke transfer records. United fans now like to condemn other clubs for 'buying titles'. Fact of the matter is they were at it for years.

For the thread that's irrelevant. Although the way Spurs deal with their transfer system is more endearing. Levy receives a lot of criticism but at the end of the day he has made some extremely astute business decisions. We are going places under his chair and we are developing in all aspects. On and off the pitch.

• Advertisement

Eriksen reportedly signing a new 4 year deal worth £60k a week. Apparently he was on £35k beforehand?

Pittance. I expected the guy to have been on £70k already!

Advertisement