Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

January transfer window rumors and gossip

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

That right there is our problem. 60k for one of our most creative players, who played in almost all our games? That's crazy.

If we don't restructure our wage bill, we will lose our best players.

I don't see it as that bad really. They've made it to the Champions League so they're entitled to get big money now. Before that we were only around the Europa League spots.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

Kiith wrote: »
    That right there is our problem. 60k for one of our most creative players, who played in almost all our games? That's crazy.

If we don't restructure our wage bill, we will lose our best players.

It's actually one of our greatest strengths. Having a talented and fully motivated squad without simply throwing money at them the whole time. The likes of Bayern, Dortmund and Atletico have a similar model.

Eriksen is only 23. The club have assured him that his wage will increase as he earns those increases through improving as a player, increased responsibility with age, and helping the club increase its success on the pitch.

That won't be enough for everyone. If Real Madrid offer one of our players 150k a week and a chance to compete regularly at the business end of the Champions League, he'll probably pack his bags (unless he's one of our own hopefully).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

London Evening Standard believe Bournemouth are preparing a £6M bid for Spurs midfielder Ryan Mason.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

I think that's a good move. I don't think Mason is anywhere near the standard required for a team challenging for the league next season, even as a substitute. He hasn't contributed enough or changed any games (that I can remember) coming onto the pitch.

• Advertisement

SuprSi wrote: »
    I think that's a good move. I don't think Mason is anywhere near the standard required for a team challenging for the league next season, even as a substitute. He hasn't contributed enough or changed any games (that I can remember) coming onto the pitch.

That's it in a nutshell, is he going to make a huge impact coming on as a sub, no not really.

Nice guy, decent steady footballer, deserves to be playing on a weekly basis. He's not going to get that at Tottenham.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

Yeah, like Townsend he's good but not great. I'm sure they'd run through a wall for Tottenham but that won't win us leagues.

I'd keep him personally. Good squad player. Home grown. Doesn't moan about not being in the team. Adds a bit of bite when he comes on.

Also wouldn't blame him if he left for regular football. I probably would.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭awkwardboy

I wouldn't be in any rush to sell him. He is obviously not top class but in that class of player who can come in and play in the league/f.a. cup and not complain when not played in the league/champions league. I know Poch likes to have a small group of players but our squad is already on the small side. I see no real benefit of letting hime go. Also as has been said he is homegrown which I think helps to the overall team spirit. We don't wanna mess with that!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

i remember he came on and won us at least one game, a sweet soft tap in before being barrel rolled over - don't ask me the game though!

• Advertisement

Sunderland away, September 2015.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Yeah, like Townsend he's good but not great. I'm sure they'd run through a wall for Tottenham but that won't win us leagues.

Too right. Because a team with players who would run through walls for their club will never will the premier league.

Oh wait.

Too right. Because a team with players who would run through walls for their club will never will the premier league.

Oh wait.

Ha, good point. Bet you a fiver Leicester won't win the league next year!

However, I was trying to be nice. Townsend and Mason just aren't good enough.

Townsend is playing out of his skin for Newcastle. Making it look like a bad bit of business for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭Glebee

Townsend is playing out of his skin for Newcastle. Making it look like a bad bit of business for us.

Would any half decent player not look good in that Newcastle set up though?

Has been scoring goals (two of them absolute peaches) and making lots of assists. Think he'll make the England squad if he continues his form. Also will perform heroics against us in the last game no doubt.

I think he's a good player but just not a MoPo guy. Just ask Bentaleb.

If Townsend is as big a Spurs fan as he says he is and Sunderland win on Wednesday, he might just knock in a few OGs so we finish ahead of Arsenal. I will like him then.

Probably gack, still this is the gossip forum.

Squawka claim Ryan Mason and Tom Carroll have both been transfer listed by Tottenham Hotspur.

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    Squawka claim Ryan Mason and Tom Carroll have both been transfer listed by Tottenham Hotspur.

It's really a case of putting 2 and 2 together.

I'd say Poch will look to improve the strength of the squad for PL and CL football next year, while continuing to bring the youth in for cameos in the FA Cup and League Cup.

Unfortunately Mason and Carroll aren't strong enough or young enough to fit into either of the aforementioned squads.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Agreed, I'd also stick Onomah in there too. He got plenty of chances to impress in the Europa League but I saw absolutely nothing from him. To be honest he looked a little out of his depth. I believe he's highly thought of though so might be worth keeping, plus he's still very young.

• Advertisement

Agreed, I'd also stick Onomah in there too. He got plenty of chances to impress in the Europa League but I saw absolutely nothing from him. To be honest he looked a little out of his depth. I believe he's highly thought of though so might be worth keeping, plus he's still very young.

Ah he's still very young. It's not long ago that people didn't see Harry Kane's potential.

I think players still in their teens have a lot of physical development still to go through.

Agreed. Was very disappointed in the lad. Certainly no world beater. Looked a little slow/lazy and casual to me.

Lunacy to write off Onomah at this stage. He had his 19th birthday 2 weeks ago. He's literally not even fully physically developed yet, let alone developed as a footballer. He could be the next John Bostock or the next John Barnes.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭09_09_09

Who: The Goat
    When: 19th May
    Where: SC

The Goat has hear that deal for Michy Batshuayi has been agreed and that everything will be wrapped up after the French cup final.

http://www.spurscommunity.co.uk/index.php?threads/update-11-the-goat-on-batshuayi.124893/

No idea, if there is any truth in it. He looks a decent prospect though.

09_09_09 wrote: »
    Who: The Goat
    When: 19th May
    Where: SC

The Goat has hear that deal for Michy Batshuayi has been agreed and that everything will be wrapped up after the French cup final.

http://www.spurscommunity.co.uk/index.php?threads/update-11-the-goat-on-batshuayi.124893/

No idea, if there is any truth in it. He looks a decent prospect though.

Been linked dozens of times. Never seen him play, however he's in the Belgium squad.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Been linked dozens of times. Never seen him play, however he's in the Belgium squad.

Oh he's Flemish, he'll fit right in so

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

Ive seen quite a bit of him in the French league. Hes a proper worker and team player. A lot of his goals this year seem to have come by fluke, however that may just mean he has a knack of being in the right place at the right time.

However if some of the prices that are being quoted are true (ive seen upwards of 30million) it would be a massive investment/gamble for a backup striker i think

MrKingsley wrote: »
    Ive seen quite a bit of him in the French league. Hes a proper worker and team player. A lot of his goals this year seem to have come by fluke, however that may just mean he has a knack of being in the right place at the right time.

However if some of the prices that are being quoted are true (ive seen upwards of 30million) it would be a massive investment/gamble for a backup striker i think

Nice description, he sounds like he would fit right in. Decent assist stats too.

I'd be a bit surprised if we spent that much on a back up striker, unless he can play in attacking midfield as well. I guess we could move Harry back into the number 10 role, but then we'd have to move Alli too.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/05/20/tottenham-ready-to-sell-son-heung-min-less-than-a-year-after-sig/?

Tottenham ready to sell Son Heung-Min less than a year after signing him?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/05/20/tottenham-ready-to-sell-son-heung-min-less-than-a-year-after-sig/?

Tottenham ready to sell Son Heung-Min less than a year after signing him?

He isn't really prolific enough for a £20M signing.

Advertisement