Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

January transfer window rumors and gossip

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Take it all with a pinch of salt.

I keep hearing Lacazette, not familiar with him. There looking for big bucks.

All this transfer speculation in the papers is a racket. Journos fill pages and sell rags with it. The club don't mind it because it makes it look to the fans that they're busy trying to sign loads of new players. It's exciting for us too. Problem is 90% of it is hot air.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

All this transfer speculation in the papers is a racket. Journos fill pages and sell rags with it. The club don't mind it because it makes it look to the fans that they're busy trying to sign loads of new players. It's exciting for us too. Problem is 90% of it is hot air.

I think the purpose of this thread is discussing the hot air. There are ways to spot complete bull$hit though, and there are ways to spot stories which have a half chance of coming true. Factors like the presence of quotes, from players, agents, chairman, unnamed sources close to x. If a story is run in several papers, there is a stronger chance it might be based on fact, particularly if it's several broadsheets. The best way to spot bull$hit is to ask yourself if the story is believable. For instance Ibrahimovic to Spurs is clearly fantasy. He wouldn't come, even if we paid his wages, which we wouldn't, and he wouldn't fit Poch's system, and he wouldn't play back up to Harry.

I've heard Troy Deeney rumours several times this week. That one wouldn't shock me. I'd actually be kinda pleased with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

Ormus wrote: »
    I
    I've heard Troy Deeney rumours several times this week. That one wouldn't shock me. I'd actually be kinda pleased with him.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3621366/Watford-striker-Troy-Deeney-gym-looks-shape-season.html

Maybe he's trying to impress Poch.

In fairness to him, he appeared 38 times in the PL last season. Scoring 13 and assisting 7.

Very impressed by the 38 appearances, obviously not injury prone.

Palermo president Maurizio Zamparini has confirmed Spurs are in negotiations to sign Franco Vazquez.

Any use?

• Advertisement

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    Palermo president Maurizio Zamparini has confirmed Spurs are in negotiations to sign Franco Vazquez.

Any use?

No idea. He doesn't have many international caps for a guy his age, but maybe he's a late bloomer.

Strong rumours that we're in talks to sign Vincent Janssen from AZ Alkmaar, anyone know him? Only 21, was top scorer in Holland last season, 3 goals in 5 internationals. Sounds promising. Then again Dutch league can be hit n miss.

Strong rumours that we're in talks to sign Vincent Janssen from AZ Alkmaar, anyone know him? Only 21, was top scorer in Holland last season, 3 goals in 5 internationals. Sounds promising. Then again Dutch league can be hit n miss.

Mmm strongly linked with that Dutch lad. Were in the hunt for a bargain. City, Chelsea & Utd will spunk money away.

That's who Poch was watching in the Aviva a couple of weeks back.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭09_09_09

No idea. He doesn't have many international caps for a guy his age, but maybe he's a late bloomer.

Today, 11:58 #421
    inforfun - That is a bit of a painful one for me.
    Product of the Feyenoord academy but wasnt offered a contract.
    Left fro Almere City in the Jupiler league and scored a lot there already, considering the team he played for.
    AZ picked him up for peanuts, only scored 6 goals till the winter break.
    Dont know what was in his turkey he had for Christmas but he just cant stop scoring since then. A hat trick against Feyenoord as well.

In recent internationals basically claimed his spot as Hollands starting centre forward with scoring 3 in 5.

So he basically has had a fantastic 2nd half of the season..... Is that enough to pay €15 million (rumoured asking price)?
    I guess for a premier league club it is peanuts.

He is more a Dirk Kuyt than a Robin van Persie as it comes to playing style.

Telegraaf is a bit hit and miss. The have some very good info at times but come out with complete rubbish as well.
    There was a time when i only rated www.vi.nl as reliable with transfer news but they are slipping as well.

This is the info I got from another kind boardie in the main soccer forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Sky sports give him a great write up on their APP.

Apart from his recent goalscoring exploits he also has 3 goals in 5 internationals incl motm award vs England recently.

His mother was also an Olympic medal winning swimmer which is impressive.

The quotes from his youth team coach ar the end of tge above article are most impressive, sounds like an a perfect fit for Poch.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Arsebook has it that we've signed Wanyama for 11 million, that Leicester also made an offer but he opted for us and Poch

Arsebook has it that we've signed Wanyama for 11 million, that Leicester also made an offer but he opted for us and Poch

Yeah it's seemed inevitable for the past year that this would happen. I'm not a massive fan, but Poch obviously rates him and it's good he's getting him early.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Yeah it's seemed inevitable for the past year that this would happen. I'm not a massive fan, but Poch obviously rates him and it's good he's getting him early.

One of the managers main targets so can only be good, will provide good competition with dier and will no doubt play with him at times...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Bentaleb to Italy then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Hatch99 wrote: »
    One of the managers main targets so can only be good, will provide good competition with dier and will no doubt play with him at times...

I think he's perfect, he'll happily play second fiddle to Dier and Dembele. It's not an area we needed to spend big on, just need backup.

Still a little surprised we haven't gone back in for Dembele of fulham now he's on a free, considering he had a medical in January and we wanted to take him after it.
    He's ideal backup. I know we've got CL now and we're going for a big name but he'd be bought for his potential.

Thought I saw that Dembele is going to some German club.

Wanyama looks done and dusted, Sky are reporting 11 - 12 million fee. Great signing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

I believe he was talking about the young striker Dembele, not our Belgian Dembele. Who definitely wont be going anywhere.

• Advertisement

Wanyama looks done and dusted, Sky are reporting 11 - 12 million fee. Great signing.

Great? You think he'll be first choice? I would not be happy if he's preferred to Dier or the Moose.

Great? You think he'll be first choice? I would not be happy if he's preferred to Dier or the Moose.

He'll be cover for Dier and Alderwierld.

I'd Dier is out he will slot in for him. If Alderwierld is out then Dier will drop back to centre back and Wanyama will play centre mid.

I'd Dier is out he will slot in for him. If Alderwierld is out then Dier will drop back to centre back and Wanyama will play centre mid.

You'd prefer him to Wimmer?

You'd prefer him to Wimmer?

As far as I've read, Poch prefers a right-footed right centre back and a left-footed left centre back. Wimmer will cover Vertonghen, while Dier would be the preferred choice to cover Alderwiereld.

It'll be interesting to see what happens if Dembele gets injured. Would Poch look to start with Wanyama and Dier in centre mid?

I'd sure both player and manager have spoken of game time. They know each other from there Southampton days. At 24 he's great value in today's market. Club captain of his country.

He's a step up from Bentaleb. Dier especially could do with a break, now and then.

I can only see the positives?

As far as I've read, Poch prefers a right-footed right centre back and a left-footed left centre back. Wimmer will cover Vertonghen, while Dier would be the preferred choice to cover Alderwiereld.

It'll be interesting to see what happens if Dembele gets injured. Would Poch look to start with Wanyama and Dier in centre mid?

Maybe you're right. I think I'd prefer Wimmer myself, always thought Dier was a bit ropey in defence, and don't think it should make much difference what footed a centre back is.

I'd sure both player and manager have spoken of game time. They know each other from there Southampton days. At 24 he's great value in today's market. Club captain of his country.

He's a step up from Bentaleb. Dier especially could do with a break, now and then.

I can only see the positives?

Yep, he sounds like decent cover for Dier, and the price is right.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

As much as Dier might see himself as a CB, he's a far better DM. I'd hope he gets left exactly where he is, as he was by far the biggest surprise of last year. I was extremely critical of him being played there, but he's showed (for club and country) that he deserves that spot. Wimmer was brilliant for us when Verts was out last year, so he deserves to be there before Dier.

Wanyama will be there to strengthen our midfield, which looked quite weak if any of the main 3 (Dier, Dembele or Ali) were out.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Premier league + champions league folks, we're gonna need to be strong for both, less of that post Europe hangover stuff.

• Advertisement

Sky Sources understand Napoli have approached Spurs about signing Alex Pritchard on a permanent basis.

Advertisement