Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

January transfer window rumors and gossip

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

I guess Poch has a balancing act on his hands. Yes, extra quality is probably needed if we are going to make a serious push for the league while competing in the CL.

Though, there is a good team spirit in the squad and we all know how far that got Leicester.

Do you go after a big name for big money at the risk of feeling you have to play them, at the same time risking team spirit. Or do you go for the Paul Mitchell Moneyball approach - bring in potential, ease them into the squad/team and hopefully increase success gradually.

With Poch, Paul Mitchel and Levy involved, I think the latter is more likely.

After N'Koudou, I think we can expect to see a few players leave before anymore come in. Merely from a squad size perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

I guess Poch has a balancing act on his hands. Yes, extra quality is probably needed if we are going to make a serious push for the league while competing in the CL.

Though, there is a good team spirit in the squad and we all know how far that got Leicester.

Do you go after a big name for big money at the risk of feeling you have to play them, at the same time risking team spirit. Or do you go for the Paul Mitchell Moneyball approach - bring in potential, ease them into the squad/team and hopefully increase success gradually.

With Poch, Paul Mitchel and Levy involved, I think the latter is more likely.

After N'Koudou, I think we can expect to see a few players leave before anymore come in. Merely from a squad size perspective.

True, big name signings are usually expensive flops if they end up at Spurs. Maybe this guy has huge potential. I trust that we've done our homework on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Swansea have offered in excess of £10m for Tottenham midfielder Nacer Chadli, 26.(Times - subscription required)

However, Spurs value the Belgian at £15m, which would be a club record for the Swans and more than double what Tottenham paid FC Twente for the winger three years ago.(Daily Mirror)

Personally I'd hate him to leave.

L'Equipe understand Clinton Njie has now agreed to leave Tottenham Hotspur and join Marseille on loan.

Don't understand that either, if true?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Sugarlumps wrote:
    Personally I'd hate him to leave.

Me too.

I know Poch prefers to work with a smallish squad but we need decent players like Chadli this season.

• Advertisement

Sugarlumps wrote:
    L'Equipe understand Clinton Njie has now agreed to leave Tottenham Hotspur and join Marseille on loan.

Apparently there's an option to buy for €7m after a season, too. Which is about half what we paid for him. I wonder how much of this is true.

Apparently there's an option to buy for €7m after a season, too. Which is about half what we paid for him. I wonder how much of this is true.

Yeah I read that, he's barely kicked a ball.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭09_09_09

Patww79 wrote: »

Really like to know what's going on behind the scenes. We are about to lose around £5 millions on this deal and now we are over paying for Kevin. Sounds fishy to me for some reason.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Taking what's being reported as gospel, it doesn't make much sense. Then again, it's not gospel, so I'll take it with that big chunk of salt please

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

If it's true, Poch must just not rate him that highly. I'd trust that he knows if he's got real potential, and would assume he's been watching his progress carefully.

Anyone remember Alen Halilovic? An 18 year old Dinamo Zagreb prospect we were chasing two years ago. He turned us down because we wouldn't guarantee him first team football, due to his age - we obviously offered some football but just a longer integration. He ended up going to Barcelona at the time.

Fast forward two years and he's signed for Hamburg, without making one single first team appearance for Barca. Why are young players so stupid sometimes?

On the bright side, a year later we signed Dele Alli.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

Anyone remember Alen Halilovic? An 18 year old Dinamo Zagreb prospect we were chasing two years ago. He turned us down because we wouldn't guarantee him first team football, due to his age - we obviously offered some football but just a longer integration. He ended up going to Barcelona at the time.

Fast forward two years and he's signed for Hamburg, without making one single first team appearance for Barca. Why are young players so stupid sometimes?

On the bright side, a year later we signed Dele Alli.

I remember that yeah. In fairness the chance to join Barca doesn't come along to often. Hamburg are his fall back option now.

Ormus wrote: »
    I remember that yeah. In fairness the chance to join Barca doesn't come along to often. Hamburg are his fall back option now.

I accept it's a dream and all that. Though I personally think that it shows intelligence, confidence and the desire to work hard when a player chooses to take a, relative, step down in order to prove himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

I was reading up on this and it seems Barca have the option to buy him back in the first and second years of his stay at Hamburg (different rates though). So he could quite well end up being a regular for Barca still.

Record understand Benfica are in negotiations with Spurs over the season-long loan of Nabil Bentaleb.

I like the idea of a loan move.

Pochettino also revealed that Clinton N’Jie, who was also left behind, is still part of his plans, but trio Nabil Bentaleb, Federico Fazio and Alex Pritchard know their futures lie elsewhere.

“I think it’s very clear their situation.

“They are not in my plan; they know, I made it clear with them, I communicated with them, it’s not a problem. They know the situation.”

Fazio is still on the books? Thought we sold him months ago.

I was wondering why he was still appearing as an active player on fantasy football apps!

Bentaleb - £10m

Pritchard - £8m

Fazio £3-5m?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    Pochettino also revealed that Clinton N’Jie, who was also left behind, is still part of his plans, but trio Nabil Bentaleb, Federico Fazio and Alex Pritchard know their futures lie elsewhere.

“I think it’s very clear their situation.

“They are not in my plan; they know, I made it clear with them, I communicated with them, it’s not a problem. They know the situation.”

I'm disappointed to hear that about Pritchard and Nabil. I can understand that Pritchard just might not be good enough for us, but with Nabil I really thought this time last year he was going to be immense for us. Really seems like something happened behind the scenes last year with him (as well as a few poor showings early doors last season).

I hope he goes on to make it though. I expect him to be a good player, pity it didn't work out for whatever reason.

Fazio? Enough said.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I don't think i was ever sold on Bentelab, and some repeated mistakes which cost us didn't do anything to show me i was wrong. Yes, he's young and will get better, but i just don't think he's good enough to break into the team that we have, or the team that we want...and neither does Poch.

Sport Bild understand Spurs have held negotiations with Mainz attacker Yunus Malli over a potential transfer.

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    Sport Bild understand Spurs have held negotiations with Mainz attacker Yunus Malli over a potential transfer.

I cannot find any article saying this on Bild..

Read this interesting bit....When Yunus Malli (24) Mainz must tremble until at least the weekend (then ends the 10-million-out clause)

https://news.google.de/news/story?ncl=dekgoTxNcI7BiaM&ned=de

It seems to me that we need to activate the clause by the end of this week..

"I expect some signings in the next few weeks -- we'll see what happens. We expect some activity, yes," Pochettino told a news conference.

"Jan Vertonghen is in London but he is training very well now. He's very close to coming back. Wimmer, Alderweireld and Eric Dier and Victor Wanyama can play centre-back. And then young players like CCV [Carter-Vickers] and Ball. We have enough players in that position," Pochettino said.

"He [Vertonghen] is going well in the last few days and we'll see when we arrive Monday and start training with all group what condition he is. If it's not possible [for him to play against Everton], we have players enough to replace him."

Pochettino urged Tottenham's young players to take advantage of their opportunity to play.

"The most important thing is that when they have the opportunity to show their quality, they take it," he added. "It's very good to play this type of game against teams consistently in the Champions League -- the biggest teams in the world. They can show their quality and personality and we can take a lot from these games.

"A good example was Dele Alli -- he came from MK Dons in League One. After a few months, he took a place in the starting XI. And you know what happened after. He went to the Euros with national team. The young players have time to mature and improve. They need to take the opportunity."

Great news about verts. I thought he was at least 4 weeks away from where he is now.

Co6hPUMW8AAbj7D.jpg

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/aug/02/marcus-edwards-17-signs-first-professional-contract-tottenham

Marcus Edwards has finally signed his first professional contract at Tottenham Hotspur.

Great news.

09_09_09 wrote: »
    https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/aug/02/marcus-edwards-17-signs-first-professional-contract-tottenham

Marcus Edwards has finally signed his first professional contract at Tottenham Hotspur.

Great news.

Only saw him play for those few minutes against Madrid, commentators were jizzing themselves.

He's at the right club for nurturing young talent.

• Advertisement

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11675/10520077/brighton-closing-in-on-tottenham-midfielder-alex-pritchard-sky-sources

In other news, Pritchard is leaving as well. I believe now Nabil and Mason/Carroll will follow him.

Yedlin played well during pre-season. We might send him on loan again.

I wish we sign either Fekir or Boufal now.

Advertisement