Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

January transfer window rumors and gossip

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Even hatch might agree with that...might.

Bigtime, Lamela looks really sharp and could be vital to us, only took him 3 years ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

I think he's been sharp and up for it for the last two seasons, always has great intensity. But lately I'm seeing signs that he might be maturing in his decision making, not as impulsive. This could be the season where we get what we paid for.

Rumour has it Drinkwater has rejected 80k a week with Leicester amid interest from Spurs. Anyone think he's worth that? Personally I think he's overrated, benefited hugely from playing alongside Kante.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Kimsang

It would be a bit mad to sign drinkwater now that we have Wanyama. Especially with him rejecting 80k/week contracts (that would make him our highest earner? ) ha

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Agents spinning for better deals.

No way are we interested in Drinkwater. If we hadn't signed Wanyama I'd have said yes. I think we're fairly well sorted for centre mid now.

Dembele, Alli, Dier and Wanyama is a healthy number of quality midfielders. Probably among the best quartet weve had in that position for a long time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,744 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

I've one mate who supports Leicester and I'm always slagging him about Drinkwater. I thinks he's a terribly average player. Can't believe he has a EPL winners medal.

I'll have serious egg on my face if this transfer comes off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,917 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Tottenham goalkeeper Hugo Lloris to miss four weeks with hamstring injury.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Misses the Liverpool game, which is not good. Hopefully Vorm can put in a good shift and keep us secure at the back.

Kiith wrote: »
    Misses the Liverpool game, which is not good. Hopefully Vorm can put in a good shift and keep us secure at the back.

His first season in the Premiership with Swansea he was unbelievable, so he is capable. Not easy to get back to that after so long warming the bench though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Ormus wrote: »
    His first season in the Premiership with Swansea he was unbelievable, so he is capable. Not easy to get back to that after so long warming the bench though.

Possibly the best time of the season for him to be called in to action in some ways, with some pre-season appearances behind him. Rust could be more of an issue if this occurred mid-season.

• Advertisement

I had a look at his fantasy football stats and he made 143 saves in his first season in the Premiership. That's far more than any keeper made last season. I know one can't measure a keeper on number of saves alone, but it's impressive. I was surprised when we got him to be our sub goalie, although he has looked shaky at times when called upon. Hopefully he steps up this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

There are two striking things that occur to me reading this (threadbare) thread. One is Spurs only made two signings which are a solid purchase (Wanyama) and a solid punt (Janssen). The other thing is the zero speculation about movement out despite Spurs having 5 of the starting English team. It was not a good Euros for England but when do they ever have one?

This is despite teams spending crazy money and, I'm sure you all saw the graphic in the papers over the Summer, Rooney earns more than the combined wages of the Spurs quintet.

The fact that papers aren't even speculating about us is most likely down to us having CL football and being seen as a coming team. It is also probably due to other teams knowing Levy would flay them alive in contract negotiations. Happy days if we can follow up last season's progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

Deise Vu wrote: »
    There are two striking things that occur to me reading this (threadbare) thread. One is Spurs only made two signings which are a solid purchase (Wanyama) and a solid punt (Janssen). The other thing is the zero speculation about movement out despite Spurs having 5 of the starting English team. It was not a good Euros for England but when do they ever have one?

This is despite teams spending crazy money and, I'm sure you all saw the graphic in the papers over the Summer, Rooney earns more than the combined wages of the Spurs quintet.

The fact that papers aren't even speculating about us is most likely down to us having CL football and being seen as a coming team. It is also probably due to other teams knowing Levy would flay them alive in contract negotiations. Happy days if we can follow up last season's progress.

Yeah it's great to say.

Though you can't underestimate the team spirit Poch has created. The papers don't write about Spurs players leaving because they know the players have zero interest in leaving. Any paper talk will quickly be quashed and the journalist will look stupid.

Eriksen in recent days is a prime example!

Ormus wrote: »
    I had a look at his fantasy football stats and he made 143 saves in his first season in the Premiership. That's far more than any keeper made last season. I know one can't measure a keeper on number of saves alone, but it's impressive. I was surprised when we got him to be our sub goalie, although he has looked shaky at times when called upon. Hopefully he steps up this time.

Yeah that first season in the PL was brilliant.

I can only think his poor performances when thrown into our first team is due to lack of confidence.

Hopefully now that he has 4-6 matches to prove himself he can see that he has a half-decent chance to stake a claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

mushykeogh wrote: »

Will take him a while to get up to speed I'd say, if he does come.

It's on, it's off, it's on again, it's off again etc. Jesus....this must the pinnacle of Levy's infamously protracted transfer negotiations down the years.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

It's on, it's off, it's on again, it's off again etc. Jesus....this must the pinnacle of Levy's infamously protracted transfer negotiations down the years.

By most accounts it seems the other crowd's new board wanted to review the deal agreed by the previous board, which led to the breakdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

tiny investment so for following CL qualification (granted there's 2 weeks to go)

it really smacks of summer 2010 all over again - we get CL and no investment

what's the point in getting into the CL if ENIC won't build upon the success ?

it looks like we're on course for another brief flirtation with the CL and falling short in the PL again.

We are not well equipped to compete well in both competitions, if things stay the same we're pissing in the wind and we'll be back in Europa again next season.

tiny investment so for following CL qualification (granted there's 2 weeks to go)

it looks like we're on course for another brief flirtation with the CL and falling short in the PL again.

We are not well equipped to compete well in both competitions, if things stay the same we're pissing in the wind and we'll be back in Europa again next season.

DublinSpur, I called Poch and told him about your recent post, so he recorded this message for you.... :)

http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/10541927/pochettino-wants-more-spurs-signings?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

I'd rather sign players Poch wants that suit our club than buy just for the sake if buying. What area do you feel needs strengthening?

Both the areas I felt needed additions, striker and midfielder have been addressed with Janssen and Wanyama with players that perfectly fit the role we need them for.

does it not remind you of 2010 though ?

look what happened back then. We got to QF of CL and 6th in PL - then straight back into the Europa League cycle - do you think this is our rightful place?

The question is why won't the club build on last season's success to give us a decent chance of making CL again next year.

As things stand we haven't a hope

• Registered Users Posts: 9,744 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Need another striker.

One injury to Kane or Janssen and we are down to the bare bones again.

From what I've see Son and NJie aren't up to filling in up front. Maybe in one or two EPL games but not against teams in the CL or over an extended period of 4-8 weeks if one of the others got a half way serious injury.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

does it not remind you of 2010 though ?

look what happened back then. We got to QF of CL and 6th in PL - then straight back into the Europa League cycle - do you think this is our rightful place?

The question is why won't the club build on last season's success to give us a decent chance of making CL again next year.

As things stand we haven't a hope

Any particular area that needs building upon? I'm guessing you've a few positions in mind given that, in your words, "we haven't a hope" at retaining CL football.

Having seen every team play one game of the season it feels like you're having a knee-jerk reaction and then just doling out the same-old same-old anti-ENIC stuff that you do year on year.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭09_09_09

I'd rather sign players Poch wants that suit our club than buy just for the sake if buying. What area do you feel needs strengthening?

Both the areas I felt needed additions, striker and midfielder have been addressed with Janssen and Wanyama with players that perfectly fit the role we need them for.

In my opinion,

1. Competition for Eriksen - I would love to see a player who can play with swagger. Eriksen blows hot and cold too much. He is pretty much a clone of Coutinho.

2. Dembele's clone. Wanayama is Dier's back up. The things Dembele can do at the moment nobody is capable to do it.

3. Right back - Walker has pace and that's it. We should have gone for Clyne when he was available.

Our bench was very weak in the last match. I think apart from Janseen there was no game changer.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭09_09_09

Need another striker.

One injury to Kane or Janssen and we are down to the bare bones again.

From what I've see Son and NJie aren't up to filling in up front. Maybe in one or two EPL games but not against teams in the CL or over an extended period of 4-8 weeks if one of the others got a half way serious injury.

Poch likes a small squad. You cannot have back-up for back-up, if it makes any sense:D.

It does look like we are only going to sign No can do and a young keeper.

This stinks of summer 2015 when people bitched and moaned and dragged the rest of us down into misery at the start of the season over not signing a bloody striker. Look how that season turned out...

And we have signed a striker this time round too.. Yet there's still someone who just can't help themselves.

irishmover wrote: »
    This stinks of summer 2015 when people bitched and moaned and dragged the rest of us down into misery at the start of the season over not signing a bloody striker. Look how that season turned out...

And we have signed a striker this time round too.. Yet there's still someone who just can't help themselves.

bitched and moaned?

When something looks bad it's fair game to pass comment on it, whats wrong with that? Supporters should be able to raise concerns they have about the club without being accused of bitching and moaning.

Back to the topic, based on the current squad plus what our competitors have done in the summer do you think we are well equipped to maintain our CL status this season? I have us at around 5th or 6th, but obviously hope we can punch above our weight again and finish higher.

Last season was great, getting 3rd was brilliant but surely getting us into the CL is only half a job - the other half of the job involves keeping us there by strengthening the team sufficiently enough to give us the best chance of retaining our place in the CL.

If ENIC hold back again like they did in 2010 I'm afraid we can expect the same result. We don't have the depth of quality to compete well in both CL and PL competitions - it's very likely we'll fall well short in both.

The club is in a good place but if we stand still this summer we're gonna be back in Europa before you know it. And that would be an awful shame after such a great season last year.

I see where Irishmover is coming from. Last year every discussion was interrupted by you complaining about ENIC. It was fair enough in the ENIC/Daniel Levy thread but when it crept into every other thread it became very annoying, repetitive and boring.

However, I will respond to your post because it relates to a transfer activity.

We're in between a rock and a hard place at the moment. It's a catch 22. We have to cement our place in the Champions League year-in year-out before we go spending mad money on 150k per week players. But, at the same time, I appreciate your view that we need to make a serious financial commitment in order to make the jump to becoming a regular Champions League team.

My issue, and I air on the side of caution just like ENIC, if we attempt to make that financial leap, splurge on some €150k a week players and then don't make it into Champions League next season, then we are stuck with over-paid players and not enough revenue to pay them.

ENIC and Poch are like-minded. It's about building a team rather than buying a title. Look at Atletico Madrid. Without being bought by a lunatic Russian or a Saudi swimming in oil or without being one of the largest global brands in world football (United, Real Madrid, Barca) we need to find other ways of developing the strength of our squad.

• Advertisement

If there's ever one thing you can guarantee on this forum is that there'll always be a bull**** debate on ENIC and the clubs spending/wage policy.

I'm out.

Advertisement