Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

January transfer window rumors and gossip

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

I agree that it’s a tricky balance and the example of Ath Madrid is valid, I think what they have done in recent years is wonderful. But whilst they mightn’t pay anyone £300k a week they definitely pay more than ENIC will. There’s no way they could keep the services of Griezmann (for example) without paying him a competitive wage.

Just so we’re clear, I don’t expect Tottenham to be able to compete with the 2 Manchester clubs and Chelsea for players, they are on another planet financially (although if Joe Lewis got excited by Tottenham we could compete – but let’s not flog that dead horse again!)

However we should be able to compete with any other English club for players, we have the financial strength (and now the CL profile) but we seem to choose not to flex it. The same thing happened last summer and we got away with it, I’m just not sure that our model will deliver sustainable CL qualification. A mix of cheaper home grown talent and some ‘peak of their careers’ proven talent is surely an ideal balance. I want to see the club build on the success on last season; if we stand still we will be overtaken quickly.

It would be such a shame for last season to be a once off and not be used as a springboard to long term success. Surely we all agree on that.

We’re all Tottenham supporters on here and we all want the club to do well – I was at Goodison last week and had a great day supporting the club. Just because I’m not on board with the owners doesn’t mean I care less about club.

If we all agreed that everything was perfect at Spurs it would be a very dull message board.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

Of course it would be dull if we all agreed, but it's also dull to do the same argument over and over again, every single season. You haven't changed your tune in years, despite all the evidence you've been given, despite our highest league finish last season, despite our own manager clearly favouring a smallish, young, hungry squad without big name players.

You've got it in your head that the board is evil and out to sabotage the success of the club in order to line their pockets. No amount of evidence is going to change your mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

09_09_09 wrote:
    Poch likes a small squad. You cannot have back-up for back-up, if it makes any sense .

I know what you mean.

Playing one up top means we don't need as much cover as those who play the traditional two up front and no quality player is going to want to play second or indeed third fiddle to Kane and Janssen....

United have Rashford,City have Iheanacho (sp), I was thinking of someone along those lines. Dembele before he went to Celtic might have fit the bill.

I wouldn't say it's essential we sign another striker but it would de-risk the situation. Kane hasn't had a serious injury in the last 3 seasons and he's played a hell of an amount of football in that time so by the law of averages he's due one.

Ormus wrote: »

You've got it in your head that the board is evil and out to sabotage the success of the club in order to line their pockets. No amount of evidence is going to change your mind.

wrong, they are not evil, they are business people who don't put footballing success at the top of their list of priorities - if they did we would have seen more expenditure in the transfer market.

I'm not upset about it any more, there's no point, that's just the way they operate and I've gotten used to it.

That doesn't mean the subject should not be discussed. It's healthy to discuss the pros and cons of these issues as they effect the club we support.

Too often on here I have to deal with folk that play the man not the ball on this subject, it's quite odd because in the non-internet world there are plenty of Spurs people I meet who share my view, ie happy with what we achieved last season but feel the club should be doing more to build upon it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

Too often on here I have to deal with folk that play the man not the ball on this subject

:D:D:D:D

I LOL'd

• Advertisement

I hope we'll all be laughing come May although I can't see it happening at the moment

And it will give me no pleasure what so ever if I'm right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Patww79 wrote: »

What position did you tip us for last season?

What position did you tip Leicester for last season?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

The Ladies Lounge on boards have a thread called "things you wanted to say to your husband/boyfriend/zucchini".

Maybe something similar could be set up here?

What position did you tip us for last season?

What position did you tip Leicester for last season?

I'd love to think this season will be as unpredictable as season however I expect normal service will resume with us coming in at 5th or 6th.

Man Utd and Chelsea will be no where near as weak as they were, plus Liverpool and Chelsea have no European football to distract them.

It's very much stacked against us don't you think ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

I predicted Leicester would finish 1st and spurs 2nd. *

Of course spurs were the only ones to let me down.

* prediction made on April 29th

I was very worried after the season ended. I feared Leicester would get disqualified due to doping and the title go to the team in second place!!! It would have been the most Spursy thing ever!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

I was very worried after the season ended. I feared Leicester would get disqualified due to doping and the title go to the team in second place!!! It would have been the most Spursy thing ever!!!

That would be so funny. Hahaha

I'd love to think this season will be as unpredictable as season however I expect normal service will resume with us coming in at 5th or 6th.

Man Utd and Chelsea will be no where near as weak as they were, plus Liverpool and Chelsea have no European football to distract them.

It's very much stacked against us don't you think ?

It's pretty stacked on paper for sure, but I wouldn't be overly surprised if at least one of the big clubs have a mare of a season again. Spurs are a year older, which we needed more than most.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Patww79 wrote: »
    No way any of the Manchesters, Liverpool, or Chelsea are as bad as last season. It was an anomaly year.

You don't see the irony in saying "no way"?

You realise Leicester won the league? The words "no way" are pretty much obsolete.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭09_09_09

SPURS SWAP AGREED

Tottenham and Marseille have finally reached a renewed agreement for the Georges-Kevin N'Koudou/ Clinton N'Jie swap deal, according to Sky sources.

It is understood N'Koudou will join Spurs in a permanent transfer still amounting to around £11m, while N'Jie is set to join Marseille on a season-long loan.

http://www.espnfc.com/tottenham-hotspur/story/2933036/nabil-bentaleb-training-with-tottenhams-under-21s-pochettino

Poch interview.

Nabil is a def. goner and I love this about Lamela;

Meanwhile, the Spurs manager believes Erik Lamela could be set for his best season at the club after an impressive preseason and a goal at Goodison Park in the 1-1 draw last Saturday.

"We hope so. I think so," said Pochettino, when asked if Lamela was in line for his best campaign since he joined Spurs in a club-record deal from Roma in 2013.

"He is always open, he's an energetic player, he shows passion in every training session. He loves football, which he shows every day. He's desperate to run, to play, to take the ball, and that's a good thing.

"Erik needs to feel free on the pitch. Erik is not a player that you need to put in a box and you play here and you do this and that. He needs to feel free in his mind and move freely and for this reason we need to work a lot in the team to try to synchronise the movement. If not, it's difficult to move altogether and create space and play like a team.

SPURS IN FOR MUNIR?

Tottenham are keen on signing Barcelona forward Munir, according to Spanish publication Sport.

The 20-year-old has also reportedly gathered interest from Everton and Stoke, and is rated at around £13m.

He has scored 10 goals in 43 appearances for the Catalan club.

Anybody knows about this news and the player? or agent using our name for a better contract, as usual....

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Think I saw his name earlier in the summer too, doubt there's anything to it, wouldn't be surprised if he wanted a move out though, how many starts are you gonna get with messi, neymar and suarez leading the line :/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I know he was highly rated a few years ago, and was great in Fifa, but that's about it. I think he's one of the Barca prospects, that turn out to be not good enough for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

If this nkoudou signing goes through then I wouldnt be annoyed at all if that was the end of our business.

Poch knows what he wants and he knows sure as sh1t more than all of us on here so ill back him 100pc.

Just saw there that Paul Mitchell the head of player recruitment has resigned. Hope this doesnt have a knock on effect on Poch because Spurs getting Mitchell, if I remember correctly, was a deal breaker for him coming to spurs in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

http://www.90min.com/posts/3655293-tottenham-midfielder-nabil-bentaleb-edging-closer-to-exit-as-schalke-place-improved-bid?a_aid=35322

Talk of Spurs demanding £15m for Bentaleb. Quite a coup if Schalke stump up the cash. The lad only made five appearances last season!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

And if he doesn't go it'll be interesting to see how he reacts. He's been told he's not part of poch's plans, but plans change. Will he put the head down and work or continue being quite the diva.

And if he doesn't go it'll be interesting to see how he reacts. He's been told he's not part of poch's plans, but plans change. Will he put the head down and work or continue being quite the diva.

He's been training with the U21s, so maybe he annoyed Poch too much.

MrKingsley wrote: »

Poch knows what he wants and he knows sure as sh1t more than all of us on here so ill back him 100pc.

I think we are all behind him - but are the club backing him as much as they should - that's the bigger question - based on the net spend since he joined I'd have to say they are not.

I think we are all behind him - but are the club backing him as much as they should - that's the bigger question - based on the net spend since he joined I'd have to say they are not.

Of course they're not. They're only out to make money, they probably even steal money from his wallet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Of course they're not. They're only out to make money, they probably even steal money from his wallet.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQyi52730WfFwMRyM75TurJFMX_AHjQ4VVl9Hgk_-ihaXbwDIO6

You're ignoring the fact that poch recently signed a new contract while also publicly turning down the managerial position of his home country, which more realistically suggests that poch is quite happy with the backing he's receiving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

The club has found a manager who is happy, gives youth team players a chance and doesnt need/want to spend 50 million per window. That is the perfect situation for a club building a new stadium.

Oh and he does all of that whilst keeping us competitive and playing exciting, agressive football(in my opinion).

I honestly cant see a reason to complain about the current situation

Advertisement