Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

January transfer window rumors and gossip

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭09_09_09

WOLFSBURG WANT SON?

Sky Germany say Wolfsburg are interested in signing Tottenham’s Heung-Min Son.

Apparently the South Korea forward has also showed an interest in joining the Bundesliga club and the fee is be supposed to be around €20m.

According to our information, Wolfsburg want to sign Son even if striker Bas Dost does not leave this summer.

Bas Dost would be allowed to leave if there was a good offer which hasn’t happened so far according to sporting director Klaus Allofs.

Mind boggling, why are we selling last year recruits? Perhaps Mitchell identified wrong type of players for us?

Our bench was so poor at the last match and we have only approx. a week to replace him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

09_09_09 wrote: »
    WOLFSBURG WANT SON?

Sky Germany say Wolfsburg are interested in signing Tottenham’s Heung-Min Son.

Apparently the South Korea forward has also showed an interest in joining the Bundesliga club and the fee is be supposed to be around €20m.

According to our information, Wolfsburg want to sign Son even if striker Bas Dost does not leave this summer.

Bas Dost would be allowed to leave if there was a good offer which hasn’t happened so far according to sporting director Klaus Allofs.

Mind boggling, why are we selling last year recruits? Perhaps Mitchell identified wrong type of players for us?

Our bench was so poor at the last match and we have only approx. a week to replace him.

What makes you think we're selling him?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Yedlin having a medical at Newcastle apparently.

Hull have opened talks with Tottenham over a deal for midfielder Ryan Mason, according to Sky sources.

Sky Sports write Mauricio Pochettino is eager to bring Harry Winks through to the first-team squad at Spurs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

I thought he definitely showed enough to warrant a second season. Think of it like this...if wed been offered 20 million for Lamela after a year we all wouldve jumped at it.

Im not sure id like to see him start ahead of Eriksen or Lamela but for me hes definitely the next best option we have as a wide player. And if we do sell him then it means well just have to go out and get bent over a barrel for someone else

• Advertisement

Ormus wrote: »
    What makes you think we're selling him?

Just a guess, Ormus.

I think he might not want to be back-up anymore. He played as a Striker in Europa league now we have Janseen as back-up.

May be Poch does not fancy him anymore same like Clinton. Probably he is not suitable for the league.

I do hope we keep him.It's not a good practice to abandon players after one season like Stambouli.

Nabil Bentaleb has accepted a move to Schalke 04 after Tottenham agreed to a loan with €20m buy clause

http://www.getfootballnewsfrance.com/2016/nabil-bentaleb-to-join-schalke-04/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

09_09_09 wrote: »
    Nabil Bentaleb has accepted a move to Schalke 04 after Tottenham agreed to a loan with €20m buy clause

http://www.getfootballnewsfrance.com/2016/nabil-bentaleb-to-join-schalke-04/

Pity, he showed huge potential. Must have been a falling out. He'll do a decent job for Schalke.

Pretty much full in regards to midfield, looks like he's taking the bullet.

Hakan Calhanoglu's agent has claimed that Tottenham have shown interest in the Bayer Leverkusen forward.

The 22-year-old has also been linked with Atletico Madrid in the Spanish press this summer.

His agent, Bektas Demirtas, told German publication Express: “It is true that Tottenham have registered their interest with me.”

New contract on the horizon for the above fella.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

MrKingsley wrote: »
    The club has found a manager who is happy, gives youth team players a chance and doesnt need/want to spend 50 million per window. That is the perfect situation for a club building a new stadium.

Oh and he does all of that whilst keeping us competitive and playing exciting, agressive football(in my opinion).

I honestly cant see a reason to complain about the current situation

not complaining at all - just voicing concerns - there is a difference.

There is a worrying lack of investment in the team in my opinion - we need to build on last season's success - it feels very much like the last time we got into the CL, it was a great but short experience due to lack of investment - we're heading that way again in my view.

• Advertisement

not complaining at all - just voicing concerns - there is a difference.

There is a worrying lack of investment in the team in my opinion - we need to build on last season's success - it feels very much like the last time we got into the CL, it was a great but short experience due to lack of investment - we're heading that way again in my view.

If Pochettino was saying every second day that were 3/4 players short or that the board wasnt backing him enough then I might agree with you. He has what he wants though.

Tell me this, what is the point of the board going out spending more money if pochettino is happy with what he has?

Im not saying id be delighted if Walker is starting 40 games for us this season but hes obviously better than the current available RBs in Pochettinos mind

If Pochettino was saying every second day that were 3/4 players short or that the board wasnt backing him enough then I might agree with you. He has what he wants though.

Tell me this, what is the point of the board going out spending more money if pochettino is happy with what he has?

Im not saying id be delighted if Walker is starting 40 games for us this season but hes obviously better than the current available RBs in Pochettinos mind

Well said. Not much point buying players the manager doesn't want and won't use. Going with your example of Walker, it's not just that it would be hard to buy someone better, but that there aren't many full backs around who are as fit as he is and as capable of working the whole touchline like he does. It's a shame he's not a more natural defender, but he's the best we've got for the foreseeable future. Trippy is good back up anyway.

Well said. Not much point buying players the manager doesn't want and won't use. Going with your example of Walker, it's not just that it would be hard to buy someone better, but that there aren't many full backs around who are as fit as he is and as capable of working the whole touchline like he does. It's a shame he's not a more natural defender, but he's the best we've got for the foreseeable future. Trippy is good back up anyway.

Yeah he really is playing on the back of his physical attributes. If he could either improve on his concentration whilst defending or become a competent crosser(i nearly choked when i saw lamelas goal against Everton) he would be such as asset in our team.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

fair question, there's a couple of things that could be happening here:

1) Maybe you're right and he's perfectly happy with the group he has and is not looking to upgrade any areas of the squad.

2) However, maybe he's just towing the company line (in public) being a good employee and not rocking the boat.

The bigger question is how are Spurs going to compete efficiently in both the PL and CL with another cost neutral net spend? Do you not think this lack of investment has a negative impact on our ability to maintain our CL status into the future? It's looks pretty obvious to me.

Getting into the CL is half the job, keeping up there is the other half, it's difficult to think that the club are very focused on keeping us there given their investment in players since we qualified, the same thing happened in the summer of 2010 when we last qualified for the CL.

fair question, there's a couple of things that could be happening here:

1) Maybe you're right and he's perfectly happy with the group he has and is not looking to upgrade any areas of the squad.

2) However, maybe he's just towing the company line (in public) being a good employee and not rocking the boat.

The bigger question is how are Spurs going to compete efficiently in both the PL and CL with another cost neutral net spend? Do you not think this lack of investment has a negative impact on our ability to maintain our CL status into the future? It's looks pretty obvious to me.

Getting into the CL is half the job, keeping up there is the other half, it's difficult to think that the club are very focused on keeping us there given their investment in players since we qualified, the same thing happened in the summer of 2010 when we last qualified for the CL.

Number 1 seems far more likely to me. His actions have backed up his words. Plenty of managers who are less secure in their jobs moan in the press to their chairmen about not enough signings. Pochettino is a coach first and foremost. His team all play to a very specific system, and he values unity.

Net spend is literally all you ever talk about. United spent 250m under LVG and got nowhere. Leicester spent two pound fifty and won the league. Open your mind.

You talk about keeping us in the Champions League. If we spend money we can't afford to spend this summer, we'd probably have more chance of being in the Champions League next season, but less chance of being there in 5 seasons' time. Remember we're building a new stadium. It's pricey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Kimsang

I'm pretty sure whenever questioned about incomings for the remainder of the transfer windows Pochettino's line has been "We'll bring in 1,2 or 3 players".
    This is after the wanyama and Jansen transfers. I guess that's why we're linked to so many players *gk, turkish fk taker, french winger*

My guess is that our business is not done, possibly hinging on a few outgoings (Bentaleb, Mason?)

Actually for the last few years I would have been Walker's biggest critic.
    But I was very impressed with his world cup, and the first 2 games of the season. I think we're seeing signs of him moving onto the next level (Finally!!). I'll put it out there, I think he can be a MVP for us this season.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

To be fair, Poch has said a few times that he wants to bring in a few more players. And this is after Wanyama and Jansen were signed. I would hope that any business we plan to do is not waiting on some players being sold. A massive amount of money would have come into the club from TV and prize money from last year, so I would expect some of that would be invested in players, given the opportunity that we have now.

To be honest, I don't think we have a strong enough team to compete in the league and CL this year. I think we'll do well, but given how other teams have strengthened, i see us dropping a place or two.

I sincerely hope I'm wrong though.

Kimsang wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure whenever questioned about incomings for the remainder of the transfer windows Pochettino's line has been "We'll bring in 1,2 or 3 players".
    This is after the wanyama and Jansen transfers. I guess that's why we're linked to so many players *gk, turkish fk taker, french winger*

My guess is that our business is not done, possibly hinging on a few outgoings (Bentaleb, Mason?)

Actually for the last few years I would have been Walker's biggest critic.
    But I was very impressed with his world cup, and the first 2 games of the season. I think we're seeing signs of him moving onto the next level (Finally!!). I'll put it out there, I think he can be a MVP for us this season.

In fairness he hardly put a foot wrong last season, but he always looks like he's about to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

Kiith wrote: »
    A massive amount of money would have come into the club from TV and prize money from last year

I'd say a lot of this may have been lumped in to the payment of the stadium.

Levy will have looked at our squad players and saw some decent value there (i.e. Bentaleb - £15m, Pritchard - £8m and Mason - £10m) - selling those three and bringing in one big signing would improve the strength of the team significantly.

The sooner the debt from the stadium is at a manageable level then you might see some positive net spend figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

From the Spurs site....
    We've reached agreement with Newcastle for the transfer of DeAndre Yedlin. We wish DeAndre all the best for the future.

• Advertisement

Am I right in saying that louis saha, sandro and ryan nelsen were our only signings when we qualified last and Made the QFs? Sorry too lazy to check.

Honestly I dont expect us to be in the Top 2/3 places this year. Looking back, 70 points would have got us 4th twice over the last 6 seasons and no higher. Considering our poor start and finish I think that we have room for improvement but Id still see the same points tally as being a successful season.

Could I ask who people would like to see us sign? And would we rather have a new stadium completely paid off or go out and spend more money under the pretence that more players equals more points?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I still think we need a creative CM. We still don't have a Modric, and we suffered massively last year when Alli and Dembele were out. Wanyama is good, but he's more defensive and i'm not a fan of playing with two DM's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

Schalke saying they have agreed deal to sign Bentaleb.

Am I right in saying that louis saha, sandro and ryan nelsen were our only signings when we qualified last and Made the QFs? Sorry too lazy to check.

Honestly I dont expect us to be in the Top 2/3 places this year. Looking back, 70 points would have got us 4th twice over the last 6 seasons and no higher. Considering our poor start and finish I think that we have room for improvement but Id still see the same points tally as being a successful season.

Could I ask who people would like to see us sign? And would we rather have a new stadium completely paid off or go out and spend more money under the pretence that more players equals more points?

No, Saha and Nelsen were January buys. Can't remember who we bought that summer, apart from Van der Vaart, but there wasn't much activity.

mushykeogh wrote: »
    Schalke saying they have agreed deal to sign Bentaleb.

I heard £17m mentioned? That'd be amazing business in my opinion. The only player to leave an English club for a European club this summer for over 10m is Mo Salah. Crazy stat. Shows that the Premiership is so rich that European clubs can't even afford the cast offs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

I heard £17m mentioned?

If thats correct, they were well and truely Levy'd! 10 mill maybe, surely not 17?!

mushykeogh wrote: »
    If thats correct, they were well and truely Levy'd! 10 mill maybe, surely not 17?!

I thought I saw something about 10m rising to 17, but that may have been a tabloid.

No, Saha and Nelsen were January buys. Can't remember who we bought that summer, apart from Van der Vaart, but there wasn't much activity.

Yeah your right. So in the summer we loaned Adebayor, signed friedel on a free and bought parker. Im far happier with our business this window. We have a settled squad, havent sold anyone and added two, by the looks of it, quality players.

With regards a creative midfielder, and ive made this point before about a potential striker.

If we are looking for one we are basically looking for a third choice creative midfielder who will play if alli and dembele are out. And thats not mentioning son or eriksen. Who would realistically want to come to spurs to only be able to play 20 odd games a season at most? Either an aging mercenary or an unproven talent in my mind

Good God Sky sources are linking us strongly with Wilfried Zaha!!!

• Advertisement

Good God Sky sources are linking us strongly with Wilfried Zaha!!!

Just saw that. Please god say it ain't so.

Advertisement