Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

January transfer window rumors and gossip

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    He scored a lot of important goals, no doubt notched a few assists. Who's going to replace his goals in midfield?

Is Eriksen consistent?

Is this directed at me regarding chadli's consistency? I didn't say he never did anything but if you'd like debate his form being consistent or not then go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

I predict Sissoko will be great for a few months, then throw a strop at being left out, end up training with the reserves, and get loaned back to Newcastle in two years with us paying half his wages.

Please prove me wrong Moussa.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

I think a bit of perspective is needed. Poch sold Pritchard + chadli + mason (all players he didn't appear to rate) for the price of sissoko.

Hope Hugo keeps sissoko on the right path and he can do something for us. Going to be a tough season and I think we needed another player after letting go above 3.

One thing I would say is why can't we do business at the start of the window then having this madness.

COYS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Ormus wrote: »
    I predict Sissoko will be great for a few months, then throw a strop at being left out, end up training with the reserves, and get loaned back to Newcastle in two years with us paying half his wages.

Please prove me wrong Moussa.

The thing is Poch likes to rotate so he could get plenty of game time. I'm very much warning to him now, have watched some vids from the Euros, he's exactly what we need

• Registered Users Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭Glebee

The thing is Poch likes to rotate so he could get plenty of game time. I'm very much warning to him now, have watched some vids from the Euros, he's exactly what we need

did he get much game time during the euros, cant remember

• Advertisement

Glebee wrote: »
    did he get much game time during the euros, cant remember

He did and he played very well. For me that just made it all the more glaringly obvious that he hadn't bothered his hole while Newcastle were getting relegated. Not to mention constantly telling Arsenal he'd love to play for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Just regarding Sissoko lads... I'll try to give as fair as analysis as I can about him.

There is absolutely no doubt that he has got the ability. On his day he is strong and powerful and nobody can get close to him when he goes on driving runs into the opposition half.

He was pushed out to the wing due to injuries but he's not a winger. His delivery is pretty poor for the most part.

Attacking midfielder is where he should be played because it's where he excelled with us.

Now... that comes with a caveat because when I say excelled... I can genuinely only pick out about 5-6 games when he really stood out and was actually bothered to play.

A lack of consistency and application is absolutely shocking and you'd be pretty hard pushed to find a Newcastle fan who is sorry to see the back of him.

I was listening to BBC 5 Live last night and they had Rory Smith from the Times on trying to pin it to Newcastle's downturn/nose dive in form etc as to the reason why he downed tools and didn't bother.

I can't buy that excuse and it's a narrative that may creep into the Sissoko discussion but if I were you, I'd ignore that sort of thinking.

I don't doubt that he'll absolutely try his heart out for the first few games but when he has to fight for his place, the talk of his attitude and how he deals with being left out will make or break him at Spurs.

When watching Newcastle games last season, it was incredible that commentators kept coming out with saying, "oh I can't believe Sissoko isn't involved today. He's a sublime player"

It just shows that 5-6 good games and a decent showing at the Euro's will carry him a long way but again, it's a narrative that is so far from the truth as to what he was like with us.

1 goal in 37 games last season for an attacking midfielder is a pathetic stat and look, he's not the only one who didn't try for Newcastle last season but his attitude and professionalism would raise serious red flags when things aren't going his way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

Good post, thanks for coming to our forum and giving us the view from a Newcastle supporter perspective.

That_Guy wrote: »
    1 goal in 37 games last season for an attacking midfielder is a pathetic stat

As bad as it is, one thing I would say about that stat is if he was pushed out to the right maybe he wouldn't be in the position to score as many.

Though, you're right, he's an attacking midfielder. He had 7 assists last season, the most in the Newcastle team and 3 more than the next best (Wijnaldum and Mitrovic.)

Don't worry, I'm not arguing. I'm just trying to stay as positive as possible about a lad we just spent £30m on! :o:o

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Dembele doesn't exactly score many, so if he's being lined up as a like for like with him, that's fine. Hopefully he keeps the head down, and actually plays to his potential.

And doesn't turn into our new Adebayor :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭golfball37

Kiith wrote: »
    Dembele doesn't exactly score many, so if he's being lined up as a like for like with him, that's fine. Hopefully he keeps the head down, and actually plays to his potential.

True- Although the Adebayor that played in 11/12 season was the best striker in the league imo, even better than Kane has been these past two seasons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

golfball37 wrote: »
    True- Although the Adebayor that played in 11/12 season was the best striker in the league imo, even better than Kane has been these past two seasons.

giphy.gif

I thought he'd be used more in the attacking 3, but maybe Poch's plan is to turn him into another Dembele. Hopefully not just cos they have the same name.

Imagine a midfield of Dier, Moussa and Moussa. We could just bulldoze teams into submission.

Read this online....

The deal agree with Newcastle is £6-million per season he stays at Tottenham for a maximum of 5 years, thus he will only cost £30-million, if he stays for the full 5 years and performs to the standard we expect. If we ship him out, then the fee reduces although their will be a set minimum figure that has to be reached in any case.

Admittedly it's hearsay but there was instalment plan options being bandied about Sky Sports yesterday. Interesting to think that we don't have to pay the full amount if he doesn't hang around too long. Which could be the case if he doesn't stay motivated.

Read this online....

Admittedly it's hearsay but there was instalment plan options being bandied about Sky Sports yesterday. Interesting to think that we don't have to pay the full amount if he doesn't hang around too long. Which could be the case if he doesn't stay motivated.

Sounds like they got Levy'd too, good deal if true

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

The critisism being levelled at sissiko seems quite OTT, good fuel for the fire though

I read an article on Sky today saying he got his act together under Benitez, averaged a full kilometre extra running per game. It suggests he can be managed. It's possible Poch can do the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Kimsang

I think he must know what he's getting himself in for (Sissoko). We outran every other team last year and I'm sure Hugo has made him aware of this. Hopefully he has enough personal ambition to perform consistently. (Promising french team to be a part of).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Kimsang

"Moussa Sissoko waived a signing-on fee to make sure his move to Newcastle went through before the January transfer window shut – suggesting his decision to head for Tyneside is much more than just about money."

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/moussa-sissoko-waives-signing-on-fee-1351718

Another interesting tidbit:
    "Prior to the start of the 2009–10 season, Sissoko drew strong interest from Premier League outfit Tottenham Hotspur. The English club reportedly offered as much as £12 million for the player and subsequently increased its offer to £15.5 million before president Olivier Sadran declared that Sissoko would not be sold.

Despite Sadran's comments, fellow Premier League club Manchester City, as well as Italian clubs Internazionale and Juventus, and German club Bayern Munich were also linked with Sissoko. To quash the rumours, Sadran announced that Sissoko would not leave the club for anything less than €30 million
    "

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moussa_Sissoko

He subsequently let his contract run out, and newcastle signed him for 1.5m(with 6 months to go)

"During the 2015–16 season, Sissoko was made captain for the final six games of the season, and in his first game as captain on 16 April 2016, he scored his one and only goal of the campaign in a 3-0 home victory against Swansea City.This sparked a six game unbeaten run in Newcastle's relegation battle, which included credible draws against Liverpool and Manchester City, and a final day 5-1 win over Tottenham Hotspur. Despite this, Newcastle were unable to escape the drop zone and were relegated to the Championship."

Was just reading up on him. It seems hes pretty motivated. We can only hope the Newcastle debacle was just a once off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭golfball37

He was always up for the big games in a Newcastle shirt anyway. I remember him being brilliant when they beat Chelsea two season ago and again last year in the big games when they nearly got out of trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭Glebee

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p046g565

Is Sissoko "the one", danny Murphy is talking about in this clip. im guessing it was recorded before he signed....

• Advertisement

Glebee wrote: »
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p046g565

Is Sissoko "the one", danny Murphy is talking about in this clip. im guessing it was recorded before he signed....

The one thing you gotta understand about Murphy is, he's a fúcking cóck. Can't believe he actually played for us. He's a weaselly little príck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

Whats our best starting eleven now?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

The critisism being levelled at sissiko seems quite OTT, good fuel for the fire though

I think it's quite justified based on what he's done in England thus far. Like my post above says, he more of less made a rod for his own back with his attitude.

And look, he wasn't the only one. Wijnaldum, Cisse and Janmaat also contributed to a lousy and pathetic season and we've gotten pretty good money for them all despite them being a core of lazy uninspiring players.

Someone mentioned about him improving his performances under Rafa and to be fair, he did a bit. That last game v Spurs was a prime example of how he and Newcastle as a whole could have been playing all along.

Skeptics (including myself) were saying that it was the biggest "shop window" performance you're ever likely to see from himself and the rest of the players who wanted out.

I like Spurs and I hope he works out but when the criticism is pretty much universal, I'd air on the side of caution with him.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

mushykeogh wrote: »
    Whats our best starting eleven now?

It hasn't changed as far as i'm concerned. Question marks over Eriksen on current form, so maybe Nkoudou?

Lloris
    Walker -- Alderweireld -- Vertonghen -- Rose
    Dier
    Dembele

Lamella
    Alli
    Eriksen?

Kane

Marseille sporting director Gunter Jacob

"Mr. Levy is not the easiest in negotiations, but I must say he was very straight with us.

"I worked well with him. It was difficult, but I'm happy that we were finally able to complete the transfer."

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭oppiuy

It hasn't changed as far as i'm concerned. Question marks over Eriksen on current form, so maybe Nkoudou?

Lloris
    Walker -- Alderweireld -- Vertonghen -- Rose
    Dier
    Dembele

Lamella
    Alli
    Eriksen?

Kane

On Current form id take Dele and Eriksen out

We're coming 6th in the net spend table for the summer....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3771059/Premier-League-clubs-end-transfer-window-677m-net-spend.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490

Only City, United, Chelsea, Arsenal and West Ham ahead of us.

Added to that, two PL teams broke their transfer records for our players. None of the teams ahead of us in the net spend table can boast that!

We're coming 6th in the net spend table for the summer....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3771059/Premier-League-clubs-end-transfer-window-677m-net-spend.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490

Only City, United, Chelsea, Arsenal and West Ham ahead of us.

Added to that, two PL teams broke their transfer records for our players. None of the teams ahead of us in the net spend table can boast that!

That still won't please some of those here

• Advertisement

Advertisement