Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

January transfer window rumors and gossip

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Tottenham manager Mauricio Pochettino is sweating on the fitness of both Mousa Dembele and Eric Dier ahead of Saturday’s trip to Middlesbrough.

Dier and Dembele were taken off with hamstring problems against Sunderland last weekend and then rested on Wednesday as Spurs thrashed Gillingham 5-0 in the EFL Cup.

Pochettino says he will make a late decision on his first-choice midfield pairing and may not risk them, with a crunch Champions League clash against Moscow to come on Tuesday.

“It is a little bit more than cramp,” Pochettino said.

“It was a very small issue. They are running, working, nearly at the same level as the other players.

“Now I need to decide whether to take a risk or to wait for the Champions League in Moscow or against Manchester City.”

Bild report Nabil Bentaleb could return to Tottenham after poor performances and a poor attitude have been shown at Schalke.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,734 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    Bild report Nabil Bentaleb could return to Tottenham after poor performances and a poor attitude have been shown at Schalke.

What a difference 15 months makes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

Sugarlumps wrote: »

Not saying there's no truth to it, but they seem to have named nearly the whole team as being slackers, don't think Bentaleb has been singled out. No quotes from the club either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

I was shouting about Dembele for the last 12 months.

But I've been thinking about it... He must have been looking for guarantees about first team football - it's the only reason I can muster as to why we didn't take him.

He was the ideal Levy buy and Poch seemed to like him too.

Luke Shaw is battling to save his Manchester United career after his latest bust-up with Jose Mourinho (Daily Mirror)

This is one I've been thinking about recently.

Danny Rose has done brilliantly over the last couple of seasons but the wing back positions are key in a 3-5-2 so it's vital we have strength in depth in those positions, especially if we want to compete in the PL and CL in one week.

I'm happy with Trippier as cover for Walker but I don't like Davies as a wing back.

If we could sell Davies for £8m or so and then look to buy Shaw for £15m or so... I'm sure Shaw would be happy to play with Poch again.

Thoughts? Realistic or not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

This is one I've been thinking about recently.

Danny Rose has done brilliantly over the last couple of seasons but the wing back positions are key in a 3-5-2 so it's vital we have strength in depth in those positions, especially if we want to compete in the PL and CL in one week.

I'm happy with Trippier as cover for Walker but I don't like Davies as a wing back.

If we could sell Davies for £8m or so and then look to buy Shaw for £15m or so... I'm sure Shaw would be happy to play with Poch again.

Thoughts? Realistic or not?
    A realistic signing yes. But not for 15. More like 25 imo.

Not realistic in my opinion. He'd have to become our highest paid player to match his current wage. We're not gonna break our wage structure and pay 30m for an injury prone left back who could possibly be back up to Rose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭09_09_09

We should try a cheeky bid for Schendarlian (sp?). His career has gone downhill since he joined them and he will be more than happy to work with Poch in order to gain some confidence and form.

09_09_09 wrote: »
    We should try a cheeky bid for Schendarlian (sp?). His career has gone downhill since he joined them and he will be more than happy to work with Poch in order to gain some confidence and form.

This is a bit more realistic, but we already have Dier and Wanyama for defensive mid, is he an upgrade on them? At his best maybe, but he's struggled at United.

Transfers in Poch era

In
    2014- 15

Ben Davies
    Michel Vorm
    Eric Dier
    DeAndre Yedlin
    Federico Fazio
    Benjamin Stambouli
    Dele Alli

In 2015 - 16

Kevin Wimmer
    Kieran Trippier
    Toby Alderweireld
    Clinton N'Jie
    Heung-min Son

In 2016 -17

Victor Wanyama
    Vincent Janssen
    Georges-Kévin N'Koudou
    Moussa Sissoko

I was going through Poch transfer dealings since he became the manager of our club and by looking at the above signings, the key players are still from AVB era in our team. He has signed only three starting 11 players Toby ( I love this signing most), Victor (or Dier) and Dele and rest of them are either muck (or back up if it makes us feel better) or not up to the standard which is quite scary.

Dier, Alli, Wimmer, Trippier, Alderwiereld and Wanyama are all signings I like.

I wanted Son and I still think he has something to offer, so I'm happy enough with him too.

Not bad business if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭golfball37

Dier, Alli, Wimmer, Trippier, Alderwiereld and Wanyama are all signings I like.

I wanted Son and I still think he has something to offer, so I'm happy enough with him too.

Not bad business if you ask me.

Agree on top line but not on Son. I'd have him out the door asap. I think September is as good as it gets for him. The way he pulled out of the tackle on Cech and his failure to control the ball 3 times on Saturday when in a good position were the final straws for me.

There's been some awful dross signed too. Clinton, Ben Davies, Sissokho and Jansen are just shocking. I can think of players from our excellent youth team 3 years ago who deserve to be ahead of most of them.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I think his signings have been quite good to be honest. He's brought in a few proven PL players, some fantastic young talent, and a few players who haven't worked out like we'd have liked. That's the reality of bringing players in though. Sissoko is the only one that for me makes no sense, especially at the price we paid.

He's bought the best CB in the league, one of the best young midfielders and an extremely effective DM. Davies and Trippier were much needed cover, with Son being a proven attacking player from the BL. N'jie was a punt on a youngster...they rarely pay off.

Also, writing Jansen off after a few months is just stupid.

Kiith wrote: »
    I think his signings have been quite good to be honest. He's brought in a few proven PL players, some fantastic young talent, and a few players who haven't worked out like we'd have liked. That's the reality of bringing players in though. Sissoko is the only one that for me makes no sense, especially at the price we paid.

He's bought the best CB in the league, one of the best young midfielders and an extremely effective DM. Davies and Trippier were much needed cover, with Son being a proven attacking player from the BL. N'jie was a punt on a youngster...they rarely pay off.

To be honest thinking Jansen can still come good after all the evidence and what we saw with Soldado, could be construed as stupid also.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

golfball37 wrote: »
    To be honest thinking Jansen can still come good after all the evidence and what we saw with Soldado, could be construed as stupid also.

That kind of reasoning could be considered downright irrational.

That kind of reasoning could be considered downright irrational.

Unlike the fact he can't control a ball, can't get into a scoring position and can't finish when he does but somehow he might come good... That makes more sense does alright !

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

golfball37 wrote: »
    Unlike the fact he can't control a ball, can't get into a scoring position and can't finish when he does but somehow he might come good... That makes more sense does alright !

As that's not the post I replied it really has no bearing on my post, it's not something I'm debating.

If you'd like to deal with what you actually said and what I actually replied to, the post which makes no rational sense whatsoever, then I'm game, you probably won't do that though as it's pure daftness and well you know it.

• Advertisement

Can't agree more.

Based on the laws of averages Poch's signings have been quite good. Sure look at every other team in the PL, they all have made signings that just didn't turn out as expected - Bebe (£8m) at United, Markovic (£20m) at Liverpool and Mangala (€30m) at City etc. etc.

But Sissoko is the only transfer which has really niggled at me. It was obvious he didn't have much about him but then to agree a £30m* deal with a Championship team is mental.

*whether we pay £6m or not, we still agreed to potentially pay £30m for a Championship player

As that's not the post I replied it really has no bearing on my post, it's not something I'm debating.

If you'd like to deal with what you actually said and what I actually replied to, the post which makes no rational sense whatsoever, then I'm game, you probably won't do that though as it's pure daftness and well you know it.
    Not really, the one you replied to was mine that said the evidence. I just expanded on what I meant by the word evidence in the reply to you.

I would not call him the best, Van Dijk from Southhampton has been very good and I truly believe he will get a big move soon. I hope we are keeping en eye on him. Another one would be Kos. from Arsenal, He is a beast of player. Our Toby - one of the best..

09_09_09 wrote: »
    I would not call him the best, Van Dijk from Southhampton has been very good and I truly believe he will get a big move soon. I hope we are keeping en eye on him. Another one would be Kos. from Arsenal, He is a beast of player. Our Toby - one of the best..

We were in for him supposedly, well before his move to Southampton. Extremely comfortable on the ball, dangerous in the oppositions box. They'll make another killing on a player.

Whoever the Celtic scout is seems to be doing a good job, getting Wanyama and Van Dijk to Celtic.

Maybe we should go after the scout rather than the players!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Whoever the Celtic scout is seems to be doing a good job, getting Wanyama and Van Dijk to Celtic.

Wasn't Paul Mitchell the solution.

Wasn't Paul Mitchell the solution.

He left with mutual consent. We will never know why he left as Poch wanted him in the first place.

Add Dembele to the list. The guy is much better than Janseen at the moment. Hopefully Janseen will have same turkey for Christmas which he had last year. Post Christmas, he was lethal.

• Advertisement

Advertisement