Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best made-for-TV films (HBO/BBC etc)?

• 24-12-2014 10:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭

Does anyone have any recommendations of high-quality made for television films? I'm thinking along the lines of Behind the Candelabra, which was made for HBO.

I've always wanted to see Game Change, about John McCain's bid for the US Presidency in 2008, alongside Sarah Palin. McCain is played by Ed Harris and Palin by Julianne Moore.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

I enjoyed this HBO and BBC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭JaseBelleVie

Game Change is epic. You won't be disappointed when you get to see it.

I think it was made for TV, but one I've always loved is The Deal. Stars Michael Sheen, David Morrisey, Frank Kelly and Dexter Fletcher. Basically it's about the political lives of Gordon Brown (Morrisey) and Tony Blair (Sheen; who would go on to play the ex-Prime Minister twice more in The Queen and The Special Relationship). From their beginnings as backbench MPs in the early 1980's, to the rise to power in the 1990's and up to the present day of the film (2003). It's quite brilliant with powerful acting and an engaging storyline. The "Deal" of the title refers to the deal that Brown and Blair allegedly made in 1994 following the death of the Labour Party leader John Smith (Kelly). That Brown would not challenge Blair for the leadership of the party and would pave the way for Blair's rise to power and ultimately to Prime Minister. This was on the understanding that Blair would eventually step down in favour of Brown and allow Brown to become Prime Minister.

Truman is another one. Gary Sinise plays Harry S. Truman, the 33rd President of the United States. Sinise is spectacular in the role and the film documents his rise to power from very humble beginnings. It is excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

If you're interested in catching Game Change then you should also seek out the far superior Recount. It's made by the same team (including writer Danny Strong, more famous for his role in Buffy the Vampire Slayer) and has a similar calibre cast including the likes of Kevin Spacey and Laura Dern.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

A film release but if you do Game Change and Recount (both excellent) take in Primary Colours as well. Same idea, if you know your politics it repays in spades with a few laughs along the way.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119942/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Duel!! :D One of the first and still one of the best.

Conspiracy http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conspiracy_(2001_film)

Citizen X http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citizen_X

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,059 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Always loved Tobe Hooper's Salem's Lot, made for TV in 1979 starting David Soul and James Mason. It's one of the best Horror adaptations of Kings work and well worth checking out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 90 ✭✭Ihackedboardz

Sorry can't post links but check out a trailer of Threads on You tube

It was made by the BBC back in the early 80's & the height of the cold war, seriously scary even today!

Other interesting/ good films of this genre made for tv:
    The War Game (1965)
    The Day After (1983)
    Countdown to looking glass
    Fail Safe (2000) although the 1964 version with Henry Fonda IMO is better

I love by nuclear nightmare films :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Sorry can't post links but check out a trailer of Threads on You tube

It was made by the BBC back in the early 80's & the height of the cold war, seriously scary even today!

Other interesting/ good films of this genre made for tv:
    The War Game (1965)
    The Day After (1983)
    Countdown to looking glass
    Fail Safe (2000) although the 1964 version with Henry Fonda IMO is better

I love by nuclear nightmare films :)

You will love Special Bulletin. Check it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

The BBC made apocalypse drama, Threads.

Also made by the BBC, the Ray Winstone led borstal drama, Scum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Duel!! :D One of the first and still one of the best.

Conspiracy http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conspiracy_(2001_film)

Citizen X http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citizen_X

Conspiracy was the first film that sprung to mind but be warned it is not a feelgood film. It was a testament to the good acting and script that I was fuming after watching it. It concerns the Wannsee Conference about the final solution based on one of the surviving minutes of the meeting (which were supposed to have been destroyed afterwards!).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭MakeEmLaugh

JaseHeath wrote: »
    Game Change is epic. You won't be disappointed when you get to see it.

Watched Game Change today. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Julianne Moore's Palin was spot on, but went beyond being a mere impression. Harris, though less dominant in the film, was fun swearing up a storm in every scene, considering how rarely we see American politicians (or any politicians, for that matter) ever curse on camera. Harrelson was also reliably good.

Far better than other recent political films such as Oliver Stone's W (which I did enjoy) or The Iron Lady.

Such a shame it hasn't been released on DVD/Blu-ray in the UK/Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Wouldn't belong in the "best" category but maybe might make "best of recent times": Ladies Man the Movie on HBO.

Harris, though less dominant in the film, was fun swearing up a storm in every scene, considering how rarely we see American politicians (or any politicians, for that matter) ever curse on camera.

It's actually a fact that Harris toned McCain down a lot. Apparently in real life, McCain is an unbelievable user of swearing and going ballistic at the slightest provocation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Dirty Steve

You Don't Know Jack with Al Pacino is good. It's a HBO film about a doctor who advocates for assisted suicide. Based on a true story.

Edit: Remembered another one. Taking Chance with Kevin Bacon.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Wedwood

Battlestar Galactica - strictly speaking a two part TV pilot, but was given a theatrical release in the late 70's. ( you could also include the another two part episode which was released as Mission Galactica: The Cylon Attack - aka the one with Lloyd Bridges !!)

One of my favourite movies is Indictment: The McMartin Trial, intense real life HBO drama. James Woods gives an awesome performance

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0113421/?ref_=nv_sr_1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I recently watched Stuart: A life Backwards .It was a joint HBO/BBC production.About a homeless man and his friendship with a writer,based on a true story.I enjoyed it.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0853153/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Can't believe we're on page 2 and no-one has yet mentioned:

Have this on DVD somewhere and paid a small fortune for it when it came out first - remember the days when DVDs were like €35+ when they were released? I'm due a re-watch soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

Girl in the Cafe is an excellent with a great cast, i think its bbc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

A couple of oldies with sport themes -

The Jericho Mile 1979 about a lifer who decides to try to reach the qualifying time for the Olympic 1500 metres this was Michael Manns first film and was made inside Fulsom prison.

The Deadliest Season 1977 - about a "goon" in professional Ice Hockey who kills a fellow competitor. Michael Moriarity is in top form with Meryl Streep

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,752 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

'When Trumpets Fade'

HBO made for tv film from way back in '98, excellent film :)

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Bluftoni

Dear Amercia: Letters Home From Vietnam

The Vietnam War told through journalistic footage and soldier's letters, each one read out by a different Hollywood star e.g. De Niro, Downey Jr., Sean Penn, Martin Sheen etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

Recount with Kevin Spacey http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recount_(film)

And Barbarians At The Gate with James Garner http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbarians_at_the_Gate_(film) are both good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

The Lost Battalion (2001) is a great but relatively little-known WW1 actioner TV movie, based on true events. Rick Schroder gives a solid performance throughout.

Just based on this thread, I sought out and watched Conspiracy (2001).

I won't say anything more than this: watch this film. Seriously. Not feelgood at all, but an amazingly put together film that is well worth a watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭lazza14

+1 for Behind the Candalabra ... amazing performance from Micheal Douglas..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

"Culloden", a 1964 mockumentary on the Battle of Culloden (1746), filmed as if a TV crew were reporting on the battle and interviewing the participants and civilians. A similar film on the Boyne would be good

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭CPSW

One I would recommend a watch would be The Firm, starring Gary Oldman, made in the 80's about football hooligans in London, by the BBC I believe.

Was remade there a few years ago by Nick Love who made the Football Factory and The Business, but used a minor character from the original as the main character in the remake.

Nothing spectacular but worth a watch if you like football and have an hour and a bit to kill!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

The BBC made apocalypse drama, Threads.

Still very dark and grim by today's standards where post-apocalypse stuff is ten a penny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Just watched The Day After on YouTube, scared the **** out of me as a teenager, still good if a tad soap opera-ish before the bomb goes off part starts. Nicholas Myers of Star Trek fame does a good job at the reins.

Have this on DVD somewhere and paid a small fortune for it when it came out first - remember the days when DVDs were like €35+ when they were released? I'm due a re-watch soon.

Im sure that wasn't made for TV?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

I loved Marvellous that was on BBC the end of last year. Terrific feel good film whether you like football or not.

http://imdb.com/rg/an_share/title/title/tt3659786/

Toby Jones is brilliant as always.

2 more goodies, "RKO 281" about the making of Citizen Kane and the really excellent "The Girl" about Hitches "The Birds" and his relationship with Tippi Hedron, way better than the Hitchcock film with Anthony Hopkins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

Last Seduction was released in 151 theaters according to http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=lastseduction.htm

Ageyev wrote:
    Last Seduction was released in 151 theaters according to

Just read on net that it was made for cinema but HBO paid a million to show it first before cinema release, not a classic TV movie in that sense.

• Advertisement

I loved Marvellous that was on BBC the end of last year. Terrific feel good film whether you like football or not.

http://imdb.com/rg/an_share/title/title/tt3659786/

Toby Jones is brilliant as always.

Can't remember laughing so much watching a movie, as watching this, really good stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭OldeCinemaSoz

Dan Curtis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭MakeEmLaugh

I watched Grey Gardens, which was made for HBO and stars Drew Barrymore and Jessica Lange. It was inspired by the Maysles Brothers' documentary of the same name.

Good film. I'd already seen the Maysles Brothers' documentary, but this made me want to watch it again, knowing more than I did about the characters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

A Deadly Adoption (2015). Great film.

Advertisement