Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dog left alone

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭emzippy

The poor dog! They really don't deserve him!

Can you not at the very least record the dog barking for hours and get some closer footage of how distressed he looks? Then show it to the neighbours.

Maybe they really are so dumb they don't realise how distressed the poor dog is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

If they're ok with leaving the dog by himself every weekend and all over Christmas I very much doubt that they would care he's distressed in their absence. Some people seem to just have dogs because of some stupid reason like protection of the property or because they look nice, and don't pay them much attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭maebee

Does shelter just mean a kennel? And is that deemed enough? Are dogs not cold as **** outside in winter?

Regardless they obviously need more than food, water, shelter. They need social interaction too.

He's been very quiet today. As it's been raining all day, he stayed in his kennel. The rain stopped 2 hours ago and he's now barking like mad again. This will go on for hours :(. Hubby & son both agree that's it's disgraceful but were not on for releasing him - trespassing on neighbour's property etc. I'm going to call these: http://www.ispca.ie/contact_ispca/ tomorrow.

Gongoozler wrote: »
    If they're ok with leaving the dog by himself every weekend and all over Christmas I very much doubt that they would care he's distressed in their absence. Some people seem to just have dogs because of some stupid reason like protection of the property or because they look nice, and don't pay them much attention.

Correct. They don't care about their dog :(

Legally I do not think there is much you can do. I do not glean this from personal knowledge - of which I have none - but from complaints I have submitted about people in general areas under the purview of the ISPCA who basically gave me a **** long list of conditions under which someone can intervene.

This is where we need the intellect of Wibbs who - when he is not commenting on mostly anecdote (tee hee had to say it) is actually the Go To guy on canines. He will likely school us both on this.

Illegally however I could give all kinds of advice and offers of help that would not be welcome on boards any more than a private invitation to PM might be. so I will do neither :)

Legally I do not think there is much you can do. I do not glean this from personal knowledge - of which I have none - but from complaints I have submitted about people in general areas under the purview of the ISPCA who basically gave me a **** long list of conditions under which someone can intervene.

This is where we need the intellect of Wibbs who - when he is not commenting on mostly anecdote (tee hee had to say it) is actually the Go To guy on canines. He will likely school us both on this.

Illegally however I could give all kinds of advice and offers of help that would not be welcome on boards any more than a private invitation to PM might be. so I will do neither :)

Eh, thanks.

Welcome :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

Maybe you could record the dog barking and play it back to the owenrs they might cop themselves on then.. And another thing I would tell mr helpful not to be so helpful in future. If no one fed the dog they might not go away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

bluewolf wrote: »
    Cut the lock and mind the poor doggy in your house

As much as op is concerned about the dog maybe he dosent want it in his house. IMO opinion do that once and they have a dogsitter for life

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭careful_now

Oh the poor thing :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

It's pure bloody animal cruelty. I just don't understand why people like that own dogs. In the 4 years we have owned a dog, she has been left alone for about 8 hours on 1 occasion and I felt so bad. Hadn't much of a choice. Any longer and I would put her in kennels.
    These people shouldn't own a dog or any other pet. Do you need a bolt cutter for the locked gate?

last year the doggies were 45 miles away and i decided to stay at a wedding for longer than i had first planned so i drove home took them for a walk and fed them adding a 90 mile journey to my day rather than leave them.

then again i love driving and i love my doggies
    weddings are meh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,792 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

This thread is a little ott, dogs dont miss their owners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

jamo2oo9 wrote: »
    If they were away for the night, that's grand

Eh, no it's not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Capercaille

Why bother having a dog if you don't look after it properly?

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭hairybelly

I've been minding my neighbors dog since they went away for christmas for 5 days.

I visit 4-5 times a day, feed + water them, play ball and generally give them attention for a good 20 minutes each time I pop down.

The dogs of course are devastated they're without their owner, and were quite sad but they've come around a bit now. No excuse, your neighbor should have somebody tending to them several times a day.

Absolute neglect.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

OP - How is the dog today? Is he continuing to bark?? Poor thing, he must be in an awful state...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

(I'm not a vet, so take this for what it's worth - my opinion)

That's horrible. On a lot of levels. It's even criminal. If you feel comfortable, talk to the neighbours about it. But barking dogs that disturb the peace are a crime:
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/environment/animal_welfare_and_control/control_of_dogs.html
    Excessive dog barking that causes a nuisance is an offence. You may be able to solve such problems by talking to the dog owner.

If you don’t get a satisfactory response, you may complain to the District Court and seek a hearing. When you have got a court date, you must inform the dog owner of your complaint by using the form prescribed for this purpose under Section 25 of the Control of Dogs Act 1986. These forms are available from the District Courts and from local authorities.

The court may make an order requiring the occupier of the premises in which the dog is kept to abate the nuisance by exercising due control over a dog. The court may limit the number of dogs that can be kept on a premises or may direct that a dog be delivered to a dog warden to be dealt with as unwanted.

A lot of dog owners are just plain irresponsible. If the dogs aren't barking when they are home, they just happily assume the dogs are fine. Beyond that, leaving the dogs alone for long stretches of times is cruel and probably negligent.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭The Th!ng

Kill the dog's owners upon their return. Feed their remains to the dog.

The dog was barking for 5/6 hours at a time from last Tuesday up to last night, when the owners returned. There hasn't been a peep out of him since and there won't be until they go away again. I called the ISPCA today and they said they don't have an office in my area so they gave me the number of the county Dog Warden, who was totally uninterested. He said that if the dog was being fed and watered there was nothing he could do :(. I told him about how distressed the dog was, jumping at the gate, going around in circles etc. for 5 days. He asked me did the dog look like he hadn't been fed and does he look in bad condition? I said he was definitely fed over the Christmas as I threw our turkey, ham & lamb remains over the wall to him every day. He said he would only call if I was reporting neglect. I said is abandonment not neglect? He said no. I told him that 2 other neighbours had the very same concerns as myself. It was a waste of a 15 minute phone call :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭StormWarrior

So many people are saying that councils will get involved because the barking is a crime. But in reality they probably won't do anything. I had a neighbour who left her dog locked outside alone, all day every day while she was at work, even in winter. It barked all day and the rspca would do nothing as she didn't abandon it for over 36 hours at a time. So I complained to the council, kept a noise diary and got recordings of the barking and they still eneded up doing nothing other than writing her a letter saying "Please don't let your dog bark so much."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Drop an anonymous letter in the door telling them that if they go away and leave the dog barking all day and night again it's going to have an 'accident'. Then if they do it again cut the lock and drop the dog into a rescue as a 'stray' you found wandering on the road.

kylith wrote: »
    Drop an anonymous letter in the door telling them that if they go away and leave the dog barking all day and night again it's going to have an 'accident'. Then if they do it again cut the lock and drop the dog into a rescue as a 'stray' you found wandering on the road.

If he or she does something like this, either threatening notes or breaking an entering, they are liable to be arrested. The reality is, if the dog warden, council and animal recue charities won't get involved there is nothing you can do. It's legal to treat the animal that way. Maybe start a campaign group to get a law passed so people can't leave their dogs locked outside alone for so long. There really isn't anything else you can do besides explaining to the neighbours how distressed the dog is, but it doesn't sound like they are they type who will care.

Thanks but I don't think a letter in the door would be of any help. I spoke to them about it, very nicely, a few years ago. No effect. I reported them in August when they went away for a few weeks. No effect. Me cutting the lock isn't on either as I don't want to be charged with trespassing.

. It's legal to treat the animal that way.

That's exactly what the dog warden said to me this afternoon. He said "They're not breaking any law".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,792 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

So many people are saying that councils will get involved because the barking is a crime. But in reality they probably won't do anything. I had a neighbour who left her dog locked outside alone, all day every day while she was at work, even in winter. It barked all day and the rspca would do nothing as she didn't abandon it for over 36 hours at a time. So I complained to the council, kept a noise diary and got recordings of the barking and they still eneded up doing nothing other than writing her a letter saying "Please don't let your dog bark so much."

I wish people would take their pets to work with them;).

Did you mention it to your neighbour or show them the noise diary.

Before I got my dog, I read somewhere online that the best time to get a dog is in during warm weather and if you make the dog sleep outside for the first week, the dog just accepts it and then won't bark when outside for no reason.

It seems to have worked in our case.

Charlie19 wrote: »
    I
    Did you mention it to your neighbour or show them the noise diary.

Many neighbours complained and yelled at her to shut it up. I wrote her a nice polite letter explaining the distress she was causing. The council wrote to her and told her she'd been complained about. She just didn't care, some people are just like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭cnoc

OP telephone Frankie Coote, Ennis or Second Chance Animal Rescue - both numbers are online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Poisoned pork chop over the fence perhaps ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭The Davestator

These people obvioulsy misunderstod that a Dog is just for Christmas - they're just mixed it up;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Garzorico

Your neighbours are just ignorant cnuts. What was their reply when you raised it with them on previous occasions? Man, I'd be driven nuts by the dogs continuous barking.

Nowt as queer as folk.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

ebbsy wrote: »
    Poisoned pork chop over the fence perhaps ?

Sickening...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

I would keep annoying the authorities like the dog warden and the council, somebody will eventually do something if its easier then listening to you all the time. I think there are laws about noise anyway so they will have to do something from that point of view.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

If he or she does something like this, either threatening notes or breaking an entering, they are liable to be arrested. The reality is, if the dog warden, council and animal recue charities won't get involved there is nothing you can do. It's legal to treat the animal that way. Maybe start a campaign group to get a law passed so people can't leave their dogs locked outside alone for so long. There really isn't anything else you can do besides explaining to the neighbours how distressed the dog is, but it doesn't sound like they are they type who will care.
    I know, but it should be ok to do that.

What about the tuba? The OP could organise a neighbourhood brass band. Practice just happens to take place underneath the bedroom window of the offender from 1am onwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Sickening...

Yum Yum

cnoc wrote: »
    OP telephone Frankie Coote, Ennis or Second Chance Animal Rescue - both numbers are online.

Thanks cnoc. It was Frankie Coote that I spoke to today. He wasn't interested. I will try Second Chance Animal Rescue tomorrow.

Garzorico wrote: »
    Your neighbours are just ignorant cnuts. What was their reply when you raised it with them on previous occasions?

I first said it to her about 7/8 years ago. At that time they had a Red Setter who was even more stressed than their current dog, a golden labrador. She replied "I never hear him barking" (Well, it would be hard to hear him when she's 60 miles away, in Kilkee). She said her back garden was big with plenty of room for him to run around. It was useless. These people just do not see that what they're doing is wrong. I couldn't get through to them. There was no argument. I was very polite but neither of them have looked at me ever since.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

OP, you can call the dog wardens all you like, it may or may not do any good, depending on where you are. In some counties, they'll be very pro-active in helping people out, others aren't so good. There is no compulsion on them to help you... you'll probably need to take the case to the District Court yourself.
    Someone has recommended that you contact a rescue group... I don't know why, as they have no powers whatsoever in relation to nuisance barking, dog control legislation, or animal welfare. The ISPCA is the only rescue organisation with any powers relating to animal welfare only (not dog control), which have only recently been conferred to their very few authorised officers.

With nuisance dog barking, it's simply not true that nothing can be done... there is legislation that deals specifically with nuisance by dog barking:
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1986/en/act/pub/0032/sec0025.html#sec25

Given what your dog warden has told you, you will likely have to initiate the prosecution yourself (in my neck of the woods, the wardens will intiate it for you).
    But in order for you to initiate a case under this legislation, you must first get the prescribed form as is stipulated in the legislation, which must be given to the dog's owner.
    Here is an example of said prescribed form, randomly picked out after a gogle search from the Carlow Co. Co. website (just to illustrate how easy they are to get):
    http://www.carlow.ie/SiteCollectionDocuments/All%20Services/Environment/Application%20Forms/barking-dog-noise-complaint-to-the-district-court.pdf

From the Citizens Information website, information aout how to initiate the hearing with the clerk of your local District Court:
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/environment/environmental_protection/noise_regulations.html
    Applying to the District Court

If this does not work, the Act allows any person, a local authority or the EPA to complain to the District Court about a noise that is ‘so loud, so continuous, so repeated, of such duration or pitch or occurring at such times as to give reasonable cause for annoyance to a person in any premises in the neighbourhood or to a person lawfully using any public place’ and seek an order to deal with the noise nuisance. There is a small fee.
    Consult the Clerk of the local District Court about an appointment for the hearing of your case. You will need to refer exactly to the legislation under which you are making the complaint – Section 108 of the Environmental Protection Agency Act 1992 and the Environmental Protection Agency Act (Noise) Regulations 1994.
    At least 7 days before the date for the hearing of your case, you must serve notice on the person or business you are complaining about, using the Environmental Protection Agency Act 1992 - noise form of notice. It is important to use this form of notice only and to complete it fully and accurately.
    A person making noise in the course of trade or business may have a defence if it can be shown that all reasonable care was taken to prevent the noise or that the noise is in accordance with a licence issued under the Act.
    If the court finds in your favour, it can order the person or body making, causing or responsible for the noise to take measures to prevent or limit the noise. Any such orders must be complied with.

Drop an anonymous letter in the door

I should drop a copy of this in their door: http://www.newstalk.com/VIDEO:-GoPro-captures-what-dogs-heartbroken-reaction-after-his-owner-leaves-the-house

Advertisement