Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Soccer Forum Premier League Era Draft Game Thread

• 25-12-2014 1:25am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if there is an appetite for something like this?
    Possible structure:
    • 16 teams straight knock out
    • 16 player squads so teams can be adjusted for opposition
    • Players can be picked from anyone who played in the premier league, the players should be rated on how good they were when in the league e.g. Hierro was old at Bolton, Pogba was a novice at Man Utd.
    • 1st person to enter gets 1st pick in round 1, 2nd in round 2 etc.
    Any other suggestions?

Here's a link to the round orders:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=93631085&postcount=157

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

I'm in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

We'll plough ahead with it then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

I'm in if this gets going!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

I'm in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Just wondering if there is an appetite for something like this?
    Possible structure:
    • 16 teams straight knock out
    • 16 player squads so teams can be adjusted for opposition
    • Players can be picked from anyone who played in the premier league, the players should be rated on how good they were when in the league e.g. Hierro was old at Bolton, Pogba was a novice at Man Utd.
    • 1st person to enter gets 1st pick in round 1, 2nd in round 2 etc.
    Any other suggestions?

I'm in, but how do you handle players like Fernando Torres? Do you get the Liverpool version or the Chelsea version?

• Advertisement

In so far:

Incognito Man
    Ferris Bueller
    Blatter
    JaMarcus Hustle

I'll read up some old draft threads soon enough and see how these things worked. Players are based on their peaks in the Premier League. So Ronaldo will be slightly less brilliant than he has been at Real Madrid. You can make arguments on their behalf anyway.

It usually works on the peak version of the player that played in the league, so obviously Liverpool torres

Defintely have a time limit for picks, usually 24 hours. Maybe suggest to only join the draft if you're going to be online reasonably regularly or PM other people with a list of your choices in advance if you know you're not going to be online.

If there's one thing that kills a good draft it's people constantly dragging their heels.

Also, beyond the current players named to get a feel for how things are judged, no other names should be mentioned.

I'll be in myself if it is ok with everyone

Incognito Man
    Ferris Bueller
    Blatter
    JaMarcusHustle
    Frankie Lee

Last draft game thread
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=84789793

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭DildoFaggins

Count me in.

• Advertisement

Incognito Man
    Ferris Bueller
    Blatter
    JaMarcusHustle
    Frankie Lee
    DildoFaggins

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Im in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Ya

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,978 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

In.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

In.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Chrissybhoy

Get me involved

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

In

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,372 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Inski

The first 3 rounds or so should have stipulations like only English or pre 2000 for a (potential) more even spread of the stars imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I'd be up for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

I'm in also!

• Advertisement

Liam O wrote: »
    Inski

The first 3 rounds or so should have stipulations like only English or pre 2000 for a (potential) more even spread of the stars imo.

I strongly agree with having stips for at least 3 rounds, if not more.

particularly the first round, because luck of the draw will have a huge role at the start, as standout stars will be snapped up make a big difference to teams.

There is no Messi, current Ronaldo, Cryuff, Maradona though. There are some superstar players that are playing in the PL today (or have done until recently) that won't be picked until end of the first round/start of the second and I don't think there's a massive gap between them and what the first few picks will be.

IMO this draft would be the one least affected by the first few picks. And I'm not saying this because I'm third :pac:

I don't mind either way tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

1st person to enter gets 1st pick in round 1, 2nd in round 2 etc.
    [/LIST]
    Any other suggestions?

That won't be fair. It should be 1st in round one gets last in round 2 and first in round three.

Otherwise someone gets high ranking players from the first few rounds while other get their high ranks from the end rounds. It'd be a huge advantage to get the number 1 and 18 pick and so on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭Rushden

I'm in

That won't be fair. It should be 1st in round one gets last in round 2 and first in round three.

Otherwise someone gets high ranking players from the first few rounds while other get their high ranks from the end rounds. It'd be a huge advantage to get the number 1 and 18 pick and so on.

Agree with this. I missed that part in the OP, I premsumed the format you mentioned would be the way it was going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

I'm in if there's a space.

Incognito Man
    Ferris Bueller
    Blatter
    JaMarcusHustle
    Frankie Lee
    DildoFaggins
    Andersonisgod
    LuckyLloyd
    eagle eye
    SlickRic
    Chrissybhoy
    Redzerdog
    Liam O
    ASOT
    Rushden
    Sherlock Watson

That is 16, if anyone wants to be in reserve for pull outs that would be helpful.

I thought it would balance out somewhat over 16 rounds but your solution will be fairer. Making the first round random is an option too. We will go on whatever is the consensus anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

I'll go reserve

• Advertisement

The thing that sometimes bothers me in these things is that you know people will consider someone like Courtois better than say, Brad Friedel.

Or Sterling better than say, Tim Cahill.

Talent must be weighed against total impact on the EPL IMO.

Just reading through this. How does this work? How do you rate Messi vs Ronaldo for instance?

Just reading through this. How does this work? How do you rate Messi vs Ronaldo for instance?

From what I gather if it was La Liga then Messi would be rated above Ronaldo due to being in the league for longer even though they've been similar stats wise the last 5 or 6.

Also, yeah it's not difficult to do a random draw every 2 rounds and just switch the order top to bottom. I'd assume everyone would prefer that?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Reserve here

Boo I can no longer ban people... Cmon old mod friends I like taking part in drafts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I was the 13th person to post, why was I not included?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

Could be on his ignore list and if he's using the touch site it doesn't even show you've posted.

Else, could have been an oversight, if so no sweat, I'll go first reserve!

• Advertisement

Could be on his ignore list and if he's using the touch site it doesn't even show you've posted.

Else, could have been an oversight, if so no sweat, I'll go first reserve!

Ha, harsh on buckety :pac:

Apologies to yourself and SherlockWatson, I missed your post.

Revised list:
    Incognito Man
    Ferris Bueller
    Blatter
    JaMarcusHustle
    Frankie Lee
    DildoFaggins
    Andersonisgod
    LuckyLloyd
    eagle eye
    SlickRic
    Chrissybhoy
    Redzerdog
    Liam O
    Bucketybuck
    ASOT
    Rushden

Hopefully rules can be decided by consensus tomorrow and the draft can begin soon enough.

Reserve here

Boo I can no longer ban people... Cmon old mod friends I like taking part in drafts

Go on then, Bounty can have my spot.

Jaysus that's awfully nice of you Mr hustle. I'm feeling all christmassy just reading this now, if you change your mind the spot is yours but I'll happily take your spot otherwise.... And to think all i had to do was joke that if I was still a soccer mod I'd ban a few people so as to get a spot!

Jaysus that's awfully nice of you Mr hustle. I'm feeling all christmassy just reading this now, if you change your mind the spot is yours but I'll happily take your spot otherwise.... And to think all i had to do was joke that if I was still a soccer mod I'd ban a few people so as to get a spot!

I dunno, I'd love to have you in as you add so much to every draft that the controversy above should be sorted before any spots safe given out

• Advertisement

Liam O wrote: »
    I dunno, I'd love to have you in as you add so much to every draft that the controversy above should be sorted before any spots safe given out

I think it would be fairer if SherlockWatson gets in as first reserve if JaMarcusHustle wants to drop out as it was decided at the start that it would be a first come situation. That would leave Pudsy33 as first reserve then Bounty Hunter.

I think it would be fairer if SherlockWatson gets in as first reserve if JaMarcusHustle wants to drop out as it was decided at the start that it would be a first come situation. That would leave Pudsy33 as first reserve then Bounty Hunter.

JaMarcus was trying to give his position away to someone particular, think you should sort this with him by pm as he mightnt want to give up the spot if BH isnt the one getting it.

My bad, I thought BH was the first reserve. I'll let ye sort it out yourselves :)

I've no.problem with the 1st reserve taking the spot, when JaMarcus singled me out I thought a sure why not but shoot that fellah Watson a pm and let him have a chance if he is busy sure then you call fall back on me or whomever is next in line...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

So when is this getting started?

Are we doing this?

Are we doing this?

If not I'll start my own draft with black jack and hookers!

....actually scrrw the draft

not really if its happening I'm still a reserve

Apologies for the delay lads. I've been rather drunk and hungover lately.
    Copy and pasting some guidelines from the last game courtesy of Bounty Hunter
    I'm thinking a random draft order picked every 2 rounds with the following round being a reversal of that round.

So as to ensure safe draws too maybe have something like whoever drafts no.10 in the 2nd rd also posts up the next rounds draw when they make their pick. That way no one person controls the draws and we always have advance notice of when we will be picking with an early draw before each new round.

usually there are rules along the lines of only being able to draft x amount of players from 1 team and no 2 players from the one team being able to be drafted in a row but why restrict things here, if someone wants to put together a Utd legends team to face off against an all star XI thats up to them.

players will be considerd as good as they were at their prime when picked.

Revised list:
    Incognito Man
    Ferris Bueller
    Blatter
    SherlockWatson
    Frankie Lee
    DildoFaggins
    Andersonisgod
    LuckyLloyd
    eagle eye
    SlickRic
    Chrissybhoy
    Redzerdog
    Liam O
    Bucketybuck
    ASOT
    Rushden

1st reserve Pudsy33
    2nd reserve Bounty Hunter

On the players being considered as good as they were at their peak, consideration must also be made overall impact on the PL coupled with consistency and other similar factors.

If there are no complaints or issues then I don't see why we can't start.

excellent.

let's start so.

1 more thing, is everyone ok with 14 man squads to allow for tactical variation?

• Advertisement
Advertisement