Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Soccer Forum Premier League Era Draft Game Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

These are the rounds where the game is won or lost in my opinion, there is fine margins between picks at this stage and one bad one can ruin your team.

I love the making of shortlist between picks and numbering them in importance to your team and also looking at other teams to see who is most likely to get picked who is most likely to get back to you next pick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Kewell - not a bad choice, his Leeds days he was one of the most exciting players in the world, his pool days not so exciting.

Solid enough pick but probably could have left him for a few rounds.

Ha, don't think he was going to survive rounds tbh. Would have been very surprised if he'd lasted this round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Tevez is obviously incredible value at this stage, was wondering when he'd go. There's another couple of strikers that are still left who I'd consider good value.

Kewell is somebody I thought of as well. He was hot property when he left Leeds that Summer of 2003. Will never forget that goal he scored at Highbury which led to United winning the title that day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,978 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Pick made and pm sent to Frankie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Frankie asked me to post his pick. Done and pm sent to ASOT

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

Here we go again :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

I'd have taken Kewell.

The only reason I haven't taken Tevez is that I might have struggled to get the best out of Lampard. I debated him or Hendry in the last round.

Tevez is astounding value at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

That's a long work day, he's probably asleep now in all fairness.

Well in that case his picks should have been pmmed to someone.

SlickRic wrote: »
    I'd have taken Kewell.

The only reason I haven't taken Tevez is that I might have struggled to get the best out ofpLampard. I debated him or Hendry in the last round.

Tevez is astounding value at this stage.

Besides giggs I can't think of any other extraordinary left winger, kewell in his Leeds days was up there. It'll be interesting which kewell people think of when voting but I don't think left winger will be a big deciding factor overall.

Tevez has a real WOW factor, I still think there are better cb's than hendry out there.

• Advertisement

Ah I know it had only been five mins at the time, i was only taking the piss :pac:

I still think there are better cb's than hendry out there.

i look forward to seeing them.

up against the Colin Hendry of 91-95, it'll be some defender picked now who is better than him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Besides giggs I can't think of any other extraordinary left winger
    Pires.

le tiss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,372 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

An Arsenal fan can't think of another extraordinary left winger than Giggs? Wow.

Liam O wrote: »
    An Arsenal fan can't think of another extraordinary left winger than Giggs? Wow.

It's a Fcking draft pick thread, can you not leave the personal pot shots out of it and stop acting like a child!

Bale, overmars was able to play left, duff. Plenty there tbh rb is the area with least depth IMO.

It's a Fcking draft pick thread, can you not leave the personal pot shots out of it and stop acting like a child!

No need to overreact, was hardly a "personal pot shot".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,978 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Its hardly a pot shot. Seems like a perfectly reasonable thing to say imo considering who played in that position for Arsenal over the years.

Bale, overmars was able to play left, duff. Plenty there tbh rb is the area with least depth IMO.

The RB position is strange becuase there us no stand out genuine world class RB itcan be viewed as having more depth as the difference between 1st choice RB and 16th choice RB wont be that big comparef to other positions

• Advertisement

The RB position is strange becuase there us no stand out genuine world class RB itcan be viewed as having more depth as the difference between 1st choice RB and 16th choice RB wont be that big comparef to other positions

redzerdrog wrote: »

Well neville, irwin and zab are a good bit ahead of most by a good bit imo. That's if irwin is played there of course.

Well neville, irwin and zab are a good bit ahead of most by a good bit imo. That's if irwin is played there of course.

There's a few other's that haven't been as consistent, but have certainly hit higher peaks than Zab imo.

Irwin shouldnt be considered there but id consider the difference between neville and the unpicked RB alot smaller than the difference between Cole and the unpicked LB

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

I can think of 3 right backs that I would be very happy to pick at this stage.

Theres one CB that I cant believe hasnt been picked yet.

Irwin shouldnt be considered there but id consider the difference between neville and the unpicked RB alot smaller than the difference between Cole and the unpicked LB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

True but seeing as overall contribution to the PL and longevity are factors, G. Neville pretty much owns everybody else.

He was mainly lb but was more comfortable at rb and well able to play there, he was even right footed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I still think there are better cb's than hendry out there.
    I really disagree here, Hendry was a monster defender that I wish I'd gotten. I hope he isn't undervalued simply for being a player from the 90's.
    He was mainly lb but was more comfortable at rb and well able to play there, he was even right footed

He'll play RB and be world class at RB if I need him to! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I'd have taken Kewell.

Yep, figured I had to grab him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Tevez was a cracking pick for a 6th round pick, he was not far off some of the first round picks in ability and there are not many players left who have been important players in 3 league title wins with two different teams.

Damn, was sure Le Saux would fall to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

I'm pretty happy with him alright. Need to sort out wingers...

Have a serious predicament coming up I am between two picks one of which is prob the mvp at this point yet the other one is prob more crucial to the balance of my team.

I suspect neither would make it through to the next round but there is a small chance the second one does!

That unless chrissy takes one of then next

Have a serious predicament coming up I am between two picks one of which is prob the mvp at this point yet the other one is prob more crucial to the balance of my team.

I'm exactly the same, there are 3/4 fantastic players and I would love to have them all, but I might have to address other areas first.

I've also noted one absolute legend who still hasn't been picked, but who I don't actually need. Will be interesting to see who gets him.

• Advertisement

I must be thick, can't think of the legend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

If you're talking about players who were great servants in the league and had very good careers with lots of appearances then yes I would say there are a few legends left, however I think pretty much all of the elite, in terms of how good they were at their peak, are gone.

I can think of one legend, not elite though, and it'll be very interesting to see who goes for him.

I can think of one legend, not elite though, and it'll be very interesting to see who goes for him.

Think I know who the "legend" is but happy enough to let him pass through to be honest

If you're talking about players who were great servants in the league and had very good careers with lots of appearances then yes I would say there are a few legends left, however I think pretty much all of the elite, in terms of how good they were at their peak, are gone.

No, I'd say he is more than just a solid club pro type of legend. Opinions may vary though, we'll just have to wait and see.

• Advertisement

was there a decision made on the time limit for this round?

12 hours with 01:00 to 07:00 excluded ok with everyone then?
    Also if people log on and see that there pick is 2 or 3 picks away and they won't be online for a while then send Donnielighto a PM with a list of preferences.
    was there a decision made on the time limit for this round?

Chrissybhoy has until 13:58 tomorrow to post I think.

Chrissybhoy has until 13:58 tomorrow to post I think.

cool just wanted to get clarity on it sooner rather than later

Gary Speed was the legend I was talking about.

Gary Speed was the legend I was talking about.

ditto

Not the one I meant though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

Not the one I meant though!

Same as myself, i dont see mine lasting though and its a position im very light on.

Speed was my next preference after Poyet who was my next preference after Tevez. He is a cracking player and can be used in numerous roles. An excellent pick.

Barry, Carrick and arteta - what are people's opinions on these players? I'm a little shocked they've made all time Prem greats teams tbh.

Barry, Carrick and arteta - what are people's opinions on these players? I'm a little shocked they've made all time Prem greats teams tbh.

I think they'll suffer from being current to be honest. All three have played and won at a high level for a long time. The ain't Viera or Makalele but they are't bad players.

• Advertisement
Advertisement