Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Soccer Forum Premier League Era Draft Game Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Can I just say, when I vote I will be judging both teams on their merits and not on who the manager is, and it would never occur to me to do otherwise.

Yep! Anything else would be a bit sad!

So to clear things up we've to judge players that have had one excellent season higher than a player that has 5/6 very good seasons. So if you fill your team with one season wonders you should win.

So we're not judging who's the best Premier League players as such.

This is the crux of it for me.

But I think everyone should proceed and we shake it out at the end. When you're looking at complete 11s how they fit together and match up will be huge and the exact rating of each player will be minimised in importance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Dirty Steve

I'd just like to note that my votes can be bought for a reasonable price.

Say, a pint and a packet of crisps...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Oranage2 wrote: »
    There's a player out there who scored the same amount of goals in a season as Henrys highest, does that mean I'm suppose to judge them equally?

No, it's stupid.

It isnt all about goals. and whether it's stupid or not you should have raised concerns before the draft rather than waiting till now?

So to clear things up we've to judge players that have had one excellent season higher than a player that has 5/6 very good seasons. So if you fill your team with one season wonders you should win.

Not wholely, it's in the post I linked, 2 great seasons trumps 3/4 very good seasons. It isn't black and white but focus is on the peak.

• Advertisement

Don't worry I'll be voting, also to let know, managers likeability will heavily feature in my decision!

Childish
    I'd be surprised if people didn't take points off if they didn't like the poster, welcome to the real world.

And my criteria would have someone scoring 18 goals over 3 seasons ahead of a guy scoring 20 goals once if both players are of similar ability.

You do realise why the way of measuring players was discussed before the draft, because it will have impacted on how players were picked. To just land in and say you dont care about that, call it stupid and you'll vote on your own et of criteria is completely arrogant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Childsh

You do realise why the way of measuring players ws discussed before the draft, because it will have impacted on how players were picked. To just land in and say you dont care about that, call it stupid and you'll vote on your own et of criteria is completely arrogant.

I never said I didn't care about original criteria, I said I'd use it as a guideline, my criteria was how good a player Actually was when he was in the Prem, so I would rate Klinesman very high even though he only had one season.

Another example I would rate Henry higher than Suarez because Henry did it for longer even though Suarez scored more goals in a single season.

I take each player on their own merits. I didn't raise any concerns because I wasn't expecting people to follow the original criteria to the letter, I thought there was a little wiggle room.

I never said I didn't care about original criteria, I said I'd use it as a guideline, my criteria was how good a player Actually was when he was in the Prem, so I would rate Klinesman very high even though he only had one season.

Another example I would rate Henry higher than Suarez because Henry did it for longer even though Suarez scored more goals in a single season.

I take each player on their own merits. I didn't raise any concerns because I wasn't expecting people to follow the original criteria to the letter, I thought there was a little wiggle room.

There is wiggle room. Focus is on peaks (taken by performances over a season) but taking overall impact into account. One of them takes priority.

You did say you would be using your own criteria and voting based on manager likeability in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,380 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

With so called one season wonders their ability becomes apparent in their subsequent career so they wont be judged on the season they banged in a few in the PL in an otherwise mediocre career. But with Klinsmann and hopefully Sturridge, they have shown through their careers, Sturridge so far, that these weren't fluke seasons and that their goals per game can back up that this is their quality so they can be judged up against players with longevity greater than theirs.

Like someone says, then you have Cole over Suarez and Cole being my original goalscoring hero except for in season review videos on some cold day in hell I might argue that but it's just not going to happen.

Picked for bucketybuck as he's away. Pm sent to ferris bueller.

• Advertisement

There is wiggle room. Focus is on peaks (taken by performances over a season) but taking overall impact into account. One of them takes priority.

You did say you would be using your own criteria and voting based on manager likeability in fairness.

Okay I did say that, the other poster riled me up and I said some things I would like to take back but I can't.
    Liam O wrote: »
    With so called one season wonders their ability becomes apparent in their subsequent career so they wont be judged on the season they banged in a few in the PL in an otherwise mediocre career. But with Klinsmann and hopefully Sturridge, they have shown through their careers, Sturridge so far, that these weren't fluke seasons and that their goals per game can back up that this is their quality so they can be judged up against players with longevity greater than theirs.

Like someone says, then you have Cole over Suarez and Cole being my original goalscoring hero except for in season review videos on some cold day in hell I might argue that but it's just not going to happen.

I want to comment so hard on sturridge but for the thread I think it's best to not :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Sagna is a really excellent pick at this stage but can think of a lot of players I'd take ahead of Wilshere. He's very average.

Okay I did say that, the other poster riled me up and I said some things I would like to take back but I can't.

I want to comment so hard on sturridge but for the thread I think it's best to not :pac:

Work away, like it or not he has 31 goals in the last 43 PL games that count for this game. Find me someone with a better record than that at this stage there.

But naturally don't post them on the thread...

That's fair enough so, I wont press it.

Work away, like it or not he has 31 goals in the last 43 PL games that count for this game. Find me someone with a better record than that at this stage there.

But naturally don't post them on the thread...

He's had 2 good seasons, one with bolton and one with pool. HE's not a bad pick but he isn't top tier. His goals for pool came in a team that was very attacking and had suarez to distract the opposition. One interesting thing is that around april 22nd last season I think it was sturridges goals and assists had won more points for pool than suarez as he tended to get equalizers or the goal that put them ahead while the uruguayan got a lot of goals and assists that put liverpool 2 or 3 up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

keane2097 wrote: »
    Sagna is a really excellent pick at this stage but can think of a lot of players I'd take ahead of Wilshere. He's very average.

Safe to say I don't wholly agree!

I need someone who can provide steel AND drive forward. He can do that.

A lot of the midfield options I see don't offer quite the same things, although of course I could be missing some.

Anyway. I can't be arsed responding any further, if you don't understand it now, you never will, goodnight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

SlickRic wrote: »

A lot of the midfield options I see don't offer quite the same things, although of course I could be missing some.

If you want someone who can masquerade as an all rounder he might hoodwink a few votes for you from the unwashed I suppose :pac:

He's had 2 good seasons, one with bolton and one with pool. HE's not a bad pick but he isn't top tier. His goals for pool came in a team that was very attacking and had suarez to distract the opposition. One interesting thing is that around april 22nd last season I think it was sturridges goals and assists had won more points for pool than suarez as he tended to get equalizers or the goal that put them ahead while the uruguayan got a lot of goals and assists that put liverpool 2 or 3 up.

I think at this stage he's done more than Klinsmann. Maybe not shown he's a better player but in terms of achievements in the PL he's above him. Since he left Chelsea for Bolton he has a .70 goal per game ratio and that's before you take his good assist record into account. Liverpool didn't really get going until he came back last season so maybe it was a case of Suarez needing him as much as he needed Suarez.

This conversation makes me feel dirty having to defend Liverpool players but I guess this is going to be the overarching "weakness" that people will bring up against my team.

By telling you the rules?

Get over yourself tbh.

Leave it off, it was late and he's cleared up that he'll he using a reasonable way of judging.

• Advertisement

I think at this stage he's done more than Klinsmann. Maybe not shown he's a better player but in terms of achievements in the PL he's above him. Since he left Chelsea for Bolton he has a .70 goal per game ratio and that's before you take his good assist record into account. Liverpool didn't really get going until he came back last season so maybe it was a case of Suarez needing him as much as he needed Suarez.

This conversation makes me feel dirty having to defend Liverpool players but I guess this is going to be the overarching "weakness" that people will bring up against my team.

Die traitor

Almost went for Riise over Winterburn but Nigel's previous relationship with Overmars swung it for me.

Edit: nvm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

And I would have chosen Winterburn if he was still available, Riise not a bad second choice. Really was struggling to think of another good left back apart from him. PM'd Sherlock after my pick.

Wilshere is fine but you'll only get him for one game in the draft and then he's crocked :pac:

Edit: nvm

Are not in my post ;)

Are not in my post ;)

Don't know what you're talking about :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Almost went for Riise over Winterburn but Nigel's previous relationship with Overmars swung it for me.

I hate you. I was waiting for Winterburn to get me 3/4 of that arsenal back line.

And I would have chosen Winterburn if he was still available, Riise not a bad second choice. Really was struggling to think of another good left back apart from him. PM'd Sherlock after my pick.

Has Sherlock quit?

• Advertisement

Can Sherlock confirm if he is going to make his pick or if he has quit? Would be a shame to quit at this stage surely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

I'm out yeh, PM'D BH as I assume he is next in line?

Wilshere is fine but you'll only get him for one game in the draft and then he's crocked :pac:

Honestly, i think his injury record is the only huge issue with him.

And that's not a big deal in this format.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

I doubt someone will want to take over now we are nearly finished tbh.

SherlockWatson -
    Seaman
    Keown
    Heinze

Vieira---Butt

Kanchelskis

Drogba

I think you should just continue on at this stage, not much input going to come from whoever takes over, it's still your team pretty much. Anyway the judging thing has been cleared up.

Ah hang in there mate, don't mind the bull****. You need to finish that team out.

• Advertisement

Don't drop out over a disagreement with one poster, there are only a few picks left, I doubt anyone will want to take your place at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

Ah yer right, I'll make my pick there, sorry for the delay.

Steve Finnan an excellent choice, not many rb better than him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,978 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Ah yer right, I'll make my pick there, sorry for the delay.
    Damn, if you'd pulled out he might still have been there for me. Good pick.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

ahh right ignore my reply Sherlock... woulda liked that team though, with someone dropping out I woulda thought id have nothing (well a lower than average standard) to work with but that woulda been nice to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

There is a few in my head who've over 300 games who'd genuinely offer more steal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

A player having 5 or 6 very good seasons would be beneficial in showing consistency in their ability while a player who only has one excellent season before teams figure out how to stop him or he goes downhill badly that should be taken into account too. It is up to everyone to justify their own selections and put forward arguments as there is a good bit of wriggle room
    I think how teams are set up and balanced will have a bigger impact.

Hopefully I've clarified the criteria a bit.

Finnan was my backup for Sagna.

Good pick.

And yes, there are a few players with more steel than Wilshere, but not necessarily the drive and dribbling ability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Finnan is great pick!

Update, teams starting to take shape.

Chrissybhoy -
    Cech
    Zabaleta
    Lebouef
    Phil Neville

Beckham
    Parker
    McAllister
    Speed

Henry

Redzerdrog -

Martyn
    Carragher
    Ashley Cole

Keane----Arteta
    Kuyt
    Le Tissier
    Tevez
    Ian Wright

ASOT -

Glen Johnson----Sol Campbell----Pallister
    Harte

Parlour
    Danny Murphy

Di Canio
    Zola
    Torres

Bucketybuck -
    Lehmann

Stam
    Johnsen
    Irwin

Batty

Ronaldo
    Gudjohnson
    Ginola
    Klinsmann

Frankie Lee -

McGrath
    Kompany
    Kolarov

Fernandinho
    Poyet
    Scholes

Robben
    Joe Cole

Les Ferdinand

eagle eye -
    Van Der Sar
    Hyypia
    Azpilcueta

Hamann
    Tim Cahill
    Bale
    Hazard
    Suarez

SherlockWatson -
    Seaman
    Finnan
    Keown
    Heinze

Vieira
    Butt

Kanchelskis

Drogba

Blatter -
    Schmeichel

G Neville
    Southgate
    Gallas
    Evra
    Dacourt

Bergkamp
    Shearer

SlickRic -

Sagna
    Hendry
    Desailly
    Gilberto Silva
    Lampard
    Wilshere
    Walcott
    Pires
    Aguero

Rushden -

Toure
    Ricardo Carvalho
    Clichy
    Essien

-McManaman
    Duff
    Sheringham
    Rooney

Andersonisgod -

King
    David Luiz
    Baines

Gerrard
    Fabregas---Nasri

Anelka
    Fowler

Ferris Bueller -

--Cahill
    Vidic
    Riise

Ballack
    Barry
    Ljungberg
    Giggs

Owen
    Yorke

Liam O -

Petrescu
    Bruce
    Radebe
    Winterburn
    Makelele
    Xabi Alonso

Overmars
    Cantona
    Sturridge

LuckyLloyd -

Terry
    Pearce

Mascherano
    Ince

David Silva
    Beardsley
    Kewell

Van Nistelrooy

Incognito Man -

Dixon
    Adams
    Petit

Hargreaves
    Modric

Mata

Van Persie----Robbie Keane

Pudsy33 -

Ivanovic
    Rio Ferdinand
    Brown
    Le Saux
    Carrick
    Yaya Toure

Andy Cole
    Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink

How will the draw for matches work?

How will the draw for matches work?

http://www.randomresult.com/tournament.php
    example result:
    Group #1 competitor #1: ASOT competitor #2: Frankie Lee
    Group #2 competitor #1: Pudsy33 competitor #2: LuckyLloyd
    Group #3 competitor #1: SlickRic competitor #2: eagle eye
    Group #4 competitor #1: Chrissybhoy competitor #2: Ferris Bueller
    Group #5 competitor #1: Redzerdog competitor #2: Sherlock Watson
    Group #6 competitor #1: Bucketybuck competitor #2: Incognito Man
    Group #7 competitor #1: Blatter competitor #2: Rushden
    Group #8 competitor #1: Andersonisgod competitor #2: Liam O

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Junior D

Very difficult for me to try pick the best team there.There's 4/5 standouts at present where I'd would've brought slightly different players in. The team is rate the best so far though is Slickric. Not to keep harping on but I would've brought somebody in instead of Wilshire, but its the next few rounds where everything will be decided. A midfielder from my own club is still available who is see as great value, but in really would be style dependent of the team. Best of luck

Andersonisgod has been PM'd and has been online subsequently. It is frustrating that no picks have been made on a Saturday afternoon when the forum is probably at its busiest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,978 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Andersonisgod has been PM'd and has been online subsequently. It is frustrating that no picks have been made on a Saturday afternoon when the forum is probably at its busiest.
    Ah come on man, don't you know that he has to do a Chelsea post-game thesis and a Barcelona pre-game one for tomorrow. He is a buy man!

• Advertisement
Advertisement