Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Soccer Forum Premier League Era Draft Game Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,380 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Probably still reeling from the ultimate goalkeeper joining one of Chelsea's rivals...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

got no pm but think it was my pick with chrissyboy next, i pmed him anyway.

Delighted to get Martyn had him earmarked from the start coz knew schmicheal would go early

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Chrissybhoy

dildofaggins chose not to recieve PM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Pudsy33 replaced him, I pm'd him though. I can't edit the op to change the names.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

^^^^ his account is closed AFAIK, it's Pudsy that is in I think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

David Luis is a strange pick, unless he's being played as a dm I think it's fantasy draft game suicide.

redzerdrog wrote: »
    got no pm but think it was my pick with chrissyboy next, i pmed him anyway.

Delighted to get Martyn had him earmarked from the start coz knew schmicheal would go early

Martyn is a very good keeper but I would disagree with him being the last of the top tier ones available. I can think of some at his level. I think after the 12th or 13th keeper gets picked there will be a drop off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Pick made.

Martyn is a very good keeper but I would disagree with him being the last of the top tier ones available. I can think of some at his level. I think after the 12th or 13th keeper gets picked there will be a drop off.

Actually Martyn probably is a little bit above most of the ones I have in mind to be fair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

It's me now isn't it?

Edit. Just got the pm

Pick and PM done

Robbie Keane would work well with Van Persie you'd imagine. Are you going for a diamond midfield?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Many thanks to Donnielighto for sorting my pick this morning!

Can I also point out that Eidur Gudjohnsen has 54 goals and around 60 assists in his time at Chelsea, he is a weapon! :D

Yeah I'm thinking a shape something like this. Obviously I need a left back who can provide a threat down that left hand side

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

Redzerdrog, Bucketybuck and LuckyLloyd are the best selections at this point.
    Blatter and Eagle Eye are also very strong.

Lloyd and Redzerdrog have balanced their teams very well, and that balance is the difference so far IMO.

• Advertisement

I've only made 1 pick in the last 5 days.

Could be another 5 when your next in line to ASOT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Bucket, Sherlock and Lloyd would be my favourites to win, good formations and players, but most importantly I think these posters came with a game plan and following it and it has really put them in good steed.

ASOT has until 14:51 to make his pick, if he doesn't make it he gets to make it at the end of round 14.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

just give his team to bh, he knows he wont be online and doesnt pm his pick to ppl.

• Advertisement

If there is a consensus for that to happen after 14:51 then it should be considered anyway.

His pick is in

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Fairs fair he made it even with a reduced deadline

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

Fairs fair he made it even with a reduced deadline

I was expecting to be on this time that's why I didn't pm anyone picks like I said I would, but ended up going out last night and only got in there. If I end up missing a deadline you can happily take my team, fair is fair im not intentionally trying to hold up the draft, just keep getting caught at bad times :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

ASOT wrote: »
    I was expecting to be on this time that's why I didn't pm anyone picks like I said I would, but ended up going out last night and only got in there. If I end up missing a deadline you can happily take my team, fair is fair im not intentionally trying to hold up the draft, just keep getting caught at bad times :pac:

Think about your preference of next picks and if you arent online i'll post it for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,978 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Pick made, pm sent. I just had to take Azpilicueta there, surprised he was left so long considering how consistent he has been over the last two seasons(not including this one).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

Good pick and was my backup for Finnan as well.

As Jose said
    Azpilicueta is the kind of player I like a lot. I think a team with 11 Azpilicueta's probably could win the competition because football is not just about the pure talent.
    'Football is also about character and personality and Azpilicueta has all those traces of a winning personality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Good pick and was my backup for Finnan as well.

As Jose said

Theo, Pires, Aguero, with Lampard behind them.

Happy out tbh.

Why do you do this to me Slick? Back to the drawing board...

ASOT is up again next.

From the 12th pick onwards I'd favour a 6 hour limit between picks to hurry things up, it would be nice to have matches starting next weekend.

• Advertisement

ASOT is up again next.

From the 12th pick onwards I'd favour a 6 hour limit between picks to hurry things up, it would be nice to have matches starting next weekend.
    Well it doesn't work for me. The days I work are 12 hour days. I don't think I've held things up at all. I can get online at work some days but not others.

ASOT is the only one holding things up by the looks of things. If he passes on his picks to somebody else then everything should be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

eagle eye wrote: »
    Well it doesn't work for me. The days I work are 12 hour days. I don't think I've held things up at all. I can get online at work some days but not others.

ASOT is the only one holding things up by the looks of things. If he passes on his picks to somebody else then everything should be fine.

Iv still made all my picks within the set time limits.

Anyway I PM'd my list of picks for the next two so hopefully there wont be anymore hold ups.

Petrescu is fantastic value.

SlickRic wrote: »
    Petrescu is fantastic value.
    Was wincing every time the picks thread has been bumped today expecting his name to be there.

He is, there are still loads of good right backs available though which is probably the reason he has lasted so long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

He really does look like David Duchovney!

He is, there are still loads of good right backs available though which is probably the reason he has lasted so long.

After Neville I think Petrescu would be my 2nd choice of PL era right backs tbh. He was consistently good for years.

A very good player all right but there are plenty who are very close to his level. Petrescu was one of the two I was hoping for though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Are we definitely going 14 rounds?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Are we definitely going 14 rounds?

I would personally be against it.

1) it'll probably take the guts of an extra 4-5 days to get through

2) Not many will use any of their 12-14 round players

I can't see the subs being used to change the results of many matches. Maybe one or two at most.

In saying all of that, some selections so far may have been influenced by the fact that there's an extra three rounds at the end so it'd be unfair to scrap it without universal approval.

Maybe an extra one or two rounds could be a solution. Whatever the chances of people using a round 12 player, using round 13 or 14 players would be fairly unlikely imo.

But I'm happy to go ahead as planned if people don't want to change anything.

I would be against it too. I'm going to assume that we cut short at 11 and avoid taking a replacement player at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I would prefer the extra players myself, as I do think people planned their teams with the extra players in mind. I can think of one choice I would have made differently if I'd known it was the bare 11. Will go with the majority though.

I'd like to go with the extras too would be important to my team

I've been planning on using the extras, I did question whether people were in favour of it a couple of times earlier in the thread and didn't get any response. The time it is taking is a major drawback though.

fwiw, i'm not fussed on the extras, but i'm happy to do it.

• Advertisement

Maybe keep the extras but enforce a stricter timeframe?

Koscielny? Hmm. Better players out there still imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Koscielny? Hmm. Better players out there still imo.
    Not sure on that one, I also think he's better than a lot of centre halves already picked. I am a bit biased on that front though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Not sure on that one, I also think he's better than a lot of centre halves already picked. I am a bit biased on that front though.

He's arguably been the best center back in the league for a couple of seasons, French international ect.

He's arguably been the best center back in the league for a couple of seasons, French international ect.
    Are you saying he has been better than John Terry for the last couple of seasons?

What about Vidic and Kompany?

There is no way he is in any argument for best centre back in the league at any stage since he came to England.

• Advertisement
Advertisement