Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Soccer Forum Premier League Era Draft Game Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Koscielny is a very, very good centre half. He's not the best in the league, no, that's John Terry. However, the fact that Arsenal more often than not fall to pieces without him is telling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Di Matteo is a solid solid pick, Blatter has a good defence, and great forward pairing add good wide men now and that is a solid team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

di Matteo is about the only CM left when I picked Wilshere that I really strongly considered getting instead.

solid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,372 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

eagle eye wrote: »
    Are you saying he has been better than John Terry for the last couple of seasons?

What about Vidic and Kompany?

There is no way he is in any argument for best centre back in the league at any stage since he came to England.

I wouldn't say that. 2 seasons ago when United last won the league I think it was him and Mertesacker were absolutely far and away the best CB partnership in the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,978 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Liam O wrote: »
    I wouldn't say that. 2 seasons ago when United last won the league I think it was him and Mertesacker were absolutely far and away the best CB partnership in the league.
    I remember that year and they were excellent away from home but pants at the Emirates.

Koscielny has never made a PFA team of the year since he came to England. I'm not saying he is a bad defender but he would never ever be in a discussion for best in the league. For me he would be in the same bracket as a couple of defenders that have not been picked in this draft yet so I won't name them but afterwards I will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

I'll have my picks up within the hour, just home and it's dinner time

Keeping it updated

Chrissybhoy -
    Cech
    Zabaleta----Mellberg----Lebouef
    Phil Neville

Beckham
    Parker
    McAllister
    Speed

Quinn
    Henry

Redzerdrog -

Martyn
    Carragher
    Vermaelen
    Ashley Cole

Keane----Arteta
    Kuyt
    Le Tissier
    Tevez
    Ian Wright

ASOT -

Glen Johnson----Sol Campbell----Pallister
    Harte

Parlour
    Danny Murphy

Di Canio
    Zola
    Torres

Bucketybuck -
    Lehmann

O'Shea----Stam
    Johnsen
    Irwin

Batty

Ronaldo
    Gudjohnson
    Ginola
    Klinsmann

Frankie Lee -

G.Kelly
    McGrath
    Kompany
    Kolarov

Fernandinho
    Poyet
    Scholes

Robben
    Joe Cole

Les Ferdinand

eagle eye -
    Van Der Sar
    Hyypia
    Azpilcueta
    Hamann
    Schneiderlin
    Tim Cahill
    Bale
    Hazard
    Suarez

SherlockWatson -
    Seaman
    Finnan
    Keown
    Heinze

Vieira----Gullit----Butt

Kanchelskis

Drogba

Blatter -
    Schmeichel

G Neville
    Southgate
    Gallas
    Evra

Dacourt
    Di Matteo
    Wiltord
    Malouda

Bergkamp
    Shearer

SlickRic -
    Southall

Sagna
    Hendry
    Desailly

Gilberto Silva

Lampard
    Wilshere

Walcott
    Pires

Aguero

Rushden -

Lauren
    Toure
    Ricardo Carvalho
    Clichy

Essien
    Redknapp

-McManaman
    Duff

Sheringham
    Rooney

Andersonisgod -

King
    Koscielny
    Baines
    David Luiz

Gerrard
    Fabregas
    Nasri
    Anelka
    Fowler

Ferris Bueller -
    Hart

--Cahill
    Vidic
    Riise

Ballack
    Barry
    Ljungberg
    Giggs

Owen
    Yorke

Liam O -

Petrescu
    Bruce
    Radebe
    Winterburn
    Makelele
    Xabi Alonso

Overmars
    Cantona
    Sturridge

LuckyLloyd -
    Friedel

Terry
    Pearce

Mascherano
    Ince

David Silva
    Beardsley
    Kewell

Van Nistelrooy

Incognito Man -
    Given

Dixon
    Adams
    Dorigo

Petit

Hargreaves
    Modric

Mata

Van Persie----Robbie Keane

Pudsy33 -

Ivanovic
    Rio Ferdinand
    Brown
    Le Saux

Carrick

Yaya Toure---

Juninho

Andy Cole
    Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

I was gonna take a wide man but had to snap up Juninho. So my team will probably take a different shape than originally planned

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    I was gonna take a wide man but had to snap up Juninho. So my team will probably take a different shape than originally planned

He is a great option to have, with Le Saux and Ivanovich capable of providing good width the diamond midfield is feasible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

It's amazing to see how criminally under rated Koscielny still is tbh. He might not be the best in the league but certainly is up there. He was better than Kompany last year anyway for example.

• Advertisement

He was better than Kompany last year anyway for example.

Ridiculous statement, what about the time Arsenal conceded 6 against Man City, 5 against Liverpool, 6 against Chelsea, was Koscielny excellent in them games?
    Did you take into account Kompany leading his team to yet another league title while being named on the PFA team of the year for the 3rd time in 4 seasons?

I think Koscielny is a good player for the record but to say he is in the same class as Kompany is madness never mind being better.

Ridiculous statement, what about the time Arsenal conceded 6 against Man City, 5 against Liverpool, 6 against Chelsea, was Koscielny excellent in them games?
    Did you take into account Kompany leading his team to yet another league title while being named on the PFA team of the year for the 3rd time in 4 seasons?

I think Koscielny is a good player for the record but to say he is in the same class as Kompany is madness never mind being better.

You can't honestly blame those scorelines on one player, they were complete an utter collapses as team. In any case, he went off after 41 minutes of the Man City game, and at half time in the Chelsea game. I believe that Arsenal had the joint most clean sheets in the league last year.

Kompany is a fantastic defender but last year he was a bit rocky and often injured, and Demichelis was better than him for the most part in the City defence. The PFA is frequently a joke let's be fair, I mean look at David Luiz being in the Fifa team of the year, it's the same sort of thing.
    Look at the stats for Arsenal with and without him below. If he played for Liverpool or United we would never hear the end of praise for him. Probably for the best he remains under rated though i suppose in the long run for Arsenal's sake.

B7EhJ2-CAAE_VTo.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,372 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I agree with Fuzzy on this one, but still don't regard him as a good pick in the draft.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

This is how i'm shaping up so far.

abIkVDeaoC.png

You can't honestly blame those scorelines on one player, they were complete an utter collapses as team. In any case, he went off after 41 minutes of the Man City game, and at half time in the Chelsea game. I believe that Arsenal had the joint most clean sheets in the league last year.

Kompany is a fantastic defender but last year he was a bit rocky and often injured, and Demichelis was better than him for the most part in the City defence. The PFA is frequently a joke let's be fair, I mean look at David Luiz being in the Fifa team of the year, it's the same sort of thing.
    Look at the stats for Arsenal with and without him below. If he played for Liverpool or United we would never hear the end of praise for him. Probably for the best he remains under rated though i suppose in the long run for Arsenal's sake.

B7EhJ2-CAAE_VTo.jpg

The when completing 90 minutes part of that stat is highly significant as the 5 games where he went off before the 90 in the last two seasons they lost 3 of them and drew 1, including a sending off against Aston Villa where he was atrocious. They were losing already in that game and losing 2-1 to Man City and conceded 4 in the first 42 against Chelsea before he went off so they should be included.

That coupled with Wenger not addressing a lack of depth at centre half so when he is missing them having to play teenagers and full backs instead of him which helps the stats.

The PFA awards are usually fairly on the ball.
    Kompany made a terrible mistake against Liverpool which might have proved costly in the title race but he didn't lose his bottle after it.

The when completing 90 minutes part of that stat is highly significant as the 5 games where he went off before the 90 in the last two seasons they lost 3 of them and drew 1, including a sending off against Aston Villa where he was atrocious. They were losing already in that game and losing 2-1 to Man City and conceded 4 in the first 42 against Chelsea before he went off so they should be included.

The PFA awards are usually fairly on the ball.

Listen, I know I'm not gonna convince anyone who has their opinion formed already, but It's very easy to judge players on a few scorelines rather than actually watching them play week in week out. Surely the fact that he had to go off in those games would suggest him not being at his best in terms of fitness too. And no player is immune to poor performances at any rate, including Kompany.

[edit] Anyway, I'm not involved in this so I'll leave ye to argue amongst yourselves! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Against crosses/big forwards given is dodgy, stuck to his goalline, doesnt come out at all.

Kos is a very good defender but not the best in the league over the last few seasons as claimed. Kinda like a rio lite (rio in his peak years)

Malouda is a first class pick, one I hadn't even thought of for some reason.

For 18 months or so he was one of Chelsea's most potent threats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

SlickRic wrote: »
    Malouda is a first class pick, one I hadn't even thought of for some reason.

For 18 months or so he was one of Chelsea's most potent threats.

And after that he was toxic and they couldn't wait to get rid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

lots of players i had earmarked for my subs bench are going this round

very true.

But since the premise seems to be that you can hand pick playing periods for the players you pick, it's not a huge issue.

But since the premise seems to be that you can hand pick playing periods for the players you pick, it's not a huge issue.

I certainly hope so! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Lauren was my next pick anyway. Good choice.

Lauren was the one I had ahead of Petrescu, fantastic pick at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Well he gassed/lost motivation at 31. It's happened to quite a few players ya know!

The problem was Chelsea had handed an aging player a massive contract on wages nobody else was prepared to match once he declined. In normal circumstances he would've been moved on no problem.

A high quality 18 month stint is good enough for a round 10 pick anyhow. Especially in a position that doesn't have a huge abundance of talent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Lauren and Malouda are both very good picks at this stage.

I remember Malouda being influential in one of the title run ins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,978 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Delighted to get Stephen Carr so late in the draft. My gamble of leaving him on the board through two rounds paid off.

I'm very happy with my team right now with just one position to fill and then the subs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Very surprised Lauren lasted so long. Carr was a right back of serious quality as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Lauren is a quality pick so late in the draft however there are still 5 RB's of a similar level to Carr that I would be more than happy to have.

Am not knocking Carr by the way he is a solid pick just the standard on RB's available throughout the whole draft seem to be of a similar quality imo

redzerdrog wrote: »
    Lauren is a quality pick so late in the draft however there are still 5 RB's of a similar level to Carr that I would be more than happy to have.

Am not knocking Carr by the way he is a solid pick just the standard on RB's available throughout the whole draft seem to be of a similar quality imo

Right back is definitely the position with the least quality, there are a lot of solid performers but really there is minimal difference between the likes of Carr, Lauren, Rafael or a few others.

Lauren is a good pick and you could make a case he was the best available, but he wasn't a fantastic player by any means. I guess this deep in the draft thats the level we are at really.

• Advertisement

Right back is definitely the position with the least quality, there are a lot of solid performers but really there is minimal difference between the likes of Carr, Lauren, Rafael or a few others.

Lauren is a good pick and you could make a case he was the best available, but he wasn't a fantastic player by any means. I guess this deep in the draft thats the level we are at really.

There's still three right backs that are solid. I'm going to take the best of the three (imo!) after Pudsy makes his pick. The thing about Lauren, Carr or Sagna or my next pick is that they're solid. No one will look at them and think 'weakness'. Aside from Irwin, Dixon or maybe Neville no one will look at any of the right backs in the draft as a 'strength' either.

Rafael is a weakness. Utd fans are going to be aghast at that, but on the basis of his career to date I think it would be reasonable to point him out as a liability in the Champions League+ standard hypothetical competition this draft will produce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    There's still three right backs that are solid. I'm going to take the best of the three (imo!) after Pudsy makes his pick. The thing about Lauren, Carr or Sagna or my next pick is that they're solid. No one will look at them and think 'weakness'. Aside from Irwin, Dixon or maybe Neville no one will look at any of the right backs in the draft as a 'strength' either.

Rafael is a weakness. Utd fans are going to be aghast at that, but on the basis of his career to date I think it would be reasonable to point him out as a liability in the Champions League+ standard hypothetical competition this draft will produce.

Totally agree. Also how would you judge Suarez?

Banned for acts of madness and he's never scored against a big team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Oranage2 wrote: »
    he's never scored against a big team.
    What?

Pick in and pm sent. I didn't realise it was my pick until I read the post above. Anderson you should really message the next person

I've been informed my last pick may be taken, I'll double check.

Edit: he is, gimme 5 minutes lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

There's a goalkeeper that hasn't been picked yet that had a good 3 or 4 top class seasons. I'm surprised he's still available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

fishing-3.jpg

Ok think my last pick is fine

Ok think my last pick is fine

Who had you tried to pick - just out of interest?

Sorry I have pictures turned of, what is it?

• Advertisement

keane2097 wrote: »
    Who had you tried to pick - just out of interest?

Mikel Arteta, didn't realize he had been taken

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Pick in and pm sent. I didn't realise it was my pick until I read the post above. Anderson you should really message the next person

He said something along the lines of he's above them, pleb.

Ah here, you need to be more subtle than that to catch me.

Ah here, you need to be more ubtle than that to catch me.

No no this isn't a game of ass grab I'm not trying to catch anything..I was having a debate with my friend over Suarez vs Drogba. He brought up Suarez goal scoring was a lot better than Drogs but I said Drogs always produced it in the big games, something I don't believe Suarez has ever done.

I was wondering in a general sense how big game players are judged in this?

No no this isn't a game of ass grab I'm not trying to catch anything..I was having a debate with my friend over Suarez vs Drogba. He brought up Suarez goal scoring was a lot better than Drogs but I said Drogs always produced it in the big games, something I don't believe Suarez has ever done.

I was wondering in a general sense how big game players are judged in this?

You going to stand by that statement?

as if Suarez's only contribution to "big games" can be goalscoring, with no definition of what a "big game" is either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Lauren and Malouda excellent picks at this late stage when you see some of the players going around them/before them

You going to stand by that, statement?

I don't want to derail the thread with a Suarez debate but I don't believe he has, maybe one goal but I can't remember him ever doing it.

Feck you anyway Lloyd I really wanted Arbeloa. Pudsy has done a great job with the team he took over too, Jay Jay, Yaya and Juninho in front of Carrick is a great midfield.

Luckily for me there is one very respectable right back left.

• Advertisement

as if Suarez's only contribution to "big games" can be goalscoring, with no definition of what a "big game" is either.

The ones he didn't score in obv. Like the Mayo football team, the only big games they ever play in are the ones they lose as well.

Advertisement