Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Soccer Forum Premier League Era Draft Game Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

I've been waiting to see who would take Jay-Jay Okocha. He's probably the most entertaining player you could pick. Good pick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Almost done, just need a right winger and I have a few in mind, all of a similar level.

team5_zpsadd88329.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Very strong defence and attack there, and the midfielders are no slouches either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

What site do people use to do their line ups?

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    What site do people use to do their line ups?

http://this11.com/boards/editor#!/editor/

• Advertisement

Question, do your subs count as being in your matchday squad? For example when we get to the match thread can I have a player on the bench and specify that he will come on? Or are we judged on the starting 11 only?

abIlcWpah9.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

54b52e97d3d34.jpg

54b5306708abc.jpg

Pretty much what I'm thinking and where my team will be going with it's last two picks.

I've really gambled on the fact I'll still have a CB of my choice left.

Reina was the keeper that I was talking about earlier, very good pick at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

He said something along the lines of he's above them, pleb.

Wow dramatic misquote.

I actually already said that I haven't a clue what stage we are at in the draft, thus I don't know who to pm. The last round somebody told me eagle eye was after me so I pm'ed him, this round I didn't know so I didn't hazard a guess.

However thanks for the ill-advised and uncalled for insultx good job.

• Advertisement

Wow dramatic misquote.

I actually already said that I haven't a clue what stage we are at in the draft, thus I don't know who to pm. The last round somebody told me eagle eye was after me so I pm'ed him, this round I didn't know so I didn't hazard a guess.

However thanks for the ill-advised and uncalled for insultx good job.

Someone linked you the list of rounds and picks, you're just being a lazy **** tbh, no need to be a drama queen as well.

Someone linked you the list of rounds and picks, you're just being a lazy **** tbh, no need to be a drama queen as well.

Ye for that to make sense I'd have had to have known what round we were actually on when that was sent, I didn't. Odd, how you seem to follow me around, like a bee to honey, always there at the first sight of drama and, in your mind, I am the drama queen. I'd like it noted I haven't insulted anyone, nor have I cursed at anyone in this thread, more than can be said for others it would appear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,372 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Ye for that to make sense I'd have had to have known what round we were actually on when that was sent, I didn't. Odd, how you seem to follow me around, like a bee to honey, always there at the first sight of drama and, in your mind, I am the drama queen. I'd like it noted I haven't insulted anyone, nor have I cursed at anyone in this thread, more than can be said for others it would appear.
    Yeah it must be hard to count the number of players on your team and check to see who your PM came from. That's like 30 seconds you have saved.

Everyone else has managed it, I think it's only fair you do the same. Anyways no worries, we are flying along now.

Liam O wrote: »
    Yeah it must be hard to count the number of players on your team and check to see who your PM came from. That's like 30 seconds you have saved.

Very complicated, perhaps participants had changed, perhaps I'd have forgotten how many are in my team, who knows what could have gone wrong, so I avoided any and all risk of messing up the order.

The **** are you on about, I don't follow you anywhere, and try not to respond to your prose filled bull****, but here, you were plain as day being a lazy ****, you can make whatever excuses you want, but everyone else can see its just you being a lazy ****.

The **** are you on about, I don't follow you anywhere, and try not to respond to your prose filled bull****, but here, you were plain as day being a lazy ****, you can make whatever excuses you want, but everyone else can see its just you being a lazy ****.

I feel very confident that whenever somebody on this forum says a bad word against me, you are often there to offer "thanks." That is when you are not engaging in the foul-mouthed rant yourself of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Less of the abuse please people, stick to the topic in hand.

thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Very complicated, perhaps participants had changed, perhaps I'd have forgotten how many are in my team, who knows what could have gone wrong, so I avoided any and all risk of messing up the order.

And to think all the time you spend crafting your Barcelona related posts!! I guess it doesn't leave anytime for reading the OP in the picks thread and sending on a PM!! :p

SherlockWatson has been banned for a month just as an FYI for picks and whoever his team comes up against.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Wow dramatic misquote.
    Its not really.
    The pick order is linked in the OP of this thread.
    I feel it better not to exercise such attention to detail.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    SherlockWatson has been banned for a month just as an FYI for picks and whoever his team comes up against.

Would we be allowed to do his picks and writeups by PM and put them in the relevant threads?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,978 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I'm making some of my picks from work and I'm very busy but it only takes ten seconds to go to the first page and find out who is after you. Its pretty simple.

Also if you are confused just note the post number of your post in the picks thread, take one off and then divide by 16 and you'll be certain what round it is. Not very difficult.

Would we be allowed to do his picks and writeups by PM and put them in the relevant threads?

For the purpose of the draft, ya thats grand by me.

I'm not sure he deserves that. He was going to quit before and then gets himself banned. Maybe the best thing is that whoever gets drawn against him gets a walkover.

Its not really.

That quote of mine actually refers to my own belief that there are many opinions I disagree with, if I were to go through each thread in detail I'd probably never get off boards such would be the amount of debates I'd have to have, thus I prefer to skim through things. Taking up a darker alternative meaning of it is simply incorrect. I won't speak anymore on this thread about anything non-draft related after this post, I simply felt the quote had to be clarified as two fellow posters referenced it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Blatter wrote: »
    Reina was the keeper that I was talking about earlier, very good pick at this stage.

Quality keeper, better player than Given in my opinion.

eagle eye wrote: »
    I'm not sure he deserves that. He was going to quit before and then gets himself banned. Maybe the best thing is that whoever gets drawn against him gets a walkover.

He'd such a strong team it's a bit of a shame really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Quality keeper, better player than Given in my opinion.

If you're going solely by peaks then yeah I would agree, but the length of Givens career in the league has to help him out a little bit, would consider the two roughly on par overall. Both of them are very good picks however, would personally rate them higher than Lehmann and Friedel. Having a look through some of the teams is interesting, some teams have virtually no weaknesses but then they might not possess any of the real match winners either, while other teams have some great individuals but also have some weaker players too. Looking forward to the match threads, there will be a lot of factors to consider before picking a winner!

• Advertisement

If you're going solely by peaks then yeah I would agree, but the length of Givens career in the league has to help him out a little bit, would consider the two roughly on par overall. Both of them are very good picks however, would personally rate them higher than Lehmann and Friedel.

Can you elaborate on that? How can Given be judged as better than Lehmann?

One went unbeaten all season and holds the CL record for no goals conceded, the other is Shay Given.

One went unbeaten all season and holds the CL record for no goals conceded, the other is Shay Given.
    Shay Given was a spectacular keeper stuck with a smaller club. I always felt that Jens Lehmann was the one possible weak link in the Arsenal team. I don't really rate him at all.

If you're going solely ty peaks then yeah I would agree, but the length of Givens career in the league has to help him out a little bit, would consider the two roughly on par overall. Both of them are very good picks however, would personally rate them higher than Lehmann and Friedel. Having a look through some of the teams is interesting, some teams have virtually no weaknesses but then they might not possess any of the real match winners either, while other teams have some great individuals but also have some weaker players too. Looking forward to the match threads, there will be a lot of factors to consider before picking a winner!

This exactly, I do think there are 3 stand out teams, the other teams are also very strong and it'll be interesting the match ups. I do however think one team was very lazily put together but I won't name names.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Personally never even thought Lehmann was brilliant, as eagle eye said he was a weak link in the Arsenal team in my eyes, IMO they haven't had a keeper good enough for a club like Arsenal since Seaman left. He might have been a similar level as Given, but Given played in the league for his entire career so I would give him extra marks for that.

Shay Given was a spectacular keeper stuck with a smaller club. I always felt that Jens Lehmann was the one possible weak link in the Arsenal team. I don't really rate him at all.

You are allowed your personal opinion of course, I'm just very surprised that anybody thinks that. Shay Given was a solid keeper, just like 5 or 6 others I could pick. He wasn't stuck at a small club, if the bigger clubs had wanted him they could have gotten him but clearly they didn't. Lehmann on the other hand offered more than just a solid performance, he was a matchwinner.

One of them saved a penalty to win the FA cup, the other is Shay Given.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

I always felt that Jens Lehmann was the one possible weak link in the Arsenal team. I don't really rate him at all.
    Towards the end maybe he was a bit dodgy, but in the 03/04 league season and that 06 CL run he was imperious, truly world class.
    One of them saved a penalty to win the FA cup, the other is Shay Given.
    And Riquelme's to put Arsenal through to a CL final ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Lehmann pushed Khan out of the German national team and was UEFA goalkeeper of the year for the second time in 2006. Was immense for a few seasons for Arsenal. A crazy bastard too!

So Lehmann has an unbeaten season and a title win, saved a penalty to win the FA cup and a penalty to reach the champions league final, holds the champions league record for no goals conceded, named on the world cup team of the tournament 2006, and twice named Uefa goalkeeper of the year.

I'm sorry, but I'll be very disappointed if the likes of Shay Given are considered better than him simply for being around longer.

Lehmann was a giant of European football for a few years, Given never hit those heights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

what lehmann did on the international stage, europe or fa cup shouldnt really come into this though should it?

redzerdrog wrote: »
    what lehmann did on the international stage, europe or fa cup shouldnt really come into this though should it?

If he was playing at Arsenal during those spells then I'd argue it should be at the very least noted.

• Advertisement

redzerdrog wrote: »

Its a Premier league draft, but his achievements in the other competitions do reinforce the fact that he was a top class goalkeeper. Regardless, if you want to narrowly limit the scope to premier league only he still easily has a far more impressive resume than Given.

From the op this is what it says,
    the players should be rated on how good they were when in the league

When they were in the league, i.e. the portion of their career they were registered and playing for a team in the league. How they got on in Europe / International football adds important context to how good they were at that time.

I hope that is applied to every player then, and not just league winner and invincible Jens Lehmann. No more talk of Uniteds treble for starters, that won't be relevant.

Its a Premier league draft, but his achievements in the other competitions do reinforce the fact that he was a top class goalkeeper. Regardless, if you want to narrowly limit the scope to premier league only he still easily has a far more impressive resume than Given.
    Given has appeared twice in the PFA team of the year, Lehmann never has.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    When they were in the league, i.e. the portion of their career they were registered and playing for a team in the league. How they got on in Europe / International football adds important context to how good they were at that time.
    Imo its about their performances in the Premier league. For example Cantona is a great pick but if you include Europe he is not such a great pick.

Any player who didn't play for a club in Europe is losing out if you are going down the road that European performances are important. I don't think that is fair.

My team doesn't really suffer if you include Europe as part of things but I don't think it should be part of this.

Given has appeared twice in the PFA team of the year, Lehmann never has.

Premier league winners medal? Unbeaten season.

Regardless, you are more than welcome to consider Shay Given a better goalkeeper than Jens Lehmann if you wish.

Imo its about their performances in the Premier league. For example Cantona is a great pick but if you include Europe he is not such a great pick.

Any player who didn't play for a club in Europe is losing out if you are going down the road that European performances are important. I don't think that is fair.

My team doesn't really suffer if you include Europe as part of things but I don't think it should be part of this.
    No I wouldn't agree, if I say a player showed his ability in x world cup or x Euros I think it adds to their quality. While nothing should be taken away for lack of European/International appearances if someone wants to use it to add to the perception of their players I'd have no problem.

Cantona for instance played in an era when there was a limit to foreigners in Europe and did ok when he played for France. There's not many players of that era who can say anything better so I can use that if it gets leveled at him.

From what I remember of Lehmann in the league he was solid whilst never really being spectacular and capable of losing the rag over absolutely nothing, and did so a few times.

He was in the team for the unbeaten season and did pretty well but so was Lauren, and as bucketybuck said himself, he wasn't exactly a brilliant player (although he was pretty good and was gotten at good value in the draft)

He ousted Khan in 2006 but Khan was pretty much done at that point.

He was very good during the CL run in 06 and received lots of acclaim but in fairness 10 games is a fairly small sample size.

I wouldn't be looking at him as a weakness in the draft by any means as he's a solid pick but I wouldn't be viewing him as a great strength either.

No I wouldn't agree, if I say a player showed his ability in x world cup or x Euros I think it adds to their quality. While nothing should be taken away for lack of European/International appearances if someone wants to use it to add to the perception of their players I'd have no problem.

Cantona for instance played in an era when there was a limit to foreigners in Europe and did ok when he played for France. There's not many players of that era who can say anything better so I can use that if it gets leveled at him.
    And does this World Cup or Euros happen while he was in the Premier league? I can see people using appearances from outside their time in the Premier league like the season before he came to the Premier league or after he left a club.

• Advertisement
Advertisement