Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Soccer Forum Premier League Era Draft Game Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Blatter wrote: »
    From what I remember of Lehmann in the league he was solid whilst never really being spectacular and capable of losing the rag over absolutely nothing, and did so a few times.

He was in the team for the unbeaten season and did pretty well but so was Lauren, and as bucketybuck said himself, he wasn't exactly a brilliant player (although he was pretty good and was gotten at good value in the draft)

He ousted Khan in 2006 but Khan was pretty much done at that point.

He was very good during the CL run in 06 and received lots of acclaim but in fairness 10 games is a fairly small sample size.

I wouldn't be looking at him as a weakness in the draft by any means as he's a solid pick but I wouldn't be viewing him as a great strength either.

That's fair enough. I'm not sure Given is a huge strength either though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    That's fair enough. I'm not sure Given is a huge strength either though.

Spectacular shot stopper and pretty consistent however his weakness in commanding his area is a big drawback.

I'll view him as a strength if he comes up against a team that has a lack of good croseers and/or little aerial ability!

eagle eye wrote: »
    And does this World Cup or Euros happen while he was in the Premier league? I can see people using appearances from outside their time in the Premier league like the season before he came to the Premier league or after he left a club.

Why do people seem unwilling to apply common sense?

There is undrafted foreign right back X who had two spells in the Premiership. At the end of his first spell he played every minute of every game for a team that performed very well in an international tournament. His performance in that tournament helps to illustrate how good a player he was at the time. Pretending that isn't the case is...obtuse. Yes, obtuse - that's what it is.

Spectacular shot stopper and pretty consistent however his weakness in commanding his area is a big drawback.

I'll view him as a strength if he comes up against a team that has a lack of good croseers and/or little aerial ability!

Right, and that is what is going to matter here anyway. We're at a stage of the draft where we're arguing relative value and thinking about depth ratings per position but the reality is that we'll move onto the next stage where tactical fit, etc is more important.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,978 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Why do people seem unwilling to apply common sense?

There is undrafted foreign right back X who had two spells in the Premiership. At the end of his first spell he played every minute of every game for a team that performed very well in an international tournament. His performance in that tournament helps to illustrate how good a player he was at the time. Pretending that isn't the case is...obtuse. Yes, obtuse - that's what it is.
    We can come back to this when the draft is over. I don't want to mention names but there are a few examples of players who performed exceptionally well in international tournaments and failed to impress in the Premier league.

We can come back to this when the draft is over. I don't want to mention names but there are a few examples of players who performed exceptionally well in international tournaments and failed to impress in the Premier league.

Now is the time to discuss those players if you have drafted examples imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

GavRedKing wrote: »
    SherlockWatson has been banned for a month just as an FYI for picks and whoever his team comes up against.
    Liam O wrote: »
    Would we be allowed to do his picks and writeups by PM and put them in the relevant threads?
    I'm not sure he deserves that. He was going to quit before and then gets himself banned. Maybe the best thing is that whoever gets drawn against him gets a walkover.
    Oranage2 wrote: »
    He'd such a strong team it's a bit of a shame really.

Given that it may be awkward for him to take part by PM would it be a possible to allow BountyHunter or another reserve take over his team if they were willing. It might be a bit harsh but he did get himself banned.

When they were in the league, i.e. the portion of their career they were registered and playing for a team in the league. How they got on in Europe / International football adds important context to how good they were at that time.

Without thinking much when setting up the criteria, I think I intended to go on league form mainly, but common sense does come into it and form in cups, European and international football does add context.
    However if in a completely hypothetical situation where a player had a great world cup and was considered amongst the greatest players of all time on the basis of that world cup before coming into the league and ended up being average. In that completely hypothetical situation the player would still be considered average.

I think what I'm trying to say is League form is the primary consideration, cup and European club secondary while international form adds context.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

maybe the banned poster should have to field without his last pick as any red card harms the whole team :-)

• Advertisement

No one is saying the player's Premier League form isn't the primary concern. Fernando Hierro and Laurent Blanc are rightly undrafted to this point. Extreme gaming is easy to spot and will be reasonably discounted by most.

Milan Baros would be another one. Painfully average in the league, had a storming Euro 2004.

He'd obviously be considered a poor pick. I don't think there's much wrong with using international/cup achievements to give further context to a player that actually had a very good PL career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Who are we waiting on?

Milan Baros would be another one. Painfully average in the league, had a storming Euro 2004.

He'd obviously be considered a poor pick. I don't think there's much wrong with using international/cup achievements to give further context to a player that actually had a very good PL career.

Exactly, for example Paul McGrath's performances at USA 94 adds further context to the greatness of the man.
    I might even play him up front.

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Who are we waiting on?

Chrissybhoy, he has until tomorrow at 08:46 to make his pick.

Chrissybhoy, he has until tomorrow at 08:46 to make his pick.

Next in line is ASOT...I've PM'd him to let him know that he's on the clock from 08:46. We're on a six hour clock now, yes? So ASOT would be skipped at 14:26.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I got PM'd ASOT pick let me dig out and post it, also I've to check who he wants is availabel.

I've also got a PM for Frankie's pick spo I'll post that too and PM whoevers next

PM sent to Redzerdog

Do you know what? Kevin Nolan is a great pick at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

Now you's can all be happy i actually pmd my picks :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Do you know what? Kevin Nolan is a great pick at this stage.

I can still think of a few better cm's likewise at centreback, vermalan? Decent player but not right for this competition imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Delighted Neville Southall went under the radar.

Just below the absolute elites in this draft like Schmeichel, Cech and VDS IMO.

If it were whole careers, he'd be on a par or better. That's how good he was.

Also, i've PM'd Chrissyboy.

Is he still in this thing?

SlickRic wrote: »
    Also, i've PM'd Chrissyboy.

Is he still in this thing?

Yeah, I think he said he had a recent newborn in the house and he's kept up the pace very well until the last pick so we'll forgive him for slacking a bit :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,372 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

He should get his extra pick now too if he makes it on.

Southall
    Sagna
    Desailly
    Hendry
    xxxxx
    Gilberto

Lampard
    Wilshere
    Walcott
    Pires
    Aguero

happy out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Southall
    Sagna
    Desailly
    Hendry
    xxxxx
    Gilberto

Lampard
    Wilshere
    Walcott
    Pires
    Aguero

happy out.

Spot the closet Arsenal fan :p

Good team though.

Spot the closet Arsenal fan :p

Good team though.

i unashamedly loved Arsenal during the noughties. Some of my favourite players ever - Pires, Henry, Fabregas, Bergkamp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

i unashamedly loved Arsenal during the noughties. Some of my favourite players ever - Pires, Henry, Fabregas, Bergkamp.
    One of us :cool:

Come in from the dark side, it's cold out there. We have cake in the Arsenal thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Chrissybhoy

Sorry lads I'm back it was got to do with the newborn. Can I make my picks now?

• Advertisement

Yep work away, hope all is well!

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Chrissybhoy

All good. I've two picks that correct

Yep.

Mellberg had one of footballs greatest beards, he was my next choice for right back if I missed out on Gary Kelly.
    tumblr_kxoyrtUfsP1qz8tj3.jpg

Wiltord's an excellent pick, was going to take him myself this round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Jesus, Wiltord is a fantastic pick at this stage. Completely forgot about him and I assume a lot of other people did too, doubt there will be many picks better than him in the final round. Blatters team is very strong but I wonder will he regret it leaving his two centre midfielders till such a late stage.

Jesus, Wiltord is a fantastic pick at this stage. Completely forgot about him and I assume a lot of other people did too, doubt there will be many picks better than him in the final round. Blatters team is very strong but I wonder will he regret it leaving his two centre midfielders till such a late stage.

I only remembered him yesterday, was thinking I was the business :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I think Wiltord is a good pick, but I'm not sure its a good pick for Blatter, if you know what I mean.

There's definitely stronger CM pairings in the draft but at the same time I don't see Dacourt and Di Matteo being rolled over.

• Advertisement

A lot will come down to matchups, I went for my 3 in the middle first and depending on if I come up against strong defenders or strikers people could judge it either way.

I think Wiltord is a good pick, but I'm not sure its a good pick for Blatter, if you know what I mean.

I think he fits in nicely tbh. But I'm interested to know why you think he doesn't?

I have Malouda on the other side who's directness and crossing ability suits Shearer (similar to how he suited Drogba) and Wiltord gives me something different on the other side, who worked well with Bergkamp in their time at Arsenal together.

It is a nicely balanced team all right, it will take a very good team to beat it.

The only issue with Blatter's team at all is midfield really.

There's a chance of over-reliance on Bergkamp for creativity, and the midfield could be overrun by a couple of the better ones, but that's slight nitpicking.

One of the best teams in the draft, comfortably. The defence is so interesting. Evra, Neville, Schmeichel speak for themselves, and Gallas and Southgate as two non-premium picks is a well balanced CB partnership. I'd love to see if the unit would work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

The only issue with Blatter's team at all is midfield really.

There's a chance of over-reliance on Bergkamp for creativity, and the midfield could be overrun by a couple of the better ones, but that's slight nitpicking.

One of the best teams in the draft, comfortably. The defence is so interesting. Evra, Neville, Schmeichel speak for themselves, and Gallas and Southgate as two non-premium picks is a well balanced CB partnership. I'd love to see if the unit would work.

Gallas is the only one in his team i don't like, always thought he was a tad over rated, in the same bracket as Rio in my opinion(This coming from a leeds fn who was delighted to see him go)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

You thought rio was overrated? Who replaced rio in the Leeds side?

• Advertisement

No PM but I think it was my go. Delighted to get De Jong, hopefully he hasn't been picked already but its hard to remember every player at this stage!

I forgot all about De Jong, would have possibly preferred to have him over Fernandinho. Great pick.

Solid team overall you have:
    Lehmann

O'Shea----Stam
    Johnsen
    Irwin

Batty
    De Jong

Ronaldo
    Gudjohnson
    Ginola

Klinsmann

Personally I'd rather O'Shea at left back as the young O'Shea who burst onto the scene there was a more exciting player than the solid enough right back he developed into. I remember a game against Newcastle where he took on about 3 or 4 players with tricks in the box before rifling a powerful shot off the post/crossbar. The right back version of him would never have that level of exuberance in his play.

Happy enough with the first 11 to be honest. Looking forward to the sub picks, I've intentionally went for flexibility formation wise and have a few names in mind that could fit in there depending on the opposition. The likes of Ronaldo will probably not be on the right for example, he could go anywhere there.

abIlGYnao6.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

You thought rio was overrated? Who replaced rio in the Leeds side?

He was never worth the money we payed for him and we did very well to get 30 million off utd.

I found he rated himself higher than he was, now he was a gifted player technically but i found him to be a good defender at best, liable to get caught in possession a little too often. In saying that his 3rd or 4th season with united he was proper class, but for a player who is always mentioned amongst the greatest players in premier league i think his a good bit behind Terry(really pains me to say it, as i really dislike him), Campbell & Adams

Personally I'd rather O'Shea at left back as the young O'Shea who burst onto the scene there was a more exciting player than the solid enough right back he developed into. I remember a game against Newcastle where he took on about 3 or 4 players with tricks in the box before rifling a powerful shot off the post/crossbar. The right back version of him would never have that level of exuberance in his play.

I'm happy enough to have the more solid right back, though he was still well able to get forward on that side. Regardless, you might easily see him on the left, I can switch him and Irwin with impunity depending on who we face which is a big asset as far as I'm concerned.

• Advertisement
Advertisement