Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Soccer Forum Premier League Era Draft Game Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Prime is premier league prime isn't it? Just be clear on that as someone will find people like cambiasso or shevshenko being world beaters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Prime is premier league prime isn't it? Just be clear on that as someone will find people like cambiasso or shevshenko being world beaters.

Premier League prime yeah. Ian Rush shouldn't be picked either as in the true spirit of the Premier League pre 1992 form doesn't count.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057351539

Picks thread. While the draft is ongoing voting rules for the matches can be decided.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

**** pick 15 :(

and 18 which is useful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Junior D

Looking forward to reading Andersonisgod's reasons why his team should win in the match threads!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

I've just added a note in the Picks Thread.

Basically, PM the next poster after you've made your pick.

Good idea, I already pm'd chrissybhoy so hopefully things can get going soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Junior D wrote: »
    Looking forward to reading Andersonisgod's reasons why his team should win in the match threads!

So am I, I'm entering this without a plan but once I start rolling a tactical reasoning will fall into place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Enjoy these. 24hrs is too long to make a pick though imo.

I have a question about how people are going to judge players, say player A plays in the league for 2 years and gets 25 or above goals both years but player B plays 8 years and gets 15-18 in most of those years. Who do you consider the better player?

I have a question about how people are going to judge players, say player A plays in the league for 2 years and gets 25 or above goals both years but player B plays 8 years and gets 15-18 in most of those years. Who do you consider the better player?

It will be subjective but for the sake of argument if you were to compare Suarez with Andy Cole it is obviously going to be Suarez rated higher. But say Andy Cole vs Diego Costa it will be Andy Cole as Diego Costa has not proven himself over a long enough period of time or achieved anything of note in the league. That would be my thinking anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,372 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I think this will be tough. If it was let's say La Liga would Falcao beat a Diego Forlan type?

A lot will come down to the make up of the teams too, Shearer will be better if he has good wingers etc.

Liam O wrote: »
    I think this will be tough. If it was let's say La Liga would Falcao beat a Diego Forlan type?

For me if I was judging a la Liga side then yes I'd vote Falcao over forlan. Both at their peak and I think Falcao is better.

• Advertisement

For me if I was judging a la Liga side then yes I'd vote Falcao over forlan. Both at their peak and I think Falcao is better.

Ah but Forlan was in the league for longer and probably had a far greater impact. The parameters right now are slightly conflicting imo.

Ah but Forlan was in the league for longer and probably had a far greater impact. The parameters right now are slightly conflicting imo.

I know what you're saying and this is my problem with it. I think it should just be people's opinion of who has the better side rather than who's side racked up the most years in the league

I know what you're saying and this is my problem with it. I think it should just be people's opinion of who has the better side rather than who's side racked up the most years in the league

Possibly. I'd almost say that you should give the season that your player is to be judged in that case? As a point of reference.

I agree but people should keep in mind for the likes of Courtois and Diego Costa that it requires more than an excellent half season in the league to prove them better than someone who has been good for a number of seasons. Regardless of what they have done previously too. 1 or 2 excellent seasons will still trump 3 or 4 good ones though.

Another option is that players selected must have played say 50 pl games and then just be judged on their peaks in the league?

Possibly. I'd almost say that you should give the season that your player is to be judged in that case? As a point of reference.

Yes I like this option a lot. Pick a player and put 03-04 season beside it for example.

Also just say that the cut off point is the 2013-2014 season so anything that's happened this season isn't included as it's only half a season.

• Advertisement

Would introducing the cut off alone be enough and then just go on about judging players at their peak like previous games? It mightn't be fair to introduce new rules when picks have been made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Enjoy these. 24hrs is too long to make a pick is too long though imo.

This would be my thought also. People know they are in the draft, they know in advance where they are on the list, and they also get a PM telling them its their pick, there should be no need to wait 24 hours for them to make a choice.

maybe but today shouldnt have anyone kicked out since the announcement of the draw itself was hsort enough. ASOT was online today, just before this stuff was done i think.

maybe but today shouldnt have anyone kicked out since the announcement of the draw itself was hsort enough. ASOT was online today, just before this stuff was done i think.

Wouldn't like to suggest anybody gets kicked out today, more of a general rule going forward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Lads if ye have the time put a picture and a small write up beside your picks.

Blatter wrote: »
    Lads if ye have the time put a picture and a small write up beside your picks.

Good idea too.

What should happen if ASOT fails to make his pick?

Good idea too.

What should happen if ASOT fails to make his pick?

IMO, go on without him.

if he then comes back here and says he's ready, he can pick when everyone else has made their 1st pick.

if he misses that pick, then it should really be moved to 1st reserve.

We'll go along with that unless anyone has any complaints. He until 18:16 to make his pick.

Good luck all, love reading these.

ASOT has picked.

I've put photos into the posts, as nobody has added photos yet. May they be a warning. If you don't put a photo in yourself, I may just do it for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

SlickRic wrote: »
    I may just do it for you.
    The horror!

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

Was away with no internet lads, back and all now so shouldn't be any hold ups from me again!

Nice pick there. Ronaldo should have been 2nd off the list after Henry

I can see the keepers going in a big lump once one gets picked

Yeah it usually happens that way. Once the top 1 or 2 go people look to get in as strong a keeper as possible

I can see the keepers going in a big lump once one gets picked

Unless I can get the obvious first choice I'll probably leave keeper till last. There have been a lot of very reliable keepers in the Premier league era, whomever I end up with certainly won't be a liability to the team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Nice pick there. Ronaldo should have been 2nd off the list after Henry

Especially as Torres would probably have been available in the third round!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

My board:

Roy Keane
    Undrafted
    Ronaldo
    Henry
    Scholes

Serious value to be had with the next pick imo.

You would have went Keane 1st pick?

• Advertisement

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    My board:

Roy Keane
    Undrafted
    Ronaldo
    Henry
    Scholes

Serious value to be had with the next pick imo.

Bet I know who the undrafted is! If he doesn't go next I'll be shocked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

You would have went Keane 1st pick?

Without question.

I had him 4th in my list but behind Ronaldo, Henry and Scholes. I even thought bad of drafting a central midfielder first given the strength in depth of the position.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Keane second surprising.

Torres third shocking.

Like the All-time greats draft thread a couple of years back it looks like probably the best player has somehow gone unpicked until the 4th round. Although maybe a bit of a toss up with Henry to be fair, I can see how he was picked 1st

Bet I know who the undrafted is! If he doesn't go next I'll be shocked.

There's one standout for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭DildoFaggins

I guess all the Top players will be picked by the time I get mine :(
    At least I get 2 picks in a row.:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

There was two rules from previous drafts I liked.

No discussing players here who haven't been picked, as it will give people ideas.

Also, if you know you won't be around you can pm your choices to someone who can post it on your behalf, keeps thing moving along quickly

Keane's ability on it's own doesnt put him up with the henry, cristiano etc. He was still a hugely talented player, propers box to box with passing range and defensive awareness, great engine also. The most important thing about him though is that he makes every other player on his team increase a bit in value due to the leadership he has.

Decent pick EE.

I was fascinated to see when he'd go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,978 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I thought the first three off the board would be Ronaldo, Henry and Suarez. I had to pick him there, just too good to leave on the board.

I sent a pm to sherlockwatson all one word, hope that's the right guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Junior D

Very surprised Torres and Suarez went that early. Think there were definitely better options at this stage

• Advertisement
Advertisement