Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Soccer Forum Premier League Era Draft Game Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Oh and Lloyd, Berbatov never played wing forward for United unless I'm horribly mistaken. I never remember him anywhere but right down the middle.

Still a very good pick at that stage, he was underwhelming but solid at United, majestic at Spurs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Milner is a solid enough pick at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Solid and unspectacular, classic Milner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

James Milner has more premier league assists than David Silva, Ronaldo, Nani, Walcott, Mata, Pires, and technically David Beckham, Scholes and Dennis Bergkamp (I think that might have to do with record keeping for the last 3 though).

Milner is more than a solid pick, he is somebody I came very close to taking in a number of rounds. The only reason I didn't is the perception people tend to have of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Blatter wrote: »
    Oh and Lloyd, Berbatov never played wing forward for United unless I'm horribly mistaken. I never remember him anywhere but right down the middle.

Still a very good pick at that stage, he was underwhelming but solid at United, majestic at Spurs.

Really? I don't pay a massive amount of attention to Utd lineups obv but I could have sworn I saw him out wide as part of a three from time to time...I'll bow to your more tuned in view though needless to say!!

If it's purely peak then every team becomes roughly equivalent. That's the problem.

There's little or no way to distinguish between:

Torres
    Henry
    Shearer
    Rooney
    Fowler

etc, etc

If we're purely going by their very best season. It just becomes a matter of preference then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

James Milner has more premier league assists than David Silva, Ronaldo, Nani, Walcott, Mata, Pires, and technically David Beckham, Scholes and Dennis Bergkamp (I think that might have to do with record keeping for the last 3 though).

Milner is more than a solid pick, he is somebody I came very close to taking in a number of rounds. The only reason I didn't is the perception people tend to have of him.

I think he's a very good pick myself but his assist record looks good compared to those because he has 400+ PL appearances to his name, more than double a lot of the names you mentioned. I'd agree that record keeping does affect the last 3 too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    If it's purely peak then every team becomes roughly equivalent. That's the problem.

There's little or no way to distinguish between:

Torres
    Henry
    Shearer
    Rooney
    Fowler

etc, etc

If we're purely going by their very best season. It just becomes a matter of preference then.

Yup, it's logically speaking a ridiculous notion that you simply take everyone at their peak and take barely anything else into consideration.

you simply have to take legacy, longevity, impact on the team etc into some sort of consideration. Peak performance can still be the main criteria, but other things simply have to be considered.

SlickRic wrote: »
    Yup, it's logically speaking a ridiculous notion that you simply take everyone at their peak and take barely anything else into consideration.

But that isn't what people are saying, nobody means that nothing else should be taken into consideration.

We are simply rebutting those who seem to think that the likes of a 33 year old Ruud Gullit still wouldn't be superb in this hypothetical game simply because he didn't play enough seasons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Great pick in Park. Was wondering who would pick him up.

Another striker I'd imagine will go soon.

Round 12 completed now, some good progress being made through the rounds now. Some excellent picks in that round, I'm resigned to an early exit with the way my team panned out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Round 12 completed now, some good progress being made through the rounds now. Some excellent picks in that round, I'm resigned to an early exit with the way my team panned out.

Me too :cool: So lets hope we draw each other and then at least one of us will get through :pac:

I'd like to reassure everybody that David Ginola's impending bid for the FIFA presidency will not impact upon his performance in the upcoming draft games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,372 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Is that really true? Nani and Walcott especially were feeding the ball to Rooney and RVP respectively during their hot streaks and I remember Mata had a ridiculous year one time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

• Advertisement

Liam O wrote: »
    Is that really true? Nani and Walcott especially were feeding the ball to Rooney and RVP respectively during their hot streaks and I remember Mata had a ridiculous year one time.

He had a ****load for Villa, especially the season he played centre midfield.

Bellamy a great pick.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Bellamy a great pick.

Really? I've always considered him a talented player that showed flashes of his ability but never really performed consistently in the PL. I know we are in the later rounds, but I'd call him a risky pick.

Was brilliant for City in 2009 / 10 imo

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Nani was a brilliant pick at this stage I'm surprised he took so long to go.

Yes he's been hit and miss, but this is predominantly peak performance and there was a season (was 11/12?) where he was arguably in the top 3 performers in the league, and in general he had a 2-3 year period where he was mostly excellent

• Advertisement

Morzadec wrote: »
    Nani was a brilliant pick at this stage I'm surprised he took so long to go.

Yes he's been hit and miss, but this is predominantly peak performance and there was a season (was 11/12?) where he was arguably in the top 3 performers in the league, and in general he had a 2-3 year period where he was mostly excellent

Nani is completely underrated, was hoping to snap him up myself. IMO he won a title for United and was robbed by Bale for player of the year, in 2011 I think? He's definitely a weapon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

The picks in the next two rounds are pretty meaningless as they are unlikely to make a significant difference to anyones team unless someone made a hash of things in the earlier rounds.

Also in general it is going to be a lower caliber player available at this late stage so even less likely to have a significant impact.

redzerdrog wrote: »
    The picks in the next two rounds are pretty meaningless as they are unlikely to make a significant difference to anyones team unless someone made a hash of things in the earlier rounds.

Also in general it is going to be a lower caliber player available at this late stage so even less likely to have a significant impact.

On the contrary, I think they are going to be very interesting. There are still a few hidden gems there, and the potential for changing formations to suit the opposition is very interesting in my opinion.

These picks might not cost you a match, but they could win you one.

On the contrary, I think they are going to be very interesting. There are still a few hidden gems there, and the potential for changing formations to suit the opposition is very interesting in my opinion.

These picks might not cost you a match, but they could win you one.

Meh, there's not a huge amount left on the board relative to what's already gone. Any teams that benefit from players at this stage are probably poorly constructed to begin with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

I got PM'd but I don't think it's my go.

Have PM'd Ferris Bueller.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Cabaye is a fantastic pick at this point

Valencia is gone I'm fairly sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Valencia is gone I'm fairly sure.
    I picked him earlier but I had received a pm in error saying it was my go, so I deleted him. I did a search and he doesn't show up so I think I'm ok.

Oh right I knew I seen him there already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,978 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Sorry about the hold up lads. I was at work with no internet access all day.

Anyways picked up another legend and pm sent. I have some selection posers now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Just looking through the keepers drafted and there seems to be one keeper who i'm a bit surprised hasn't been snapped up yet...

Is there many more picks until the draft concludes

I can't even remember if Chris Waddle was any good in the PL era but he makes for good youtube highlights

I can't remember too many players making such a fool of Giggs who has always been hugely underrated defensively.

Rushden is up now, Chrissybhoy can make his pick whenever he is online.

SherlockWatson is happy enough with the 12 players he has and needs no more so whenever Rushden makes his pick he has two available (pick 15 in round 13 and pick 2 in round 14) then it will be with Chrissybhoy again. The thing has hit a bit of a bottleneck at the moment.

Moving on to Redzerdrog now, Chrissybhoy can make his picks whenever he is online again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭Rushden

Really starting to lose interest in this now that it's been dragging out for so long

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

In hindsight the subs were probably a bad idea, it has stalled terribly over the last few days.

We moved along at a great pace through eleven rounds or maybe even twelve. Its sad that people can't just continue on with the same effort for another couple of rounds. Its just pure laziness on the part of some of those involved.

There is no good reason that this should have stalled like it has.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

You'll get some teamwork from those two on the bench Chrissy :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Chrissybhoy

Great passion from those. I see it as will to win

Martin Laursen should have went rounds ago, I regretted picking Agger ahead of him but did so just for Agger's left footedness.

My squad in the end:
    De Gea

Gary Kelly, McGrath, Kompany, Agger, Kolarov

Gravesen, Fernandinho, Scholes, Poyet, Robben, Waddle, Joe Cole

Les Ferdinand

I'm not expecting much from them.

The subs are meaningless, that's the problem.

It will be the later rounds that will make the real difference between the teams I reckon. Are we going 14 player squads or 11 player teams. I like the idea of squads as it will make the matches a little more unpredictable.
    1 more thing, is everyone ok with 14 man squads to allow for tactical variation?
    Not a bad idea if Junior D didn't mind, are we going for 14 man squads?
    Love Van Nistelrooy

14 man squads is fine with me

I did ask early on in the competition and that was the only response I got.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

It was the weekend lads. People like to think they have 'lives'.

Only 6 picks left now too, so the games will be starting very soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Is Alex song not gone already?

Yeah Ferris Bueller has him. I PM'd AIG already so hopefully he sees it.

Pick made and I've got selection posers now.

VDS

Carr Dunne/Henchoz/Hyypia Azpilicueta

Schneiderlin/Hamann/Tugay

Hazard/Cahill/Bale

Hughes/Suarez

Final team:

Friedel

Arbeloa----Terry (C)---Walker
    Pearce

Mascherano

Ince