Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Soccer Forum Premier League Era Draft Game Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Lloyd will be very hard to beat IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Sure I may aswell

Martyn
    Jones
    Carragher
    Vermalean
    Cole

Keane(C)
    Arteta
    Kuyt
    Le Tissier
    Tevez

Wright

Subs- Ramires, Viduka, Solano

Or

Martyn
    Jones
    Carragher
    Vermalean
    Cole

Ramirez
    Keane(C)
    Arteta

Tevez
    Le tiss

Wright

4-4-2 Diamond is also an option

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

keane2097 wrote: »
    Lloyd will be very hard to beat IMO.

i don't mind saying that I tend to agree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Happy with the different options in my team, could pick a few variations on formation. Depends who we are playing I guess!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Hart

-Coleman---Cahill----Vidic----Riise-

Ballack----Barry
    Ljungberg
    Giggs

Yorke
    Owen

or

Hart

-Coleman---Cahill----Vidic----Riise-

Song----Barry
    Ljungberg
    Ballack
    Giggs

Owen

Team could have been better but could have been worse I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Chrissybhoy

My squad

1. Cech
    2. Zabaleta
    3. P. Neville
    4. Melberg
    5. Lebouef
    6. Parker
    7. Beckham
    8. Cabaye
    9. Henry
    10. MaCallister
    11. Speed

12. Quinn
    13. Dyer
    14. Bowyer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Ashley Young, Lucas, Duncan Ferguson, Stewart Downing and Raheem Sterling are amongst some of the players that I expected to have been selected at some stage or another.

Do people want to sort out how the matches work out and get a draw made now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,302 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Just been observing, looking forward to seeing the match ups.

Out of Interest how are the subs going to work. I see some saying it depends on opposition for formations/selections,but why could the other team not change theirs then?

Just been observing, looking forward to seeing the match ups.

Out of Interest how are the subs going to work. I see some saying it depends on opposition for formations/selections,but why could the other team not change theirs then?

I'd propose that the two line ups are sent to a neutral party before the match thread is opened so that there will be an element of guesswork into what team the opponent will line up with. Also to help ensure fairness as the team who posts second would have an advantage otherwise.
    Of course the stronger teams won't have to worry too much.

Subs were probably a bad idea in hindsight.

Hleb is another who I thought might have been picked. I wanted to pick Ivan Campo but he probably wasn't good enough.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Hleb is another who I thought might have been picked. I wanted to pick Ivan Campo but he probably wasn't good enough.

I don't think Flamini was picked either. Thought he was better than a few CMs picked, very good during his first spell at Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,372 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I'd propose that the two line ups are sent to a neutral party before the match thread is opened so that there will be an element of guesswork into what team the opponent will line up with. Also to help ensure fairness as the team who posts second would have an advantage otherwise.
    Of course the stronger teams won't have to worry too much.

Subs were probably a bad idea in hindsight.

We can still change how subs would be used. After the two teams have been posted presumably you can say that you have a bench that could make a difference and that you'd make such and such subs to prevent it, though that could become contrived I guess.

Liam O wrote: »
    We can still change how subs would be used. After the two teams have been posted presumably you can say that you have a bench that could make a difference and that you'd make such and such subs to prevent it, though that could become contrived I guess.

I think that sort of stipulation needs to be made clear before the picks, not after. Lots of people would have picked differently otherwise.

Blatter wrote: »
    I don't think Flamini was picked either. Thought he was better than a few CMs picked, very good during his first spell at Arsenal.

I forgot about him entirely, would have suited my team well as a worker beside Scholes. Better than Gravesen and Fernandinho anyway.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I also dont think Matic was picked.

Only played 5 months of the 2013/14 season but was pretty good for us during that time.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    I also dont think Matic was picked.

Only played 5 months of the 2013/14 season but was pretty good for us during that time.

Was thinking of him, as I'm sure others were but I don't think he'd have been well received at all with only 17 games to judge him on. There'd be clear gaming going on with that pick!

He was considered but 5 months was too short a time frame. Henrik Larsson the same.

I always assumed the subs were to allow tactical choices when picking your 11 for the match, and made picks with that in mind. So you pick 11 players from your 14 available.

There seems little point in going down the road of proposing hypotheticals wherein you will be bringing on subs mid-game. Sure, give a nod to the subs and the potential there, but the main focus on the 11 picked.

Will I ask a mod/neutral party to do a random draw for the round of 16 now and have that much sorted?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

I havent fully looked through the thread but was Kevin Phillips picked?

Nope but Niall Quinn was. That being said Niall Quinn and Henry might have been a better partnership.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Will I ask a mod/neutral party to do a random draw for the round of 16 now and have that much sorted?

I'd do it.

And promise not to pick favourable draws for the Arsenal-centric teams ;)

I'd do it.

And promise not to pick favourable draws for the Arsenal-centric teams ;)

Fair play.
    There is the list with the right spellings this time and Pudsy33 replacing DildoFaggins.

ASOT
    Rushden
    Bucketybuck
    Chrissybhoy
    Blatter
    Andersonisgod
    LuckyLloyd
    Ferris Bueller
    Pudsy33
    Eagle Eye
    Frankie Lee
    Liam O
    Redzerdrog
    Slickric
    Incognito Man
    SherlockWatson

I'm not sure which site to use but there are loads available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Using: http://www.randomresult.com/tournament.php

m5FVXI7.png

So:

SlickRic vs bucketybuck
    Ferris Bueller vs Frankie Lee
    Incognito Man vs Blatter
    ASOT vs Pudsy33
    Rushden vs Redzerdrog
    Liam O vs SherlockWatson
    Chrissybhoy vs Andersonisgod
    LuckyLloyd vs Eagle Eye

Dummy draw (Seq 1): http://i.imgur.com/qrQ26cK.png

Go :pac:

Nope but Niall Quinn was. That being said Niall Quinn and Henry might have been a better partnership.

Very suprised he wasnt picked. At his peak he was an outstanding striker.

Never playing for a top 4 club probably counted against him.

• Advertisement

shano_88 wrote: »
    Very suprised he wasnt picked. At his peak he was an outstanding striker.

Never playing for a top 4 club probably counted against him.

was shocked him and viduka werent picked in normal rounds. There is a few teams that could have done with either striker. Berbatov aswell went in the subs rounds!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Edin Dzeko would have been a great pick IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Balls :(

mark wright and ugo ehiugo

jan vertonghan aswell

The problem with the likes of Dzeko and Philips is that they are too easy to mark down. I see Dzeko up front and I see a player that could never even nail down a first team spot never mind be a PL legend, its the type of thing that costs you votes. I'd pick Crouch before Dzeko.

Theres plenty of good players that could have been picked, Staunton, Rob Lee, Dennis Wise, Steve Bould, John Collins, Collymore, Vialli, but apart from a few exceptions, by and large I think they weren't really any better than those picked.

• Advertisement

Phillips scored 30 league goals with Sunderland. Was an amazing achievement really. Should definitely have been picked somewhere imo.

I'm happy with Les Ferdinand who scored more consistently and had a far better all round game than Phillips.
    I probably could have done with a second striker but by the time I had Chris Waddle selected I started panicking about my centre midfield options. I tossed a coin between Gravesen and Petrov while forgetting about players like Lucas and Flamini. I've messed up I know.

shano_88 wrote: »
    Phillips scored 30 league goals with Sunderland. Was an amazing achievement really. Should definitely have been picked somewhere imo.

shiiiiiiiit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Im surprised Johnathan Woodgate wasn't pick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Im surprised Johnathan Woodgate wasn't pick.

Pretty sure he was

Ashley Young, Lucas, Duncan Ferguson, Stewart Downing and Raheem Sterling are amongst some of the players that I expected to have been selected at some stage or another.

Do people want to sort out how the matches work out and get a draw made now?

I picked Ashley Young as my last sub! I made a list of roughly 16ish players for each position on the pitch before the draft started and by the end of it (including subs) pretty much every single player was picked. I thought Phillips would get picked, the next player after that who I thought would be selected was Joleon Lescott but realistically he isn't much or any better than most of the players who did get picked. Some others who didn't make the cut for example were Chimbonda, Sterling, Verthonghen, Bould, Coloccini, Benayoun, Luis Garcia.

Who do people think were some of the best/worst selections of the draft? For me Laurent Robert was the standout poor pick, surprised he made it into the draft at all never mind into someones first eleven. David Luiz, Danny Murphy and Owen Hargreaves were three dodgy ones for me too considering how early they went. Klinsmann is a risky pick for me also, undoubtedly good enough for a draft such as this but the fact that he only played one season in the league has to count against him surely. Tevez was a great pick by redzerdog considering when he was picked, as were Kolo Toure and Michael Carrick.

It will be interesting to see if there will be a bias towards older players or newer players, but overall I would imagine it will even itself out more or less. Fair play to everyone for sticking it out and best of luck!

I picked Ashley Young as my last sub! I made a list of roughly 16ish players for each position on the pitch before the draft started and by the end of it (including subs) pretty much every single player was picked. I thought Phillips would get picked, the next player after that who I thought would be selected was Joleon Lescott but realistically he isn't much or any better than most of the players who did get picked. Some others who didn't make the cut for example were Chimbonda, Sterling, Verthonghen, Bould, Coloccini, Benayoun, Luis Garcia.

Who do people think were some of the best/worst selections of the draft? For me Laurent Robert was the standout poor pick, surprised he made it into the draft at all never mind into someones first eleven. David Luiz, Danny Murphy and Owen Hargreaves were three dodgy ones for me too considering how early they went. Klinsmann is a risky pick for me also, undoubtedly good enough for a draft such as this but the fact that he only played one season in the league has to count against him surely. Tevez was a great pick by redzerdog considering when he was picked, as were Kolo Toure and Michael Carrick.

It will be interesting to see if there will be a bias towards older players or newer players, but overall I would imagine it will even itself out more or less. Fair play to everyone for sticking it out and best of luck!

Robert was a poor pick, wilshere Another dodgy one but Jamie carragher for me was the worst pick, people will see him and just see a massive weakness.

Jamie carragher was never the worst pick. Thats insane to suggest to be honest. Unless you're worried people will vote against him because they dislike him but that's people being idiots rather than a poor choice from the guy who picked him

Jamie carragher was never the worst pick. Thats insane to suggest to be honest. Unless you're worried people will vote against him because they dislike him but that's people being idiots rather than a poor choice from the guy who picked him

Not the worst player but suicide in game like this where public opinion plays such a big part, it's like bringing a goat to a cattle market.

Not the worst player but suicide in game like this where public opinion plays such a big part, it's like bringing a goat to a cattle market.

I know it's a matter of opinion at the end of the day but that's outrageous, I can't think of a better defender who was picked after him and I'd even rate him ahead of a few who were picked before him.

• Advertisement

Ah you can't be avoiding players because of a few fools.

I'm fairly sure most of the people who will vote will have had some interest in the draft all the way from the picks to the match ups. They'll know what they should be judging players on

I'm fairy sure most of the people who will vote will have had some interest in the draft all the way from the picks to the match ups. They'll know what they should be judging players on

Fair enough I'm not sure the type of voters I just imagined a lot of people open the thread and vote for the team they think looks best.

Another player I was surprised not to see was nakata.

Clint Dempsey is another that would've been a worthy pick.

I'm fairly sure most of the people who will vote will have had some interest in the draft all the way from the picks to the match ups. They'll know what they should be judging players on

I don't know, I think there's some(admittedly very few) on the forum who will vote purely based on who's team it is. There are some very petty people in here from some of the stories that you hear...

Klinsmann had two seasons in the Premier league. In fact Jurgen Klinsmann has more Premier league games than Gabriel Heinze, is Heinze going to be marked down on that?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Robert was a poor pick, wilshere Another dodgy one but Jamie carragher for me was the worst pick, people will see him and just see a massive weakness.

Carragher was definitely amongst Europe's top 10 Centre-backs for 2-3 seasons, with a very strong argument for him being in the top 5. Remember this is peak performance

He was the centre-piece, motivator and leader in the defence on a team that probably relied first and foremost on having a very solid defence during a period when Liverpool were one of the top 5 teams in Europe.

Ludicrous to call him a weakness imo.

Also since when is Carra dislikable? Sure people like to have a laugh at his accent and maybe some United fans don't like him, though I'm sure that's more or less faded now that he's retired the same way it has with Neville.

Always imagined Carra was generally respected and well-liked by most

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

but Jamie carragher for me was the worst pick, people will see him and just see a massive weakness.
    Fair enough I'm not sure the type of voters I just imagined a lot of people open the thread and vote for the team they think looks best.

Two things:

- anyone seeing a 'massive weakness' with Carragher have an, eh, interesting opinion;
    - anyone voting on the basis of poster / club likes or allegiance are a bit sad;

Anyway, looking forward to the next phase of this thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I was surprised Alexis Sanchez wasn't picked. Was the draft speicifically for players before this season only?
    I think even in his 4-5months he has made a huge impact.

Draft is only until the end of the 2013-2014 season. So anything from the current season is not included so Sanchez, Di Maria, Falcao all not eligible

• Advertisement

Klinsmann had two seasons in the Premier league. In fact Jurgen Klinsmann has more Premier league games than Gabriel Heinze, is Heinze going to be marked down on that?

Well a season and a half really. To be honest I hadn't realised Heinze had played so few games, he was at United for three full years and was injured a lot for the one in the middle, whereas Klinsmann was at Spurs for a year and then came back on loan for a while a year or two later. But yes I would mark Heinze down on that also.

Advertisement