Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Soccer Forum Premier League Era Draft Game Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Those who don't like Wilshere, it's why I chucked Ramsey in as an alternative.

i honestly don't get the hate, but if that's the perception, so be it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

SlickRic wrote: »
    Those who don't like Wilshere, it's why I chucked Ramsey in as an alternative.

i honestly don't get the hate, but if that's the perception, so be it.

He is nowhere near as good as he was before injuries got the better of him but he was exceptionally good back then which makes him a very good pick. That is the risk with players who are still playing but have declined. I'm sure when people think of Joe Cole his form of recent years can cloud their judgement.

He is nowhere near as good as he was before injuries got the better of him but he was exceptionally good back then which makes him a very good pick. That is the risk with players who are still playing but have declined. I'm sure when people think of Joe Cole his form of recent years can cloud their judgement.

a completely fair assessment IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Wilshere's breakthrough season (10/11) with Arsenal was very good. He didn't look out of place against Xavi, Iniesta etc. in the CL that year when Arsenal played Barca. He really did look like a superstar in the making but being out injured for the entirety of the next season and missy many more months after that has really fecked him up.

I always assumed the subs were to allow tactical choices when picking your 11 for the match, and made picks with that in mind. So you pick 11 players from your 14 available.

There seems little point in going down the road of proposing hypotheticals wherein you will be bringing on subs mid-game. Sure, give a nod to the subs and the potential there, but the main focus on the 11 picked.

Are we agreed that this is the way to go? I'd go against the giving a nod to the subs, instead 11 players are picked from the 14 and it is 11v11 then. No confusion.

Other considerations:
    How many games per day will be played?
    11 players to be submitted to a neutral before thread is opened?
    Voting, previous drafts only counted votes with in thread reasoning with public polls to be used as a tie breaker?

Any other suggestions? Time to get this moving now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,372 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Are we agreed that this is the way to go? I'd go against the giving a nod to the subs, instead 11 players are picked from the 14 and it is 11v11 then. No confusion.

Other considerations:
    How many games per day will be played?
    Voting, previous drafts only counted votes with in thread reasoning with public polls to be used as a tie breaker?

Any other suggestions? Time to get this moving now.
    I'd say 2 games per day but they stay up for 2 days might be the way to go, maybe ask the mods first though.

I think sending the 11 to a neutral is a good way to go.

Voting should be kept a close eye on too, if the same people are voting with stupid reasoning in multiple matches they should be stopped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

We can send the 11 to a neutral, but I assume the two managers will still get the first two posts to explain their tactics and put their case forward?

We can send the 11 to a neutral, but I assume the two managers will still get the first two posts to explain their tactics and put their case forward?

Yeah that is what I intended anyway. The person who posts second may still have a tiny advantage in terms of team shape but that may be countered by the team who posts first having a chance to make a good first impression.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

I can do the neutral again.

As you can tell, I wanted to be in this game :(:pac:

With the length of time this is taking perhaps we shouldn't complicate things. Just have somebody/a mod post up the matchups, the two managers post their teams and then people have a day to vote. Maybe there will be a slight advantage to posting second, but people will still be voting mainly on the players.

I also vote for time limits for the two managers to post their teams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,978 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

With the length of time this is taking perhaps we shouldn't complicate things. Just have somebody/a mod post up the matchups, the two managers post their teams and then people have a day to vote. Maybe there will be a slight advantage to posting second, but people will still be voting mainly on the players.

I also vote for time limits for the two managers to post their teams.
    I think that a neutal posting the two teams is much fairer and its not going to slow things up.

Lets just get it started though, like let's have the first two up tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Are we getting this underway or what?

First two games should start tonight if that is ok with Slickric, Bucketybuck and Ferris Bueller.

I recommend sending 11 players to be used to Skylinehead, then posting in this thread that you have done so. When both players have sent their teams to Skylinehead, then the game thread is opened by someone and the competitors post their teams this11.com along with a description of tactics and gameplan. Skylinehead does not have to do anything apart from confirm that the 11s match.

Voting is done in thread then with the poll a tiebreaker.

Any suggestions on time limits?

Do we have to go in the sequence of the draw to get the games done? If there are people online and ready to get their game played, should they be allowed go ahead?

Do we have to go in the sequence of the draw to get the games done? If there are people online and ready to get their game played, should they be allowed go ahead?

Yes.

I'm not at a computer for the weekend, so it's hard for me to do anything.

I encourage any other games to start though.

My 11 has been sent to Skylinehead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Same. Do I need to include a write up or any tactics? Won't really be at a computer tomorrow but can either do a write up tonight or around 5pm tomorrow.

Draw up your team on this11.com link the picture and a quick write up will do. If you need to go to sleep now or are busy we can leave it until tomorrow evening but we can do it now either.

Games lasting 24hours from when the second player posts ok with everyone?

No time like the present! Not sure if you wanted me to post it on this thread but someone can copy and paste it into another match thread if needs be.

abIoYh1ap2.png

Tactics:

Was sort of guessing what team Frankie will play but since he has already PM'd that onto Skylinehead he can't change it. What stands out about his team is that he has the strongest centre half pairing in the tournament (McGrath & Kompany) so therefore I'm making it my aim to exploit him down the wings where he is relatively weak in Gary Kelly and Alexander Kolarov. I believe I have the best wingers in the tournament in Giggs and Ljungberg and they should cause big problems to his full backs and make Kompany/McGrath push wide leaving gaps for Michael Owens pace. Neither of us have the strongest midfield, so I've gone for 3 in the middle, Song to provide a lot of energy and his primary job will be keeping tabs on Scholes and closing him down at every opportunity, while Ballack will provide more steel and creativity from the middle and also a goal threat. I'm not too worried about Fernandinho who has played very few PL games and Gravesen (although doubt he will play) who had a short peak. Barry will be the anchor allowing my two full backs to attack and support my wingers as I really think Kelly & Kolarov will struggle with Giggs/Riise on the left and Ljungberg/Coleman on the right.

Defensively Vidic and Cahill should be very solid, both defenders are good in the air which will be one of Ferdinands main threats, while Barry and also Song should be able to provide a good shield in front of the back four when my team is on the back foot.

Overall I think my team has plenty of experience, with over 25 Premier league titles between them all and 5 Champions League titles too, Michael Owen may struggle to lead the line but his blistering pace will cause problems for any defender in this draft, particularly if Kompany and McGrath are having to help deal with my wingers. In their prime both Giggs and Ljungberg chipped in with their fare share of goals and my defenders all have decent goalscoring records for defenders, with Vidic and Cahill being dangerous from set pieces (also Riise with his powerful free kicks). My team is physically strong through the middle and can also play the ball around, they have a lot of pace down the wings and up front which should stretch Frankies defence quite a bit.

Probably left a few things out but just want to get this started, over to you Frankie, best of luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

looking forward to these getting under way.

solid team ferris with some good strengths and a couple of weaknesses (like every team will have) looking forward to seeing how frankies team matches up

• Advertisement

Wont comment on the other thread but yeah, pretty good team, if it was a younger Ballack I'd say it would be better to have him right behind Owen, even the Chelsea version I'd probably have had him there. Owen just looks too isolated there especially as Giggs and less so Ljungberg wouldn't be the best at being able to cut in, with Riise and Coleman I'd probably prefer some more two footed wingers with someone like Owen and more of a playmaker behind them.

These are fairly trifling matters however and not having seen how Frankie will line up you have a very strong team and a pretty good shot at the win.

I think it is fair to say that they are two well matched teams, I did want to play Waddle in a free role but knew if you were to play 3 in midfield he would be a weakness. Fernandinho was a dodgy one too especially after having his worst game in his City career at the weekend against Arsenal. Of the 5 games he missed last season they drew 0-0 with Stoke, lost 1-0 to Sunderland, lost 1-0 to Chelsea, drew 0-0 with Norwich but beat Cardiff 4-2. He made them tick.

How good Les Ferdinand was in the early premier league days:

I agree that both teams are well matched. It should be a tight contest anyway. Liam O, I think you have gotten the centre backs mixed up, I have Vidic and Cahill and Frankie has Kompany and McGrath, not the other way around! I'm not sure if that will change your vote. I am a big fan of Fernandinho but I think the fact he has only played one season/so little games in the league will count against him, have said the same about players such as Klinsmann, Heinze and Hargreaves earlier in the thread. I would have liked to play Yorke up front with Owen but that would have left my midfield exposed and Frankies CB's are so strong that I'm not sure it would have made much of a difference.

I agree that both teams are well matched. It should be a tight contest anyway. Liam O, I think you have gotten the centre backs mixed up, I have Vidic and Cahill and Frankie has Kompany and McGrath, not the other way around! I'm not sure if that will change your vote. I am a big fan of Fernandinho but I think the fact he has only played one season/so little games in the league will count against him, have said the same about players such as Klinsmann, Heinze and Hargreaves earlier in the thread. I would have liked to play Yorke up front with Owen but that would have left my midfield exposed and Frankies CB's are so strong that I'm not sure it would have made much of a difference.

whoops, will edit now, though looking at them I think you have a better set up in front of them.

Anyone else ready to get their games started or it they have their starting 11's decided should send them on to Skylinehead, ideally there should be 2 games running at any one time.

Anyone else ready to get their games started or it they have their starting 11's decided should send them on to Skylinehead, ideally there should be 2 games running at any one time.

I'm around till about 7pm.

If sherlock has sent his stuff to someone already i'm ready to go.

I'm around till about 7pm.

Unfortunately Slickric won't be at a computer for the weekend but there is no harm sending your 11 to Skylinehead and having a very good write up ready. Your game against him is probably the tie of the round in terms of quality so the write up is important.

There something I'd like to ask as well, namely that people actually make a choice and vote!

I noticed it a lot in the Legends draft, numerous people said that teams were too evenly matched and so they couldn't choose between them. Which is rubbish to my mind, even if teams are evenly matched you can still make a decision on various factors and actually make a choice! :D

• Advertisement

Unfortunately Slickric won't be at a computer for the weekend but there is no harm sending your 11 to Skylinehead and having a very good write up ready. Your game against him is probably the tie of the round in terms of quality so the write up is important.

I've sent my 11 already, but if slickric isn't around thats fair enough.

Question: what am I supposed to do with these teams? Yourself and Ferris posted yours yourselves, am I just there for verification :p

I did indeed receive bucketys team.

Question: what am I supposed to do with these teams? Yourself and Ferris posted yours yourselves, am I just there for verification :p

I did indeed receive bucketys team.

If you don't mind receiving the PM's then yeah verification. Sorry I couldn't find a better role for you.

If you don't mind receiving the PM's then yeah verification. Sorry I couldn't find a better role for you.

I'm not actually looking for more, just wondering if I'm supposed to be doing something that I'm currently not!

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Chrissybhoy

Lads I use my phone and I can't get my team done on this11.com so I'll just so il just do it up on boards and pm it that ok

Yeah no bother.

• Advertisement

I'm not actually looking for more, just wondering if I'm supposed to be doing something that I'm currently not!

Has anyone sent you a team yet who has not mentioned it in this thread?

Lads I use my phone and I can't get my team done on this11.com so I'll just so il just do it up on boards and pm it that ok

Andersonisgod will be only able to get his team and write up finalised tomorrow so hopefully that can start then.

That's fine

Has anyone sent you a team yet who has not mentioned it in this thread?

Just yourself, Ferris and buckety. I'll relay them as I get PMs.

A reminder of the matches

SlickRic vs bucketybuck
    Ferris Bueller vs Frankie Lee - in progress
    Incognito Man vs Blatter
    ASOT vs Pudsy33
    Rushden vs Redzerdrog
    Liam O vs SherlockWatson
    Chrissybhoy vs Andersonisgod
    LuckyLloyd vs Eagle Eye

They are to be played in a first come first served manned so whenever two players are available they should get going.

• Advertisement

Skyline head has my team and write up

team and write up sent to skyline and frankie.

We really need to get this moving lads. There should be 3 other matches up by now

SlickRic vs bucketybuck
    Ferris Bueller vs Frankie Lee - in progress [DONE]
    Incognito Man vs Blatter
    ASOT vs Pudsy33
    Rushden vs Redzerdrog
    Liam O vs SherlockWatson
    Chrissybhoy vs Andersonisgod
    LuckyLloyd vs Eagle Eye

This is what I have so far.

I think Frankie (as the organiser) should start a thread for the next match and then Pm the two guys to send there teams to skyline for verification. Put a time limit on similar to the picks. It just seem like people are waiting until they are told they are up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

I'm gonna do mine now, I'm not sure though how you get those nice team lineup graphics on Boards that they've used on the Frankie Lee vs Ferris Bueller match.

I'm gonna do mine now, I'm not sure though how you get those nice team lineup graphics on Boards that they've used on the Frankie Lee vs Ferris Bueller match.

This11.com and link the image from there.

Is Skyline just verifying the 11s or do you have to send him your writeup too?

Just verifying but there is no harm to send in a write up in the event of not being online to post your team.

If you're not around, best to send the writeups so I can post them. I'll do them for Chrissyboy now, as he might understandably not be around. I have AIGs too, but he's online so I'll let him post his.

Hard to decide how this one will go, AIG has done a great job in the end with his team, during the drafting process he made some questionable decisions but he has a very good team at the end of it. Chrissybhoy has a very functional team in the end with the brilliance of Henry being a massive boost. I'll have to think a good while on it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement