Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Soccer Forum Premier League Era Draft Game Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

t an insult no, but looking t some of the players picked ahead of him....

Bergkamp and Shearer is an insane partnership.

And blatter picking a keeper early too, very astute, one of my favourites for this competition.

Ron third pick, crazy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Benimar wrote: »
    Making a comment that I was amazed one player wasn't picked isn't 'harping on'...and I never said it was an insult either! The player in question (Bergkamp) would have a strong argument to be in an all time Premier League XI so, yes, I'd expect him to go before a number of players taken before him.

It worked well for Blatter. Shearer and Bergkamp, now that's a front line id take any day.

I dont mean you specifically, just with a lot of picks someone is saying they should have gone earlier and cant believe they've lasted so long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,372 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I picked late in the first round and I'm against special rounds. We're doing a Shane draft with redraws. Let the chips fall where they may. The challenge as always is identifying good value and fit in later rounds.
    I'd take you identifying anyone at this stage tbh :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Blatter got himself a bargain there with Bergkamp, such a classy player.

I'm sure many out there would actually put Bergkamp and Shearer as the best two strikers of the EPL era so to get both is quite something.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Also Bucketybuck got some good value with Stam there who is probably up there with all the great CBs just behind Terry who is the best I would say.

He also has Ronaldo which is a weapon that will be very difficult for anyone to contend with. I seem to remember Buckety putting a very good team together for the All-time Great's draft, so I would say he and Blatter would be my early favourites (though it's still far too soon to say of course)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Bergkamp is a serious pick, couldn't believe he lasted this long. The only thing against him was that if anyone was picking him as their main striker he wasn't the most prolific goalscorer at Arsenal, however Blatter has nailed it getting him to play alongside Shearer, lethal front line he has there. It does seem like this draft is going particularly slow, was the previous draft this drawn out? I haven't even got three players in my team yet despite it going on for about a week. Maybe it will speed up a bit when everyone is back to work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Bergkamp is a serious pick, couldn't believe he lasted this long. The only thing against him was that if anyone was picking him as their main striker he wasn't the most prolific goalscorer at Arsenal, however Blatter has nailed it getting him to play alongside Shearer, lethal front line he has there. It does seem like this draft is going particularly slow, was the previous draft this drawn out? I haven't even got three players in my team yet despite it going on for about a week. Maybe it will speed up a bit when everyone is back to work.

I was very close to picking Bergkamp, but to be honest there are still a few other strikers that I will be happy to take when the time comes, he wasn't going to be vital to my team so I went elsewhere. I appreciate how good he was, but there are others I will be more disappointed about missing out on.

Have to agree about the pace at the minute, far far too slow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭Rushden

Was going to pick bergkamp too but with my next pick being a long time away felt I needed to get a top defender in. The draft really is dragging on at this stage, problem is fifteen people could pick really quickly but it just takes one person to really hold it up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Same as I had a choice to pick between him and rvp for my first round striker and went with rvp as he's a better goalscorer for a first pick, was full sure he'd go within a few picks after me.

The problem now with the Shearer and Bergkamp strike partnership is it needs to be surrounded by more pace as I think if you don't that's where people with pick holes in the match up. Brilliant duo to have though

• Advertisement

Right lads I'm off all week with illness if people want to pm me their picks I can post it once it comes to their choice, send on any criteria if applicable.

Also the timeline for picks should be reduced imho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

SlickRic wrote: »
    Lloyd..you do know you're up?

No PM received

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Same as I had a choice to pick between him and rvp for my first round striker and went with rvp as he's a better goalscorer for a first pick, was full sure he'd go within a few picks after me.

The problem now with the Shearer and Bergkamp strike partnership is it needs to be surrounded by more pace as I think if you don't that's where people with pick holes in the match up. Brilliant duo to have though

Shearer was actually fairly quick before injuries took their toll. A few quick wingers wouldn't go amiss though.

If I had Shearer, the player I would most want with him wouldn't be Bergkamp, it would be David Beckham.

If I had Shearer, the player I would most want with him wouldn't be Bergkamp, it would be David Beckham.

becks was gone though

becks was gone though

Yeah, just hypothetically speaking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Yeah, just hypothetically speaking.

Hypothetically speaking, I'm devastated Yaya Toure has already been picked.

Oranage2 wrote: »
    And blatter picking a keeper early too, very astute, one of my favourites for this competition.

Ron third pick, crazy.

Think ronaldo should have gone earlier? tbh I can understand people picking keane early, he improves everyone else on his team, best leader the PL ever had and did it from CM which is important too I think as they are easily able to communicate with the entire team.

Up next is DildoFaggins, PM'd him there. I think the strikers are going to dry out soon, felt lucky to get Michael Owen because if I didn't get him there were probably only one or two others before a decent drop off in quality. When I saw Bergkamp and Fowler picked before LuckyLloyd I was convinced he would go for a striker, but luckily a lot of Liverpool fans seem to have something against Michael Owen!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Up next is DildoFaggins, PM'd him there. I think the strikers are going to dry out soon, felt lucky to get Michael Owen because if I didn't get him there were probably only one or two others before a decent drop off in quality. When I saw Bergkamp and Fowler picked before LuckyLloyd I was convinced he would go for a striker, but luckily a lot of Liverpool fans seem to have something against Michael Owen!

he has van Nistelrooy, so may not need him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

I think you're better off going with 1 striker in these.

• Advertisement

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    I think you're better off going with 1 striker in these.

Using a 10 is fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I have Van Nisteelroy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Think ronaldo should have gone earlier? tbh I can derstand people picking keane early, he improves everyone se on his team, best leader the PL ever had and did it from CM which is important too I think as they are easily able to communicate with the entire team.

Yeah I would have had Ronaldo as the first pick, Henry second, shearer third.

Roy world class player and he'll get bonus points this being an Irish website, but he'll play as a midfield general or dm in this, and I can think of 8 other players that can play that position, maybe not as good as keane but close.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Yeah I would have had Ronaldo as the first pick, Henry second, shearer third.

Roy world class player and he'll get bonus points this being an Irish website, but he'll play as a midfield general or dm in this, and I can think of 8 other players that can play that position, maybe not as good as keane but close.

There us inly ine pkayer un the draft that comes aoywhere close to keane as a central mudfielder that can do it all and that is Viera

The next 2 players on my list go the 2 picks after me :(

It's me now isn't it?

You can't pass up Pirés at this stage.

It looks like I've got a mini arsenal side developing for myself, I'm not even an arsenal fan

Pires was a great pick, I would say he was the best available player left by the time he was picked, probably should have gone long ago too.

Pires was a great pick, I would say he was the best available player left by the time he was picked, probably should have gone long ago too.

Instead of how many players?

• Advertisement

Vidic is already gone...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭DildoFaggins

Tbh I would have had Pires ahead of some of the other wingers not named Ronaldo.

Tbh I would have had Pires ahead of some of the other wingers not named Ronaldo.

And I'd have another winger or 2 ahead of pires tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭DildoFaggins

And I'd have another winger or 2 ahead of pires tbh

Shhhhhh ;)

Edit: Forgot about Giggsy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

After Round 3
    Chrissybhoy - Henry, Beckham, Cech
    Redzerdrog - Keane, Ashley Cole, Ian Wright
    ASOT - Torres, Zola, Sol Campbell
    Bucketybuck - Ronaldo, Stam, Irwin
    Frankie Lee - Scholes, McGrath, Kompany
    eagle eye - Suarez, Bale, Hazard
    SherlockWatson - Vieira, Drogba, Keown, Seaman
    Blatter - Shearer, Schmeichel, Bergkamp
    SlickRic - Lampard, Aguero, Pires
    Rushden - Rooney, Essien, Ricardo Carvalho
    Andersonisgod - Gerrard, Fabregas, Fowler
    Ferris Bueller - Giggs, Vidic, Owen
    Liam O - Cantona, Makelele, Xabi Alonso
    LuckyLloyd - Terry, Van Nistelrooy, David Silva
    Incognito Man - Van Persie, Adams, Petit
    DildoFaggins - Rio Ferdinand, Yaya Toure, Andy Cole

If you have a pick and wont be at the computer for a while you can pm it to me and I will post your pick as long as it hasnt been taken. I am not in the draft remember :)

Some front 3 for Eagle eye.

Some front 3 for Eagle eye.

I'd probably have blatter, redzerog or buckety favourites so far

I just went back and read the last draft we did on here, Eagle eye criticised my team for playing Bale on the right. Funny how things change.

• Advertisement

I just went back and read the last draft we did on here, Eagle eye criticised my team for playing Bale on the right. Funny how things change.

Bale has played effectively as a RW since though? anyway cant hazard play right in that team?

Bale has played effectively as a RW since though? anyway cant hazard play right in that team?

He was playing as right winger occasionally before then too.
    You could do yeah but Hazard has showed his best form on the left.

Bale in his last season at spurs hardly ever played right wing.
    http://www.transfermarkt.com/gareth-bale/leistungsdaten/spieler/39381/saison/2012/plus/1#gesamt

What he has done subsequently is irrelevant.

Bale in his last season at spurs hardly ever played right wing.
    http://www.transfermarkt.com/gareth-bale/leistungsdaten/spieler/39381/saison/2012/plus/1#gesamt

What he has done subsequently is irrelevant.

Forgot it was PL time only.

BALLS!!!

Was hoping Desailly would slip under the radar until my pick. Not only a PL great but an all time great, I was going to take him last pick but decided to gamble. Wish I hadnt now.

Likewise Desailly was slightly past his best when he got to the PL, still a very good defender for Chelsea though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

I think Lucas Hood's point was that EE must have thought Bale wouldn't have been as effective at RW in the last draft. He has proven that to be incorrect at RM.

There's no rule that a player can't be played in a certain position in the draft, just because they haven't played there much for their club.

The question should be if they can be highly effective in the position they're chosen in, not if you've ever seen them play there before.

I got some stick for putting Irwin as a right back in a previous draft because he played most of his football for United on the left. That was ridiculous because he's right footed and the full back job is pretty much the same job either side. In a recent interview I saw, Irwin actually confirmed he was slightly more comfortable at right back! You didn't need to see him play that often at right back to deduct this.

Likewise Desailly was past his best when he got to the PL, still a very good defender for Chelsea though.

He was only 29/30 when he moved to Chelsea, played 6 seasons and named on the Premier league team of the decade. Not to defend somebody elses pick too much but he was a step above just being a good defender.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Likewise Desailly was past his best when he got to the PL, still a very good defender for Chelsea though.

He was fantastic in his first couple of seasons, pretty close to his peak.

There is nothing stopping him being put on the right but when it comes to a match up the opponent is entitled to say that the Premier League Era Bale has only played a handful of games on the right side and is inexperienced there.

Harsh.

Still an absolute beast, who held a shoddy enough backline together.

Still started the Euro 2000 final for France so can't have been that past it. This was 2 years after he joined Chelsea.

he wasn't even close to past it when in the PL.

• Advertisement
Advertisement