Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Soccer Forum Premier League Era Draft Game Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Jaysis, why the ":rolleyes:" there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

SlickRic wrote: »
    Carragher is a superb pick at this stage. i thought there was half a chance he'd slip through the cracks.

A bit risky having him imo, he'll be a huge minus point for united supporters with voters, without naming any I still think there is one or 2 'safer' players to choose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Oranage2 wrote: »
    A bit risky having him imo, he'll be a huge minus point for united supporters with voters, without naming any I still think there is one or 2 'safer' players to choose.

Regardless of safer, I genuinely think there are a few better defenders still available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Jaysis, why the ":rolleyes:" there?
    Although, in this particular thread, where you have to attempt to downplay your rival's picks, it's understandable that you are practicing anti-hyperbole in relation to players you've not picked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Oranage2 wrote: »

If idiots want to vote against someone because he plays for an opposition then so be it am sure they will get great satisfaction from it.

For me Carragher is the best cb available and without doubt one of the best of the prem era, there are a few safe options left which may slip through to me but carra certainly wouldnt that is all part of planning for the draft

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

i sincerely hope no rival fan would be biased enough to say Carragher was shít.

it would make this process unbearable tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Would ruin the whole draft, considering it's based on both how good they were and how much of a Premier League legend they were Carragher deserves to be rated very highly IMO. I would have him ahead of Hyypia myself. Doesn't look like ASOT is going to pick within the next half an hour and I'm in work from 5-10, so I'll PM my choice onto Donnielighto if that's okay?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

redzerdrog wrote: »
    If idiots want to vote against someone because he plays for an opposition then so be it am sure they will get great satisfaction from it.

For me Carragher is the best cb available and without doubt one of the best of the prem era, there are a few safe options left which may slip through to me but carra certainly wouldnt that is all part of planning for the draft

There are still 2 or 3 I'd have ahead of him but only one of those is clear.

redzerdrog wrote: »
    If idiots want to vote against someone because he plays for an opposition then so be it am sure they will get geat satisfaction from it.

I don't think they won't vote for you just because he plays for Liverpool, a lot of people just don't rate him, I'm not going to argue with you, JC has been the main man in a very successful Liverpool team, I just think he'll be more trouble than what it's worth.

Works both ways too, as some fans won't rate kancheskis even though he has impressive stats some will find him a weakness in attack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

Would ruin the whole draft, considering it's based on both how good they were and how much of a Premier League legend they were Carragher deserves to be rated very highly IMO. I would have him ahead of Hyypia myself. Doesn't look like ASOT is going to pick within the next half an hour and I'm in work from 5-10, so I'll PM my choice onto Donnielighto if that's okay?

Just got in there ;)

• Advertisement

Ballack a good pick, the Romford Pele a good pick also. Hands up who doesn't have a central midfielder at this stage? :)

happy with Gilberto Silva, but that was tough.

xxxxx
    xxxxx
    Desailly
    xxxxx
    xxxxx
    Gilberto

Lampard
    xxxxx
    xxxxx
    Pires
    Aguero

that formation can change depending on future picks, and the flexibility of Lampard, Pires, and even Gilberto.

may still go with a second striker.

i do have a preferred, first choice formation in mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

SlickRic wrote: »
    happy with Gilberto Silva, but that was tough.
    The invisible wall. He had a job and he did it damn well.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Gilberto is a great choice imo and one that id say most value despite the fact that he could have gone overlooked.
    I PM'd Pudsy33 who is first reserve about taking over, if he doesn't want it then BountyHunter is next in line.

Just wondering if Pudsy got back to you and if not when is the guy one of us would be replacings next pick (and who does he already have, dont think the current picks are being copied and pasted into the OP as done previously)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

I was afraid of picking Silva due to public opinion of him, but I think it's a great pick at this stage myself.

My midfield choices got decimated in this round. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Gilberto is such a good pick. Brilliant midfielder.

Gilberto is a great choice imo and one that id say most value despite the fact that he could have gone overlooked.

Just wondering if Pudsy got back to you and if not when is the guy one of us would be replacings next pick (and who does he already have, dont think the current picks are being copied and pasted into the OP as done previously)?

There are 4 picks before dildo's go.

Frankie, any chance you could link this in the OP?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=93631085&postcount=157

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

There are 4 picks before dildo's go.

Frankie, any chance you could link this in the OP?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=93631085&postcount=157

cheers. He would prob need Slick or another mod to at this stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

I'm in for the drop out lads

• Advertisement

done (RE: edited OP with round picks included).

I'd have taken Silva ahead of Parlour tbh...

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I'd have taken Silva ahead of Parlour tbh...

By quite a distance too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Gilberto Silva is a ridiculously good pick at this stage of the competition, it is hard watching this round from 16th pick.

Gilberto is just one of those players that's under-appreciated.

the Invisible Wall is a terrific description of him at his best. Vieira was absolutely brilliant, don't get me wrong, but Silva doesn't get near enough credit for his role from 03-05 in that Arsenal side.

that's even ignoring his resurgence in 07/08 after injuries really curtailed him for a while, and the vast majority of Arsenal's superstars had gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

I had completely forgotten about Gilbert silva

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

The standard of picks has been pretty high imo. Can't see too many poor choices at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,978 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Pick made and pm sent. I couldn't believe that Van der Sar was still available.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Pick made and pm sent. I couldn't believe that Van der Sar was still available.

It was him or Gilberto for me this round.

I sacrificed him for a midfield controller, knowing he'd go this round really, but it was a painfully tight call.

• Advertisement

Quick enough progress being made with the picks today, keep up the good work lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Ginola is a great pick at this stage, I'm a bit surprised that one or two wingers were picked before him.

His goals per game ratio wasn't good enough in comparison to the likes of Overmars and Robben. Granted having him in the team would create space for others. He was definitely considered though.

His goals per game ratio wasn't good enough in comparison to the likes of Overmars and Robben. Granted having him in the team would create space for others. He was definitely considered though.

He can definitely score but I don't want him for goals, I have Ronaldo and Klinsmann for those. Ginola is the type that can dictate a game from the wing, he will be there to take possession, carry the ball at the defence and create chances for the others. He also allows me to play either 442 or an interchanging front 3 without losing effectiveness.

He was a massive part of Newcastles period of success under Keegan, I'm delighted to have him.

ETA: Not to be snarky, but what age are you? Anybody who was watching Ginola in 1996 would not start a conversation about him with "His goals per game ratio wasn't good enough in comparison..." :D. Thats like saying Cantona didn't score as much as Shearer. It may be true, but its not really the point! :)

Who goes now with dildo gone?

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    I'm in for the drop out lads

This guy goes

• Advertisement

Pick made

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭Rushden

Pick made

Edit your post to delete the players mentioned that aren't picked yet

Pick made

Aaaaahhhh I thought he'd make it back upto me with people going away from strikers the last few picks. Back to the drawing board

Rushden wrote: »
    Edit your post to delete the players mentioned that aren't picked yet

Done, sorry that was a stupid move!

Surprised with piggybank going now.

• Advertisement

Ledley King is a quality pick, I had him earmarked as a partner for McGrath until Kompany became available. Ledley King is on the same level in terms of ability though.

Ya, Ledley is one of the CB's i thought would have gone earlier, top class when fit.

Nearing the end of round 5

Chrissybhoy - Henry, Beckham, Cech, McAllister, Zabaleta

Redzerdrog - Carragher, Keane, Ashley Cole, Le Tissier, Ian Wright

ASOT - Torres, Zola, Sol Campbell, Pallister, Parlour

Bucketybuck - Ronaldo, Stam, Irwin, Ginola, Klinsmann

Frankie Lee - McGrath, Kompany, Scholes, Robben, Joe Cole, Les Ferdinand

eagle eye - VDS, Suarez, Bale, Hazard, Hyypia

SherlockWatson - Vieira, Drogba, Keown, Seaman, Kanchelskis

Blatter - Shearer, Schmeichel, Bergkamp, G Neville

SlickRic - Desailly, Gilberto Silva, Lampard, Aguero, Pires

Rushden - Rooney, Essien, Ricardo Carvalho, McManaman, Sheringham

Andersonisgod - King, Gerrard, Fabregas, Fowler, Anelka

Ferris Bueller - Giggs, Vidic, Ballack, Ljungberg, Owen

Liam O - Cantona, Makelele, Xabi Alonso, Overmars, Bruce

LuckyLloyd - Terry, Mascherano, Ince, David Silva, Van Nistelrooy

Incognito Man - Adams, Petit, Modric, Van Persie, Mata

Pudsy33 - Ivanovic, Rio Ferdinand, Yaya Toure, Andy Cole, Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink

Its a common theme in here but this time its actually true.

There are a lot of good PL players, but far less genuinely world class players, so how on earth did one of them last until the end of the fifth round?

Evra, along with Cole, was one of the best in his position in the entire world, something the likes of Carragher or Parlour could never claim.

I think evra's peak was better than cole's. Damn close though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Its a common theme in here but this time its actually true.

There are a lot of good PL players, but far less genuinely world class players, so how on earth did one of them last until the end of the fifth round?

Evra, along with Cole, was one of the best in his position in the entire world, something the likes of Carragher or Parlour could never claim.

Think you are over rating evra a bit but yout point still stands as many of the first round picks where never among the very best in the world in their position

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,372 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I was incredibly close to taking Evra over Bruce but decided it was more imperative to have a top CB over a top LB. Was almost a regretful pick as I made it. Also couldn't believe Mata was still available at that point too so even though he'd have probably been on the right for me it was hard not to pick him.

I was waiting patiently for Evra

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Liam O wrote: »
    I was incredibly close to taking Evra over Bruce but decided it was more imperative to have a top CB over a top LB. Was almost a regretful pick as I made it. Also couldn't believe Mata was still available at that point too so even though he'd have probably been on the right for me it was hard not to pick him.

Not as much as you're over rating Carragher.

Evra was a world class player, really surprised he wasn't picked earlier and especially since some people are just picking decent solid players.

Ballack is a great pick too, I completely forgot about him.

• Advertisement
Advertisement