Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Soccer Forum Premier League Era Draft Game Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

There's one centre back that will be a great back in the next round.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Ledley King is a quality pick, I had him earmarked as a partner for McGrath until Kompany became available. Ledley King is on the same level in terms of ability though.

Ye I'm happy with that, I'd been planning on getting a winger before him but all the wingers I'd been looking at were picked in this round or the previous one so it's back to the drawing board on that front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Gallas, very good pick,.at the time just before joining arsenal he was considered one of the best defenders in the Prem, had a bit of a Torres esq decline at arsenal so it'll be interesting how people jjudge players like that such as torres and Fowler.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Gallas, very good pick,.at the time just before joining arsenal he was considered one of the best defenders in the Prem, had a bit of a Torres esq decline at arsenal so it'll be interesting how people jjudge players like that such as torres and Fowler.

He was pretty good for a bit at Arsenal too which prompted Wenger to give him the captaincy as I remember?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

I thought I had Ashley Cole and it turns out I have Andy....shouldn't have taken Jimmy Floyd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

They'd make a decent partnership though.

They'd make a decent partnership though.

Agreed but I'm lighter at the back then I'd thought. Oh well :pac:

Blatter wrote: »
    He as pret good for a bit at Arsenal too which pompted Wenger to give him the captaincy as I remember?

I suppose when I look back he was good but just not nearly as good as good as what he was at Chelsea, also his partnership with toure never worked. His captaincy was a bit controversial too as fans thought some other players deserved it more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Delighted I got Ballack in, was worried that ASOT would pick him before me as I had a feeling he was going to go for a midfielder. If I didn't get Ballack my team would have been very light in the middle of the pitch, for some reason I thought Gilberto Silva would make it through another round and I might get him to partner Ballack but he was picked on the very next go, great pick for SlickRic whos team is shaping up very nicely.

The draft is really getting interesting now, the first four rounds it was very predictable what players were going to get selected it was just a matter of who would go first, now people are having to think a bit outside the box, players like Gilberto Silva and Ginola are great picks at this stage. Seems to have sped up a bit tonight so fair play to everyone hope we can keep the pace going! I won't be online much tomorrow but maybe if Rushden could let me know when it's my pick I could let him know who to choose for me?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭Rushden

Delighted I got Ballack in, was worried that ASOT would pick him before me as I had a feeling he was going to go for a midfielder. If I didn't get Ballack my team would have been very light in the middle of the pitch, for some reason I thought Gilberto Silva would make it through another round and I might get him to partner Ballack but he was picked on the very next go, great pick for SlickRic whos team is shaping up very nicely.

The draft is really getting interesting now, the first four rounds it was very predictable what players were going to get selected it was just a matter of who would go first, now people are having to think a bit outside the box, players like Gilberto Silva and Ginola are great picks at this stage. Seems to have sped up a bit tonight so fair play to everyone hope we can keep the pace going! I won't be online much tomorrow but maybe if Rushden could let me know when it's my pick I could let him know who to choose for me?

Yeah I'll be online a good bit so I'll let you know

Risky by AndersonisGod picking so many contemporary players, kinda like Muhammad Ali vs the current champ debate, Ali always win. The Romanticism of a legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Risky by AndersonisGod picking so many contemporary players, kinda like Muhammad Ali vs the current champ debate, Ali always win. The Romanticism of a legend.

I'm a man who enjoys a risk. Also I'm relatively young so my chances of accurately describing the playing styles of some of the very early 90's Premier League players are very slim so I'm sticking to what I know. That being said, I've seen enough of say Overmars that I would have felt good picking him but unfortunately he' gone already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

i just PM'd Pudsy.

are people PMing the next to pick. If everyone did it, it would make sure we race a lot faster through the picks.

I'm PMing when online to try to be sure but everyone should do it after their pick if they can.

Pick made

• Advertisement

Over half way through the first 11's now, I'm content with my team but probably went to early with some of my picks who may have lasted another round. I'm jealous of 2 or 3 other teams and I can see it requiring some tactical ingenuity to devise a way of beating them. A long way to go yet though.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Chrissybhoy

How many players are we going with?

14, it should allow options with formations/playing styles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

I think Carrick is a great pick but another on of those where public opinion might differ a lot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

I think Carrick is a great pick but another on of those where public opinion might differ a lot!

He better hope Pro F doesn't see his match thread :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Strange that the Premier leagues best defensive midfielder hasn't been picked yet... :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Someone pick Leon Britton quick :pac:

Carrick is underrated, but he has been found wanting in big games. You never get the feel he'll dominate a game for you.

in this one-off game scenario, it could work against him. but yeah, anyone who thinks he's shíte can fúck right off. that myth must certainly have been laid to rest by now.

I knew picking Carrick would generate discussion :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Carrick has been a very good footballer for a long stretch. Give him space at your peril. I think though that in an elite scenario like this draft he would be less effective.

You're kidding me, Hargreaves was my next pick, thought I was secure in that one!

Now I'm going to rubbish his injury record of course! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

He'll cover the back 4 well enough though. Attacking will depend on who else is paired in MF with him

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Carrick has been a very good footballer for a long stretch. Give him space at your peril. I think though that in an elite scenario like this draft he would be less effective.

There's been over 90 players picked, the elite are few and far between now. He fits into my team nicely I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

He'll cover the back 4 well enough though. Attacking will depend on who else is paired in MF with him

He's in with Modric and Petit

Edit: Oh I think you are talking about Carrick :o

I thought Hargreaves was great for united when he played(However his best form for me which was on right wing, in the CL, don't think that counts tho), but surely 27 matches is too little to have "peak", he's an unreliable pick imo.

• Advertisement

57800745.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Given the green-tinted glasses that often come on during these drafts, I think getting Duff at this stage is pretty shrewd and I'm surprised he lasted this long.

We're talking about peak ability and I believe there was one season where was as good as or even better than Robben for Chelsea, and possibly the finest winger in the league.

Didn't have a prolonged spell of being top class but still.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

Morzadec wrote: »
    Given the green-tinted glasses that often come on during these drafts, I think getting Duff at this stage is pretty shrewd and I'm surprised he lasted this long.

We're talking about peak ability and I believe there was one season where was as good as or even better than Robben for Chelsea, and possibly the finest winger in the league.

Didn't have a prolonged spell of being top class but still.
    His best season was 02/03 for me but nothing wrong with his 04/05 season either. Reliably contributed over the year, and a real trojan working back.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

Carrick is like the Jamie carra, a lot of people just don't rate him, gotta feel Sorry for pudsy , he say given a team a feel his predisestes chose very poorly.

Ah can't complain about the team. Cole is a good player as is Ivanovic. Still haven't decided what exactly I'll do with Toure, he's a good player but not sure what his best role is.

he say given a team a feel his predisestes chose very poorly.

:confused: :pac:

:confused: pac:

Sorry my 5 a side just won the league, in bed now after a little celebration.

there's one player who I'm gobsmacked hasn't been taken yet.

as good as, if not better than, many of the options taken in his category so far.

SlickRic wrote: »

as good as, if not better than, many of the options taken in his category so far.

I think I know who you're talking about and I really should have taken him

• Advertisement

Duff is a very good player, his first season at Chelsea he was better than robben and his 2002 world cup was amazing, unfortunately injury took away his race put you he was still a very handy player even recently at fulham

Yeah the duff I've picked is final year of Blackburn and first two years at Chelsea Duff, he really was one of the top wingers in the league at that point

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

there are two but pretty much resigned myself that neither will make it through to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,978 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Interestingly I had two players that I hoped would make it to me for this round and they were Hamann and Batty. I'm a Rovers fan and will never forget how good Batty was when we won the Premier league for us but I have Hamann ahead of him. Those two players are up there right behind Viera and Keane for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,978 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Just so people know, I did pm SlickRic so no need to go pm'ing him.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Interestingly I had two players that I hoped would make it to me for this round and they were Hamann and Batty. I'm a Rovers fan and will never forget how good Batty was when we won the Premier league for us but I have Hamann ahead of him. Those two players are up there right behind Viera and Keane for me.

I do wonder how much David Batty will be under-appreciated? As a United fan I would have him in our midfield today in a heartbeat, but the likes of Carrick get drafted ahead of him, its strange to me.

He is perfect for the role I want him for though.

• Advertisement

David batty was slightly before my time but I was on the verge of taking him before Carrick. That said I suspect people will say the same of Carrick in years to come.

Thanks EE, will post up my pick in the next few minutes.

You nicked Hamann before I could by the way. Hamann, Gilberto, Lampard in the middle could've been formidable.

Maybe left-field, I don't know, but I.couldnt resist one of the first defenders I really admired in the Premier League.

Desailly, Hendry, Lampard. I have to happy with those leaders in my team.

Maybe left-field, I don't know, but I.couldnt resist one of the first defenders I really admired in the Premier League.

Desailly, Hendry, Lampard. I have to happy with those leaders in my team.

I intended Hendry to be my choice to partner Stam, but I was also gambling that he would slip through the cracks for another few rounds. A little surprised and disappointed to miss out there.

Hendry is a good pick, was going to take him myself this round but was hoping he'd slip through to my next pick

• Advertisement
Advertisement