Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trek CrossRip: Comp or Elite?

• 25-12-2014 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

Come the new year, I'm moving on from my hybrid (Felt QX 75 2010) and buying a Crossrip.

My daily commute is Leixlip to City Quay, around 20km each way. I'm also looking at getting into some longer distances - the cycling club at work has a couple of 100km+ events on the calendar.

The (current - maybe less in the new year) base prices are E1050 for the Comp and E1250 for the Elite. All the reviews I've found for the Elite, and I'm just wondering if anybody has either model and can give me some personal opinions. Longer distances and light touring are definitely on the agenda, but I'm not looking at getting into actual racing.

I've seen complaints on the supposed cheapness of the CrossRip build in general, and this bike will be one I plan to be on for quite some time. Should I just shut up and pay the extra 200 for the Elite, or is the Comp all I'm really going to need?

EDIT: The reason I only mention the CrossRips is that they're the only CX bikes currently available at my bike shop, who do lifetime free service, and who I've only had good dealings with since I bought my QX 75 from five years ago. Loyalty is one thing, but if the complaints about the CrossRip build are justified and anyone can recommend another Cyclocross bike for around the 1000-1300 base mark in another Dublin-based shop, let's hear it.

I'm set on Cyclocross for the super-lightness, and I'm not a fan of the racing position (my back hurts just thinking about it). Anything I'm going to consider would have to have mounts for mudguards and a pannier rack, and possible to fit with top-mounted brakes.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,038 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Did you get a crossrip in the end? Considering getting it my self for the same reasons as you. Planning to put mudguards and a rack on it too

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭SionnachOghma

The guy in the shop convinced me that unless I was looking at getting into some seriously rough riding the expense of a cyclocross bike wouldn't really be justified. He showed me a few flat-handlebar road bikes, and I settled on a Giant Rapid with upgraded tires, rack and mudguards. So far I'm loving it.

Advertisement