Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

iPhone 6 bent

• 25-12-2014 4:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭

I have just noticed today that my iPhone 6 which I have had for 2 months is bent. It is pretty noticeable when it's out of its case. It must have bent my my pocket sometime. Is there any recourse I have or do u just have to live with it? It's on a bill pay contract. Should I just attempt to bend it back into place?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

One option would be to see if your front facing camera had the crescent defect, they are replacing phones for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,906 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

One option would be to see if your front facing camera had the crescent defect, they are replacing phones for that.

Highly unlikely to replace it for free if the phone is bent, regardless of what way the camera is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭wolfyboy555

I think the front camera is ok. I have notice some screen bleeding along the left side where it has bent in though. I am really disappointed this has happened as I thought it only affected iPhone 6+ and I thought apples standards would be better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

They will replace it. They want this problem to go away with as little noise as possible.

Just off the phone to apple. They are claiming that it is accidentally damage and even quoted the amount of pressure that needs to be put on to bend a phone. After giving out a bit they said to send it in for a look and then they will let me know if they will charge for it to be fixed or just replace it for me for free. Hopefully the latter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Ive heard great things about apple support, so fingers crossed it works out well!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

To be honest, you can claim on your consumer warranty in Ireland and they will, knowing Apple do it then.

You kind of need to throw key words at them before they will do anything.

So if they charge, then reply with well it was clearly not fit for sale and I am claiming under the Consumer Act.

Have had an experience myself with this and they wanted 75 euro for a dock connector replacement, however the moment I mentioned this, it seemed to satisfy the agent on the phone.

flexcon wrote: »
    To be honest, you can claim on your consumer warranty in Ireland and they will, knowing Apple do it then.

So if they charge, then reply with well it was clearly not fit for sale and I am claiming under the Consumer Act.

Have had an experience myself with this and they wanted 75 euro for a dock connector replacement, however the moment I mentioned this, it seemed to satisfy the agent on the phone.

Thanks for the tip I might have to use it. Will let you know what happens in a few days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,906 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

If the iPhone was bought in a carrier store they won't.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

I think the front camera is ok. I have notice some screen bleeding along the left side where it has bent in though. I am really disappointed this has happened as I thought it only affected iPhone 6+ and I thought apples standards would be better.

Nice android logo on your linked website.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Logic

Consumer law is between the consumer and point of purchase. Throwing that at Apple will do nothing for you unless bought direct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Consumer law is between the consumer and point of purchase. Throwing that at Apple will do nothing for you unless bought direct.

This is true. If Apple fail to do anything, the OP should go back to the point of purchase and quote the consumer act. Sometimes it's a bit useless doing it to a sales person in a shop. It's better to deal direct with customer support through emails, it's easier to keep a record that way.

I had to do this with a faulty tv about a year ago. The screen became faulty after about 18 months. Went to the shop and they said it was out of warranty, started quoting my consumer rights (calmly) and the girl looked baffled, so I just put my complaint into an email and they got back to me saying that they would fix it foc and they did. They replaced the faulty screen.

In the OP's case a phone shouldn't bend in your pocket, that's where they are kept for most of the time, therefore it is not of merchantable quality and you're entitled to have it fixed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 689 ✭✭✭avalon68

BaZmO* wrote: »

I had to do this with a faulty tv about a year ago. The screen became faulty after about 18 months. Went to the shop and they said it was out of warranty, started quoting my consumer rights (calmly) and the girl looked baffled, so I just put my complaint into an email and they got back to me saying that they would fix it foc and they did. They replaced the faulty screen.

In the OP's case a phone shouldn't bend in your pocket, that's where they are kept for most of the time, therefore it is not of merchantable quality and you're entitled to have it fixed.

This is a bit different though - your tv developed a fault. I think youd be quite lucky if they replace the phone. I wouldnt consider something not to be of merchantable quality because it bends in your pocket - perhaps you had it in your back pocket and sat on it? That would bend a lot of things. Even bending over with it in the front pocket can bend it if its at the right angle. Thats the price to pay for bigger, thinner phones. If you want to keep it in your pocket, perhaps a smaller model would suit better? As already mentioned though - apple customer support is pretty good, so you might get lucky and get it repaired hopefully :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

There's a whiff of trolling off this. Show us a photo of the phone, the posted photo is useless.

naasrd wrote: »
    There's a whiff of trolling off this. Show us a photo of the phone, the posted photo is useless.

Eh no trolling I have better things to be at. Although I will admit I completely forgot the screenshot wouldn't show the screen bleed as its a problem with the light getting through??

Anyways I might try and stick a photo up if I get time. They have sent me out the box to send the phone away but won't have a chance to do that until Friday!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 329 ✭✭Cathalog

Eh no trolling I have better things to be at. Although I will admit I completely forgot the screenshot wouldn't show the screen bleed as its a problem with the light getting through??

Yep, that is the case. A screenshot takes a snap of the data that is being passed to the LCD screen to be displayed. It won't capture any physical defects (like screen bleeding).

Some pics!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Mourinho

Just curious, how do you reckon it managed to bend? Like I've wondered do people with this issue leave the phone in the front or back pockets and then sit down without removing the phone or something that this happens?

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭seamusk84

I have an iPhone 5 and am now due an upgrade. However I'm holding off until Apple improve the build quality of the 6.

That bend looks very bad to me. It's currebtly a poor product in my opinion.

Best of luck anyway OP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,064 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Anyways I might try and stick a photo up if I get time. They have sent me out the box to send the phone away but won't have a chance to do that until Friday!

Were you sitting on it???

dodzy wrote: »
    Were you sitting on it???

No I am always very careful with it I never have it in my back pocket. I wear lose fitting trousers in work so it must come from wearing jeans which I don't wear that much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭OceanSixteen

The exact same problem happened to me, 16GB Gold iPhone 6, bent on the left side where the volume rockers are placed. However there is no bleeding of screen for me. A box is being sent out to me within the next few days so hopefully the problem is resolved. They were originally quoting £266 to get it repaired which I laughed at.

Have mine ready to be sent now at the minute. just waiting on someone from UPS to collect it. It's heading over to the UK.

The exact same problem happened to me, 16GB Gold iPhone 6, bent on the left side where the volume rockers are placed. However there is no bleeding of screen for me. A box is being sent out to me within the next few days so hopefully the problem is resolved. They were originally quoting £266 to get it repaired which I laughed at.
    Have mine ready to be sent now at the minute. just waiting on someone from UPS to collect it. It's heading over to the UK.

Let us know how ye get on. Curious to see what Apple have to say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,064 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

A PITA I know, but these phones can't be bending without reason. They must have be put under strain at some point(s).

Gave phone to UPS guy yesterday at 4:30pm. Delivered to England today and repair status is 'Product replacement pending' so I assume they are sending me out a new (maybe refurb?) phone.

Gave phone to UPS guy yesterday at 4:30pm. Delivered to England today and repair status is 'Product replacement pending' so I assume they are sending me out a new (maybe refurb?) phone.

If so, that was a surprisingly quick assessment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Sounds good. Sometimes I think they don't inspect the returns. Refurb or new are indistinguishable. They replace the casing and the battery so it's as new.

• Advertisement

Cathalog wrote: »
    If so, that was a surprisingly quick assessment.

Ridiculously and impressively quick. Just checked the status again 'Replacement product shipped'!

Advertisement