Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apprenticeship chaos

Options
  • 25-12-2014 6:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I decided to share my problem with all of you as I fail to get the appropriate insight on how to turn the tables on my current job conditions or to see how I should take it to the next level.

First of all some background info. I live in south eastern Spain, right next to the Mediterranean. It's a lovely spot and I moved here 3 years ago, I've been working on and off as a waiter, I'm 27 and I did 2 years of Industrial Design at college, a degree I didn't finish so I have no qualifications apart from that, hence the bar jobs.

I stumbled across an apprenticeship in Cabinet Making, which is something I've always been interested in thanks to my design background, and I was itching to get a job with proper Mon-Fri and 8 hour shifts, which this is, to have the extra time available on weekends, which you don't get as a waiter, where shifts are from opening hours to closing hours. On several occasions I have worked for 5-6 euros an hour a total of 14-16 hours without breaks and with one day off a week. It's expected, but since my work contracts showed a 40h per week limit, it's not lawful. Everyone does it though.

My employer made it clear it was an apprenticeship and though the contract showed an 800 euro a month remuneration he stated it wasn't possible at the time and I'd be payed around half of that, he explicitly said 400 euros. That was the last I saw of any conditions regarding the contract. I am working without it, and I agreed because I didn't want to loose the possibility of learning this trade. This has carried me down a slope of uncertainty, as we are currently 3 staff (father, son (boss) and me, the apprentice) and every time my boss mentions getting new workers he adds that my position is in jeopardy.

It started off fairly nicely a couple of months ago, I got assignments unrelated to work orders, carried them out, was given the possibility of repeating them when I wasn't happy with the results (I'm extremely critical with my own work) and in general the feedback was that the work was good, though slow. As of late my assignments are unconnected, part of the work-load they do, even fixing errors of theirs, and it seems as though they have lost interest in showing me any knowledge regarding the job. I've been deemed un-sharp by these guys and I truly feel I'm being misjudged, I carry out the tasks I'm given and do my best, but it's never enough.

I mean, cabinet making isn't rocket science. I don't mean I'd be better off at playing with the physics of reaction engines, it isn't my strong suit, but regarding what they do I know I'm more than suited to eventually surpass their savoir-faire and improve their business greatly.

I feel they're pinching me to get me on track, but I'm not sure. Lately my work capability has improved as I get more confident with my hands and the tasks at bay, but as I felt the curve going upward, it deadened down and they started talking about not knowing what to do with me next year. In November I received sparse and little remuneration that didn't amount to the 400 euros I was told, even more so this month of December when the only money I've seen were 10 measly euros I got as a tip from a customer when we worked at his house, while he pocketed more than a 1000 and smiled at me. It's really getting to me but I find it hard to ask for what I consider mine when my very job position is in doubt. I don't want to loose this job, I've got support from my family as I learn the trade, but obviously I do want to become independent and support myself as soon as possible.

About my employers I will say they aren't city folk, by that I mean they're shaped according to the local panorama and they speak mostly the local language, a sort of mix between Spanish and French which I understand around 80% of, but as a New Yorker dropped in a rural Texas setting would, I have some trouble understanding some of the words when dipped in the hard accent they have here. They don't speak Spanish unless it's necessary and I've already talked to them about my difficulties in this regard, which they've belittled.

They do have a great deal of knowledge regarding traditional techniques and methodologies when approaching builds and they attack those tasks with fluidity and are outright fast at doing it. They tend to consider the simpler jobs easy and when I fail or misunderstand they're all over me for not listening or being cumbersome, which I'll admit is part of my problem, but it is down to me not being familiarized with the tooling and/or the materials, which is something they should take into consideration. After all, this IS an apprenticeship.

Since it's him and his "retired" 66 year-old Dad running the workshop, and fitting the furniture at the customer's house is part of what we do, I've toyed around with the idea of telling them that with no contract I'm not coming back, and see how long it takes them to make good on their initial proposal when he and his father have to lug large, unwieldy pieces up to a 3rd floor without an elevator.

It's a bit of a desperate situation, so I could do with wise insight of any kind. I do feel I've been too good with these guys and I'm paying dearly for it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Robroy36

How easy will it be to get a replacement apprentice? You must be in Northern Spain if they are mixing in French - it must be very quiet there during the winter on the bar work front. Perhaps you would be better off investing your time over the winter to ensure they become more dependent on you, then you will have a better bargaining position once the summer comes around. Worst case scenario they give you a swift PFO and you slot back into the steady bar work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

How are you and your family surviving if you are not even getting 400 euro per month.

Are you in a formal apprenticeship with set progression? If not it sounds like slave labour especially if you don't feel like you're progressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Aradian

I'm being supported by my Father, it's been hard getting a job that allows me to progress here and now that I've found a way of learning something I can make a living out of, he's sending cash to help me through. It just feels wrong considering the lack of compromise on their part, arguing they don't know what to do with me once they've got the personnel they're looking for (which they haven't for the past few years).

I'd just like a set of pointers on what to argue with them to get a contract and a fixed amount of money a month that they'll fork over without second thoughts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Aradian

Plus, I'd like some other pointers on how to remain confident, calm and justified as an apprentice when your boss downplays your ability, considering you're not a qualified worker.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭The Diabolical Monocle

Maybe Im way off the mark here but, ... you know, if you're good at the trade and you qualify with some cash to spare you might just set up your own business next door to theirs in a few years.

Who really wants to take steps now to help set up their own future competitor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭dpofloinn

OP you are being used and abused full stop. You are not in an apprenticeship you are at best being used as unskilled labour and being taken for a serious ride. This link http://www.mariscal-abogados.com/publications/the-training-and-apprenticeship-contract-in-spain/ may help you to understand how the apprenticeship system in Spain works.

As for the negative reinforcement and job security issues. It is a (cruel) method they are using to keep you down. If you look at it logically in a country with 25% unemployment the idea that they cant find the''Right'' employees is farcical . They all ready have found the ''Right'' employee and YOU my friend are it ( a foreigner? who doesn't understand the system and doesn't fully understand the language)

The way I see it you have 3 options available to you.

1) Continue on as you are and get shafted
    2) Contact your local Public Employment Service Office and find out all the facts, and then have it out with your employers and find out where you stand once and for all
    3) Cut your losses and tell them to shove their job where the sun don't shine

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭dpofloinn

@ The Diabolical Monocle yeah you're well wide of the mark

Advertisement