Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lizard Squad are at it again (PSN/Live Down)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

COYVB wrote: »
    Got nothing to do with security. It's a ddos. It requires no ability or knowledge to do, and its got zip to do with the security of any server. Robustness, yes. Security, no.

Still requires man/processing power, which they seem to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

By double clicking inside a PC app, typing in an IP address into a box and clicking "fire mah lazerz" ???

That doesn't take much power, it's when you multiply it by 5000 is where the issues start....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Doesn't require much of either to be fair

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Fieldog wrote: »
    By double clicking inside a PC app, typing in an IP address into a box and clicking "fire mah lazerz" ???

That doesn't take much power, it's when you multiply it by 5000 is where the issues start....

I meant in terms of bringing down PSN/XBL so the second part of your post is correct.

I meant in terms of bringing down PSN/XBL so the second part of your post is correct.

If they took both down on a random July night I'd be impressed. But Christmas would've had both networks close to breaking point anyway. Hard to imagine it took THAT much to tip them over the edge given the 6m plus of new ps4 owners and 4-6m new xbox one owners all trying to update their OS, patch games and play online at the same time

• Advertisement

If they took both down on a random July night I'd be impressed. But Christmas would've had both networks close to breaking point anyway. Hard to imagine it took THAT much to tip them over the edge given the 6m plus of new ps4 owners and 4-6m new xbox one owners all trying to update their OS, patch games and play online at the same time

In fairness to the hackers, they have been threatening this for weeks - you would think (in your head) they would have a safeguard against the attacks, the reality is they can't do much to stop it, especially whilst being attacked.... :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,215 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

No it doesn't. A single person can easily do it with a zombie network or even just a peer to peer attack. Get a lot of people on a torrent and tghey unwittingly contribute. I'd be very surprised if 'Lizard Squad' are more than 5 bored teenagers.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    No it doesn't. A single person can easily do it with a zombie network or even just a peer to peer attack. Get a lot of people on a torrent and tghey unwittingly contribute. I'd be very surprised if 'Lizard Squad' are more than 5 bored teenagers.

A couple of them live close by me as chance has it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

Got nothing to do with security. It's a ddos. It requires no ability or knowledge to do, and its got zip to do with the security of any server. Robustness, yes. Security, no.

Well, I did not say it was not a DDOS attack. I am not exactly tech savvy, I was just going by what I read online a few hours ago when Lizard Squad reported to be the group to DDOS attack the PSN/XBL servers and what their intention was that it can be easily done such a day like yesterday or today like you said.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭I Armour I

Without prying to much, by chance are you from cork COYVB?

• Advertisement

I Armour I wrote: »
    Without prying to much, by chance are you from cork COYVB?

Nope, I'm in canada

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭john the one

Nope, I'm in canada

Lizard squad are probably based in Russia

Lizard squad are probably based in Russia

Theyre not. They were doxxed back in August after a LOL attack. All their info is in the public domain

Theyre not. They were doxxed back in August after a LOL attack. All their info is in the public domain

Its all here :

http://www.lizardsquad.info/

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭dharma200

they have just tweeted : https://twitter.com/****crucifix

supposedly games now for free as has been hacked?

Link dead

• Registered Users Posts: 23,160 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Boards censors "fúck" so replace the **** with fúck and it'll take you to their childish Twitter where they're shíteing on about Destiny being free on PSN.

IN ALL CAPS OF COURSE.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,215 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Fair enough some kid being upset over their new console not working xmas day but some of the nerd rage because someone can't get a game of call of duty or fifa is embarrassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Nerd and Fifa/COD in the same sentence...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Fair enough some kid being upset over their new console not working xmas day but some of the nerd rage because someone can't get a game of call of duty or fifa is embarrassing.

Some people don't have a backlog of 52,651 games to play like yourself. :pac: Think of the children

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

I was slightly put out by the DoS but I have a backlog of books to fall back on so it wasn't a big deal for me.

But "some kid being upset" is actually thousands of kids who's only present they were looking forward to getting was an Xbox or PS4 so they could play kids games like little big planet or similar games. Their promise to Santa to be nice all year must make them feel fairly sad just because a group of nerds wanted to make a point.. I can't help but feel bad for the young uns... Not to mention the parents who had little money but still managed to buy these consoles to see the joy on their kids faces that, so far, they haven't seen.

The nerd rage is definitely over the top but seriously "Won't somebody please think of the children"..

I never got that Super Nintendo I wanted back in 1992 so those kids are only feeling a tiny amount of the pain I felt since PSN and Xbox Live will be back up soon. I turned out to be a well adjusted individual anyway.

Now if you'll excuse me I'm off to DDOS PSN and XBox Live so entitled children can feel my christmas pain!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,160 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Don't know if these two guys are legit but if they are, what a pair of utter twats...

I do like the interviewers fairly obvious disdain for them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

I'm still offline, can't sign in

• Registered Users Posts: 9,754 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I'm still offline, can't sign in

I see "Sony Entertainment Network is currently undergoing maintenance". It's a mystery as to how long this will take.

sony's got it down voluntarily at the moment apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

sony's got it down voluntarily at the moment apparently

Which would suggest they're either bulking up their security or they've actually been hacked by actual hackers. It's just gettin fair fùckin annoying now...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,408 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

the real calamity is because of this I had to watch Frozen and now can't stop singing the songs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭crasy dash

gimli2112 wrote: »
    the real calamity is because of this I had to watch Frozen and now can't stop singing the songs

Ah cmon let it go haha

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

If anything thing it exposed the incompetence of PSN staff. and Sony as an organization With all the money they make you'd think they would hire the people with the skills and provide them with the resources necessary to set up security systems to stop this

Advertisement