Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mrs Brown's Boys Christmas Special

• 25-12-2014 11:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭

I thought the Mrs Brown's Boys Christmas Special was very poor. There was very little laughs and it was constantly trying to be funny. In my opinion, it crossed the line in vulgarity.

Is Brendan O'Carroll running out ideas or if this just a once off?

I won't be watching them again unless I've heard if it's good.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭tigger123

In-your-endo.

In-your-endo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,796 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

Never found it funny.Ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,165 ✭✭✭893bet

A load of caca

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭EICVD

How anyone finds Mrs Brown funny is beyond me, desperate stuff altogether!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

I thought the bit about the priest saying he used to lick the whisk when he was young was quite funny...but they just ruined it by showing him with cream all over his face. Overkill destroyed any humour that was in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

I like Mrs Brown's boys but this episode he seems to be trying too hard to find laughs and I think he crossed the line with the vulgarity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Statler: Boo!
    Waldorf: Boooo!
    S: That was the worst thing I’ve ever heard!
    W: It was terrible!
    S: Horrendous!
    W: Well it wasn’t that bad.
    S: Oh, yeah?
    W: Well, there were parts of it I liked!
    S: Well, I liked a lot of it.
    W: Yeah, it was GOOD actually.
    S: It was great!
    W: It was wonderful!
    S: Yeah, bravo!
    W: More!
    S: More!
    W: More!
    S: More!

Has Mrs Brown not always been about dick jokes and a touch of vulgarity? With my mam tonight so ended up watching it, didn't think it was vulgar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 398 ✭✭IsaacWunder

Still amazes me he won a Bafta for a show that makes the Adam Sandler stuff look like high art.

• Advertisement

Still amazes me he won a Bafta for a show that makes the Adam Sandler stuff look like high art.

I wouldn't mind but some of its so badly written.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

tigger123 wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind but some of its so badly written.

Lol -shyte sells, and I laugh like a drain along with everyone else...funny fecker BOC, I'd say he cares what some people say, as long as loads of people pay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I thought the Mrs Brown's Boys Christmas Special was very poor. There was very little laughs and it was constantly trying to be funny

Sounds better than usual

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

The fag jokes are getting really old. Do they think this is edgy humour or something? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭no money honey

Im not one to complain about comedies and comedians because people dont realise how hard it is to and that people have a different sense of humour to each other.

But I'm still yet to find anyone that didnt think that this programme is the biggest piece of rubbish on the airwaves. Horrible horrible bollocks, pure embarrassment to the country IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Dreadful. Jokes too contrived.

Lol -shyte sells, and I laugh like a drain along with everyone else...funny fecker BOC, I'd say he cares what some people say, as long as loads of people pay.

Apparently he turned down big money to make a US version for HBO...

That's according to him, mind.. so fcuk knows if it's true or not. I can't see an American audience warming to his humor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

can we add a poll to this thread??

do you find mrs brown funny.. yes or no ??

That's according to him, mind.. so fcuk knows if it's true or not. I can't see an American audience warming to his humor.

Did he say why? That's a bit strange.

I saw someone on Twitter say that he's done after these two Christmas specials and is gonna retire the show, not sure if it's true.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭paulieeye

Is the sitcom in Ricky Gervais extras based on this or the other way around?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 398 ✭✭IsaacWunder

There's no shortage of stupid people in America. He'd clean up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

I was very disappointed . Very poor .

paulieeye wrote: »

Extras was before Mrs Brown. I was just thinking about the similarities as I was watching it tonight!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

i hate it when they do the "bloopers" to the camera....its plainly obvious there rehearsed

tigger123 wrote: »
    Did he say why? That's a bit strange.

I saw someone on Twitter say that he's done after these two Christmas specials and is gonna retire the show, not sure if it's true.

His priority is to spend more time with his family iirc. Not sure why that would be an issue considering most of them already work for him on the show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,211 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Im not one to complain about comedies and comedians because people dont realise how hard it is to and that people have a different sense of humour to each other.

But I'm still yet to find anyone that didnt think that this programme is the biggest piece of rubbish on the airwaves. Horrible horrible bollocks, pure embarrassment to the country IMO.

Made me laugh :D

But yeah, I find it funny, but I understand why people take it seriously - because as you quite rightly point out, people do indeed have a different sense of humour to each other. I don't find it an embarrassment to the country either, there's a hell of a lot more to be embarrassed about besides Mrs. Brown! :D

His priority is to spend more time with his family iirc. Not sure why that would be an issue considering most of them already work for him on the show.

Hmmmm. He couldn't work with them all in New York or LA for 6 months, then spend the money they make together back in Ireland?

Hmmmm.

Absolute absolute absolute irredeemable garbage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

It was the same as every other episode then?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Brendan O'Carroll is about as funny as syphilis.

Unfunny mining of that painful 80s 'gurrier' pastiche that was even passée with Twink and Brendan Grace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

It seems it's very popular to hate Mrs Brown on boards. I watched it, I laughed at bits, I cringed at others, but I enjoyed it. And I'll watch it again on New Years Day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

i really lose all hope for humanity knowing that this tripe is so popular.....

i mean i'm not being snobby or anything, but you really have to have the intellect of a primate to find it amusing

Son0vagun wrote: »
    It seems it's very popular to hate Mrs Brown on boards. I watched it, I laughed at bits, I cringed at others, but I enjoyed it. And I'll watch it again on New Years Day.

Not sure if it's just confined to boards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

paulieeye wrote: »

When the whistle blows !

I liked it until I found out it was actually a man in a dress. It's disgusting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

I'm very sorry to say this during the Christmas season but I'd judge someone who found that muck funny. Judging people is not a nice thing to do but there ye go. Just being honest, like.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ClovenHoof

Only the cognitively underperforming would believe that this show was funny from the start.

It's Moron+ 'jokes'

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭zeebre12

I found the show tonight a bit too vulgar and dirty..it can't be denied that most young children watch this with their family on Christmas night, and it is accepted and Brendan knows lots of children watch it..I was watching it with my younger cousins in our house and it was on in the background, I felt really uncomfortable watching it with them..I think he should tone done the sexual references a bit, because its common knowledge that most children watched it tonight around the country..you can have sexual references that only adults really understand, but then you have children asking what's that thing she's mixing with?

zeebre12 wrote: »
    I found the show tonight a bit too vulgar and dirty..it can't be denied that most young children watch this with their family on Christmas night, and it is accepted and Brendan knows lots of children watch it..I was watching it with my younger cousins in our house and it was on in the background, I felt really uncomfortable watching it with them..I think he should tone done the sexual references a bit, because its common knowledge that most children watched it tonight around the country..you can have sexual references that only adults really understand, but then you have children asking what's that thing she's mixing with?

However shite and nasty the show is, you can't blame it for the idiots that allow kids to watch it.

I was laughing all the way through never fails to make me laugh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I used to think for a while that it was for people who had a different sense of humor to me, but I now realise that only morons find it funny.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 17 jimmymorrison2

However shite and nasty the show is, you can't blame it for the idiots that allow kids to watch it.

what time do they put it on at ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,402 ✭✭✭ger664

zeebre12 wrote: »
    but then you have children asking what's that thing she's mixing with?

A whisk

I think Mrs Brown's Boys, like most Irish 'comedy' it, captures Irish 'humour' perfectly.

Mostly a mixture of strange, warped, off, and hateful, with the odd genuinely funny bit now and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I think Mrs Brown's Boys, like most Irish 'comedy' it, captures Irish 'humour' perfectly.

Mostly a mixture of strange, warped, off, and hateful, with the odd genuinely funny bit now and then.

Edgy humour is beautiful when done well. Look at Artie Lange or Howard Stern. When done badly it's horrible, everything is too obvious and they use slurs, but listen to Artie Lange talk about gays and broads for instance, it's much more clever, you'll be laughing your ass off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭circadian

Terrible tv. Seen the birthing fiasco and turned it over. Absolute tripe.

Edgy humour is beautiful when done well. Look at Artie Lange or Howard Stern. When done badly it's horrible, everything is too obvious and they use slurs, but listen to Artie Lange talk about gays and broads for instance, it's much more clever, you'll be laughing your ass off

American ? We were talking about typically Irish comedy and humour in Mrs Brown's boys

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 412 ✭✭better call saul

Heard it being compared to father Ted.

That's like comparing the soccer skills of a paraplegic to Eric Cantona.

Disgraceful tripe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

MadYaker wrote: »
    I used to think for a while that it was for people who had a different sense of humor to me, but I now realise that only morons find it funny.

I'm in oz on holidays at the moment and was shocked at how popular it is over here. There was a live tour earlier in the year which completely sold out!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

• Advertisement
Advertisement