Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New monitor - Not getting the refresh rate advertised

Options
  • 26-12-2014 1:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭

Hey all
    Got a BenQ XL2411Z for Christmas. Gaming monitor, advertised as having refresh rates of up to 140hz.
    Only getting 60Hz, though, on my HDMI connection.

Did a bit of reading and it seems like I should use a different connection to get the full benefits of the new monitor (HDMI only does 60 HZ, turns out)

The monitor has the following connections:
    1 x DVI-D Dual Link
    1 x D-Sub
    1 x HDMI

My graphics card (Radeon 7870 Pro) has the following connections:
    2 x DVI-I Dual Link
    2 x Mini Display Ports
    1 x HDMI

What would be the best way for me to get the maximum refresh rate?
    A DVI-I to DVI-D adapter like this one?

Or a Mini Display Port to DVI-D like this one?

(and can it be bought in Dublin City Centre or do I have to go online?)

Cheers for any help!

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Simpler than that even all you need is a DVI-D cable as that will fit into a DVI output on the GPU.

The only extras the DVI-I output on your gpu has over DVI-D is additional pins to carry an analog signal so you could use it with a VGA adapter if needed.

A Female DVI-I port as on any GPU is 100÷ physically compatible with a male DVI-D cable.

Any PC store should have them like maplin or PC world. Don't pay more than a little north of a fiver though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Bruno Batista

Doh!
    Cheers, Marco_polo, that didn't even occur to me!
    Working flawlessly now!
    And cheers, braddun, still not quite happy with the colours in this but that link helped!

Advertisement