Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Galway 2015... bear with me I know it has been done a million times

Options
  • 26-12-2014 2:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭

:D:D
    I lived in galway many years ago so I know most of the city. My main question is what the bloody traffic is like these days. Been offered a job starting in january 2015 and its in mervue. However any accomodation available (veryyyyyyyyy little available) is all out knocknacarra/salthill direction. Now I'd love to live in salthill but would I be considered a mentaller for trying to commute across the city every morning and evening?
    what times does traffic get back to flowing normally in the morning and evening? The company morning start time may be flexible..
    any advice is appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Traffic is not great, to be honest. I live in Knocknacarra and work in Mervue which is what got me in to commuting by bike. It's not for everybody, but it's a good solution for some.

When I drive I go on the early side. If I'm on the road at 8, not 8:15, I can sneak through town to Mervue before it gets too heavy... maybe 20 minutes. Then If I leave at 5, not 5:15, I can usually get home in under 30 minutes. However, if you are held up by even 10 minutes it can easily take 45 minutes home which verges on ridiculous for a few short miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,957 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

maldini wrote: »
    : However any accomodation available (veryyyyyyyyy little available) is all out knocknacarra/salthill direction.

You need to look at Daft a bit harder, there are a few places in both the city centre and the eastern suburbs as well as Oranmore.

Maybe take another look in a day or two when Christmas as worn off a bit more.

Many people do travel across town (there are very few jobs in Knockers, so they have to) - but personally I think it's nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Goofy

I live in Salthill and work in Ballybrit and I drive everyday. If I leave before 8 in the morning it takes me about 12 mins (yes I am that sad that I timed it) but after 8 it can take 30 to 40 mins if the schools are open.
    In the evenings between 4 and 6 it takes between 30 and 40 again but if I leave later it's down to 15 mins. I'm lucky that I work flexible hours so I can work around the traffic.

The route I take is over the the bridge at Spanish arch, out lough atalia, straight through the lights at monageesha and up past mervue. The same home. There are queues at monageesha and down by the docks on the way home but they move along fairly good so it's not too bad.

On normal days I find it grand because I love living in Salthill. But when there is a crash it can take ages to get home..... But you can probably say that about most parts of Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭maldini

Thanks everyone!!!
    Im looking for a place on my own Mrs OBumble so there really is slim pickings out there.
    Im looking at a number of lovely places in barna, salthill and knocknacarra. So much nicer than whats available eastside but there is the traffic issue. The company will allow me to be flexible outside the core 10-4 hours.
    Im guessing traffic between 9 and 9.30am is still pretty bad. So its pre 8am to beat the crappy traffic.
    Looking forward to getting back to gaillimh though! Thanks again everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

Thanks everyone!!!
    Im looking for a place on my own Mrs OBumble so there really is slim pickings out there.
    Im looking at a number of lovely places in barna, salthill and knocknacarra. So much nicer than whats available eastside but there is the traffic issue. The company will allow me to be flexible outside the core 10-4 hours.
    Im guessing traffic between 9 and 9.30am is still pretty bad. So its pre 8am to beat the crappy traffic.
    Looking forward to getting back to gaillimh though! Thanks again everyone
    There are lots of new houses in roscam and doughiska that might suit you and would make your journey quicker. Not as scenic as Salthill or Barna but might be worth it for the quick travel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Paddyfield

I'd live in Salthill at the drop of a hat if it can fit in to your work schedule. You need to consider what you're going to do on your free time too. Salthill is a wonderful place for 4 months of the year, pretty good for 6 months and not too bad for the other 2 months.

Paddyfield wrote: »
    I'd live in Salthill at the drop of a hat if it can fit in to your work schedule. You need to consider what you're going to do on your free time too. Salthill is a wonderful place for 4 months of the year, pretty good for 6 months and not too bad for the other 2 months.

well thats how I feel Paddy, coming from dublin traffic Im just hoping I Wouldnt be stuck in traffic every morning and evening for an hour each way. Half an hour I could handle, but if I can get on the road at the right time then my commute should be short as a few people have said above.
    Ive lived in many areas of the eastside before so I really want something different and try salthil/barna.

Supply and demand: less demand out west, more in the east, lots of houses built in the west, not enough in the east.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

op, I live in Rahoon/Knocknacarra (don't start!) and I get the 405 bus outside the door and it brings me to Ballybrit for €1.60 with the Leapcard... some days the evening 405 can get stuck in traffic but if you can be flexible with your start and end times you can beat the heaviest of the traffic.. I also cycle on good days and can get to Ballybrit in 25mins without rushing

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

Supply and demand: less demand out west, more in the east, lots of houses built in the west, not enough in the east.
    I disagree- house prices very low in the east.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,151 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

I disagree- house prices very low in the east.

You'd think he was talking about rental, not purchase.

jkforde wrote: »
    op, I live in Rahoon/Knocknacarra (don't start!) and I get the 405 bus outside the door and it brings me to Ballybrit for €1.60 with the Leapcard... some days the evening 405 can get stuck in traffic but if you can be flexible with your start and end times you can beat the heaviest of the traffic.. I also cycle on good days and can get to Ballybrit in 25mins without rushing

The company have said they are quite flexible.. what would you consider the best times to be on the road? 9am - 9.30am any better with traffic?
    After dealing with dublin traffic I think Im ready for galways traffic.
    I'll cycle on the good days but for now I'll be sitting snugly in my car :D

and yes I was talking about renting a property, not buying just yet! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

If you can start work at 8.30am (or earlier) then Salthill etc would be a good choice. The main Barna Road recently had new traffic lights installed at one of the junctions with Knocknacarra which has greatly slowed traffic coming from there every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

:D:D
    I lived in galway many years ago so I know most of the city. My main question is what the bloody traffic is like these days. Been offered a job starting in january 2015 and its in mervue. However any accomodation available (veryyyyyyyyy little available) is all out knocknacarra/salthill direction. Now I'd love to live in salthill but would I be considered a mentaller for trying to commute across the city every morning and evening?
    what times does traffic get back to flowing normally in the morning and evening? The company morning start time may be flexible..
    any advice is appreciated :)

I commute from Salthill everyday to Ballybrit the maximum it takes is 30 mins. I live very close three of the schools which can make it a pain. But you can take another 10 mins off it when the schools are out.

You'd think he was talking about rental, not purchase.

Sorry! Too much Xmas food

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

For the past two years I was living in Shantalla and working in Ballybrit. I'd drive across in 15-20 mins if leaving 8-8.10am, or cycle in 30mins (any time). From 8.15am the traffic really starts to lock up. The evening is worse, leaving at 6pm it'd often take 30-40mins getting back across the bridge, cycling took about 22mins. I later found it quicker to avoid the bridge and come down Mervue/Wellpark -> Lough Atalia -> Docks -> Cross Street -> Bridge Street -> Mill Street -> St Helens Street -> Shantalla.

I recently moved to Lwr Salthill and it's a bit quicker both ways as I go through town now. I come in Father Griffin Rd, around by the Spanish Arch to Merchants Road, around Eyre Square and up Prospect Hill and Bohermore etc. I find Lough Atalia is best avoided going East.

Personally I much prefer to live in Salthill and have the commute across town, Lwr Salthill is perfect balance if you can find a place as it's only 15min walk from town. Will be even better when the GTI bike share stand opens.

Cheers Jill and Joe, some good info there. Basically leave around 8am or I'm gonna sit in traffic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Cheers Jill and Joe, some good info there. Basically leave around 8am or I'm gonna sit in traffic.
    or get a bike.

snubbleste wrote: »
    or get a bike.

Got one and I'm tempted but no showers in the office. That might not work out to well for me :)

Advertisement