Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any way for my daughter to do the irish oral?

Options
  • 26-12-2014 10:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi, my daughter is in 2nd year and all she has ever got in an Irish exam was a low B.. In her school, only one Irish teacher does the oral with his students, which is not the techer that she has... She was wondering is there a way of applying and doing the oral outside of school, or does the teacher have to decide for her students? Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It's a union issue for schools. ASTI are not doing it. If the school is an ETB (VEC) school and/or the teachers are TUI, their union stance is that they have a choice as to whether to do it or not, depending on certain conditions being met. Sounds like it might be a TUI school if one teacher is doing it, unless they are not in a union at all.

If one teacher is doing it, it is possible they can examine any child in the school. The Principal would be the first port of call, to see if it is possible. I don't think outside the school is a possibility.

If she's getting a low B on the written paper, she's doing OK on it. Doing the oral will lessen the percentage the written paper counts for. You don't want to run the risk of her oral pulling down her already good written mark, but I'm presuming you're asking about the oral because her oral Irish is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Doily

spurious wrote: »
    If she's getting a low B on the written paper, she's doing OK on it. Doing the oral will lessen the percentage the written paper counts for. You don't want to run the risk of her oral pulling down her already good written mark, but I'm presuming you're asking about the oral because her oral Irish is good.

Thanks, I might approach the principal about it. I wouldn't be worried about it affecting her grade, as oral Irish is very much her strong point, and it flows quite naturally for her 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 10 bearwhite

I wouldn't recommend the Irish oral at all. I have to do it at my school, and it is the biggest piss take in the entire Irish education system. It's not possible to do well in, regardless of how good at speaking Irish you are. They can ask you any question(including things that aren't on the course) in the "Comhra", you have to recite a couple of paragraphs describing pictures in the "sraith pictiur" and then you ask questions about an ad and get no reply in the "roleplay". In my Irish class, everyone has only gone down in their result when you compare the christmas(no oral) and summer result(oral) from second year - including girls who went to gaelscoil primary schools and are basically fluent.

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭UnknownEntity

bearwhite wrote:
    I wouldn't recommend the Irish oral at all. I have to do it at my school, and it is the biggest piss take in the entire Irish education system. It's not possible to do well in, regardless of how good at speaking Irish you are. They can ask you any question(including things that aren't on the course) in the "Comhra", you have to recite a couple of paragraphs describing pictures in the "sraith pictiur" and then you ask questions about an ad and get no reply in the "roleplay". In my Irish class, everyone has only gone down in their result when you compare the christmas(no oral) and summer result(oral) from second year - including girls who went to gaelscoil primary schools and are basically fluent.

It must be because your class doesn't have any experience in orals since you didn't do it before. In my school, we've been doing orals since first year and its worth a good 40% of the exam. Because of the amount of times we've done it, most people in my class get A's and a few get B's. To be honest though, if I was to start now and try to do it for the JC, I wouldn't be hopeful because it takes a lot of practise to get right.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Even the weakest classes where I taught did well on the oral. It's much easier prepare for than the written.

• Advertisement
Advertisement