Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Arcade and Retro Chat - Insert Coin -

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,325 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    You know what lads and lassies, sometimes it's not easy being a nurse :(
    Just throwing it out there.
    Hard day today.

I don't know how you do it dude, seriously has to be one of the toughest jobs out there. Fair play to you. At least you're actually doing some good and not just a wage slave drone.

Go chill out with a Bulmers and some Super Mario World. ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,645 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

o1s1n wrote: »
    I don't know how you do it dude, seriously has to be one of the toughest jobs out there. Fair play to you. At least you're actually doing some good and not just a wage slave drone.

Go chill out with a Bulmers and some Super Mario World. ;)

Just had the Bulmers.
    In again tomorrow for more!
    Plenty of paperwork to sort out now.
    Sad stuff.
    Do me a favour people.
    Don't smoke.
    Just don't.
    What I've been nursing over the past 8 months.
    Just trust me on this

Normal retro gaming services will resume tomorrow.

Streets of Rage and Golden Axe still suck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

Tch. I bet you like Final Fight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Just had the Bulmers.
    In again tomorrow for more!
    Plenty of paperwork to sort out now.
    Sad stuff.
    Do me a favour people.
    Don't smoke.
    Just don't.
    What I've been nursing over the past 8 months.
    Just trust me on this

Normal retro gaming services will resume tomorrow.

Halo and Repton still suck.

Bit more ammo for me to give up

Hard job you have and i think i have it bad as a barman

Hope i never have to see you in a professional manner

So Anyway

WHAT IS IT!!!!!!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,645 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Sparks43 wrote: »
    Bit more ammo for me to give up

Hard job you have and i think i have it bad as a barman

Hope i never have to see you in a professional manner

So Anyway

WHAT IS IT!!!!!!!!

A white hole

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

You may be going through a hard time, but don't think you're going to get away with the above :pac:

I had a quick play of both of them on the Aero recently. Was glorious!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Not to go too far off topic but yes I agree about smoking. What an absolute **** habit for someone to have! With all the proof we have now of how bad it is there is no excuse for anyone to start or continue to smoke

Golden axe is amazing by the way

Master of the Universe

I started smoking again this year after quitting years ago (I did have the odd sneaky one now and again). Some very stressful **** going on and unfortunately I picked up a packet at a particularly low point.

I've since switched over to a 0 nicotine vaporizer so hopefully that'll have me back off them again soon enough.

Although it's cola flavoured and I've a feeling I may be developing a new addition :eek:

Edit - Ciderdude almost had me convinced about Golden Axe. However after that recent playthrough I'm back to the 'it's great, I don't care what anyone says :D' camp.

Worth it for the music alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Uno my Uno.

Modder Rose Coloured Gaming is producing his own line of Handhelds to be launched later this year.

Linky

I can't decide if really want one or really hate it.

o1s1n wrote: »
    I started smoking again this year after quitting years ago (I did have the odd sneaky one now and again). Some very stressful **** going on and unfortunately I picked up a packet at a particularly low point.

I've since switched over to a 0 nicotine vaporizer so hopefully that'll have me back off them again soon enough.

Although it's cola flavoured and I've a feeling I may be developing a new addition :eek:

Edit - Ciderdude almost had me convinced about Golden Axe. However after that recent playthrough I'm back to the 'it's great, I don't care what anyone says :D' camp.

Worth it for the music alone.

Hope you do kick it dude. One of my friends smokes the whenever he calls over hes coughing up his lungs and its super frustrating to see!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Hope you do kick it dude. One of my friends smokes the whenever he calls over hes coughing up his lungs and its super frustrating to see!
    My dad was always like that, coughing and hacking, that was enough for me to not start. He's on a nebulizer now.
    It's strange, depressing ->
    my neighbours's 2nd anniversary is today, I remember when he got his oxygen tank for home and nebulizer, they called me over to show me and told me never to smoke (not that I ever wanted to, I said "if I'm spending money on gags I've no money for clothes!") , they were like my grandparents.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Maybe it sounds harsh but I have zero sympathy for smokers and any ailments they surfer from it. Such a disgusting habbit it, they have no respect for their own health or the impact it has on family members.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

I'm off the smokes a year in April. For me it was the amount of cash I've saved. Actually having money at the end of the month is great! Now I've had one or two while drunk but I'm happy as long as I'm not back on 20 a day. I do use an electric cig which as o1s1n said can be more addictive with all the flavours available!

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Maybe it sounds harsh but I have zero sympathy for smokers and any ailments they surfer from it. Such a disgusting habbit it, they have no respect for their own health or the impact it has on family members.

That's a bit simplistic, I have been on and off the smokes for the last 10 years and its not that straight forward. Aside from the fact that some people (myself included) find it immensely enjoyable they are incredibly addictive and so difficult to quit even if you desperately want to.
    I'm off the smokes a year in April. For me it was the amount of cash I've saved. Actually having money at the end of the month is great! Now I've had one or two while drunk but I'm happy as long as I'm not back on 20 a day. I do use an electric cig which as o1s1n said can be more addictive with all the flavours available!

I went the eCig route and haven't had a regular cigarette in nearly a year, vaping is much more enjoyable!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

I really need to kick my 5 a day Amiibo habit!

Everyone always goes on about cravings when they give up fags and im sorry but that is absolute bollox.

Ask anyone who eats clean about giving up sugar or caffeine. It's rotton and very tough but it can be done. If you just have a strong mind and will power you can go cold turkey on any addictive substance. I just have no sympathy for people who say they "Cant" do something that is really simple to do, very tough but simple.

And the "I only smoke when I drink" argument is possibly the wprst excuse for anything ever

This coming from someone who gives up pretty much everything bad when I start training for a competitive season. No junk, no sugar, No drink etc. Start it off with a 7 day detox that will be the worst week of your life of you're fond of pizzas and sweets, which I am haha

Everyone always goes on about cravings when they give up fags and im sorry but that is absolute bollox.

Ask anyone who eats clean about giving up sugar or caffeine. It's rotton and very tough but it can be done. If you just have a strong mind and will power you can go cold turkey on any addictive substance. I just have no sympathy for people who say they "Cant" do something that is really simple to do, very tough but simple.

And the "I only smoke when I drink" argument is possibly the worst excuse for anything ever

Apologies for taking this further off Topic but unless you have been a smoker and tried giving it up you haven't a clue what you are talking about, you couldn't because there is nothing like it.

I have over the years given up smoking, caffeine and sugar (not all at the same time thankfully) and I can tell you that caffeine and sugar, whilst challenging, were nowhere near as tough to quit as smoking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭BGOllie

my two cents: I found giving up coffee much harder than giving up cigarettes.
    The nicotine cravings don't last for long and are manageable and I found I could get my mind off it by doing sth else, but the coffee... oh boy! and the headaches caffeine withdrawal gave me were unreal. my worse handover doesn't even come close.

Me in Gamestop:

2XL01iy.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Tomo.Murphy

Cigarettes are one thing I'm glad I never touched. I've seen too many people left in a bad way from them. At one stage one of my uncles was a lifeguard and a swimmer. Now he can barely walk from his car to his front door.

Best of luck to anyone who is quitting though. It can't be easy

I stopped drinking when I was 19 and joined the gym. Ended up losing 8 stone. Never bothered with that again, ha.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Haven't played golden axe in years, off the smokes about 19months now, never felt better, I had a chest x-ray about 6months after I quit and was so scary, after that I decided I was never smoking again, everyone in works on them vaporisers, they all prefer them to real cigarettes.

Master of the Universe

Haven't played golden axe in years, off the smokes about 19months now, never felt better, I had a chest x-ray about 6months after I quit and was so scary, after that I decided I was never smoking again, everyone in works on them vaporisers, they all prefer them to real cigarettes.

The 'e-cigarette' yolks are absolute balls, but the proper vaporizers are fantastic. It's really really enjoyable too. You don't stink, doesn't give you a chest infection, you can actually exercise again without passing out... and you can use them in pubs :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Jeez folks, I'd have to agree with Uno about the smoking here, some of ye have a very simplified viewpoint on it. Yes it's a disgusting habit, & one that's becoming less socially acceptable as time goes on. But you can't downplay the powerfully addictive nature of nicotine. Just because one person might have the discipline to break the habit, doesn't mean everyone can. I don't harp on about the fact I lost nearly 4 stone in 4 months, & just because I done it, then there's no excuse for others to do the same. Different people have very different variables in their lives, & different ways of doing things.

Most smokers today became smokers when smoking was very much socially acceptable, and actively advertised and promoted all through society and the media. Cigarette smoking was promoted as a 'hip' & cool thing to do, & when the medical effects were much lesser known. To expect these people to just quit because societal attitudes have changed is incredibly naive, and short sighted. Yes we're more aware of the health effects these days, & yes there are better supports in place for people to quit, but to make out that people are either weak or strong is a flawed viewpoint on it. We've all led different lives, & we're all unique...people shouldn't hold everyone to their own standards.

Passive smoke should be all but eliminated now, unless you're unfortunate enough to be walking behind someone in the street who is smoking. But why stop there? Why not berate alcoholics, or obese people? They impact on society too don't they, they cost the state money & drive up the costs of medical care don't they? Or is it just the 'in' thing to do, & forget about those & focus on smokers? For the record, I don't smoke, I hate the stuff. I know one or two smokers though, & I understand that they became smokers in a different era, when it was acceptable, & promoted. I also understand the effects of nicotine addiction, & don't down play them. And I also don't hold those people to different standards, people are people, & they're all different. Just because one person has the strength to break certain habits, doesn't mean others do.

/rant. Sorry :o

I have nursed those with lung cancer, and watched colleagues who assisted declaring how awful it was while sucking a John Player Blue down.
    Giving up is not easy.
    It's the people that start that start me head scratching.

And I was in that situation a couple of years ago and yesterday
    However difficult you imagine or know giving up fags is, you should probably consider what I've been seeing and managing in the last few weeks and appreciate that anything is easier than that.

But hey!

Good Mythical Gaming!

A week til the New 3DS!

Let's talk about that....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭STG.Otaku

Apologies for taking this further off Topic but unless you have been a smoker and tried giving it up you haven't a clue what you are talking about, you couldn't because there is nothing like it.

I have over the years given up smoking, caffeine and sugar (not all at the same time thankfully) and I can tell you that caffeine and sugar, whilst challenging, were nowhere near as tough to quit as smoking.

Nonsense. It's a brainwash. A headmelt. The tobacco industry sweeps it aside but is in league with big pharma to put across the message that it is difficult to give up. That way, both industries get their cashflow. Half on tobacco products and vaping etc, the other on cessation products.

I used to be a heavy smoker. Gave up for a good while using the Alan Carr book. Fell off the wagon for varying reasons.

Last Summer when the good woman announced a bun was in the oven I made a vow to kick the habit for the sake of the newborn. I was best man at a wedding a few weeks after the news came so wasn't in the frame of mind to quit but I said I would after that.

The wedding was in August last year, the day after the wedding I have not had one since. I immediately switched to vaping. About 3 weeks in it got boring and annoying when the tank would continue to leak, even with some decent steel yokes I bought in from abroad.

It got boring quickly. I threw the lot in the bin. Haven't had any cigs or vaping since. Don't even miss it at all. Even the thought of it now makes me feel sick.

Sincerely,

A bloke who smoked for many years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭safetyboy

I never smoked thank god, my whole family does and I couldn'tt stay in the gaff for more than 10 mins until my Ma near died from them before xmas, the rest of the family have stopped now except my Da who only smokes out in the back garden now, Filthy habit.

So where do I get a Majora's Mask 3DSXL? will amazon be the best bet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

safetyboy wrote: »
    I.

I think Amazon.fr had the best deal iirc.

Rather than quote both Uno & Myrddin's posts, which reference mine - my view isn't simplistic at all, but we can agree to disagree. :)

I'm no expert on the history of the cigarette industry but surely the dangers of smoking have been known for a long time now? Surely before we were kids anyway (say the 80s as an example, the 40s in Cidey's case :P). I can't imagine adults taking up smoking these days are not aware of the dangers - and if pressure from society or the media gets them started - more fool them as that's just an excuse.

Of course giving up anything addictive is a difficult thing to do - but nobody was forced to take it up in the first place and nobody (apart from folks a long time ago) would have been unaware of the dangers.

Obesity and alcoholism would definitely take the discussion far far away from retro games. :D

safetyboy wrote: »

About €30 cheaper in Gamestop believe it or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭safetyboy

Is that with the console as well? Cant seem to preorder online?

http://www.gamestop.ie/Nintendo%203DS/Games/49860/new-nintendo-3ds-xl-the-legend-of-zelda-majoras-mask

Is the charger just a micro USB or another different DS one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

It must be sold out, I preordered a while back from there at 5 euro deposit and collect from store.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,894 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Guys, forget about giving up the fags for your health.
    Think about the plastics on your consoles and collectibles :)

STG.Otaku wrote: »
    Nonsense. It's a brainwash. A headmelt. The tobacco industry sweeps it aside but is in league with big pharma to put across the message that it is difficult to give up.

So people fail to quit because they've been brainwashed to think it's difficult to do? Dude, seriously?
    Andrew76 wrote: »
    I'm no expert on the history of the cigarette industry but surely the dangers of smoking have been known for a long time now? Surely before we were kids anyway (say the 80s as an example, the 40s in Cidey's case :P). I can't imagine adults taking up smoking these days are not aware of the dangers - and if pressure from society or the media gets them started - more fool them as that's just an excuse.

I guess I had the long term smokers in mind, not the fools who start today. So yeah, I'd agree with your take on it there. But to be fair to the long termers, I do maintain the point that in bygone eras (the 80's and prior), the message about smoking was very different to today. Yes there were some health risks known, but it wasn't a message that was drilled home and instead, was left to here say. Today we've ads on the tv, messages on the smoking boxes, the internet, radio....the message is everywhere today, don't smoke. Societal attitudes have swayed today too, in the 80's there were Snooker players playing live on tv while drinking & smoking, along with tobacco sponsorship of the event itself for example. I've no sympathy for those who took up smoking recently, there literally is no excuse to do so.
    Of course giving up anything addictive is a difficult thing to do - but nobody was forced to take it up in the first place and nobody (apart from folks a long time ago) would have been unaware of the dangers.

Obesity and alcoholism would definitely take the discussion far far away from retro games. :D

I guess I just feel it's sort of hippocratic (not you by any means, but society as a whole)...there are people berating smokers, while these same people drink their guts full, or eat their guts full. Also bad for you, & affects others :)

But anyway, cidey, you're so wrong I have to question your merits here. Are you a charlatan posing as a retro game enthusiast? How could a mod of a retro gaming forum not like SoR :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Anyone looking for LoZMM it's £70 with a Link Nendroid and tee on Rice Digital http://www.ricedigital.co.uk/store/legend-of-zelda-majoras-mask-3d-triforce-3ds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Myrddin wrote: »
    I guess I just feel it's sort of hippocratic (not you by any means, but society as a whole)...there are people berating smokers, while these same people drink their guts full, or eat their guts full. Also bad for you, & affects others :)

But anyway, cidey, you're so wrong I have to question your merits here. Are you a charlatan posing as a retro game enthusiast? How could a mod of a retro gaming forum not like SoR :D
    But eating and consuming alcohol in moderation isn't bad for you though.

I do agree with you though giving up smoking is more difficult for some than others, I smoked for 20years and managed to give them up pretty easily.
    My grandad smoked very heavily from the age of 12 until he got bowel cancer at 80, went in for an op and never touched a cigarette again, he passed away about 10years later(nothing to do with smoking miraculously)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,093 ✭✭✭Doge

But if people didnt smoke we wouldnt have those delightful Taito ashtrays for cabs! :pac:

Well, its worked so far!
    No one has noticed that I'm hopeless at games and only turn them on for the pretty lights on the telly box.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have lie down, I forgot to take my tablets this morning...

I like purple and sunshine.

Raspberries are good for happiness.

Look a bee!

So people fail to quit because they've been brainwashed to think it's difficult to do? Dude, seriously?

To a degree yes. As an example, how many ad's do you see for cessation products where it's claimed giving up smoking is easy? How many WHO reports, news articles, blogs, tweets and so on and so forth are published that claim giving up smoking is easy?

Few to none.

It is in part because we've always been told it's difficult to give up smoking. That message is reinforced by the media and by big pharma. Sure, big pharma gives the impression that cessation will work wonders. Gum, spray, hypnotherapy, patches, Zyban and so on. It's a massive market driven by big pharma to make big money. If it works, great for the consumer. If it doesn't, it's more money to line the pockets of the pharmaceutical giants. And if folks fall off the wagon, it's money poured back in to tobacco companies coffers, or to the vaping traders (who appear to be being bought up or muscled out by tobacco companies at a rapid rate).

I'm not saying the entire deal is down to brainwashing, apologies if I came across as doing so. But in my opinion it is a massive contributing factor. For me, once that realisation became mental clarity, and that I realised the only good thing about smoking is nothing, I just switched off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Gum, spray, hypnotherapy, patches, Zyban and so on.

Pretty sure hypnotherapy does nothing to like the pockets of pharmaceutical companies...

Addictions are different for everyone. Some people find it easy, some find it hard. The more motivation there is to quit, along with a genuine desire to do so, the easier it is.

To a degree yes. As an example, how many ad's do you see for cessation products where it's claimed giving up smoking is easy? How many WHO reports, news articles, blogs, tweets and so on and so forth are published that claim giving up smoking is easy?

Few to none.

It is in part because we've always been told it's difficult to give up smoking. That message is reinforced by the media and by big pharma. Sure, big pharma gives the impression that cessation will work wonders. Gum, spray, hypnotherapy, patches, Zyban and so on. It's a massive market driven by big pharma to make big money. If it works, great for the consumer. If it doesn't, it's more money to line the pockets of the pharmaceutical giants. And if folks fall off the wagon, it's money poured back in to tobacco companies coffers, or to the vaping traders (who appear to be being bought up or muscled out by tobacco companies at a rapid rate).

I'm not saying the entire deal is down to brainwashing, apologies if I came across as doing so. But in my opinion it is a massive contributing factor. For me, once that realisation became mental clarity, and that I realised the only good thing about smoking is nothing, I just switched off.

I put that down to the fact that it's not easy to give up, unless certain conditions are met. I hear what you're saying, & it's an interesting point, I don't think I could quite stretch that far though. I'd be a believer in big pharma agendas, and a believer in the tobacco industry having strong marketing influence....but they'd be competing against each other if there was a darker side to all this, not playing off one another. Surely if big pharma were out to make money from smokers, there'd be a sure fire product on the market now that could do the trick & make people quit...& it'd cost a lot too. But there isn't. Nicotine, along with other muck that gets put into cigarettes, is highly addictive.
    Star Lord wrote: »
    Addictions are different for everyone. Some people find it easy, some find it hard. The more motivation there is to quit, along with a genuine desire to do so, the easier it is.

Agreed, & my own story holds true with this. I needed to lose weight, badly. I was 5'11 & as near as makes no difference to 16 stone this time last year. I'd go as far as to say I had an addiction, and it was sugar/food. Around August last year, I began the weight loss process. By mid December just gone, I was 12 stone on the button. The guts of four stone gone in a very short space of time, & not as a result of some fad crash diet.

Was it easy? Honestly, yes, it was. I still wake up every day & hope it wasn't all a dream! The weight fell off me, & I had previously been set for the long haul. But it'd be incredibly wrong of me to assume just because I found it easy, that everyone would find it so. I'm not everyone, & everyone isn't me. I put my success down simply to having a eureka moment, a few months before I started my weight loss. I realised the damage I was doing, I realised where I was heading (diabetes land no doubt), and realised that I needed to accept that changes had to be made. I then set about educating myself about weight loss, & eventually the penny dropped about calorific intake & daily calorific requirements. Calculating my daily requirements, Very, very simple. Before that I was confuddled from all the jargon, the plans, the diets, the marketing & business that is weight loss.

So basically I was ready to sort myself out. Smokers, or any addicts, need also to be in that place, where they are ready to make changes & have accepted so. You can't just decide to quit, & that's I'd imagine those of you who did quit were similarly 'ready' and had that eureka moment at some stage too.

Anyway, what the hell are we talking about at this stage :D I thought the Spiderman stuff was bad! :o

• Advertisement

I agree with your point on weight loss. Every time I log in to Facebook some slimmer or the week is telling people about their fad diet and how they have no excuses because they lost a pound or two. Yet here I am 8 stone lighter and I somehow manage not to rub it in people's faces. Some people think they have to put up their before and after picture every couple of months just to remind people of what they did. I didn't even take one, ha.

I made such little fuss about it that people I had known for the best part of ten years would pass me in the street without even realising it was me.

Surely if big pharma were out to make money from smokers, there'd be a sure fire product on the market now that could do the trick & make people quit...& it'd cost a lot too. But there isn't.

But that's just it, there probably could be a product developed to facilitate this. Heck, there probably already has been. That's the brilliant part of it all though. Why put out a solution when there is money to be made from tobacco, cessation products, government revenue and so on.

Then there are the pies that tobacco companies have their fingers wedged in to. Phillip Morris for example, owns Nabisco, General Foods, various vinyards and wine brands and so on. Too much business to lose, to much revenue to lose.

And then there is big pharma. This, unrelated as such, but just in, for example:

http://www.naturalnews.com/048522_measles_outbreak_vaccine_hysteria_science_fraud.html

I do hear what you are saying too, and agree to a certain extent. A solid mindtstate is required in part, it would appear the candidate choosing to quit needs to discover their trigger though in order to do it, and succeed. I think though it's suffocated by the fact we're brainwashed in to believing it's difficult to quit.

EDIT: Here's another beauty from Glaxo. Why bother making a fraudulent Flu jab? Because there is a few quid to be made.

http://www.naturalnews.com/048422_flu_shot_scientific_fraud_controlled_trials.html

Smokers, hyper obese and people who need to drink to function socially are all painted with the same brush in my mind. I love a good stout every now and again but im talking about shots of tequila with lunch

But realistically I really dont give a whirl what other people do. Same way people shouldn't really care what I do. Persons body is theirs and if they choose to destroy it thats their choice.

It does annoy me to see friends and stuff smoking because they are my friends and I want them around for a long time. But who am I to judge somkers, I do stupid things aswell. Nobody is perfect and everyone has a vice.

My vice is spending four figure sums on plywood and wires....and I love it!

Hmmm, I think I'll keep my non-drinker views on alcohol to myself. :pac:
    Agreed, & my own story holds true with this. I needed to lose weight, badly. I was 5'11 & as near as makes no difference to 16 stone this time last year. I'd go as far as to say I had an addiction, and it was sugar/food. Around August last year, I began the weight loss process. By mid December just gone, I was 12 stone on the button. The guts of four stone gone in a very short space of time, & not as a result of some fad crash diet.

That's great news man, fair play to you. The young lad needs his dad around for a long while yet. :)

Same to you Tomo.Murphy, congrats on the weight loss.

I've been on a healthier lifestyle for the last year or so too (after a 15 yr break! :pac:), it's an awful lot harder to do now than back in my 20s, especially to keep the motivation going. But to be honest, if the only hard decisions to make are deciding not to order a takeaway and eat something healthier or deciding not to sit on my ass and go do some exercise, then it's really not that hard of a thing to do in the grand scheme of things. Plenty of folks out there with much harder lives to live.

Anyway, I have the house to myself for a change, thinking I'll fire up the cab. Can't even remember what game I have in it atm. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

Was it easy? Honestly, yes, it was. I still wake up every day & hope it wasn't all a dream! The weight fell off me, & I had previously been set for the long haul. But it'd be incredibly wrong of me to assume just because I found it easy, that everyone would find it so. I'm not everyone, & everyone isn't me. I put my success down simply to having a eureka moment, a few months before I started my weight loss. I realised the damage I was doing, I realised where I was heading (diabetes land no doubt), and realised that I needed to accept that changes had to be made. I then set about educating myself about weight loss, & eventually the penny dropped about calorific intake & daily calorific requirements. Calculating my daily requirements, Very, very simple. Before that I was confuddled from all the jargon, the plans, the diets, the marketing & business that is weight loss.

Fair play to you Fella. I don't know why but I feel I want to applaud you for a) your achievement and b) your respect for others. Well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

Not to drag this further off topic but with talk of healthier lifestyles and gaming combined I want to throw this up here:
    http://www.parkrun.ie/events/

If you haven't heard of this, these are FREE weekly (every Saturday morning at 9:30am) 5k community based runs. It's free to sign up and once you do you're sent a barcode. At the end of each run you do, your result is scanned and time logged. Over time, those with mindsets like our own give this system a bit of gamification in the hope of getting a better time/ higher score. The quest for a better time makes it easier for one to find motivation for exercise etc...

This is not a competitive organisation and there is never any pressure to do "better" but if you want to push yourself, it's easily done.

I do know that this if off the topic of the already off topic so sorry if this is a hassle but I thought it worth posting in case someone found it of interest.

Thanks! I must look in to that. I keep saying I'll do something like that to see how I get on. I must stop procrastinating. . . Ah it can wait until tomorrow

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,807 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

As a non-drinker and non-smoker, I find the biggest benefit (health issues aside) is having much more money to spend on worthwhile things, like videogames I'll never get around to playing and pointless plastic collectibles.

As a non-drinker and non-smoker, I find the biggest benefit (health issues aside) is having much more money to spend on worthwhile things, like videogames I'll never get around to playing and pointless plastic collectibles.

Probpoly the main reason I stopped drinking aswell. I was amazed at how much money I suddenly had. Then I just got out of the habit of it and now I only have about 2 pints of something really nice every now and again.

Now I cant justify to myself spending any ammount of money over a tener on drink and, literally, piss It away. Thats just just me though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Los Lobos

Well I'll be sipping on tins and cranking a doob tonight. To each their own!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement