Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Arcade and Retro Chat - Insert Coin -

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Tomo.Murphy

The two caps that died in one of the TVs were 2200uf 10v. Should I replace them with the same or does the fact that they blew mean they were under-rated for the TV and something like 16v would be better?

No same uf but as long as they are same or higher voltage it'll be grand.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Seems Kirby Rainbow Curse is amazing. Remind me why I even bought a PS4?

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/kirby-and-the-rainbow-curse-wii-u-review-roller-games

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

look what has turned up in the Ninty Star Catalogue

http://stars.nintendo-europe.com/products/super-mario-hat-127

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,652 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Retr0gamer wrote: »

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/kirby-and-the-rainbow-curse-wii-u-review-roller-games

Can't wait for another chance to play a new Kirby game, must make my way through the GBA games while I wait!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,832 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Remind me why I even bought a PS4?

Bloodborne. Soon. Patience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

And it supports my Kirby Amiibos!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Bloodborne. Soon. Patience.

Do we need another Dark Souls though? Or is Bloodborne wildly different?

I'll only fork out for a PS4 when The Last Guardian comes out. When. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Do we need another Dark Souls though? Or is Bloodborne wildly different?

I'll only fork out for a PS4 when The Last Guardian comes out. When. :)

I'm waiting till Witcher 3 makes an appearance.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

I'm waiting till Witcher 3 makes an appearance.

I'll stick to getting the PC version down the line when I upgrade to a DX11 graphics card. Coincidently enough I re-installed The Witcher 2 at the weekend, I had only played an hour or two of it previously, but I never remembered doing a tutorial at the start before. :confused:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Do we need another Dark Souls though?

As Dark Souls 2 proved, even a Dark Souls game half as good as the original is still better than any of the rest of the triple A dreck released recently. So yeah I'd love another Dark Souls. BloodBourne though does seem to be taking things in a different direction with combat more heavily focused on dodging and offense than combat and it's a different franchise to Dark Souls.

Shane Battenhausen posted this, it's the sticker from the front of the 3DO version of Wolfenstein. Hit movie indeed:

Aira-wVEeMjS6YTPV4JDHVvwbBBgKp8ix60i7tbeGQDOm54pZ9jCqDVzWRGBquoOFwZvDkcY8ZeXBs93GtE6zBmcKEUImq1X68zBYA=s0-d-e1-ft#https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B-JouP7CIAA71Ys.jpg:medium

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,652 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

It's not that 3DO owners have questionable judgement or anything.
    Its the CDi owners you'd want to be careful of, deluded fools....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

I'll stick to getting the PC version down the line when I upgrade to a DX11 graphics card. Coincidently enough I re-installed The Witcher 2 at the weekend, I had only played an hour or two of it previously, but I never remembered doing a tutorial at the start before. :confused:

Think that was added for the xbox 360 version and then patched into the PC version.

I really enjoyed Witcher 2... had a real Game of Thrones vibe. And the impacts of your decisions seemed to be handled a lot more subtly than the hamfistedness of Bioware games.

Where is the best place to get replacement Gameboy save batteries and a screwdriver to open the cart?

My Pokemon Gold battery has been dead for 9+ years and I'd imagine the Red battery isn't far behind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Where is the best place to get replacement Gameboy save batteries and a screwdriver to open the cart?

My Pokemon Gold battery has been dead for 9+ years and I'd imagine the Red battery isn't far behind.

eBay probably. You can get the batteries in a jewellers or maybe even somewhere like dealz.

Batteries: http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=290423351157

Screwdriver: http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=251590138833

I have a few lying around from the likes of my kitchen scales and fixing some watches, but I thought the Gameboy batteries were CR2025. Will either work?

I have a few lying around from the likes of my kitchen scales and fixing some watches, but I thought the Gameboy batteries were CR2025. Will either work?

I think you can use either. It's been years since I changed the battery in my Pokemon gold but I'm nearly sure I used a 2032

Thanks. I'll see what I have lying around the house before I decide. If I can't find any I may just go for the tabbed ones and do it properly.

I'd assume Gold being dead for so long is down to the battery running both the save and the clock features?

Thanks. I'll see what I have lying around the house before I decide. If I can't find any I may just go for the tabbed ones and do it properly.

I'd assume Gold being dead for so long is down to the battery running both the save and the clock features?

Yep, hence why most G/S/C Batteries are dead now and the previous games are still saving.

The way I did it was just to pry off the battery from the existing tabs, keeping them intact, and taped in the new battery. Also means that it's just a matter of taking the tape off should they need to be replaced again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭BGOllie

lol ... just been told by a 25 year old on adverts PMs that I'm too old to understand "retrogaming" :)

It's friday and I'm bored so I'm going to entertain this little line of thought of his for a while, to see where it goes.

I could understand someone being too young to understand retro gaming, but that's a head scratcher....

How can you be too old to understand something that is also old?

I worry about my generation sometimes...

I could understand someone being too young to understand retro gaming, but that's a head scratcher....

How can you be too old to understand something that is also old?

I worry about my generation sometimes...

I'd hazard a guess at a young fella charging well over the odds on a retrogame and then getting annoyed when informed of the more realistic price. However young fella saw that a NES game sold for 40,000 dollars last year and therefore knows all about retrogames and prices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,105 ✭✭✭Doge

LongZ wrote: »
    lol ... just been told by a 25 year old on adverts PMs that I'm too old to understand "retrogaming" :)

It's friday and I'm bored so I'm going to entertain this little line of thought of his for a while, to see where it goes.

25233742.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

If you read 10 racketboy articles you become fully qualified in retro gaming

Fixed one of them :-D

LongZ wrote: »

Link to the ad or gtfo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Will just leave this here.

I am 100% not affiliated with One Direction

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭dinky earnshaw

I'm looking for ideas a marquee light. Ideally to power up with everything else from one button. Any help would be much appreciated.

http://m.ebay.ie/itm/281601922352?nav=SEARCH

I'd assume that's fake? [Not buying it for the record, just doing a bit of browsing :-)]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Fixed one of them :-D

Ah well done man! you must be so proud with it! how did you find working on it? Was it a walk in the park or painfully difficult? Either way, you did it!

I'm looking into getting a soldering iron, 15w as some of you recommend to start with, but there are so many to pick from, what one should I go with and what else (besides plasters) should I get?

Was gonna order from Amazon as want to get this also http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B003ZWKEYW/ref=s9_simh_gw_d1_g60_i1?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=mobile-1&pf_rd_r=1KXZVFE74CR1GZHKAWZT&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=507564347&pf_rd_i=mobile save on postage over all.

I have an old ds that the gba and ds slots wouldn't read at all, some compressed air and the gba slot works, but the ds slot doesn't so, I ordered me a new shell and gonna open it up and try figure out what the problem is, take it from there.

http://m.ebay.ie/itm/281601922352?nav=SEARCH

I'd assume that's fake? [Not buying it for the record, just doing a bit of browsing :-)]

Very fake. Straight away the cart is the wrong colour.

Ah well done man! you must be so proud with it! how did you find working on it? Was it a walk in the park or painfully difficult? Either way, you did it!

I'm looking into getting a soldering iron, 15w as some of you recommend to start with, but there are so many to pick from, what one should I go with and what else (besides plasters) should I get?

Taking it apart was much more painful, ha. The power board and A/V board were connected by pins, and the A/V board was connected to the screen by a ribbon cable. I had planned to just flip the lot over so that I wouldn't have to take too much of it apart, but I figured it out after a couple of minutes. I found de-soldering a little tricky. At first it was like the solder wouldn't budge, even with the de-soldering wick, but I got there in the end. Took the two capacitors out, put the new ones in their place and had them soldered in to place and the legs clipped in a matter of seconds. Really happy with it. My cousin stopped in after work while I was doing it, so in the end I had an audience of people who didn't think I'd get it running, ha.

Radionics have a 15w Antex kit somewhere around the €30 range. It comes with the stand and sponge that Maplins sell for €15 or so on its own.

Very fake. Straight away the cart is the wrong colour.

Yep, that's what I thought. I knew the PAL and American were either Red or Blue plastic, but I thought some had grey plastic carts too (maybe just the Japanese ones?)

Seems like a lot of money for someone to pay for an obvious fake?

Yep, that's what I thought. I knew the PAL and American were either Red or Blue plastic, but I thought some had grey plastic carts too (maybe just the Japanese ones?)

Seems like a lot of money for someone to pay for an obvious fake?

Yeah the Japanese versions have grey cartridges.

Maybe the person who bought it didn't know its fake?

I'd certainly hope so. I'd report it if I could find the report function on my phone browser... In fact I've been looking for it for so long I'm not sure it exists, ha.

Does anyone know how long shipping within Ireland takes?

Bought something on ebay from a guy in Offaly and he just messaged me to let me know he shipped it this morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Does anyone know how long shipping within Ireland takes?

Bought something on ebay from a guy in Offaly and he just messaged me to let me know he shipped it this morning.

Regular An Post and you should have it tommorow assuming the post office have it before 4pm today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Regular An Post and you should have it tommorow assuming the post office have it before 4pm today.
    Here's it's 4.30 but should be tomorrow all going well, if it's after the collection time it won't go til the following day.

• Advertisement

Thanks! Looking forward to it now :-D

Picked up a Gameboy Colour bundled with Pokemon red and a case over the weekend for €10.50 and €3 shipping (sellers pic)

One of the few Gameboys I didn't own!

Sonic Xtreme demo has been released for PC. It's mostly an engine test but it's a source port so very faithful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Mornin'

Pie-Chart-14.jpg?7c7c13

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

Polygon just recently uploaded this.

Polygon just recently uploaded this.

I'll see your TV show and raise you this!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I'll see your TV show and raise you this!
    YO! I gave that video 5 G's!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭moonlighting

anyone ever hear of sonic-x-treme

http://www.wired.com/2015/02/sonic-x-treme/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,105 ✭✭✭Doge

Theres something really frustrating at seeing sonic miss at all those rings!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement