Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Arcade and Retro Chat - Insert Coin -

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,105 ✭✭✭Doge

This is pretty crazy, the PSP emulator PPSSPP has being modded to allow VR support!

It allows you to pan the in game camera using head tracking and it features true stereoscopic 3D!

https://vrwiki.wikispaces.com/PPSSPP+VR

Also theres Dolphin VR which emulates the Nintendo Gamecube and Wii U and i think it has true stereoscopic 3D also:

And heres one for ciderman, it even seems to support Metroid Prime. I think its time you built that gaming PC now! ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,652 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The idea of Metroid Prime in VR is a dream come true, and because the game is that bit slower paced than most first person titles, it's ideally suited to the format.
    Just a pity there isn't a VR headset for the Switch.... not yet...
    Perhaps a Google Cardboard headset is in order!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,245 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Doge wrote: »
    This is pretty crazy, the PSP emulator PPSSPP has being modded to allow VR support!

It allows you to pan the in game camera using head tracking and it features true stereoscopic 3D!

https://vrwiki.wikispaces.com/PPSSPP+VR

Also theres Dolphin VR which emulates the Nintendo Gamecube and Wii U and i think it has true stereoscopic 3D also:

And heres one for ciderman, it even seems to support Metroid Prime. I think its time you built that gaming PC now! ;)

Damn... I think I'll give DolphinVR a go later on with Metal Gear: Twin Snakes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Damn, now I want a VR headset...

(and that my pc was powerful enough to run one!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,106 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

So this is probably even more niche than the niche things I occasionally post.

A huge academic paper on the creation of The Hobbit adventure game on 8 bit computers. Needs a tl;dr but it's actually very interesting.

There and Back Again: A Case History of Writing The Hobbit – Veronika M. Megler
    http://refractory.unimelb.edu.au/2016/08/30/vmegler/

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,387 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

God damn it, thought I had a PVM 2130QM I've been after for ages in the bag last night on ebay. Northern Ireland seller, local pickup only, only one bidder for the whole time it was listed. Pretty terrible photos too. Seller had a friend who travels to Dublin and was going to drop it to me. Done and dusted, new monitor for me!

Last 10 seconds it was on £70 so I threw in a max proxy bid of £150 in the assured knowledge I was going to get it.

Went for £190 in the end :eek: (not to me!)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sony-PVM-2130QM-CRT-Monitor-for-Gaming-and-Broadcast/132526641537?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,652 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

o1s1n wrote: »
    God damn it, thought I had a PVM 2130QM I've been after for ages in the bag last night on ebay. Northern Ireland seller, local pickup only, only one bidder for the whole time it was listed. Pretty terrible photos too. Seller had a friend who travels to Dublin and was going to drop it to me. Done and dusted, new monitor for me!

Last 10 seconds it was on £70 so I threw in a max proxy bid of £150 in the assured knowledge I was going to get it.

Went for £190 in the end :eek: (not to me!)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sony-PVM-2130QM-CRT-Monitor-for-Gaming-and-Broadcast/132526641537?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

I'm sure you felt like this

Master of the Universe

So I was on ebay looking for a cheap AES game to buy to test out my console. I thought I'd pick up a jap Samurai Spirits II as it's one of the best Neo games and also one of the cheapest.

'Sure I'll see if I can find a PAL version first'

- o1s1n ebay searches Samurai Showdown II

Did you mean Samurai Shodown II?

Yeah, turns out I've been spelling the name of the game incorrectly for 25 years.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I think I only corrected myself 5 years ago so not the only one :D

Turns out I was spelling SoR wrong for years.
    It is actually spelled "Sh1tes of Rage"... go figure....

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Sh1tes of Rage? Isn't that what you play the morning after a heavy night of Guinness? :pac:

Sh1tes of Rage? Isn't that what you play the morning after a heavy night of Guinness? :pac:

As a nurse this seems apt

believe.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,106 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    As a nurse this seems apt

believe.gif

Amen.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Starting to look pretty likely that the new From Software game is a successor to Kuon.

The price on the original is going to go even more crazy, isn't it?

Never heard of Kuon before. Is it any good?

Master of the Universe

DinoRex wrote: »
    Starting to look pretty likely that the new From Software game is a successor to Kuon.

I really enjoyed watching you guys play that at a beers a couple of years ago, been on my list since then! Might see if I can buy it now in case it goes up in price anymore.

Master of the Universe

Argh, found a European BIN copy in Germany and got it for 40 euro - THEN ebay tells me he doesn't ship to Ireland/the UK.

Have asked him for an exception now, fingers crossed..would love to give it a go.

edit - got it! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

DinoRex wrote: »

Is it? I think I got it for e20 and Ciderman got it too but I might be wrong. I saw trailers for it when it was coming out. Pretty tough when I played it

Is it? I think I got it for e20 and Ciderman got it too but I might be wrong. I saw trailers for it when it was coming out. Pretty tough when I played it

Yeah, I had it then sold it on for around €100 or so, some mad money for PS2 games out there.
    And yet, really really good ones like Transformers and Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe go for pennies.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Yeah, I had it then sold it on for around €100 or so, some mad money for PS2 games out there.
    And yet, really really good ones like Transformers and Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe go for pennies.
    It's mad, sure RoR is the same, can't believe I turned down getting it at 60. Think I'll just get the Japanese version no way I'm paying that money.
    I saw Persona 3 for e70 in Cex last week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭wheresmahbombs

I got a new copy of Wind Waker HD for around the same price as (or possibly less than) what I paid for a used GC version in CeX, which BTW had a fake case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

It's pretty tough from what I've played of it, but you can definitely see how it was a precursor to Demon's Souls, especially in the way you equip magic and items.

So I was on ebay looking for a cheap AES game to buy to test out my console. I thought I'd pick up a jap Samurai Spirits II as it's one of the best Neo games and also one of the cheapest.

'Sure I'll see if I can find a PAL version first'

- o1s1n ebay searches Samurai Showdown II

Did you mean Samurai Shodown II?

Yeah, turns out I've been spelling the name of the game incorrectly for 25 years.

Don't feel so bad, the Japanese have been mispelling their own arcade games for years!

contcirc.png

He's in a few SMT games this is 4 Final / Apocalypse
    (never knew he was a DLC boss in it too)
    65jf1ad.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,602 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Don't feel so bad, the Japanese have been mispelling their own arcade games for years!

contcirc.png

i-understand-that-reference-gif-4.gif

So V-Rally is making a suprise comeback for its 4th game and looks beautiful!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Looking for Kuon right now on eBay.

I'm really going to have to bulk up my PS2 collection. Had an alright day with Paddy Power today. Turned €3.50 into €76.00 so might treat myself to Kuon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Burzum

Going to buy a game bundle and the seller wants to be paid via bank transfer, If he doesnt end up sending on the items do I have comeback with my bank to get my money back?

So, I wired my Spice GC into my existing GC setup and got a crappy grey/green image.
    My Pal RGB cable is not playing nice with the NTSC GC and the monitor.
    @rse

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Burzum wrote: »
    Going to buy a game bundle and the seller wants to be paid via bank transfer, If he doesnt end up sending on the items do I have comeback with my bank to get my money back?

I don't think so, be wary!

Burzum wrote: »

Don't do this!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Burzum

Thanks guys, persuaded him to set up a paypal and paid via goods/services so if it does turn out dodgy atleast I have some comeback with paypal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,894 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Decided to print a handy Switch accessory for the weekend that was :)

Fd9gC08.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Orchard thieves though. Really?

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Orchard thieves though. Really?

It’s all that was left for the pic. It was that or a can of monster :)

Edit:
    Although I will admit to having a few cans of it. It’s not so bad, very light, like a soft drink or glass of water :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,780 ✭✭✭Inviere

Nowt wrong with a can or two of Orchard Thieves (preferably bottled though, and two is enough as its very sweet).

Master of the Universe

Cider? Plebeians - I only drink the finest wines known to man.

4916523.jpg

Cider? Plebeians - I only drink the finest wines known to man.

4916523.jpg

You've a pantry to store your wine in too yeah? :D Can't palette white wine, vile stuff. Red has its moments :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Orchard Thieves > Bulmers

Stonewall is the best cider though

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Inviere wrote: »
    You've a pantry to store your wine in too yeah? :D Can't palette white wine, vile stuff. Red has its moments :)

Haha! It doesn't last long enough in my house to even make it to a store room!

I hated white wine until I started traveling around Capetown a bit. One of the best things about going over there is the combination of it being wine country and the insane 15 rand to 1 euro exchange rate.

The conclusion I have come to is the only reason I disliked white wine so much is because anything we get over here that costs under 20 euro a bottle is absolutely pants :D we really do drink the absolute dregs of wine in this country in the entry level price range.

Orchard Thieves > Bulmers

Correct!

Never tried it, must give it a whirl.
    The conclusion I have come to is the only reason I disliked white wine so much is because anything we get over here that costs under 20 euro a bottle is absolutely pants :D we really do drink the absolute dregs of wine in this country in the entry level price range.

More than likely. It's funny, for about a month two years ago I was able to drink white wine & even enjoyed it. Then, suddenly, gone...can't touch it now, pure vinegar :o

I'm partial to making a red wine based homemade Sangria on occasion. Found a 'nectar of the gods' recipe here on boards of all places:

x2 bottles of red wine
    1.5 litres of Sprite
    1.5 litres of Fanta
    Naggin of Brandy
    Freshly squeezed juice of: x2 limes, x2 lemons, x2 oranges
    x1 sliced orange
    x1 sliced apple
    x6 sliced strawberries
    .5 kilo of sugar

^^ leave overnight in the fridge, & come back the next evening to gorge :o

Inviere wrote: »
    Nowt wrong with a can or two of Orchard Thieves (preferably bottled though, and two is enough as its very sweet).

Agreed, but size limitations were a factor.

OcMlnTB.jpg

PqVLa5N.jpg

No matter how hard i tried :):)

SpBoso2.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Los Lobos

Swap the Hennessy for Jameson and we're moving in the right direction ☺

I used to hate all cider but Stonewall opened my eyes to the fact that real cider doesn't have to taste like sweetened rotten apples.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

I can’t really stomach cider anymore after drinking snakebites (half pint of cider and half pint of beer mixed together) for some of my teenage years.

I’ve really gotten into wine too as of the last year, agreed that the sub €20 bottles of wine are swill!

A&R cheese and wine night coming up soon yeah?

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I used to hate all cider but Stonewall opened my eyes to the fact that real cider doesn't have to taste like sweetened rotten apples.

But that's what cider is!

Got a stock alert from dragonbox.de for a BVM late last night and pulled the trigger, all 4 out of stock already now though.

https://www.dragonbox.de/en/698-sony-bvm-14m4de-monitor-monitors.html?search_query=Bvm&results=3

Thanks to o1s1n for the heads up on these, let's pray it arrives safe and sound.

Master of the Universe

Got a stock alert from dragonbox.de for a BVM late last night and pulled the trigger, all 4 out of stock already now though.

https://www.dragonbox.de/en/698-sony-bvm-14m4de-monitor-monitors.html?search_query=Bvm&results=3

Thanks to o1s1n for the heads up on these, let's pray it arrives safe and sound.

Ah deadly! Delighted for ya, you definitely won't be disappointed. I see it's a slightly different model to the one I got, wonder what the year of production is.

Should arrive in good condition, they really box them up well.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement