Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Arcade and Retro Chat - Insert Coin -

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,063 ✭✭✭Doge

I'm totally not looking forward to bringing it up the ladder to the attic! I'm hoping I can slide the cardboard box up and rest it where the steps join. We don't have a fancy spiral stairs like that man that's found of cider! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,759 ✭✭✭Inviere

Doge wrote: »
    I'm totally not looking forward to bringing it up the ladder to the attic! I'm hoping I can slide the cardboard box up and rest it where the steps join. We don't have a fancy spiral stairs like that man that's found of cider! :P

Flashbacks of trying to get a 29" Trini up to, & subsequently out of my own attic. To get it into the attic, the muscle of two people was required. To get it out of the attic, actual engineering was required :o An unbelievable weight in those things.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

It was an epic moment, getting the Trini, only maybe equaled in getting the 42" plasma up the same stairs, that is one heavy telly.
    Plasma's are made of a lot of glass, heavy glass at that!
    I think it was the philosopher knight O1s1n that stated it's a task that can only be achieved if young women are watching, and so feats of strength are required to impress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Doge wrote: »

Unless your attic door is like the entrance to Jurassic Park, I'd say you'd have a hard time fitting the box though, it's pretty massive!

What I'd do is wrap it in bubble wrap and carry it to the mid point join on the ladder you mentioned and rest it there (with the screen facing forward towards the ladder to take the weight) Then get up a few steps and continue on to the top. Will be tricky though. At least they're not nearly as heavy as a 20 inch and are pretty manageable.
    Inviere wrote: »
    Flashbacks of trying to get a 29" Trini up to, & subsequently out of my own attic. To get it into the attic, the muscle of two people was required. To get it out of the attic, actual engineering was required :o An unbelievable weight in those things.

Haha, I remember that! Didn't you craft some kind of pulley system over a crossbeam?

I miss that telly, going to steal it back from The Last Bandit one of these days :D

Master of the Universe

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    It was an epic moment, getting the Trini, only maybe equaled in getting the 42" plasma up the same stairs, that is one heavy telly.
    Plasma's are made of a lot of glass, heavy glass at that!
    I think it was the philosopher knight O1s1n that stated it's a task that can only be achieved if young women are watching, and so feats of strength are required to impress.

The last time I had young women watching me lift I dropped a Pony off a dolly. :(

The wolf whistling must have distracted me...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

o1s1n wrote: »
    The last time I had young women watching me lift I dropped a Pony off a dolly. :(

The wolf whistling must have distracted me...

1395651575_1833230325.gif

Haha, I remember that! Didn't you craft some kind of pulley system over a crossbeam?

Yep, had to decase the tv too so I could use the internal framing as a support for the rope. A Staighre attic ladder & >25" crt's mix they do not :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Unless your attic door is like the entrance to Jurassic Park, I'd say you'd have a hard time fitting the box though, it's pretty massive!

What I'd do is wrap it in bubble wrap and carry it to the mid point join on the ladder you mentioned and rest it there (with the screen facing forward towards the ladder to take the weight) Then get up a few steps and continue on to the top. Will be tricky though. At least they're not nearly as heavy as a 20 inch and are pretty manageable.

I miss that telly, going to steal it back from The Last Bandit one of these days :D

Ha ha not a chance, just moved it into my new gaff yesterday. Had a trolly to move it this time so not too bad to move. And fits perfectly into the alcove in the room :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

got this months Zbox which the theme was Nostalgia

you can skip to 10:20 for the contents
    the only difference in mine was I got Megaman and the gold coin

• Advertisement

Ha ha not a chance, just moved it into my new gaff yesterday. Had a trolly to move it this time so not too bad to move. And fits perfectly into the alcove in the room :)

Where did you move to?
    Will it make it easier to bring my broken crap over for you to repair?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Where did you move to?
    Will it make it easier to bring my broken crap over for you to repair?

We're in Lismullen just outside Navan, getting closer to civilization and Ashborne :)

Need to get fibre broadband installed now and then everything will be so much better !!

We're in Lismullen just outside Navan, getting closer to civilization and Ashborne :)

Need to get fibre broadband installed now and then everything will be so much better !!

Woohoo!
    Half an hour away!

*Outside Last Bandit's New Home Tomorrow*

13972fadd2af43564424b7ff004a2aa0.jpg

This might sound strange, but do ye know the Youtube channel "My Life In Gaming"? Does their intro music make anyone else feel kinda sad, it seems so melancholic :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Relikk

It's really good. One of the more professional sounding YouTube channel themes out there.

Anyone picking up the new sega collection?
    Day one purchase for me. Online connectivity and a new rewind function means I might finally beat the western version of Dynamite Headdy :)
    www.smythstoys.com/ie/en-ie/sega-mega-drive-classics/sega-mega-drive-classics-ps4/p/166057

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Sam Dyer announced this evening the next compendium will be for the Master System, and it will be the very first official one as he is working with SEGA on it. The Kickstarter launches on May 7th.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

Anyone picking up the new sega collection?
    Day one purchase for me. Online connectivity and a new rewind function means I might finally beat the western version of Dynamite Headdy :)
    www.smythstoys.com/ie/en-ie/sega-mega-drive-classics/sega-mega-drive-classics-ps4/p/166057
    I don't know about you, but I'd rather pick up this.

https://www.shopto.net/images-symlink/screenshots//PS4SO07/A.jpg

I don't know about you, but I think that reversible cover should be based on the Saturn instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Is it just me or is connecting a console to a modern TV a pain? I needed a €25 composite adapter for my LG to use my Saturn. I got a composite to HDMI box as a cheaper alternative first but it made the picture worse, fortunately I can get a refund on Amazon.

It looks like composite doesn't improve much over RF so I'll need to go component down the line, does anyone know an inexpensive method for this with the Mega Drive and Saturn? I need another €25 LG adapter for component and the HD Retrovision cable is quite expensive...

You're probably as well to pick up a Sony Trinitron on Adverts for next to nothing, and buy a couple of RGB cables for your consoles.
    It'll be cheaper and they will look much better there.

Master of the Universe

Do modern TVs no longer have scart input sockets? Now there's a scary thought :eek:

• Advertisement

Do modern TVs no longer have scart input sockets? Now there's a scary thought :eek:

The flat panel in my living room is three years old and doesn't have a scart socket.
    It does come with an adaptor though, but to connect it would require me to take the massive thing off the wall again!
    It's a pity but then most of my consoles wouldn't look terribly nice on the 55" anyhow, better on the CRTs upstairs instead.
    I would like to have a PS2 on the main set though...
    Might have to see what I can do...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

I’ve a fairly new Sony 4K tv, was surprised it actually had 1 scart. Can’t say I’ll ever use it though.

Master of the Universe

Just a bit worrying when technology of the future starts omitting analogue standards like scart, which have been around forever :eek: - I guess tech like the Framemeister will need to step in to fill the gap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,713 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

The OSSC is a decent option if tied to a non-CRT, non-Scart, modern display. Obviously CRT isn't going to be an option for everyone, and in time, everyone.
    Cheaper than the Framemeister route, though it's not on the cheap side itself in truth, but represents a far better option than wasting money on cheap scart-HDMI boxes.

Works great with RGB Scart outputs from NTSC Megadrive, Saturn, N64 etc

Master of the Universe

McDermotX wrote: »
    The OSSC is a decent option if tied to a non-CRT, non-Scart, modern display. Obviously CRT isn't going to be an option for everyone, and in time, everyone.
    Cheaper than the Framemeister route, though it's not on the cheap side itself in truth, but represents a far better option than wasting money on cheap scart-HDMI boxes.

Works great with RGB Scart outputs from NTSC Megadrive, Saturn, N64 etc

Yeah I've heard great things about the OSSC, the best one being the apparent low/no lag. I'm waiting for that project to develop a little further before committing though - Hoping a future iteration has an on screen display and some kind of nice enclosure :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,713 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Yeah.....It does look a bit 'project' to be fair ;)

But to be fair to it, it does work well with certain limitations granted. OSD would be fantastic alright, but who knows, it might happen down the line. Unless shelling out for an UltraHDMI mod, I've never seen the a modded N64 look so well over Scart. Haven't tried out SNES, but the Super NT fills that gap already.
    Some component options out there on other devices can obviously still be used without the OSSC, but even component is not a given on TVs going forward.

Don't have any user experience with the Framemeister, but I do hear it's more plug and play relatively speaking, but the OSSC is more to the point so to speak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭megaten

Considering its two generations removed I might as well ask here, is it worth getting a DSI XL? I've thinking about one since I realised they're cheap and 3ds have weird scaling on DS games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Bought a 3DS on ebay lately and I kind of wish I'd got a regular DS. There are tons of good RPGs (which I won't have time to play) but the selection of good games in other genres is quite thin compared to the original system and my hacked DS isn't capable of playing them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,885 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

megaten wrote: »
    Considering its two generations removed I might as well ask here, is it worth getting a DSI XL? I've thinking about one since I realised they're cheap and 3ds have weird scaling on DS games.

Not a whole lot of DSI originals and I think there's region locking on DSI enhanced games so look out for that. Might be better off going for the original DS.

If you hold start and select when powering up a DS games on 3DS it will load a pixel perfect mode. It looks far nicer than the blurry **** that it defaults to but the screen is smaller. I'd still recommend one of the original DS models for Etrian Odyssey as the screen is lovely for map drawing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,885 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I hope everyone is aware that the wii shop channel is closing soon. You can't put points on it after March. Some gems on there worth picking up.

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I hope everyone is aware that the wii shop channel is closing soon. You can't put points on it after March. Some gems on there worth picking up.

I think I've spent everything, the last of the points scored during the great Tesco sale of 2015.
    There are some great games alright,.

Master of the Universe

Hmmm, I have the opportunity to buy a 20 inch Ikegami for 170 delivered.

I've never actually used an Ikegami before, anyone with one be able to tell me if that's worth it or not?

TVL count on this one is about 600, it's a rounded shadow mask tube and not a flat Trinitron style one.

Hmmm, I have the opportunity to buy a 20 inch Ikegami for 170 delivered.

I've never actually used an Ikegami before, anyone with one be able to tell me if that's worth it or not?

TVL count on this one is about 600, it's a rounded shadow mask tube and not a flat Trinitron style one.

I have one, and it's no PVM tbh.
    Also, for some reason, my Composite input isn't working, but RGB works just fine.
    I'd ask if all the inputs are working as they should.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

I personally wouldn't pay more than €20 for one :p

I honestly haven't used mine a whole lot. Tried it with my MD and the picture is top notch on it but I'm no expert for inputs etc.

Master of the Universe

Thanks guys, I think I'll give it a miss so! Need to dial down that magpie impulse :D

I need to get a few more of those tiny Sony PVMs those things are amazing!

Master of the Universe

I need to get a few more of those tiny Sony PVMs those things are amazing!

I wish I'd had one as a kid, would have been amazing for holidays :D

I'd like to get another 3 and have a proper cube of them. Was it you who was trying to split the signal between 4 of them before so each monitor had 1/4 of the image?

Master of the Universe

I'd like to get another 3 and have a proper cube of them. Was it you who was trying to split the signal between 4 of them before so each monitor had 1/4 of the image?

I've chained them together to display the same image on multiple screens, but making a TV wall is a different thing entirely unfortunately.

You need some kind of computer processor to send the video signal to which then spits it up across the screens. I've only really seen them for sale with massive TV walls.

• Advertisement

But think of the 4 player split screen matches!

I've chained them together to display the same image on multiple screens, but making a TV wall is a different thing entirely unfortunately.

You need some kind of computer processor to send the video signal to which then spits it up across the screens. I've only really seen them for sale with massive TV walls.

Ah right, well even the multiple screens would be so good aswell. I'll have those monitors on my ever growing list of wants. I don't think anything on that list is under €100 :P

Master of the Universe

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    But think of the 4 player split screen matches!

That's actually a really great use of that setup. So the video wall processor splits the image up into four, and then rather than keeping them all together you can treat them as separate TVs. In effect, making console link up type games out of any game with a 4 player split screen option.

I wonder is there any software for the PI/video walls?
    Ah right, well even the multiple screens would be so good aswell. I'll have those monitors on my ever growing list of wants. I don't think anything on that list is under €100 :P

heh, I know the feeling. Can never have enough monitors. It's the bloody options that keep me coming back, I really want one now with a pull out drawer with pots :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Guys/Gals

I have the original PAL Megadrive, could somebody tell me which kind of cable I would need for a modern TV please. Is there anywhere in Ireland that sells this ?

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Does anyone bother with complete games? I only get boxed games but generally don't care if it has a manual or not, I just want the cheapest boxed copy that isn't in rag order.

I picked up Moonwalker and Splatterhouse 2 recently for a decent price without manuals. Complete copies seem to be going for €55+ which is a bit too much for me as I never played them back in the day so there's no nostalgia factor for me. They seem to be more sought after and part of me wishes I had complete copies for collectable reasons, even though I don't care about manuals for my other games...

Luckily I'm collecting for Sega and not Nintendo :D

Bare carts are fine for me especially Nintendo games were the boxed mark up is insanity.

Disk based games though I have to have complete.

• Advertisement

ebbsy wrote: »
    Guys/Gals

I have the original PAL Megadrive, could somebody tell me which kind of cable I would need for a modern TV please. Is there anywhere in Ireland that sells this ?

Thanks in advance.

An RGB Scart lead offers the best signal, though bear in mind, your modern tv will make the Megadrive look like absolute manure (if your tv even has an rgb capable scart socket that is). To get the best image on a modern tv, you'll likely need an external scaler like the OSSC...or best case scenario pick up a cheap 21" crt tv.
    DaveyDave wrote: »
    Does anyone bother with complete games? I only get boxed games but generally don't care if it has a manual or not, I just want the cheapest boxed copy that isn't in rag order.

When I was collecting it depended on the system. For nes & snes I was more than happy with cart only. For Megadrive, it was boxed or nothing.

Mega drive is complete only for myself. Even though I sold off a cherry pick from my collection last year I'm buying them back slowly if I can find them for the right price. But not bothered with boxed copies really.

For SNES and NES the cart itself is grand.

Basically if it came in a case I want the manual. The worst is seeing PS2 games with no manual :(

I see n00b Inviere has made it to 1452 posts!
    Does that mean you are out of n00b territory at last?

Master of the Universe

If it's in a clamshell/jewel case etc then boxed and complete every time. I really don't like having manuals missing, makes me sad any time I open the box :pac:

Nintendo cardboard is just too expensive though, gave that up years ago - it was between that or the crack cocaine and I thought I'd go with the cheaper option.

90% of games I wouldn't mind at all if the manual is missing but when it comes to the very high priced items where its gonna cost an arm and a leg no matter what you do, then I'll insist on the complete package

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement