Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Arcade and Retro Chat - Insert Coin -

Comments

Fancy looking Oddworld collection on Kickstarter now.
    Not entirely sure why two successful companies need a Kickstarter to get this out but anyway, looks nice
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1869209521/oddworld-abes-origins-book-and-game-collection

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,731 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Fancy looking Oddworld collection on Kickstarter now.
    Not entirely sure why two successful companies need a Kickstarter to get this out but anyway, looks nice
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1869209521/oddworld-abes-origins-book-and-game-collection

Print runs like this are quite expensive & require a good bit of capital; capital they might not have.

Looks interesting really.
    Despite not growing up with a PS1 I do remember loving the look of Oddworld games.

Limited Run games definitely have the capital to do a limited print run and the other lads have released books in the past though. I feel a lot of people are taking advantage of Kickstarter as a means of glorified pre orders.
    I'm liking the look of it but i'm thinking I might just wait for the general release

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 225 ✭✭frasr

Some oddities do come up
    https://www.donedeal.ie/games-for-sale/retro-arcade-game-namco-propcycle/18089430

NjNiZGVlNTM1NGE4OThjMzdlNzYwY2U2MWY1NzViNGKUvG212H3Voz4orGG8iCwUaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b185NTYxNjc3NHx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

& also an interesting virtua racing double cab
    https://www.donedeal.ie/kitchenappliances-for-sale/old-arcade-machines/18237059
    ZTZhYzRkZGVkZTc1NTE2MmExNWQ4ZWRkZjA1MzRkMzMBT7cGSl-tUPvsSslydfUnaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b185NjgyODg0Nnx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg
    not working and possibly missing the seat(s), but I can't tell if it's a standup or not
    I wonder how much they are looking for it. Due to it not working, size etc it shouldn't be much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

That Virtua Racing looks interesting, it's a sit down with a detachable seat section;

6692cfb33593b372dcbcbb07fd23c6af.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,759 ✭✭✭Inviere

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I see n00b Inviere has made it to 1452 posts!
    Does that mean you are out of n00b territory at last?

Only another 30k odd posts & I can close my account again :D
    o1s1n wrote: »
    That Virtua Racing looks interesting, it's a sit down with a detachable seat section;

6692cfb33593b372dcbcbb07fd23c6af.jpg

Grail cab right there Cidey!

Master of the Universe

Inviere wrote: »
    Only another 30k odd posts & I can close my account again :D

Not before you level up to admin again and bring the Sega forum back! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,759 ✭✭✭Inviere

Not before you level up to admin again and bring the Sega forum back! :pac:

I've taught Cidey everything I know, it's in his hands now :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Inviere wrote: »

Grail cab right there Cidey!

That and Robotron, I'd probably just need them, a bed and a pot to p1ss in.
    I'm sure the wife and son can visit on the weekends, help me empty the pot....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 225 ✭✭frasr

How easy is it to put other pcb's in the racing cab? Are they jamma?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

I'm trying to remember if they had the version of Virtua Racing with full cars in Eyre Square Supermacs upstairs. They definitely had 8 linked cabs anyway it was pretty amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭geotrig

frasr wrote: »
    How easy is it to put other pcb's in the racing cab? Are they jamma?

No 24 hzmonitor and not jamma

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,063 ✭✭✭Doge

I'm trying to remember if they had the version of Virtua Racing with full cars in Eyre Square Supermacs upstairs. They definitely had 8 linked cabs anyway it was pretty amazing.

Was only up there on Sunday, had no idea it was once an arcade haven!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The Japanese poster for the Rampage movie is awesome:

446742.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭BGOllie

oh wow. it is indeed.
    no interest in seeing the film but , THAT's a movie poster I'd have in my room !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Still blown away by how random that movie is. Like what's the point in even getting the rampage name for it? Anyone who actually cares about Rampage won't be bothered with the Rock and CGI monsters IMO.

That said, the poster is so good! Japanese posters are usually the best when it comes to movie posters

Just look at this one for Kong Skull Island, another crap movie btw

kong-skull-island-rare-japanese-movie-poster-27x40-in-2017.jpg

Doge wrote: »
    Was only up there on Sunday, had no idea it was once an arcade haven!

They'd a Funworld upstairs that was quality in its heyday. Maybe 80 cabinets and 10 pins. Around 1991 til 2003 they put it on freeplay and it was maybe 2 pounds an hour, and left maybe 20 modern cabs in a per credit section but they'd rotate in a few modern ones as well so you could play the hell out of something like Cyber Cycles for an hour relatively cheaply.

Leisureworld in Salthill had 50+ cabinets in the early 90's as well so plenty to keep you busy for the day in Galway.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I would love the VR cab alright, just nowhere to put it :(
    And, as far as I know, they aren't the most reliable cabs in the world and very bespoke.
    Buggerit!

Re: The Rampage poster.
    It's hard to take a Dwayne Johnson movie seriously.
    When I see The Rock in a film, running in a shirt two sizes too small I have to wonder what movie this could be, an urban or jungle backdrop does not much to whittle the choices down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

He must be a big Midway fan. Hasn't he been attached to a Spyhunter project for some time now?

• Advertisement

DinoRex wrote: »
    He must be a big Midway fan. Hasn't he been attached to a Spyhunter project for some time now?

The movie was all a go, and the tie in game made, then the movie evaporated, that's years ago now.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spy_Hunter:_Nowhere_to_Run
    That's 2006!
    According to the always accurate Wiki page Johnson is no longer attached the now 12 year old movie property.

The first two games I played on the PS2, they were pretty good tbf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Burzum

Any one recommend a good joystick or controller for Amstrad 464 plus and Atari 520ST.

Thanks in advance :)

Burzum wrote: »
    Any one recommend a good joystick or controller for Amstrad 464 plus and Atari 520ST.

Thanks in advance :)

They'll take C64 joysticks, won't they?

You can get new Competition Pro sticks here:

http://amigastore.eu/en/307-competition-pro-joystick-retro.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Burzum

Thanks for the link will order 1 this weekend :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,079 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

They'll take C64 joysticks, won't they?

You can get new Competition Pro sticks here:

http://amigastore.eu/en/307-competition-pro-joystick-retro.html

Sega Master system pad will work too.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

I know you have to be mindful of some of the console gamepads with more than one button as they can send an electrical charge into your computer that it isn't able to take and can cause a fault over time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 643 ✭✭✭smurf492

They sure did. And a very busy machine it was too. Great place it was. Was in seapoint salthill on Saturday and sad to see what it has become

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,079 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

I know you have to be mindful of some of the console gamepads with more than one button as they can send an electrical charge into your computer that it isn't able to take and can cause a fault over time.

True enough, master system one worked fine on my ST bitd, and works fine with a Kempston interface on my Spectrums today, though you are quite right to suggest caution.

Comp Pro, zipstick or the superior Powerplay Cruiser joystick can be got for under twenty pounds on ebay and are pretty bombproof joysticks.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Belle & Sebastian in vicar street a couple of nights ago.

Spot the games in the background.

I see californian games, I think paperboy but looks the wrong direction. Moonbuggy, maybe pole position.

I know this is a bit of a long shot but my buddy is turning 30 in April and his missus wants to get him a sonic the hedgehog themed cake with 30 rings. Can anyone recommend a cake maker that would do a decent job on it

Whereabouts are you located?

• Advertisement

I know this is a bit of a long shot but my buddy is turning 30 in April and his missus wants to get him a sonic the hedgehog themed cake with 30 rings. Can anyone recommend a cake maker that would do a decent job on it

A cake of tremendous power you're looking for? ;) One with all the chaos emeralds perhaps!

Whereabouts are you located?

Cork, should've mentioned that in the original post, sorry

Doge wrote: »
    A cake of tremendous power you're looking for? ;) One with all the chaos emeralds perhaps!

That would tick all the boxes. :)

That would tick all the boxes. :)

Try doing a Facebook search for decorative cakes cork and click pages I'd say. Should be able to decide by reviews and photos.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

So the Dreamcast arcade stick seems to go for €75+ so that's a no. It doesn't seem like I can use the thumbstick in Marvel Vs Capcom and the 4-way dpad is a bit crap, is there any alternatives?

Why didn't they use the 8 way d-pad like the Saturn...

DaveyDave wrote: »
    So the Dreamcast arcade stick seems to go for €75+ so that's a no. It doesn't seem like I can use the thumbstick in Marvel Vs Capcom and the 4-way dpad is a bit crap, is there any alternatives?

Why didn't they use the 8 way d-pad like the Saturn...

There seems to be some other arcade sticks out there for the DC but they all come in around the same price or more expensive.
    At least with the Arcade Stick you are buying a stick that is very good and moddable, so you'll only have to buy one... maybe two!

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    There seems to be some other arcade sticks out there for the DC but they all come in around the same price or more expensive.
    At least with the Arcade Stick you are buying a stick that is very good and moddable, so you'll only have to buy one... maybe two!

The only fighting game I really care for is Marvel Vs Capcom. Street Fighter Alpha 3 is ok but I prefer the Capcom/Darkstalkers mix. That and they're all damn expensive so not really looking at investing in any more.

If I get a bonus in work then I'll get one :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

DaveyDave wrote: »
    The only fighting game I really care for is Marvel Vs Capcom. Street Fighter Alpha 3 is ok but I prefer the Capcom/Darkstalkers mix. That and they're all damn expensive so not really looking at investing in any more.

If I get a bonus in work then I'll get one :P

The Japanese versions are pretty common, might be a better way to go.

And, need it be said there are.... other ways, ahem, to play DC games on a DC.... with, like, things and whatnot....
    oh look!
    A squirrel!

Apparently my Dreamcast is the revision that needs a 'disc' but it didn't need one when I tried...

The only game I can think of that I'd like is Vampire Chronicle but that was NTSC-J only anyway, maybe House of the Dead 2 for the novelty of being Japanese.

Saturn on the other hand I might get the Action Replay cart because House of the Dead is feckin expensive and there's only one PAL copy on eBay at the moment that isn't selling but keeps getting relisted at about €80...

I've also noticed it's cheaper to get NTSC games actually from Japan, rather than off some bloke in the UK trying to sell the novelty. I was thinking about picking up the Silent Hill series in Japanese (complete waste of money as I wouldn't be able to play them, but I collect the series and also like the look of Japanese things and they weren't expensive either)

I also found out the hard way that a cart adapter for the Mega Drive won't play NTSC games. So I had to sell my Japanese copy of Sonic 2 :(

• Advertisement

A friend had a Honeybee adapter seemed to play Japanese MD games OK but that was early days before they introduced the software lock.

Master of the Universe

About 70% of Megadrive games aren't region locked. (Could have sworn Sonic 2 wasn't) All those honey bee adapters do is let the cart fit in the cart slot. You can get around that by just cutting the two thin plastic tabs off the cart slot on the console.

The mega drive region mod is super easy to do. Every console should have that as a standard these days.

I'm no modder or anything but even I found that a doddle to do

My dad improvised the cart slot mod back in the day with a plyers, hammer and screwdriver scratching it to bits in the process. It's a wonder he didn't break it outright with his DIY skills.

Master of the Universe

My dad improvised the cart slot mod back in the day with a plyers, hammer and screwdriver scratching it to bits in the process. It's a wonder he didn't break it outright with his DIY skills.

Jaysus! :D

Sharp knife and a gas hob is all you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

GASP! T-TH-TH-THE-THE-THE RAGE!

29572882_1844923775527442_3058665713982247095_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=ac82d075eec514bd62891a47a4861f2d&oe=5B706507

ebbsy wrote: »
    Guys/Gals

I have the original PAL Megadrive, could somebody tell me which kind of cable I would need for a modern TV please. Is there anywhere in Ireland that sells this ?

Thanks in advance.

Bit late replying to this but if your TV has a scart input then you should buy one of the RGB Scart cables as suggested, and if the TV doesn't support it you can buy this Ex-Pro AV Pro Scart to HDMI converter which does a great job for the price.
    It won't give you scanlines but it has excellent colour compared to some other converters out there:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ex-Pro-AV-Pro-Converter-Output-Upscaler-Black/dp/B00ABOB1NU/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Antibac

About 70% of Megadrive games aren't region locked. (Could have sworn Sonic 2 wasn't) All those honey bee adapters do is let the cart fit in the cart slot. You can get around that by just cutting the two thin plastic tabs off the cart slot on the console.

Is there anywhere that has a list of region locked ones O1s1n?

Antibac wrote: »

Just mod the Megadrive. I mean there's absolutely no reason not to have it modded as you are crippling yourself with 50Hz and won't have to worry about region locking BS.

• Advertisement

Antibac wrote: »

http://segaage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=45&threadid=83645

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement